HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Standing in skates w/ soakers on (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=688741)

Lososaurus 10-04-2009 11:41 PM

Standing in skates w/ soakers on
 
Got a shot pad and I'd like to practice with it in skates. Don't know if it's OK to stand in skates w/ soakers or skate guards on, came here for advice.

Gunnar Stahl 30 10-04-2009 11:46 PM

its fine

EmptyNetter 10-05-2009 08:52 AM

Do you mean you'll be standing on a concrete floor in your basement with your skate blades unprotected? If that's the case it sounds kind of foolish to me -- you'll need to get them sharpened before every skate. A much better (more accurate and less abuse to your skates) simulation is to wear roller blades when you practice shooting. You'll be at a similar height, require similar balance and will have just as unstable a footing -- I assume that's what you had in mind.

Gunnar Stahl 30 10-05-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNetter (Post 21433672)
Do you mean you'll be standing on a concrete floor in your basement with your skate blades unprotected? If that's the case it sounds kind of foolish to me -- you'll need to get them sharpened before every skate. A much better (more accurate and less abuse to your skates) simulation is to wear roller blades when you practice shooting. You'll be at a similar height, require similar balance and will have just as unstable a footing -- I assume that's what you had in mind.

i think he means standing with skate gurads of some kind

Crosbyfan 10-05-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lososaurus (Post 21431606)
Got a shot pad and I'd like to practice with it in skates. Don't know if it's OK to stand in skates w/ soakers or skate guards on, came here for advice.

I would say no to soakers. You can still damage the blades, never mind the soakers themselves. Carpet or skate guards may be OK, or better yet inlines as Empty netter pointed out.

EmptyNetter 10-05-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 21435362)
i think he means standing with skate gurads of some kind

Oops -- saw the w/ and read it as w/o (without).
BTW, I've never thought of soakers as something you can walk on. I use them because they absorb excess moisture after a skate and to protect my hands from accidental cuts. I figure if I really have to walk around with my skates I'd use the rubber skate guards but have never had occasion to.

NigelSPNKr 10-05-2009 02:59 PM

i would just cut a stick and not take the chance, good luck

cptjeff 10-05-2009 03:17 PM

You're not supposed to walk with most soakers. There are some you can, they have heavy duty nylon on the bottom instead of being just made of fabric. If you're asking, I'm betting you don't have those. You'll destroy the soaker and screw up your edge.

Carpet or cut a stick. Or inline skates. Or plastic guards. or rubber mats like rinks have. But don't stand in soakers.

Lososaurus 10-05-2009 05:23 PM

I'll definitely be on carpet, some pretty deep stuff too. Though I'd like to not damage that carpet as well if you guys are suggesting standing on the carpet w/o soakers or guards. I have a pair of inlines, I may just go with those instead, though I would like to spend more time in my ice skates; My feet feel like they're going to explode after a game, I think it's a breaking-in problem or I just need a way way way wider forefoot skate.

Thanks for the input!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.