HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   GDT: San Jose @ Los Angeles - 10/6/09 - 7:30PM (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=689248)

johnjm22 10-06-2009 12:36 PM

San Jose @ Los Angeles - 10/6/09 - 7:30PM

http://cdn.nhl.com/kings/images/logos/large.png
Los Angeles Kings
(0-1-0, 0 pts)

VS.

http://cdn.nhl.com/sharks/images/logos/large.png
San Jose Sharks
(1-1-0, 2 pts)

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_image...ngs_Hockey.jpg

7:30PM (PST) @ Staples Center Los Angeles, CA

TV Broadcast: FS-W (Home), CSN-CA (Away)
Radio Broadcast: KTLK 1150 AM, XM 205

GAME PREIVEW
Season series: First of six meetings between teams that finished at opposite ends of the Pacific Division standings last season. San Jose went 5-1 against Los Angeles, including a couple of shootout victories. Patrick Marleau's three goals led the Sharks, while Alexander Frolov also scored three times for the Kings.

Big Story: Expect Los Angeles to come out with something to prove after a dreadful home opener against Phoenix. Meanwhile, San Jose should be confident against an opponent it has had great success against the past several seasons.

Sharks: This is the final stop on a season-opening, three-game road trip for San Jose, which lost 5-2 to an emotional Colorado team fresh off Joe Sakic's jersey retirement ceremony but rebounded for a 4-1 win over Anaheim, some payback for last spring's first-round playoff elimination.

Dany Heatley, acquired in a blockbuster deal with Ottawa last month, is seeking his first goal with the Sharks. In his first two games, he's recorded a pair of assists, five shots on goal and a minus-2 rating.

Kings: Los Angeles finished 38 points behind the Presidents' Trophy winners in the Pacific last season. The Kings expect to cut into that gap, but they got off to a terrible start Saturday by losing 6-3 at home to Phoenix, which tied Los Angeles with 79 points in 2008-09 (the Coyotes finished ahead of the Kings by virtue of two more wins).

"In practices and preseason games, I thought our team at least had good habits," said defenseman Rob Scuderi, who signed as a free agent after winning the Stanley Cup last season with Pittsburgh. "Maybe we didn’t win all the preseason games, but I felt we made good habits that we built in practice. Tonight we went down a goal, then the second one was kind of tough to take, but either way you have to be able to play your system and stay together as a team.

"We’re not going to go anywhere if we fall apart every time a little adversity hits us."

Who's Hot: He's no longer captain, but Patrick Marleau has led the way for the Sharks with three goals in their first two games. One of the positive things to come out of the Kings' loss to the Coyotes was the power play, as Anze Kopitar, Alexander Frolov and Drew Doughty all connected with the man advantage.

Injury Report: Sharks forward Joe Pavelski is expected to miss in the neighborhood of two weeks due to a lower-body injury. The Kings have a healthy roster, although veteran defenseman Sean O'Donnell won't play as he serves the final game of a suspension that carried over from the preseason.

Stat Pack: Los Angeles is 27-19-4-2 all-time at home against San Jose, but just 4-11-1-2 since the start of the 2003-04 season.

Puck Drop: The Kings get an immediate opportunity to make amends to their fans for the season-opening stinker, but the level of competition only gets tougher with the Sharks in town.

-- Brian Hunter, NHL.com

INJURIES
LOS ANGELES
Sean O'Donnell - Suspension (Eligible to return Oct. 8 vs. Minnesota)
Rich Clune - IR (Strained groin on 9/28/09) IR

COLUMBUS
Torrey Mitchell - Knee IR. (Out until at least late October)
Joe Pavelski - Undisclosed (Out until at least late October)

Sportsline.com

RECENT MEETINGS
02/19/09 - LAK @ SJS 4-2 (Sharks)
03/14/09 - LAK @ SJS 2-1 (Sharks, SO)
04/11/09 - SJS @ LAK 4-3 (Kings)

*Kings All Time Record against San Jose: 44-47-7-6

NHL.com

LEADING SCORERS
Forwards
Kopitar, LA - 2pts (1 G / 1 A, -2)
Marleau, SJ - 3pts (3 G / 0 A, +2)

Defensemen
Doughty, LA - 2pts (1 G / 1 A, -2)
Boyle, SJ - 1pts (0 G / 1 A, -2)

NHL.com

PROBABLE STARTING GOALTENDERS
Quick, LA - 1 GP (0-1-0)
GAA 6.00 / SV% .800

Nabokov, SJS- 2 GP (1-1-0)
GAA 3.03 / SV% .867

NHL.com

PROBABLE STARTING LINEUPSLOS ANGELES
Smyth - Kopitar - Williams
Purcell - Stoll - Brown
Frolov - Handzus - Simmonds
Ivanans - Richardson - Lewis

Drewiske-Doughty
Johnson-Harrold
Scuderi-Greene

Quick
Ersberg

SAN JOSE
Heatley - Thornton - Setoguchi
Clowe - Marleau - Ferriero
Mclaren - Malhotra - Ortmeyer
Shelley - Nichol - Staubitz

Murray - Boyle
Vlasic - Blake
Huskins - Demers

Nabokov
Greiss

TEAM STATS
GAA
LA – 6.00 (T-29th)
SJ – 3.00 (T-13th)

Avg. Goals
LA – 3.00 (T-13th)
SJ – 3.00 (T-13th)

Power Play %
LA – 75.0 (1st)
SJ – 16.7 (T-21st)

Penalty Kill %
LA – 66.7 (T-21st)
SJ – 81.8 (13th)

NHL.com

WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS

NHL SCHEDULE TODAY

:kings GO KINGS!! :kings

Telos 10-06-2009 12:39 PM

Kings win 5-3. GO KINGS!

kingsholygrail 10-06-2009 12:47 PM

Kings play better than Saturday! :handclap::yo:

They win 3-2.

JMFJ 3 10-06-2009 12:50 PM

4-3 Sharks. Heatley get the hatty.

BehindEnemyLines 10-06-2009 12:52 PM

Well im not gonna hold my breath for a win but im excited and cant wait to watch some more Kings hockey!

Shellz 10-06-2009 12:59 PM

Kings win by one goal 2-1

I got my smug face on today, kids

KingNothing4 10-06-2009 01:00 PM

Not too optimistic going to the game tonight, but hopefully they surprise me and make me jump up more than the Sharks make me grumble.

Fangio 10-06-2009 01:01 PM

Dump & chase, we can't pass, Sharks outplay us, Heatley scores his first.

What the word? Bloo...

DAkings20 10-06-2009 01:14 PM

I don't think we win but I think we play a lot better than Sat.

Defgarden 10-06-2009 01:20 PM

My neck is in pain, my gums ache, I'm sufferin from a lack of sleep. Please oh please just let me see a frown on Blake's face when he sees his team lose tonight.

That would make my whole week.

Omni Owl 10-06-2009 01:21 PM

I'm guessing Brown will be in the line-up tonight?

JDM 10-06-2009 01:25 PM

Love the addition of the NHL schedule for the day john!

KingsRule 10-06-2009 01:29 PM

go kings! spanky them!

not tellin* 10-06-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 21453816)
Love the addition of the NHL schedule for the day john!

yup, washington and philly should be a good match up to lead into the kings game.

Ziggy Stardust 10-06-2009 01:50 PM

New D-pairings according to Hammond:

Drewiske-Doughty
Johnson-Harrold
Scuderi-Greene

Chazz Reinhold 10-06-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 21454212)

Drewiske-Doughty
Johnson-Harrold
Scuderi-Greene

I wonder which pair gets matched up against the Thornton line...

...and yes, I'm being rhetorically sarcastic.

Omni Owl 10-06-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Drewiske-Doughty
Johnson-Harrold
Scuderi-Greene

Johnson with Harrold eh? Hmmm.

Scuderi-Greene is a nice shut down pair though.

JDM 10-06-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not tellin (Post 21454155)
yup, washington and philly should be a good match up to lead into the kings game.

Is that on NHL network or VS?

I forgot to check to see if there was another game to record before I left the house.

Can't decide whether I want to check updates on my phone for the SJ game or just wait and watch it fresh when I get home around midnight.

So annoyed... first season with season tickets and I have to miss the second game.

not tellin* 10-06-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Drewiske-Doughty
Johnson-Harrold
Scuderi-Greene

*gulp*

Buddy The Elf 10-06-2009 02:06 PM

Ahh yes.. the defensive stalwarts of Jack Johnson and Peter Harrold. That should be good for at least2 goals against.

I expect them to get back to basics with lots of dump and chase, shots from the perimeter and the team playing its usual boring style. I think they'll be better than Saturday (I hope they couldn't be any worse) but the Kings go 0-2.

Buddy The Elf 10-06-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munnn (Post 21453438)
Dump & chase, we can't pass, Sharks outplay us, Heatley scores his first.

What the word? Bloo...

Sounds like somebody has a case of the Munnndays!

not tellin* 10-06-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 21454372)

I forgot to check to see if there was another game to record before I left the house.

Can't decide whether I want to check updates on my phone for the SJ game or just wait and watch it fresh when I get home around midnight.

So annoyed... first season with season tickets and I have to miss the second game.

according to that picture up there it will be airing on Vs. and TSN. so damn you directv, i won't be able to catch it on center ice i'm assuming.

JDM 10-06-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not tellin (Post 21454657)
according to that picture up there it will be airing on Vs. and TSN. so damn you directv, i won't be able to catch it on center ice i'm assuming.

I'm an idiot.

Oh hey, look a schedule, that's awesome!... god forbid I actually read the thing.

Hopefully I can still catch someone at home to record that one for me. That'd be great to watch tomorrow as I lament unemployment.

agentfouser 10-06-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

normally i'd say wait and watch it fresh, particularly if you're the type that likes to be slightly medicated when watching but that particular kind of medication requires the child's bedtime to have passed. tonight though... i think it's going to be ugly. get someone to let you know if it's safe to watch before you invest the middle of the night in it.

DIEHARD the King fan 10-06-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

versus.

You're misssing my first game, I cant believe it.