HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Empty Platinum seats - Now I Get It (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=687608)

Rude Dog 10-02-2009 11:37 AM

Empty Platinum seats - Now I Get It

I was at the game last night sitting two rows behind the Habs bench in the Platinums. Watching the game on TV, it would always drive me crazy seeing all the empty seats in the Platinums at the beginning of each period. Now I get it.

For those of you who have never had a chance to sit in a box, between periods you can go to a suite under the stands and enjoy a beer and wings etc normally hosted by an attractive hostess. It's easy to lose track of time in there, but you can always here the horn blow signalling the start of a new period. Anyway, once I heard the horn I tried to get back to my seat right away. On my way back we were held up by the Hab players walking back on to the ice right in front of us (kind of like waiting for a train). Apparently they get back on the ice just in time for the face-off, because by the time we walked another 15 steps, the puck had dropped and the staff would not allow us to get back to our seat until the next stoppage in play. A long line-up began to form in the hallway.

Now we are at the mercy of the next whistle, which didn't come until 15 minute mark. This gave us an opportunity to hurry back to our seat, but unfortunately not everyone could make it back in time between whistles. So not unlike waiting at a traffic light, once the play resumed, all the fans waiting in line had to wait for a second whistle to blow. Another friend of mine who began lining up just prior to the puck dropping didn't actually get to sit down until the 13 minute mark.

Same story for the second period. Now you can argue we should get back to our seat with five minutes left, but walking away from food is harder then you might think. Trust me I understand the platinums are full of suits that don't really care about the game and would prefer to sit back and drink, but not all of them. I thought it was a good atmosphere last night. Regardless, the next time you see all those empty seats at the beginning of each period, remember there are probably a bunch of fans lining up just waiting for a whistle to blow so they can get back to their $200 corporate seats.

I have to say the most disturbing thing about the platinums last night was the fact that there wasn't a child to be found anywhere. The majority of true fans were sitting in the bleeders or at home.

ACC1224 10-02-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rude Dog (Post 21378989)
I was at the game last night sitting two rows behind the Habs bench in the Platinums. Watching the game on TV, it would always drive me crazy seeing all the empty seats in the Platinums at the beginning of each period. Now I get it.

For those of you who have never had a chance to sit in a box, between periods you can go to a suite under the stands and enjoy a beer and wings etc normally hosted by an attractive hostess. It's easy to lose track of time in there, but you can always here the horn blow signalling the start of a new period. Anyway, once I heard the horn I tried to get back to my seat right away. On my way back we were held up by the Hab players walking back on to the ice right in front of us (kind of like waiting for a train). Apparently they get back on the ice just in time for the face-off, because by the time we walked another 15 steps, the puck had dropped and the staff would not allow us to get back to our seat until the next stoppage in play. A long line-up began to form in the hallway.

Now we are at the mercy of the next whistle, which didn't come until 15 minute mark. This gave us an opportunity to hurry back to our seat, but unfortunately not everyone could make it back in time between whistles. So not unlike waiting at a traffic light, once the play resumed, all the fans waiting in line had to wait for a second whistle to blow. Another friend of mine who began lining up just prior to the puck dropping didn't actually get to sit down until the 13 minute mark.

Same story for the second period. Now you can argue we should get back to our seat with five minutes left, but walking away from food is harder then you might think. Trust me I understand the platinums are full of suits that don't really care about the game and would prefer to sit back and drink, but not all of them. I thought it was a good atmosphere last night. Regardless, the next time you see all those empty seats at the beginning of each period, remember there are probably a bunch of fans lining up just waiting for a whistle to blow so they can get back to their $200 corporate seats.

I have to say the most disturbing thing about the platinums last night was the fact that there wasn't a child to be found anywhere. The majority of true fans were sitting in the bleeders or at home.

Only children are true fans?

It's almost impossible to hit the can and buy something at a stand and get to your seat by puck drop.....you can manage one or the other but both are tough and I know every trick there is.

Macke* 10-02-2009 11:44 AM

You can go to Suites with a platinum seat? How much for food in those?

I got to go to a suite a couple weeks back at GM place Sweden Vs Canada and I wouldn't dare pay for food in those >_>

EazyB97 10-02-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 21379072)
Only children are true fans?

It's almost impossible to hit the can and buy something at a stand and get to your seat by puck drop.....you can manage one or the other but both are tough and I know every trick there is.

The misses found it quiet funny that there was a 5-10 minute line-up for the Mens room last night, but nothing for the womens. I went to get a burke dog during the second intermission, but was told by staff to avoid it if I wanted to watch the third period. Just have to get one next time.

ACC1224 10-02-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 21379148)
The misses found it quiet funny that there was a 5-10 minute line-up for the Mens room last night, but nothing for the womens. I went to get a burke dog during the second intermission, but was told by staff to avoid it if I wanted to watch the third period. Just have to get one next time.

It seemed espiecially bad last night. I'm never late back but missed the start of the 2nd.

EazyB97 10-02-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 21379196)
It seemed espiecially bad last night. I'm never late back but missed the start of the 2nd.

Definately seemed like the crowd was using everything last night. Bathrooms, Concession stands, etc.

The Messenger 10-02-2009 11:54 AM

Re children, what do you expect? Someone buys a pair of Platninums for $500.00 to take a six year old to a game???? Come on, take a look around about the pictures at MLG, did you see many kids in the box seats. Nothing new here, been going for 75 years. Most, and I hate this term, "real fans", first game at MLG was in the greys or standing room.

But you are absolutely right with your comment about not letting you return to your seat once the play has started, what people do not realize that there is a line-up of folks waiting in the hallway to get back in.

By the way why does everyone pick on Platninum seat holders, why not Lord Stanleys Mug, or the Air Canada Club or the Original Six Bar or the Hot Stove Lounge? None of the aforementioned cater to the Platninums and all venues are busy when the game is in progress !!! Point is, it is not just the Plantinum folks that enjoy a good looking hostess, a fine glass of wine or beer and a mess of food and as a result miss the start of each period. That does not make us not "real fans" !!!

ACC1224 10-02-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 21379320)
Re children, what do you expect? Someone buys a pair of Platninums for $500.00 to take a six year old to a game???? Come on, take a look around about the pictures at MLG, did you see many kids in the box seats. Nothing new here, been going for 75 years. Most, and I hate this term, "real fans", first game at MLG was in the greys or standing room.

But you are absolutely right with your comment about not letting you return to your seat once the play has started, what people do not realize that there is a line-up of folks waiting in the hallway to get back in.

By the way why does everyone pick on Platninum seat holders, why not Lord Stanleys Mug, or the Air Canada Club or the Original Six Bar or the Hot Stove Lounge? None of the aforementioned cater to the Platninums and all venues are busy when the game is in progress !!! Point is, it is not just the Plantinum folks that enjoy a good looking hostess, a fine glass of wine or beer and a mess of food and as a result miss the start of each period. That does not make us not "real fans" !!!

Wish I was "not a real fan" like you!

I sit 2nd last row Purple, when the Leafs took the lead in the 3rd about 20 "real fans" around us left to beat traffic.

The Messenger 10-02-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macke (Post 21379115)
You can go to Suites with a platinum seat? How much for food in those?

I got to go to a suite a couple weeks back at GM place Sweden Vs Canada and I wouldn't dare pay for food in those >_>

Not all platinum seats have access to a suite. But they do have access to the Platninum Lounge. The lounges are pretty well restricted to platninums between the blue lines and perhaps back as 6 rows. A suite comes with 6-8 seats plus the lounge of course and cost about 350K per year. Add on top of that approximately 2K a night for food and drinks and you can easily understand why it is owned by corporate Canada, the rest of the platinums are owned by individuals usually in syndicates. The plantinums really do get an unfair bad rap.

The Messenger 10-02-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 21379426)
Wish I was not a real fan like you!

You are ACC1224 !!!!! :nod::nod::nod:

CanadaBacon 10-02-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 21379320)

My dad had golds at MLG through work for most of my childhood. There were a lot of kids around this section.

CanadaBacon 10-02-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 21379426)
Wish I was "not a real fan" like you!

I sit 2nd last row Purple, when the Leafs took the lead in the 3rd about 20 "real fans" around us left to beat traffic.

People do that in all sections at all games in all sports everywhere.

mooseOAK* 10-02-2009 12:05 PM

I looked at all of those empty seats last nights and think, why wouldn't people just take turns going out to get drinks and food and one say to the other 'bring me something back"? But no, the platinum area is almost completely evacuated.

The Messenger 10-02-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 21379485)
My dad had golds at MLG through work for most of my childhood. There were a lot of kids around this section.

Very nice section you had back then !!! I have been a subscriber since 1973 (reds) and would strongly suggest yours was the exception not the rule. For example last night at the Habs game we had 2 young boys sitting in front of us in platninums but that was the exception not the rule.

The Messenger 10-02-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK (Post 21379541)
I looked at all of those empty seats last nights and think, why wouldn't people just take turns going out to get drinks and food and one say to the other 'bring me something back"? But no, the platinum area is almost completely evacuated.

Did you even read the OP's post ????

Platapie 10-02-2009 12:11 PM

Think that's bad? Try being a smoker. I've since quit, but 3-4 years ago every game I'd have to BOLT to a certain gate (they only let you out in a few of them), and they only allow certain amounts out at one given time. Then you need to lineup to get back inside and THEN get back to your seat. Tough to do.

ACC1224 10-02-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 21379300)
Definately seemed like the crowd was using everything last night. Bathrooms, Concession stands, etc.

The corridors are too narrow. It's almost like they built the place not expecting it to be full.

mooseOAK* 10-02-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 21379601)
Did you even read the OP's post ????

Yes.

Transplanted Caper 10-02-2009 12:16 PM

I don't even support the team financially, that's how big a fan I am. Those guys in the nosebleeds don't know true Leafs love like me.

CanadaBacon 10-02-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 21379576)
Very nice section you had back then !!! I have been a subscriber since 1973 (reds) and would strongly suggest yours was the exception not the rule. For example last night at the Habs game we had 2 young boys sitting in front of us in platninums but that was the exception not the rule.

This was about 85ish to 93ish.

Dont get me wrong, the section wasnt flooded with kids, but it does seem there were quite a few more of them at MLG.

We moved up to Greens after my dad went to a different company.

EazyB97 10-02-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 21379576)

Our seats at MLG were front row reds and I rarely saw any other children. At the time, I was 13/14 at my oldest and I was usually the youngest person around.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 21379659)
The corridors are too narrow. It's almost like they built the place not expecting it to be full.

It's not ideal, but I can't say I've noticed Buffalo or Detroit to be better. Detroit is wider, but all the sections go to 1 exterior corridor, so it's much more difficult to maneuver around. Maybe it's better in some other places?

Platapie 10-02-2009 12:20 PM

I also intentionally avoid drinking fluids before and during a game just so I don't have to battle for the bathroom. Sad I know, but I hate dealing with the rush :) Notable exception for beer nights.

ACC1224 10-02-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 21379788)
It's not ideal, but I can't say I've noticed Buffalo or Detroit to be better. Detroit is wider, but all the sections go to 1 exterior corridor, so it's much more difficult to maneuver around. Maybe it's better in some other places?

I think it may have more to do with the placement of washrooms/concessions. The washroom around 321 has beer diagonal to it with food directly across from that, it just becomes a triangle of non movement. My own fault for getting caught up in it, I know better.

The Messenger 10-02-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 21379788)
Our seats at MLG were front row reds and I rarely saw any other children. At the time, I was 13/14 at my oldest and I was usually the youngest person around.

I was second row, south end, where were you? (Johnny Wayne of Wayne and Shuster fame had the seats right in front of me.)

Re corridors, the best venue by far I have attended was Tampa' Bays.

CanadaBacon 10-02-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 21379868)
I was second row, south end, where were you? (Johnny Wayne of Wayne and Shuster fame had the seats right in front of me.)

Re corridors, the best venue by far I have attended was Tampa' Bays.

Was in Sunrise in Feb going on a cruise (went a day early to see the NYR Panthers game). They have an amazing arena. I was really impressed.