HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Proposal: Schubert (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=685773)

Glen Teflon Sather 09-28-2009 12:58 PM

Schubert

Was just waived by Ottawa, I'm not a fan of Semenov for the 7th d spot, I just wanna see/debate on what people think of Schubert to fill the void of 7th d-man. He's physical and dirty at times, and is versatile and can also play forward. And you can't go wrong with German efficiency;)

turcotte8 09-28-2009 01:03 PM

How about we keep Semenov, claim Schubert and release Rozi? :D

n8 09-28-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangers32185 (Post 21309702)
Was just waived by Ottawa, I'm not a fan of Semenov for the 7th d spot, I just wanna see/debate on what people think of Schubert to fill the void of 7th d-man. He's physical and dirty at times, and is versatile and can also play forward. And you can't go wrong with German efficiency;)

Torts is already sold on Semenov. I highly doubt it. Don't know enough about Schubert's game to make a comparison.

CM Lundqvist 09-28-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 21309762)

Ok, if you wanna lead the league in goals allowed, sure.

Replacing Redden or Rozsival with Semenov or Schubert is not going to help an already suspect defense.

hlundqvist30* 09-28-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 21309762)

Because who needs a defenseman who has averaged 10.3 goals and 36 points the past 3 years when we can pick up one that was so bad he was placed on waivers...

turcotte8 09-28-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldshot (Post 21309831)
Ok, if you wanna lead the league in goals allowed, sure.

Replacing Redden or Rozsival with Semenov or Schubert is not going to help an already suspect defense.

Because Rozi is soooo good defensively.

Glen Teflon Sather 09-28-2009 01:17 PM

Wow I didn't wanna start a Rozy/Redden debate I just wanted to suggest/debate Schubert instead of Semenov as the 7th

pwoz 09-28-2009 01:23 PM

The problem with this team's defense is that we suck at defense. Girardi is slipping, Redden is mediocre, and Rozsival is pathetic.

Rozsival should go to the KHL. I'd take Schubert/Semenov as 6th/7th ANY DAY over Blozsival.

nyr2k2 09-28-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 21309924)

And yet he's light years ahead of the flotsam percolating through the waiver wire right now.

Vitto79 09-28-2009 01:48 PM

no pt just keep Semenov

Inferno 09-28-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

When Rozsival is on his game, hes easily the 2nd best defenseman in his own zone.

The key to it is to have him on his game. He's one of a few high paid guys that we have where you can actually envision him earning his paycheck.

hlundqvist30* 09-28-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Not everyone can be a wizard in their own zone like the great and almighty Christoph Schubert...

RyanBozak 09-28-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 21310371)
Not everyone can be a wizard in their own zone like the great and almighty Christoph Schubert...

Not everyone can be a wizard in the offensive zone like the great and almighty Schubert either...

clmetsfan 09-28-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwoz (Post 21310004)
The problem with this team's defense is that we suck at defense. Girardi is slipping, Redden is mediocre, and Rozsival is pathetic.

Rozsival should go to the KHL. I'd take Schubert/Semenov as 6th/7th ANY DAY over Blozsival.

Wow. Forget Messier, you should be the one being groomed to take over for Slats.

It's amazing to me that some people can't tell the difference between being overpaid and being worthless.

turcotte8 09-28-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 21310371)

I never said Schubert was great, but I'd rather have a crappy defenseman making $800,000 for 1 more year than a crappy defenseman making 5 million for 3 more.

Fitzy 09-28-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clmetsfan (Post 21310445)
Wow. Forget Messier, you should be the one being groomed to take over for Slats.

It's amazing to me that some people can't tell the difference between being overpaid and being worthless.

Amen brother, Amen.

Yes, lets release the senior member of our team who when on his game is a #1, and bring in someone who was waived by a non-playoff team. Capital thinking.

mti79 09-28-2009 02:26 PM

I saw Schubert was waived and also had thoughts that maybe we should take him as a bottom pairing/7th d-man.... However, it seems impossible these days to have any conversation about that because it automatically comes back to Redden/Rosey....
As much as people like to gripe, whine, *****, moan, complain about them, they are in our top 4... Add in Staal, Girardi and Gilroy and we have 5/7 slots filled. The debate becomes Del Zotto vs. Semenov vs. a Schubert like player vs. Sangs vs. Potter etc....
Does the club feel MDZ can play at the NHL level all year... who knows? We'll get a better idea after we see his 9 games. Then they'll have to make a decision and if MDZ goes back to juniors, we'll need someone. If management doesn't feel Sangs/Potter or anyone else in Hartford can help, maybe they'll go with a Semenov/Schubert rotation or bring in another veteran....

Just because we're talking defense, doesn't mean it has to turn into a Redden sucks or a Rosey blows thread... I'm sure there are other threads available for that....

turcotte8 09-28-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 21310247)
When Rozsival is on his game, hes easily the 2nd best defenseman in his own zone.

And when was that? 2 years ago?
He was terrible all of last year beside the last 2 weeks or so and was ok in the playoffs.
He looks like he took a major step back during the preseason games and they said during yesterday's game he's having trouble keeping up with all the skating Torts is making them do.
He might have been better in Renney's more cautious system but I think he's going have problems with an up-tempo style where he has to make quick decisions.

nyr2k2 09-28-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 21310471)
I never said Schubert was great, but I'd rather have a crappy defenseman making $800,000 for 1 more year than a crappy defenseman making 5 million for 3 more.

Okay, let's assume for a second that "crappy" is a label befitting Michal Rozsival (it isn't, but I'll play along). If Rozsival is crappy, then Chistoph Schubert is crap cubed.

The two players are not even remotely close in terms of talent. That Schubert was waived by a very, very average defensive team in Ottawa ought to tell you enough.

hlundqvist30* 09-28-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 21310580)
And when was that? 2 years ago?
He was terrible all of last year beside the last 2 weeks or so and was ok in the playoffs.
He looks like he took a major step back during the preseason games and they said during yesterday's game he's having trouble keeping up with all the skating Torts is making them do.
He might have been better in Renney's more cautious system but I think he's going have problems with an up-tempo style where he has to make quick decisions.

He was injured the first half of the year. Give him a break. He hasn't accidentally averaged 10 goals the past 3 seasons.

If you honestly can't see how Rozsival is largely better than ****ing waiver fodder then you have no hope as a hockey fan.

gabevh3 09-28-2009 02:32 PM

some interesting tidbits i found...
One of his greatest assets is his shot, which was measured at over a 100 mph in the 2005–06 Senators' Super Skills Competition -- giving him the second hardest shot in team history behind former teammate Zdeno Chara.
He recorded his first career NHL goal on future teammate Martin Gerber vs. the Carolina Hurricanes on November 22, 2005. In the 2006–07 Super Skills Competition for the Senators, despite losing to Mike Fisher for the hardest shot, he achieved first place in the puck control relay portion.

turcotte8 09-28-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 21310669)
He was injured the first half of the year. Give him a break. He hasn't accidentally averaged 10 goals the past 3 seasons.

If you honestly can't see how Rozsival is largely better than ****ing waiver fodder then you have no hope as a hockey fan.

I never said Schubert was better, but if you compare salaries I'd take him at 800,000 and let him walk after this year, over Rozi for 5 million for 3 more years. It frees up cap room to either sign a better defenseman in July or trade for one mid-season.

hlundqvist30* 09-28-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 21310753)
I never said Schubert was better, but if you compare salaries I'd take him at 800,000 and let him walk after this year, over Rozi for 5 million for 3 more years. It frees up cap room to either sign a better defenseman in July or trade for one mid-season.

Ok. Good luck replacing 10 goals and 35 points from the point for under 5 million.

turcotte8 09-28-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 21310788)
Ok. Good luck replacing 10 goals and 35 points from the point for under 5 million.

Matt Gilroy says hi. :D

Fitzy 09-28-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabevh3 (Post 21310673)
some interesting tidbits i found...
One of his greatest assets is his shot, which was measured at over a 100 mph in the 200506 Senators' Super Skills Competition -- giving him the second hardest shot in team history behind former teammate Zdeno Chara.
He recorded his first career NHL goal on future teammate Martin Gerber vs. the Carolina Hurricanes on November 22, 2005. In the 200607 Super Skills Competition for the Senators, despite losing to Mike Fisher for the hardest shot, he achieved first place in the puck control relay portion.

Semenov had a 104 mph shot I believe, so that doesnt really say much.