HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Sun: Frogren done as a Leaf? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=686126)

LeafErikson* 09-29-2009 10:48 AM

Frogren done as a Leaf?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...79491-sun.html

Quote:

Meanwhile, a glut of defencemen on the roster likely has spelled the end of Jonas Frogren's run as a Leaf.

The team put the Swede on waivers yesterday meaning his days in Blue and White are all but over.

"It's a roster issue and a cap issue," Burke said of Frogren, who had one goal and six assists in 41 games with the Leafs last season.
What a waste.

Paris in Flames 09-29-2009 10:49 AM

Do the Marlies not still wear blue and white?

smoke meat pete* 09-29-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafErikson (Post 21322079)

Frogren is what we thought he is. Nothing much to him, but I didn't hate him. The situation involving the draft pick makes it tough to swallow, but he was ok.

ACC1224 09-29-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafErikson (Post 21322079)

Agree...almost everything Cliff touched turned to ****.

Riddarn 09-29-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 21322116)
Agree...almost everything Cliff touched turned to ****.

Drafting Schenn and getting Grabovski are his only decent moves that I can think of.

bobermay 09-29-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddarn (Post 21322153)
Drafting Schenn and getting Grabovski are his only decent moves that I can think of.

Signing Hagman?

Paris in Flames 09-29-2009 10:56 AM

I thought Hagman was a great signing, personally.

*edits*

Curses. Beaten to the punch.

embracedbias 09-29-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynrehab (Post 21322111)
Frogren is what we thought he is. Nothing much to him, but I didn't hate him. The situation involving the draft pick makes it tough to swallow, but he was ok.

ACC1224 09-29-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddarn (Post 21322153)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobermay (Post 21322162)
Signing Hagman?

Yep, those 3 I like....although Schenn may have been a waste of a high pick.

tillman40 09-29-2009 11:02 AM

I really liked Frogger thought he was a perfect 7th dman....costing us a 2nd round pick I am not too happy about though

bobermay 09-29-2009 11:02 AM

Also, what baout hte return he got for Belak, Gill and Kilger? What about getting Rid of McCabes Salary and creating a new Culture around the team?

LeafErikson* 09-29-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tillman40 (Post 21322222)
I really liked Frogger thought he was a perfect 7th dman....costing us a 2nd round pick I am not too happy about though

I thought we lost the 4th we got from Tampa.

John-Eric Iannicello 09-29-2009 11:13 AM

I liked Frogren too but with the glut of defenders Burke brought in + the emergence (ahead of schedule IMO) of Carl Gunnarsson pretty much signaled the end of his era in Toronto.

I bet if he would have dropped his gloves a few times last season he would have had a spot on this team though. The guy would block a shot with his face if he had to.

Unfortunate for him but I think a team looking for some solid defensive depth should pick him up as a 6/7 guy. I think he could be a good addition to a club -- especially for free.

SouthSwe 09-29-2009 11:14 AM

Go back home to us instead! :handclap:

LeafErikson* 09-29-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthSwe (Post 21322357)
Go back home to us instead! :handclap:

Ya, he got his chance. I imagine it's no regrets for him. He probably never expected to ever even get this chance. He played well, mostly, but wound up losing out to youth, and depth.

EazyB97 09-29-2009 11:25 AM

Frogren was never capable of playing at this level. When he dressed, he was clearly a cut below the other d-men on the ice. The NHL game was too quick for him. I can see why Fletcher would have thought he would be a good addition, with his physical play and slow skating being a better fit for NA hockey, but it didn't work out at planned.

TheTotalPackage 09-29-2009 11:30 AM

Besides the draft pick fiasco (fitting it was well after the signing occured and the trade with Tampa), I really didn't see the harm in this signing. He was signed out of Sweden just like Wallin was. Just didn't work out...time to move on.

EazyB97 09-29-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage (Post 21322539)
Besides the draft pick fiasco (fitting it was well after the signing occured and the trade with Tampa), I really didn't see the harm in this signing. He was signed out of Sweden just like Wallin was. Just didn't work out...time to move on.

The issue I had with it was much like Wallin. He's eating up a roster spot for another young player, who seems more deserving. Hopefully Wallin will show that he deserves an NHL gig though.

John-Eric Iannicello 09-29-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 21322557)
The issue I had with it was much like Wallin. He's eating up a roster spot for another young player, who seems more deserving. Hopefully Wallin will show that he deserves an NHL gig though.

I don't recall Frogren ever really blocking anyone's development. When he was brought in most expected him to be at best a #5 defender. What he was a 6/7.

EazyB97 09-29-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello (Post 21322607)
I don't recall Frogren ever really blocking anyone's development. When he was brought in most expected him to be at best a #5 defender. What he was a 6/7.

I'd have preferred to see Stralman getting that ice-time. Frogren showed early that he wasn't capable of playing a regular shift, so there wasn't much of a point to him playing here. You could argue he was a key in moving Colaiacovo as well.

noway 09-29-2009 11:43 AM

I knew he was done last year when he let an opposing player wash his face with a glove and didn't do a thing about it. No balls.

StarBurns RIP 09-29-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 21322557)

It depends on your criteria of a young player "deserving an NHL gig"...

Players like Frogren, Wallin, Primeau and other veterans are on the roster to push those young players to be better, mostly in consistency, competitiveness and attention to detail. Young players need only play as well as these modest talents and an NHL job is theirs. If these young players get their NHL jobs through entitlement instead of competition, the team deservedly gets mediocrity because obviously mediocrity and a newer birth certificate is enough to earn an NHL job.

StarBurns RIP 09-29-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 21322634)
I'd have preferred to see Stralman getting that ice-time. Frogren showed early that he wasn't capable of playing a regular shift, so there wasn't much of a point to him playing here. You could argue he was a key in moving Colaiacovo as well.

Frogren exclusively played the left side defense last season while Stralman exclusively played right side defense. Stralman lost his job to Ian White. Colaiacovo lost his job to a combination of Frogren, Van Ryn AND Finger.

John-Eric Iannicello 09-29-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 21322634)

Perhaps but I think the likes of Van Ryn and Finger did more damage on those players then anything. And of course, the emergence of Luke Schenn last season also.

I don't think Frogren was much of a factor in those players personally. He was injured a good chunk of last season. Stralman had his chances to stick, but didn't. I don't think Frogren had anything to do with that.

mooseOAK* 09-29-2009 11:46 AM

Frogren just isn't NHL quality and shouldn't be on the team, that's all.