HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   frozen four and the kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=68956)

agentfouser 04-08-2004 02:55 AM

frozen four and the kings
 
we have three prospects playing tomorrow morning in the frozen four, conner james for denver, who is apparently better from his injury, and brian boyle and ryan murphy for boston college. i think those two games will be espn at 9am and 3pm, so watch if you can. it'll be great to finally get a look at some of our kids.

LuckyLUC20 04-08-2004 01:02 PM

Denver is down 3-1 to UMD.

I'm excited to see the BC/Maine game. That's going to be fun.

LuckyLUC20 04-08-2004 01:09 PM

Denver Ties it up!!!!!! 3-3

WOW.

Caldwell had a breakaway to tie the game up. I think Skinner got the goal to bring the Pioneers within one.

two out of three* 04-08-2004 01:29 PM

4-3 Denver. I hate Denver though because their in the same state as the Avalanche. GO DULUTH!

Mindcircus 04-08-2004 01:59 PM

...
 
Conner James with the unselfish assist on the empty netter. Denver wins 5-3. I was listening to the telecast and they didn't mention Conner as one of our prospects.

LuckyLUC20 04-08-2004 02:01 PM

Wow, Connor James could've shot into the empty net, but elected to pass it to his teammate. Nice unselfish play on his part. Good to see him back from his injury.

Denver wins it 5-3 over UMD. Denver advances to the Finals.

Next up: Boston College vs. Maine today at 3:00 PM PST on ESPN2.

Keep an eye on #10 Brian Boyle and #19 Ryan Murphy of BC.

two out of three* 04-08-2004 02:03 PM

Go Maine because they have my Mariners Jerseys!

Mindcircus 04-08-2004 02:16 PM

...
 
Can someone tell me why collegiate hockey is not relavant here in the west?

agentfouser 04-08-2004 02:17 PM

okay, i watched most of the game and taped it, so maybe i'll watch it again. here are my impressions: (keeping in mind that this is just one game watched on tv, so obviously they're not meant to be comprehensive)
connor james was unimpressive. he had the helper on that empty net, he had one good screen when skinner scored, and he had a good one-timer on one of the power players, but aside from those plays, i found it hard to believe that he's the second-leading scorer (if i heard correctly). he certainly has some great wheels, but he really was peripheral, didn't create any opportunities, did not seem particularly apt at distributing the puck to his teammates, and did not challenge the defense much at all. his play in his own end was marginal at best, and on umd's last power play goal james was cherrypicking out by the other blue line while his team gave up a three-on-one. maybe just a bad game or maybe umd keyed on him well, but his performance today was underwhelming.

san jose's prospect matt carle (defense) is very good. moves the puck well, joins the rush, creates opportunities, seems to see the ice very well, and generally all-around solid. good player.

junior lessard was good, he put the puck in the net, but i wouldn't say that he was the best player out there. he seemed a bit one-dimensional, more of a sniper than anything else. when he wasn't scoring, i didn't notice him. however, if i watch the game again, i will pay particular attention to him and try to put together a more comprehensive report on him.

i think the best player in the game was FULGHUM, lw for denver. this guy is awesome, and i don't think he's drafted. i would be really happy if we got him. not big (5'11") but effective in every situation, always involved in the play at both ends. caldwell's breakaway goal was all fulghum - he forced a turnover in his own zone, and then outskated and outfought two umd players on the way down the ice before getting the puck to caldwell who was all alone and just had to finish.

caldwell is good as well, nyi prospect. he skates well, has some moves, and is the captain, but appartently injury-prone.

two out of three* 04-08-2004 02:18 PM

Because we dont have Division I, II, and III hockey out here, all we have is club teams, and why should we care about them?

agentfouser 04-08-2004 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20

Next up: Boston College vs. Maine today at 3:00 PM PST on ESPN2.

Keep an eye on #10 Brian Boyle and #19 Ryan Murphy of BC.

boyle and murphy are just two of 16 (wow!) nhl prospects in this game, 11 on boston college. should be a good one. i'm going to tape this one as well (hopefully, if i can find another scratch tape to part with).

Mindcircus 04-08-2004 02:25 PM

...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
Because we dont have Division I, II, and III hockey out here, all we have is club teams, and why should we care about them?

You're right no one does care about club teams. Why don't we have Division 1-2-3 hockey?

Old Hickory 04-08-2004 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindcircus
Can someone tell me why collegiate hockey is not relavant here in the west?

I went to the frozen four a few years ago when it was at the Pond at it was just sad. Me and my buddy were one of 5 Californians at the game. There were only about 5000 people there and most were family members of the teams or die hardfans that came out to see the game.

I really wish College Hockey were bigger out here. It's a great game

two out of three* 04-08-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindcircus
You're right no one does care about club teams. Why don't we have Division 1-2-3 hockey?

:dunno:

Nobody cares about hockey in the west? :dunno:

two out of three* 04-08-2004 02:30 PM

I really wish Hockey was bigger out here too. I know that USC plays at Disney Ice in Anaheim, but once again thats just poor club hockey. All we got is two crappy southern california NHL teams, no college hockey, and a very bad Junior B team. (Valencia)

LuckyLUC20 04-08-2004 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I went to the frozen four a few years ago when it was at the Pond at it was just sad. Me and my buddy were one of 5 Californians at the game. There were only about 5000 people there and most were family members of the teams or die hardfans that came out to see the game.

I really wish College Hockey were bigger out here. It's a great game

you got that right... it's all about team work in college sports, esp. Hockey. I love seeing the passion on the ice that these guys put out. It's so exciting to watch.

punchy1 04-08-2004 02:32 PM

I thought Conner had a very good game. I was comparing him to everyone else on his team most of the time because I wasn't sure which one he was and when I found out for certain I was happily suprised. I think that when you consider that he is coming back off of a broken bone and wasn't expected to play at all and has missed some time due to that injury that he had a great game.

He played really well in his own end and that dishing off of the final goal showed him as a class act.


I think that NCAA hockey division one, would be a smash hit in Los Angeles as well as anywhere on the west coast.

If PA wanted to really have a MAJOUR impact on the sport of hockey on the west coast he would help either USC or UCLA develope a division one program.

Think of the players who would rather go to USC or UCLA to play hockey instead of the wintery midwest and northeast of the States. I would reckon it would trickle down to the tots on the west coast as well and truly build interest in the game out there.

Mindcircus 04-08-2004 02:35 PM

...
 
Unfortunately you're probably right, not many people do care. The only hockey i hear around here other than the NHL is from my friend who plays for Long Beach State.

Mindcircus 04-08-2004 02:37 PM

...
 
Division 1 hockey would be fantastic out here. I'm just not smart enough to understand why it isn't i guess.

LuckyLUC20 04-08-2004 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navigator
okay, i watched most of the game and taped it, so maybe i'll watch it again. here are my impressions: (keeping in mind that this is just one game watched on tv, so obviously they're not meant to be comprehensive)
connor james was unimpressive. he had the helper on that empty net, he had one good screen when skinner scored, and he had a good one-timer on one of the power players, but aside from those plays, i found it hard to believe that he's the second-leading scorer (if i heard correctly). he certainly has some great wheels, but he really was peripheral, didn't create any opportunities, did not seem particularly apt at distributing the puck to his teammates, and did not challenge the defense much at all. his play in his own end was marginal at best, and on umd's last power play goal james was cherrypicking out by the other blue line while his team gave up a three-on-one. maybe just a bad game or maybe umd keyed on him well, but his performance today was underwhelming.

san jose's prospect matt carle (defense) is very good. moves the puck well, joins the rush, creates opportunities, seems to see the ice very well, and generally all-around solid. good player.

junior lessard was good, he put the puck in the net, but i wouldn't say that he was the best player out there. he seemed a bit one-dimensional, more of a sniper than anything else. when he wasn't scoring, i didn't notice him. however, if i watch the game again, i will pay particular attention to him and try to put together a more comprehensive report on him.

i think the best player in the game was FULGHUM, lw for denver. this guy is awesome, and i don't think he's drafted. i would be really happy if we got him. not big (5'11") but effective in every situation, always involved in the play at both ends. caldwell's breakaway goal was all fulghum - he forced a turnover in his own zone, and then outskated and outfought two umd players on the way down the ice before getting the puck to caldwell who was all alone and just had to finish.

caldwell is good as well, nyi prospect. he skates well, has some moves, and is the captain, but appartently injury-prone.

Great analysis, navigator.

I'd also add that Berkhoel really kept the Pioneers in the game when they fell behind early. He made some big saves to get the team going. UMD was all over Denver for a large part of the game. Then Denver came on strong in the end with a great comeback.

two out of three* 04-08-2004 02:39 PM

Well, its probably one of those things, you know how you really dont get into basketball until there in the playoffs? Thats how it is with non-hockey fans. And unfortunately the Kings or Ducks didn't make the playoffs so quite frankly why should they care about hockey in the west. You think people would care about the Lakers if they missed the playoffs two years in a row? I dont think so. All the Lakers fans would be Dodger fans, and then after that they would be College Football fans, and then MAYBE Hockey fans. See what Im saying?

1. NBA
2. MLB
3. NCAA (Could NCAA Hockey fall here? :dunno: )
4. NHL

agentfouser 04-08-2004 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchy1
I thought Conner had a very good game. I was comparing him to everyone else on his team most of the time because I wasn't sure which one he was and when I found out for certain I was happily suprised. I think that when you consider that he is coming back off of a broken bone and wasn't expected to play at all and has missed some time due to that injury that he had a great game.

i disagree. yes, he's coming off an injury, kudos to him and way to be tough, but its a leg injury and he certainly still had good speed. the biggest problem that i had with his game today was that he didn;t seem to make very good decisions with the puck. sort of anson carter-ish: get the puck along the boards, pass to no one and turn the puck over; bring it into the attacking zone and skate it into a crowd of defenders and lose it; that sort of thing. he just didn;t seem to be very creative out there and he didn't seem to challenge the defense very much.

anyway, we'll see him again in the title game, hopefully he picks it up. perhaps the injury is still bothering him and he really is that much faster.

Mindcircus 04-08-2004 02:46 PM

...
 
I don't think the sport gets a fair shake at all. It has always been in 4th place behing basketball, football, and baseball. I don't see this changing any time soon when shows you see on tv refuse to cover anything that has to do with the sport. I watch PTI and Around the Horn sometimes and they refuse to even acknowledge hockey as even a sport. No wonder the sport will never take off. If we took a poll on which sport is the real mans sport, most of the votes would go to hockey. Some would say football but i think hockey is way more dangerous. You have all of these 100 million dollar players in most of these sports yet hockey players are the ones that deserve all the money they make. That's just my two cents anyway...

two out of three* 04-08-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindcircus
I don't think the sport gets a fair shake at all. It has always been in 4th place behing basketball, football, and baseball. I don't see this changing any time soon when shows you see on tv refuse to cover anything that has to do with the sport. I watch PTI and Around the Horn sometimes and they refuse to even acknowledge hockey as even a sport. No wonder the sport will never take off. If we took a poll on which sport is the real mans sport, most of the votes would go to hockey. Some would say football but i think hockey is way more dangerous. You have all of these 100 million dollar players in most of these sports yet hockey players are the ones that deserve all the money they make. That's just my two cents anyway...

I always watch Around the Horn, and PTI, and I love the show, but they always bash hockey or make a mockery of it. It pisses me off sometimes. I know the new guy, that hosts Around the Horn (ATH) opened the show yesterday and goes, "These four things I know are true, Barry Bonds can hit Clemens, but Clemens can hit Bonds harder", so on and so on... then after he's done he goes, "Oh yea, and a 90 second NHL Playoff Preview too." And when they got to that subject they just laughed b**ched about how there's not enough scoring, and "whoever has the hottest goalie will win the Cup," and they joked around about it. PTI didn't even mention. The only guy that actually likes hockey, (and i love this guy) Tim Cowlishaw form the Dallas Newspaper. He loves hockey. Michael Holley from the Boston newspaper, actaully said he enjoyed watching the Frozen Four. Of course he joked about it in the beginning, but he said that he enjoyed it when he "won" at the end. But guys like Bill Plaschke, and Jay Mariotti hate the sport. Makes me so mad.

Mindcircus 04-08-2004 02:59 PM

...
 
Mockery is right...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.