HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   speaking of playoff experience...... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=68709)

bb_fan 04-07-2004 09:13 AM

speaking of playoff experience......

"The series promises to be a test for Montreal's top scoring line of Mike Ribeiro, Michael Ryder and Pierre Dagenais, each of whom will be playing his first NHL playoff game. "

Rayzor seems to be getting alot of heat as to wether or not he can handle the playoff pressure, but why hasnt Montreals top scoring line? This will be there first time experincing all the hoopla and pressure, and it is the whole line, not just one player?

But personally, i get the feeling both Raycroft and Montreals line will feed off it, as opposed to be intimadated or anything by all the pressure and excitement.

Just thought i would throw that our there for comment because i really cant think of anyone off of the top of my head that 'folded' noticably or 'choked' in there first playoff games?

Can anyone list any a player or players from recent memory that really feel apart in there first taste of postseason play?

Waltah* 04-07-2004 09:29 AM

Quote:

Can anyone list any a player or players from recent memory that really feel apart in there first taste of postseason play?
:lol

laaaaaaaaaachhhhhheeeeeerrr

Kafka 04-07-2004 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb_fan
"The series promises to be a test for Montreal's top scoring line of Mike Ribeiro, Michael Ryder and Pierre Dagenais, each of whom will be playing his first NHL playoff game. "

Rayzor seems to be getting alot of heat as to wether or not he can handle the playoff pressure, but why hasnt Montreals top scoring line? This will be there first time experincing all the hoopla and pressure, and it is the whole line, not just one player?

But personally, i get the feeling both Raycroft and Montreals line will feed off it, as opposed to be intimadated or anything by all the pressure and excitement.

Just thought i would throw that our there for comment because i really cant think of anyone off of the top of my head that 'folded' noticably or 'choked' in there first playoff games?

By the way, Hab's AHL team lost in game 7 of the finals last season... meening Ryder, Ward and Komisarek got some experience there... in fact, Ward ended the leading scorer while Ryder finnished third. Hainsey was the best offensive defensman of the playoffs and Komisarek finnished with these stats: 1-5-6.

During the playoffs:
Ryder 11-6-17/23
Ward: 12-9-21/23

Raycroft lost against Manitoba in five games before Hamilton eliminated the Moose in seven games.

WBC8 04-07-2004 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafka
By the way, Hab's AHL team lost in game 7 of the finals last season... meening Ryder, Ward and Komisarek got some experience there... in fact, Ward ended the leading scorer while Ryder finnished third. Hainsey was the best offensive defensman of the playoffs and Komisarek finnished with these stats: 1-5-6.

During the playoffs:
Ryder 11-6-17/23

Raycroft lost against Manitoba in five games before Hamilton eliminated the Moose in seven games.

Didn't John Grahame win a Calder Cup? :lol

ajs 04-07-2004 09:40 AM

Quote:

By the way, Hab's AHL team lost in game 7 of the finals last season.

I'm a few minutes away from Copps, watching the entire series killed me, but I must say, Ward played awesome out there. One of the best players on the ice every night.

bb_fan 04-07-2004 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC UL8R1990

dammmmmm u...........i had all but completely purged him from my memory.........(still working on the coffee)........thanks for the reminder........ :jump:

bb_fan 04-07-2004 09:48 AM

Quote:

During the playoffs:
Ryder 11-6-17/23

not sure were this post fits in.....like i said, i expect both Montreal's playoff rookies and Raycroft will feed off of it rather than succumb to the pressures.......

:jump:

BlacknGold Barbarino 04-07-2004 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC UL8R1990

Dead horse, prepare to recieve beating. At what point are Bruins fans gonna let that one go?

whatsbruin 04-07-2004 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Dead horse, prepare to recieve beating. At what point are Bruins fans gonna let that one go?

Maybe my memory fails me, but I though Lacher had a very good series vs NJ.
If not for Jon Roll off my stick, who knows what would have happened
that series.

BlacknGold Barbarino 04-07-2004 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsbruin
Maybe my memory fails me, but I though Lacher had a very good series vs NJ.
If not for Jon Roll off my stick, who knows what would have happened
that series.

I thought the same, but that was a decade ago. I'm sure someone here remembers all the details.

Kafka 04-07-2004 10:14 AM

Quote:

not sure were this post fits in.....like i said, i expect both Montreal's playoff rookies and Raycroft will feed off of it rather than succumb to the pressures.......

:jump:

Weah I know, but you just made me think of the past AHL playoffs.

HockeyGoddess 04-07-2004 10:32 AM

Quote:

During the playoffs:
Ryder 11-6-17/23

Actually, Raycroft lost to Manitoba in four games last season. He also had a 1.36 GAA and a .955 SV% in those four games. The scores were 3-2 (Manitoba), 1-0 (Providence), 1-0 (Manitoba), and 2-1 (Manitoba).

Wonder Boy 04-07-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

During the playoffs:
Ryder 11-6-17/23

I live in Hamilton and visit the Bulldogs routinely. You need to step back and think. Jason Ward has no potential. He's a meat and potatoes forward.

mcphee 04-07-2004 10:55 AM

In the end, don't you find talk of playoff experience just something to fill airtime ? I fully expect Bergeron to be the same thorn in our sides that he was all year. I suspect that Ryder will get his share of chances. In a series, it usually comes down to one team taking away what the other team likes to do. If Boston can cycle freely in the Mtl. zone, the Habs will rely too much on Theo. if Boston loses D zone coverage, it'll be up to Raycroft to make up for it. I don't think their spring records over the last 5-10 years have much to do with it. As to the 22 out of 29 stat, how many players were alive for most of these ? That stuff is fun for me, because I remember alot of great series', but has nothing to do with what'll start tonight. I'm more concerned about whether they can keep the puck in the B's zone when Samsonov is on the ice than I am with Raycroft's save percentage in Pee Wee.

neelynugs 04-07-2004 11:08 AM

is perreault playing? if not, i expect our faceoff guys to dominate

HockeyGoddess 04-07-2004 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
is perreault playing? if not, i expect our faceoff guys to dominate

It's a nice hope that the B's will dominate in the face-off circle, but they haven't been doing terribly well of late in that respect.

mcphee 04-07-2004 11:33 AM

Perreault is apparently playing with Kovalev and Dowd.

s7ark 04-07-2004 12:19 PM

Quote:

Despite being the highest scoring line, it's actually the second line. The first line of Koivu, Zednik and Bulis has 61 NHL playoff games and 41 pts between them. Not a lot, but they've been there. Their average age is only 27/28, so that's not too bad. Due to the pressure on the Koivu line, the other guys seem to enjoy just going out and doing their job... and get lots of points as a result. Dagenais may crap the bed, and Ribeiro might be streaky, but Ryder will undoubtedly perform every game. I'll be curious to see how they match up with Samsonov, Nylander, and Bergeron.
From a Habs fan, good luck B's! :handclap:

bb_fan 04-07-2004 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
Despite being the highest scoring line, it's actually the second line. The first line of Koivu, Zednik and Bulis has 61 NHL playoff games and 41 pts between them. Not a lot, but they've been there. Their average age is only 27/28, so that's not too bad. Due to the pressure on the Koivu line, the other guys seem to enjoy just going out and doing their job... and get lots of points as a result. Dagenais may crap the bed, and Ribeiro might be streaky, but Ryder will undoubtedly perform every game. I'll be curious to see how they match up with Samsonov, Nylander, and Bergeron.
From a Habs fan, good luck B's! :handclap:

thats my biggest concern is that your second line continues scoring the way it has, and that the first line (with the experience) starts scoring more as well.

Jeff from Maine 04-07-2004 12:42 PM

Not To Be Arrogant Or Anything

But if we come out and take the body consistently...without looking for the big open ice hit, we should control tempo throughout.

I`ll grant you that the Montreal forwards are tough. But for the most part, they are small. IF we can keep up a continous physical presence we should wear them down pretty well.

We cant go nuts and try to lay out every Hab that we see. If we do that, we will get embarrassed! Going for the big hit and missing is one surefire way of shooting ourselves in the foot!

Just a consistent attention paid to finishing our checks and always letting the Montreal defense know that we are there should be enough to wear the Canadiens down considerably.

And on defense, Boynton, O`D, McGillis and Gill have to do the same thing to the Montreal forwards. They cant lunge and look to headhunt or find knockout shots. But they have to finish checks inthe corners hard. And they need to physically control the crease.

Later

misterjaggers 04-07-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

BTW, who were you quoting?

TJF 04-07-2004 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
Didn't John Grahame win a Calder Cup? :lol

Yup and Trevor Kidd won a Memeriol Cup in junior, so for those of you who like to bring up Raycrofts lack of playoff success just remember it works both ways. I mean would you really want John Grahame or Trevor Kidd as your starting goalie for the playoffs just because they've won in the past.

bb_fan 04-07-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterjaggers
BTW, who were you quoting?

at this point i dont rememeb witch media report had that line, but i think i took from someone else's quote of the article, i could be mistaken though, hard to keep track at this point.

BearAttack 04-07-2004 03:19 PM

I seem to recall that Montreal has done alright in the playoffs in the past with rookie goalies.
Let Montreal take Razor lightly. The people on this board who have been watching him the longest have been touting him (for a couple of years now) as a real cool cucumber. I am far more concerned with the intensity that the team in fount of him plays with than the play of our goaltender.

History (which Hab fans always bring up) is in the Bruins Favor.

The last rookie who played goal for the Bruins with such cool and calm was Frank Brimsek. (Before anyone says it he was way befor my time.)

"Frank Brimsek's star flashed on the National Hockey League scene with an initial brilliance few rookies have ever matched.* Coming up from Providence in the fall of 1938, he replaced the great Cecil "Tiny" Thompson in the Boston Bruin's net and proceeded to blank the opposition in six of his first eight games.* This performance immediately gained Brimsek the nickname, "Mr. Zero."*

* He went on that season to win the Calder Trophy as the outstanding rookie and the Vezina Trophy as the league's leading goalie.* The Bruins proceeded to capture the Stanley Cup that season as well as in 1941.*"
Now that's a reason for dancing bananas. :banana: :banana: :banana: