HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mats Sundin Retires: Press Conference 6:30 am EST (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=686509)

Chandler55 09-30-2009 04:02 AM

Mats Sundin Retires: Press Conference 6:30 am EST
 
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/statuses/4492967005

Mats Sundin retiring? He's called a press conference for 6:30am eastern in Sweden to make an announcement. - Darren Dreger

I'm going to be so sad :(...... in other news what is Dreger doing up at 5am

parabola 09-30-2009 04:03 AM

More like who calls a press conference for 6:30am.

Chandler55 09-30-2009 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parabola (Post 21337355)
More like who calls a press conference for 6:30am.

stockholm press conference, sorry I shouldve mentioned that

Lansdown 09-30-2009 04:10 AM

"I know now I shall never escape my fate as The Revolting Blob."

Nordic* 09-30-2009 04:52 AM

With the amount of degrading comments I have seen towards Sundin from Maple leafs fans, it makes me sick to my stomach that he spent almost all of his career in Toronto - on a crap team - with fans that didn't appreciate him anyway.

Pierre Gotye 09-30-2009 05:20 AM

The Swedish curse is finally calling it quits. I don't hate Sundin but a couple of things stand out about him:

-In person, I don't care for his persona too much. Sort of had an "all about me" attitude. Not exactly the classiest NHLer I ever met, which I found surprising.

-His refusal to be traded. His long jibberish about the importance of a "journey." That 1st round pick could have really helped the Leafs. Then he holds out to sign for millions in December with Vancouver. Journey? Financial journey perhaps.

Sundin was a talented hockey player. No doubt one of the best the Leafs had ever seen. But I think he was a terrible captain.

Fredrik_71 09-30-2009 05:58 AM

OMG. This thread is on a fast track to a Toronto Sundin bash thread. Classy :shakehead

I wish him all the best. One of my favorite players all-time.

/Cheers

Lindros_for_rizzle_ 09-30-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 21337446)
With the amount of degrading comments I have seen towards Sundin from Maple leafs fans, it makes me sick to my stomach that he spent almost all of his career in Toronto - on a crap team - with fans that didn't appreciate him anyway.

Now you listen, and you listen good, you donīt come to our forum and talk to us like that. You need to behave.

Courage* 09-30-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 (Post 21337501)
His refusal to be traded. His long jibberish about the importance of a "journey." That 1st round pick could have really helped the Leafs. Then he holds out to sign for millions in December with Vancouver. Journey? Financial journey perhaps.

Wow, the results of "Broken Telephone" can astound and amaze.

AUC2MIC 09-30-2009 06:19 AM

Still too bad how he left on bad terms... now he rides off silently

Courage* 09-30-2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik_71 (Post 21337583)
OMG. This thread is on a fast track to a Toronto Sundin bash thread. Classy :shakehead

I wish him all the best. One of my favorite players all-time.

/Cheers

Please do not assume that BrentBreakaway in any way, shape or form, speaks for the majority of Leafs fans here, or in general.

The Brewmeister 09-30-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik_71 (Post 21337583)
OMG. This thread is on a fast track to a Toronto Sundin bash thread. Classy :shakehead

I wish him all the best. One of my favorite players all-time.

/Cheers

Trust me, there's 3 kinds of leafs fans.

group a- still love sundin, respect him, and are greatful for the number of years he played with the organization

group b- people who think he is a hypocrite, hate him for not waiving is NTC, and wish we had some amazing players

group c- people whose ideas about sundin who are way opposite of every other leaf fan (aka brentbreakaway)

his opinion about sundin is one of a very few number of people. Sundin led TML to many playoff appearances and 99% of leafs fans think he was an amazing captain... Brentbreakaway is the 1% that thinks opposite

johnny_rudeboy 09-30-2009 06:32 AM

Good luck to your life without hockey Mats. You made me along with a lot of other fans of Sweden and Toronto happy enough times during your long career to last as a good memory among us forever.

The Mauve Avenger 09-30-2009 06:41 AM

So long Mats, you will be missed.

HellasLEAF 09-30-2009 06:41 AM

look how rapid the decline was from almost getting a kings ransom for him to retirement. We would have FLEECED some team.

it's too depressing to think about, so I'm not gonna.

Nazem Gretzky 09-30-2009 06:43 AM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293154

bluumax 09-30-2009 06:49 AM

its a shame about his season on the nucks. he should have retired a leaf, no matter what anybody says he's the greatest leaf of all time.

gutted, hes been my favorite player since forever.

sens4life 09-30-2009 06:53 AM

Why isn't he making the announcement in toronto? After all the years??

Copie 09-30-2009 06:57 AM

The best Leaf of our generation.


Thank you

wolfey 09-30-2009 07:09 AM

indeed the best of our generation, arguably the best leaf all-time...
...franchise records says.
Good luck Mats!

Jordan 09-30-2009 07:10 AM

Have a good one, Mats.

leafs123 09-30-2009 07:15 AM

good luck and thanks for the memories mats...enough with the bs about getting traded and not waiving his ntc, that was his right!!!

StarBurns RIP 09-30-2009 07:16 AM

One year too late.

PTmbp13 09-30-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 (Post 21337501)
The Swedish curse is finally calling it quits. I don't hate Sundin but a couple of things stand out about him:

-In person, I don't care for his persona too much. Sort of had an "all about me" attitude. Not exactly the classiest NHLer I ever met, which I found surprising.

-His refusal to be traded. His long jibberish about the importance of a "journey." That 1st round pick could have really helped the Leafs. Then he holds out to sign for millions in December with Vancouver. Journey? Financial journey perhaps.

Sundin was a talented hockey player. No doubt one of the best the Leafs had ever seen. But I think he was a terrible captain.

Yeah very much he was All about me guy. Where you been? I really have to ask that. It is Mats Sundin that is retireing no one else. He was the greatest captain.

Budsfan 09-30-2009 07:22 AM

Sundin is and always will be a Toronto Maple Leaf and his #13 will be raised to the rafters at the ACC one day.

He holds many Leaf team records and suffered through some of the crazy years after Ballard with the rest of us and still wanted to remain a Leaf and in the end went to Vancouver, where I don't think his heart was in it but it's hard to hang them up at and now at only 38 he will do just that.

I hope he will be offered a job with Leaf the organization maybe as a scout in Sweden and Europe, he could be an ambassador for Toronto when signing young players and is an Icon there and very much looked up to by young players.

Cheers Mats. :cheers:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.