HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   TSN: Bobby Mac on the Habs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=684571)

HomaridII 09-25-2009 09:23 AM

Bobby Mac on the Habs

Video is on the TSN Site ... I don't know how to post the link. It his 6 teams in 6 days tour.

He says it all comes down to Price, that he is still not sure what to make of the team but that the team could be like Carolina's during their cup run.

That Habs Fan 09-25-2009 09:49 AM

I like Bob, but it is beginning to baffle me how lazy TSN journos are becoming, their videos are almost verbatim copies of the articles posted to their site.

Whichever came first, video packages and online articles should offer different content...

At least I do agree (somewhat) with that content.

Pascal 09-25-2009 10:03 AM

at least he's not all negative like everyone else. The Habs will surprise a lot of people this year, again.

JeromeHP 09-25-2009 10:08 AM

bobby mac is the man

anyway for those interested he's on twitter now http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

25th 09-25-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 21263752)
at least he's not all negative like everyone else. The Habs will surprise a lot of people this year, again.

You are right buddy!

Pascal 09-25-2009 10:16 AM

he is the man indeed, born and raised in TO and he can still say it:

there is mtl and there is the rest of the league. Not even close. first time in the Forum was a religious experience
about 14 hours ago from mobile web

bipolarhabfan 09-25-2009 10:45 AM

He is one of the only hockey "experts" that I respect. He is rational, tries to be as objective as possible, and he does not give his audience a sense of what his fav team is, if he even has one.

417 09-25-2009 10:47 AM

One of the few 'experts' who came up with a better rationale for the Habs than just

"they're too small, so they'll suck"

dre2112 09-25-2009 10:48 AM

who cares about predictions? Stop wasting your team reading that crap and let the game speak for itself on the ice

Bullsmith 09-25-2009 10:54 AM

Im a Bobby Mac fan too. It's not that his predictions are especially accurate, whose are, but they're honest and informed. I'm sick of seeing Toronto-based media predict the Leafs to make the playoffs and the Habs to fall out every year, regardless of the product on the ice. Those guys are just trying sell magazines, Bobby Mac is actually trying to analyze the teams as best he can. I was really impressed by how he treated both the Habs and the Leafs new rosters.

Habs10Habs 09-25-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomaridII (Post 21263362)
Video is on the TSN Site ... I don't know how to post the link. It his 6 teams in 6 days tour.

He says it all comes down to Price, that he is still not sure what to make of the team but that the team could be like Carolina's during their cup run.

I think that is a fair assessment. For us to do well, Price or Halak will have to play a very important role. If neither can step up, we will be in for a long season. If they do, I feel that we can surprise a lot of people this season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le CH Sont La (Post 21263628)
I like Bob, but it is beginning to baffle me how lazy TSN journos are becoming, their videos are almost verbatim copies of the articles posted to their site.

Whichever came first, video packages and online articles should offer different content...

At least I do agree (somewhat) with that content.

They do that because most people will only watch the video, or read the article. If the opinion is coming from the same person (Bob McKenzie in this instance), I see no reason to have different content in each.

PunkinDrublic* 09-25-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 21264305)
I think that is a fair assessment. For us to do well, Price or Halak will have to play a very important role. If neither can step up, we will be in for a long season. If they do, I feel that we can surprise a lot of people this season.

They do that because most people will only watch the video, or read the article. If the opinion is coming from the same person (Bob McKenzie in this instance), I see no reason to have different content in each.

Although i agree with what you said and i do like BM's input and find him to be very hockey savy. The goaltending thing can be said about an team in the NHL.
eg. Toronto " the monster" Boston " Thomos " Ottawa " Leclaire "
Rangers " Lundvquist" see what i mean. I find saying it's all about goaltending is way too general of a vision.

Rise from the Ashes 09-25-2009 11:01 AM

Maybe it may be general. But in the Habs' case, it is all about how Price plays. That is the reality; Martin and Gainey know it as well.

ChickenHabsFan 09-25-2009 11:06 AM

Price will have a good season im sure. And Halak will be solid too. Price has too much talent to just plain suck. Last season everybody collapsed we cannot blame Price. Injuries, medias and too much pressure killed us last season. This year I am not saying we will finish first because you have to understand teams like Philly, Washington and Pittsburg are sure values (and we have everything to prove). But im comfortable right now with our line-up. Once Markov and Spacek get it going on the PP, most experts will realize they were wrong

Habs10Habs 09-25-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration (Post 21264349)
Although i agree with what you said and i do like BM's input and find him to be very hockey savy. The goaltending thing can be said about an team in the NHL.
eg. Toronto " the monster" Boston " Thomos " Ottawa " Leclaire "
Rangers " Lundvquist" see what i mean. I find saying it's all about goaltending is way too general of a vision.

There are other teams in the NHL besides Montreal? :amazed:

Just kidding, I know what you mean. There are plenty of teams who's goaltending can be considered "questionable" for this upcoming season.

But taken in an individual case, it definitely rings true for our beloved Habs. Especially considering the inconsistencies both of our goalies showed last season.

Pascal 09-25-2009 11:14 AM

It's not all about Price.. Martin's system and how the players buy into it is the other big part. Judging on the players Gainey got it we don't have to worry about that last part.

Montreal Typical 09-25-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montréal Russians (Post 21264371)
Maybe it may be general. But in the Habs' case, it is all about how Price plays. That is the reality; Martin and Gainey know it as well.

It's not all about Price, especially considering how much Halak has improved since last season. He was below average during most of the last season, but his play has improved a lot over the course of the season and he was playing better than Price at the end of the season. He has also been much better than Price so far in these pre-season games.

We may very well have a Roy/Hayward type of situation here with neither goaltender being able to affirm himself at the top goaltender for a while.

RC51 09-25-2009 11:46 AM

ok, so if your number one goalie has a bad year your team wont make the playoffs, is that what he said? For that statement to any worth at all then out of the 30 NHL teams the vast majority must NOT have the same problem is if their team #1 goalie has a bad year it wont matter much the team will still make the playoff. OK start naming all the teams that all this would be true.
if your teams #1 goalie has a bad year you won't make the playoffs is about that same as if you stop breathing for a long time you won't live long. This I should get paid to announce to the world?

Habs 09-25-2009 11:54 AM

Don't tell Detroit you have to have the best goalie to make the playoffs, and go far into them.

HotPie 09-25-2009 12:03 PM

Well, he does have a point.

If Price picks up where he left off last season, we're in trouble.

I don't think we're at the point where Price needs to play lights out every night for us to win games, but he needs to show that he can be consistent enough to be relied upon.

I'm confident that our new acquisitions will gel given time, and I'm hopeful that Price will bounce back, but like it or not, a lot of our success is contingent on the fact that Price simply needs to be better than last season.

Bryzga lol* 09-25-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le CH Sont La (Post 21263628)
I like Bob, but it is beginning to baffle me how lazy TSN journos are becoming

Agreed, they don't seem to be offering anything insightful anymore, too scared to take risks

The segment they're doing now, the "30 teams in 30 Days", is pure garbage. After reading a few I stopped following, very boring and predictable. Poorly organized as well, they can't seem to write up a whole analysis so they steal a bit of Scott Cullen's write ups.

Jedrik 09-25-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 21264305)

Hopefully Martin can manage the 'tandem' goalie system better than Carbo. I felt that Price was handed too many starts after strong play by Halak. I think Price'll be the long-term goalie for us, by I want to see him properly pushed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51 (Post 21264798)
ok, so if your number one goalie has a bad year your team wont make the playoffs, is that what he said? For that statement to any worth at all then out of the 30 NHL teams the vast majority must NOT have the same problem is if their team #1 goalie has a bad year it wont matter much the team will still make the playoff. OK start naming all the teams that all this would be true.
if your teams #1 goalie has a bad year you won't make the playoffs is about that same as if you stop breathing for a long time you won't live long. This I should get paid to announce to the world?

It's easy to simplify something and then categorically dismiss it based on you own simplification. I'm guessing you didn't watch the vid if that's all you got from it. He said it'll be important for Price to buy time until Martin can get the jigsaw puzzle together, and he finished by saying "Honestly, I don't know what to make of the Montreal Canadiens," which is an eager wait-and-see approach we who follow the team and anyone with sense would adopt rather than pegging them for 'spot X' in the standings. In a universe of god-awful reporters I think Bob's one of the few guys who deserves the cash and works for it.

Analyzer 09-25-2009 01:22 PM

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip217199

Habs re-wind. A look at last season.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip216904

Bobby mac's take on the habs.

chillmat 09-25-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre2112 (Post 21264221)
who cares about predictions? Stop wasting your team reading that crap and let the game speak for itself on the ice

+1 :yo:

Munchausen 09-25-2009 01:32 PM

I don't think it's fair to rest the Habs' success on the goaltenders' shoulders, at least no more than any other team. An organization that counts on depth at every position and quality players like Markov, Spacek, Hamrlik, Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri shouldn't see his faith held hostage by his goaltending's ability to steal the show. Price will need to play well, but no more than any of these other guys.

Keys to me this year are collective : chemistry and the coach's ability to have everybody pull in the same direction.