HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Injury Report: Brian Boucher (out 7-10 days, lower body -- post #47); Backlund recalled (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=685208)

MiamiScreamingEagles 09-26-2009 10:36 PM

Brian Boucher (out 7-10 days, lower body -- post #47); Backlund recalled
 
http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...466&feedID=695

Quote:

Backup goalie Brian Boucher suffered what is believed to be either a groin pull or hip injury Saturday night, during a 1-0 loss to the Devils at Prudential Center.

The Flyers are calling it a “lower body” injury.

The timing here could not be worse, with the regular season set to begin Friday night in Carolina and with Boucher not having looked “action” ready, like starter Ray Emery has.

“It was [on] movement,” Boucher said, choosing his words carefully, to describe how he got hurt. “Lower body injury. That’s it. I really can’t elaborate.”

He said he did not take a shot, nor did he get hit. He said the pain was “not severe,” and that it was not an injury he’s had had before.

Is it cause for concern?

“No,” Boucher said.

Boucher played just 11:54 into the first period, giving up the game’s only goal on just three shots.

Ironically, this was to have been Boucher’s first full game in net this preseason.

“It’s disappointing,” he said. “When you’re a new guy on a team, it’s not what you are looking to do, having to come out of the game and subject your partner [Emery] to that, coming in cold when he’s supposed to have the night off.”

The Flyers expect to have a medical update on Boucher on Sunday.

“They [training staff] don’t think it’s too bad,” said coach John Stevens. “He’s got a little bit of an issue there and we don’t want to push it.”

Sawdalite 09-26-2009 10:54 PM

With Boucher's play being well below standards so far, and now this injury... which may be the type that is often one that lingers with goalies throughout the season (groin)... I suggest that Homer explores obtaining Biron from the Isles. Marty is signed for the year cheap, and would fit in well as a back up that could step up if needed... and the Isles have an excess of goalies with number one experience.

I brought this up in the Jones thread... suggesting they trade Jone for Biron.

ShawnTHW 09-26-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersJunky (Post 21288678)
With Boucher's play being well below standards so far, and now this injury... which may be the type that is often one that lingers with goalies throughout the season (groin)... I suggest that Homer explores obtaining Biron from the Isles. Marty is signed for the year cheap, and would fit in well as a back up that could step up if needed... and the Isles have an excess of goalies with number one experience.

I brought this up in the Jones thread... suggesting they trade Jone for Biron.

No thanks to Biron. I would rather have Roloson. Im letting the Biron ship sail and I hope it never returns.

Sawdalite 09-26-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 21288725)
No thanks to Biron. I would rather have Roloson. Im letting the Biron ship sail and I hope it never returns.

Even at a bargain basement Cap hit... and a BU role?

Garbage Goal 09-26-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

No thanks to Biron. I would rather have Roloson. Im letting the Biron ship sail and I hope it never returns.
That's silly to say. Biron was never the reason for our playoff failures and he always got way more flak then he deserved. He was a good guy and a good enough goalie.

But to say that you won't even have him as a backup at a bargain price? Come on.

I think that would be the best option. Isles would probably do it and I personally believe that that would be one of the best one-two punches in the league in net. It would probably be smart to clear a bit of cap space first though since his cap hit is almost as big as Emery's (IIRC).

chimrichalds18 09-26-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersJunky (Post 21288790)
Even at a bargain basement Cap hit... and a BU role?

in the nhl '10 world, it would be fine. but bringing biron back in here, i donno, that seems like it could get awkward and weird kind of quickly.

ArmchairGM 09-26-2009 11:08 PM

The Isles wouldn't give him back for cheap. It would probably take at least a 2nd round pick.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. It's not worth bringing in Biron because the Biron apologists will still want him to start.

GKJ 09-26-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersJunky (Post 21288678)
With Boucher's play being well below standards so far, and now this injury... which may be the type that is often one that lingers with goalies throughout the season (groin)... I suggest that Homer explores obtaining Biron from the Isles. Marty is signed for the year cheap, and would fit in well as a back up that could step up if needed... and the Isles have an excess of goalies with number one experience.

I brought this up in the Jones thread... suggesting they trade Jone for Biron.

If it's a goalie they want, they're probably better off having someone hit waivers.

ShawnTHW 09-26-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersJunky (Post 21288790)
Even at a bargain basement Cap hit... and a BU role?

I dont hate him because I think he was the reason he lost the playoffs for us. Even as a backup goalie, he would still suck. Its Biron. I dont care how cheap he is. I wouldnt take him for free. Hell I wouldnt even take him on my roller hockey league team.

ArmchairGM 09-26-2009 11:20 PM

Manny Fernandez?

But then what do you do with Boucher? For the record, I wouldn't make any moves.

PhilaFlyers 09-26-2009 11:30 PM

Boucher has been horrible.

Kaktus* 09-26-2009 11:44 PM

So far... Seems like Boucher did not come here to play hockey.

dbr2 09-26-2009 11:54 PM

Danis? Oh wait..

Fernandez is out there.

mercury 09-26-2009 11:58 PM

Maybe it's bad and he goes on LTIR? There will be goalies available next week, I am sure.

DrinkFightFlyers 09-27-2009 12:06 AM

so if he's hurt to start the year...backlund? ugh.

Sawdalite 09-27-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmchairGM (Post 21288848)
The Isles wouldn't give him back for cheap. It would probably take at least a 2nd round pick.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. It's not worth bringing in Biron because the Biron apologists will still want him to start.

When I said cheap, I meant his contract... which was signed very low, and I believe well below Emery cost... more like the Boucher contract.

I would put Boucher in the AHL when he came off IR... If it is a groin, he may be pretty well shot for the year... and he wasn't looking too good before the injury, anyway.

As for those who believe it would be awkward; Biron wanted to stay here, and he wants to prove he can still be a number one by being a back up and winning a job. Emery also wants to prove he is still a number one... One very well may play himself into a larger contract and off the Flyers; if Emery, in a #1 role earns a big deal, he can be let go, and Biron could be signed for next season if he proves he still has it... or the Flyers can re-sign Emery bat a big raise, or they could look elsewhere. In any event, I believe Marty would come in to win the job without causing trouble.

EDIT: I don't think he would get that much support here to start over Emery... as long as Emery continues to look and play well... and win. If he doesn't, Marty would deserve a shot at the job.

Mota 09-27-2009 12:08 AM

If they could get Biron back, it would be pretty awesome. Itd be nice to have some more certain security if the Emery experiment blows up in their face.

I think Ray will do fine, but I would feel a lot better having Marty back.

DrinkFightFlyers 09-27-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersJunky (Post 21288790)
Even at a bargain basement Cap hit... and a BU role?

that would never work. biron is a starting goalie. bringing him in would make a guy who has a history of being a poor teammate feel like he isn't wanted which would definitely effect his play. if someone else is brought in it would have to be another career backup guy. i am not knocking biron, he is a good goalie, i wouldn't have been mad if he stayed in philly, but they have emery now and they have to stick with that, at least until it is a problem (which i don't think will be the case at all). bringing in another starting goalie would show a serious lack of confidence in emery which would surely get into his head. also i don't think biron would like playing second fiddle to a guy who once beat him up.

Sawdalite 09-27-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 21289331)
Maybe it's bad and he goes on LTIR? There will be goalies available next week, I am sure.

Who... and at what cost?

sa cyred 09-27-2009 12:11 AM

Sooner or later we are going to have to try not be be so cheap and sign a starting goalie starting money.

Also I agree that bringing Biron back makes Emery look like he isnt wanted here. We signed Emery to be our number one, and then we go and resign our last year's number one. Yea... thats not great for confidence at all.

sa cyred 09-27-2009 12:15 AM

Oh and I think they will give Backlund the backup job first before going out and getting anyone else.

Sawdalite 09-27-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 21289432)
that would never work. biron is a starting goalie. bringing him in would make a guy who has a history of being a poor teammate feel like he isn't wanted which would definitely effect his play. if someone else is brought in it would have to be another career backup guy. i am not knocking biron, he is a good goalie, i wouldn't have been mad if he stayed in philly, but they have emery now and they have to stick with that, at least until it is a problem (which i don't think will be the case at all). bringing in another starting goalie would show a serious lack of confidence in emery which would surely get into his head. also i don't think biron would like playing second fiddle to a guy who once beat him up.

Marty is what? Number three on the Isles -- a bad, very bad team -- now?... Being #2 on a Cup contender, and one he likes, is a step up. He wanted to stay he, and would have been paid much more if he wasn't demanding a long contract at too high a figure. This gives them both a shot to prove their worth; head to head competition.

... And, I don't see him as the type to hold a grudge.

Sawdalite 09-27-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 21289445)
Sooner or later we are going to have to try not be be so cheap and sign a starting goalie starting money.

Also I agree that bringing Biron back makes Emery look like he isnt wanted here. We signed Emery to be our number one, and then we go and resign our last year's number one. Yea... thats not great for confidence at all.

Remember Homer was looking to sign Marty also when he first signed Emery... and Razor was fine with that.

And this is no time to spend big... when there is no Cap space to do so. Besides, that goes against what you're saying about not allowing Emery to gain confidence and feel wanted.

coda 09-27-2009 12:25 AM

...Backlund anyone?...I didnt think he looked that bad...

Sawdalite 09-27-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coda (Post 21289550)
...Backlund anyone?...I didnt think he looked that bad...

From all I hear, he didn't look that good. :shakehead


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.