HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   News Article: Staubitz suspended 1 game for hit on Drewiske (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=690108)

DAkings20 10-08-2009 03:33 PM

Staubitz suspended 1 game for hit on Drewiske

http://lakingsinsider.com/?p=240

Shellz 10-08-2009 03:36 PM

:) gotcha

Shellz 10-08-2009 03:40 PM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=501505

Flour Child 10-08-2009 03:41 PM

Suck it Staubitz!

TonySCV 10-08-2009 03:41 PM

Good... that was a dirty hit.

not tellin* 10-08-2009 03:50 PM

that's a bit surprising to me. it wasn't really suspension worthy IMO, but i guess 1 game is 1 game.

KingsRule 10-08-2009 03:55 PM

and it gave ivanans a reason to jack shelly up

JDM 10-08-2009 04:01 PM

something to consider:

Quote:

The NHL cited "excessive physical contact on an icing play" as the reason for the suspension, which is the new euphemism for "dirty sissy hit."

This suspension does not effect the Kings at all, but one has to wonder if the fuss Ivanans made after the play did not help to make the NHL take note of the hit to the head that easily could have had Drewiske eating through a straw if he were a weaker man.
http://www.lakingsnews.com

Its a bit of a stretch, but in the past, when the Kings did not retaliate or seem to care, it seemed the NHL would not either.

Does Staubitz get the suspension if no one on the Kings responds and its just a minor penalty without any extra emotion added by the Kings?

agentfouser 10-08-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 21493649)
something to consider:

http://www.lakingsnews.com

Its a bit of a stretch, but in the past, when the Kings did not retaliate or seem to care, it seemed the NHL would not either.

Does Staubitz get the suspension if no one on the Kings responds and its just a minor penalty without any extra emotion added by the Kings?

it sounds like he gets the suspension almost entirely because of the icing call. without the icing call, then certainly no suspension, but with it, he probably could have hit drewiske less than he did and still gotten a suspension.

JDM 10-08-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentfouser (Post 21493743)
it sounds like he gets the suspension almost entirely because of the icing call. without the icing call, then certainly no suspension, but with it, he probably could have hit drewiske less than he did and still gotten a suspension.

The NHL has seemed a little wishy washy on the no hit icing rule. I don't think it has been called consistently, perhaps because it is such a new rule.

Icing or not, I think the hit was still dirty. It was charging either way, and definately an unnecessary hit to the head.

onlyalad 10-08-2009 04:18 PM

I thought it was a bit late, but not really dirty. I have seen worse not even called.

Beauty, eh? 10-08-2009 04:29 PM

I'm glad he got suspended, but how does he get suspended for that hit and Darcy Hordichuk DOESN'T get suspended for his hit the other night on Boll?

JDM 10-08-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? (Post 21494060)
I'm glad he got suspended, but how does he get suspended for that hit and Darcy Hordichuk NOT get suspended for his hit the other night on Boll?

I didn't see the hit on Boll. Similar situation?

To me, its not the icing, its not how bad the hit was, it was that Staubitz was a second man in, basically blindsiding a player who was already being checked.

Brad Doty 10-08-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 21494066)
I didn't see the hit on Boll. Similar situation?

To me, its not the icing, its not how bad the hit was, it was that Staubitz was a second man in, basically blindsiding a player who was already being checked.

I think this is a key point as well; sometimes hits that aren't necessarily dirty in and of themselves become dirty plays when the player is already tied up with another. Can you imagine what it would be like if you could pin a dude and have another guy run and blast him? :laugh:

I think that, the icing call, and the follow through all play into this. AND the Kings reaction. AND...the fact that it was Staubitz and not oh, Malkin.

Sam 10-08-2009 05:44 PM

It's a combination of 3 things: the hit occurred on a delayed icing, Drewiske never touched the puck, and it was a hit to the head (though with a tucked elbow).

Staubitz made a stupid hit on a delayed icing. There are 5 scenarios that can play out, and the only scenario that could have made it a legal hit clearly didn't happen.

1) Neither player touches the puck. Drewiske doesn't touch the puck so he's not fair game. This is what happened.
2) Only Drewiske touches the puck. Would be icing and a hit after the whistle.
3) Drewiske gets the puck and then the Shark touches the puck. Would be icing and a hit after the whistle.
4) Only the Shark touches the puck. Drewiske wouldn't have touched the puck so he wouldn't be fair game.
5) The Shark gets the puck and then Drewiske touches the puck. This is the only scenario where Drewiske would have been fair game. Clearly didn't happen.

Because it was a hit to the head on a player that wasn't fair game, Staubitz gets suspended. Because there was no injury and Staubitz had his elbow tucked, he only gets one game.

Matt13 10-08-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? (Post 21494060)
I'm glad he got suspended, but how does he get suspended for that hit and Darcy Hordichuk DOESN'T get suspended for his hit the other night on Boll?

The league noticed and gave Darcy a fine.....at least.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294118

DIEHARD the King fan 10-08-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN14 (Post 21494136)
I think this is a key point as well; sometimes hits that aren't necessarily dirty in and of themselves become dirty plays when the player is already tied up with another. Can you imagine what it would be like if you could pin a dude and have another guy run and blast him? :laugh:

I think that, the icing call, and the follow through all play into this. AND the Kings reaction. AND...the fact that it was Staubitz and not oh, Malkin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 21495004)
It's a combination of 3 things: the hit occurred on a delayed icing, Drewiske never touched the puck, and it was a hit to the head (though with a tucked elbow).

Staubitz made a stupid hit on a delayed icing. There are 5 scenarios that can play out, and the only scenario that could have made it a legal hit clearly didn't happen.

1) Neither player touches the puck. Drewiske doesn't touch the puck so he's not fair game. This is what happened.
2) Only Drewiske touches the puck. Would be icing and a hit after the whistle.
3) Drewiske gets the puck and then the Shark touches the puck. Would be icing and a hit after the whistle.
4) Only the Shark touches the puck. Drewiske wouldn't have touched the puck so he wouldn't be fair game.
5) The Shark gets the puck and then Drewiske touches the puck. This is the only scenario where Drewiske would have been fair game. Clearly didn't happen.

Because it was a hit to the head on a player that wasn't fair game, Staubitz gets suspended. Because there was no injury and Staubitz had his elbow tucked, he only gets one game.

Its a dirty hit or at minimum, a penalized one because the Player was hit from behind against the boards, had no ability to protect himself, and because, now, based on the rule, on an icing play, the play to be made is supposed to be on the puck and not the player.

Finally the NHL suspends a player for hitting a KING. Will wonders never cease?

Sam 10-08-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan (Post 21497718)
Its a dirty hit or at minimum, a penalized one because the Player was hit from behind against the boards, had no ability to protect himself, and because, now, based on the rule, on an icing play, the play to be made is supposed to be on the puck and not the player.

The hit was clearly not from behind. Staubitz hit Drewiske from the front and Drewiske's back hit the boards.

DIEHARD the King fan 10-08-2009 08:22 PM

I stand corrected, but the player was clearly in a position where he couldn't protect himself on an icing play where contact is not to be made with the player. Also, as Staubitz comes in Drewiske is facing the boards and gets turned around , toward staubitz at the last second. But he is still in a position where he cant protect himself and again the play to be made on an icing call is the puck and not the player.

Telos 10-08-2009 09:32 PM

The Boll hit:

Better angle:

They are vaguely similar. Boll was spun around on the board and hordichuk came up for a second check right into his head and pushed him down to the ice. Boll got a mild concussion I believe. I think the penalties should have been similar.

Scottkmlps 10-08-2009 10:08 PM

Staubitz made no attempt to play the puck. He went right for the man even though it was icing.

RAZZIE King 10-08-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan (Post 21497718)

Finally the NHL suspends a player for hitting a KING. Will wonders never cease?

Is this the first time since that Edmonton record breaking (at the time) brawl a few years back that someone was suspended for his actions against a King???

FrozenRoyalty 10-09-2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 21493394)
Good... that was a dirty hit.

In the media room at Staples Center after this game, we were talking about Staubitz' elbow to Drewiske's head. One guy asked why Ivanans went after Shelley. I immediately jumped in...

"Because Staubitz ran to the bench. Didn't you see that trail of yellow he left on the ice?"

There was serious laughter. I was pleased. :-)

markisonfire 10-09-2009 04:21 AM

Staubitz is a b*tch, plain and simple. Kind of feel bad for Shelley, he got his ass beat because Staubitz is a retard, but at the same time, Shelley was the one that grabbed Ivanans and threw a few punches before Ivanans knew what was going on. But oh my, Ivanans is a scary, badass mother*****er, wow.

This is when fights in hockey are a good idea. When Ivanans fights like that, or anyone really, jumping to the aid of a teammate. The "staged" hugfests that so-called brawlers engage in right off a face off are stupid. This is when fighting really means something. It's just too bad Staubitz didn't get his face smashed in by Ivanans' fists.