HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Any thoughts on last night's games? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=69051)

Fletch 04-08-2004 01:20 PM

Any thoughts on last night's games?

I got to watch about a period and a half of the MTL/BOS game. MTL has struggled to score goals down the stretch, and continue to struggle. On top of that, they appeared to be pretty undisicplined and couldn't take advantage on the PP. It's only one game, but the trend that led up to the playoffs is continuing. Seems as though all forwards (except Ryder, I believe) have struggled the last 6-10 games. They will be the key. [they have Kovalev down to about 11 minutes per game]

I also was able to watch the first period of the VAN/CGY game. Good, fast-paced first period. VAN's creating a lot of traffic in front of the PP which led to the first two goals (one off a deflection by Rucinsky who skated very well). The Flames were undisicplined early and VAN took advantage on the ensuing PPs. The Flames' best shifts came from its fourth line, which included Oliwa, Saprykin and Kobasew. As it turned out, Saprykin and Oliwa scored for the Flames (Simon the other) - albeit with different linemate. I thought VAN would overmatch the Flames by more, but this is more up-for-grabs than I originally thought. The Flames need to stay out of the box early the next game and get that first goal. VAN capitalized early, got the crowd into the game, and were up quickly. Getting the good start will be key for CGY in the next game and if that can be done, this series can change.

I totally missed the other games but for a shift. I turned it off after an ESPN bonehead said that Zidlicky's been out since the first shift with what is termed as an upper body injury. He went on to say that that can mean almost anything (implying severity as in the playoffs serious injuries will be downplayed a bit more than during the regular season). But he went on to say that it can be an injury from the tip of the [right pinky] toenail to the top of the head. How can an upper body injury be anything related to any part of the lower body? They are soooo stupid that I cannot bear to listen. The guys up in Canada (which included Glenn Healy) were pretty darn good and enjoyable to listen.

John Flyers Fan 04-08-2004 01:31 PM

My thoughts:

Boston dominated.

Kovalev not doing anything and taking dumb penalties.

Refs called the games very very tight, especially in the Bruins/Habs & Nucks/Flames games. Let them play a bit.

Detroit got the calls at home again as usual.

Sullivan shooting wide on the penalty shot 90 seconds in with the Preds leading 1-0 was huge.

The loss of Zidlicky really hurts the Preds. Their PP looked awful without him.

I only watched the first period of Stars/Avs. Avs dominated while I was watching, although looking at the shots Dallas must have turned it around.

Howard35 04-08-2004 01:46 PM

3 calls VS 5 calls isnt a lot of calls on home ice considering how the game was played. The refs gave the preds every chance to win it and keep it won in the first 2 minutes of the game. A 16 second in goal that i sware manny was tripped on, then a penalty shot that NASHVILLE missed on, manny didnt even touch it. So nashville had every chance to win it, 3 "pp's" and a penalty shot VS 5 "pp's"... Not too much of a difference if you ask me...

John Flyers Fan 04-08-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetterberg40
3 calls VS 5 calls isnt a lot of calls on home ice considering how the game was played. The refs gave the preds every chance to win it and keep it won in the first 2 minutes of the game. A 16 second in goal that i sware manny was tripped on, then a penalty shot that NASHVILLE missed on, manny didnt even touch it. So nashville had every chance to win it, 3 "pp's" and a penalty shot VS 5 "pp's"... Not too much of a difference if you ask me...

I didn't say that Nashville didn't have a chance to win the game, just that IMO the refs favored the Wings.

Bluenote13 04-08-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I didn't say that Nashville didn't have a chance to win the game, just that IMO the refs favored the Wings.

I don't buy into that kind of thinking. It may appear thats the case, but most times, the refs just play
off the 'feel' of the game.
Just my opinion.

Fletch 04-08-2004 02:08 PM

5-3 in penalties...

means squat if it should've been 7-5 Preds. I didn't see, but my personal opinion is that you start out 0-0 in PPs and if it's 7 (visitors) - 0 (home), then that's what it is. 5-3 + penalty for the home crowd doesn't necessarily equate to even officiating.

Howard35 04-08-2004 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

No, if anything the refs were in favor of the preds. For a while they tried to give the preds the big early lead. The early goal on what i thought was BS, then the BS penalty shot which we all know was a joke, so that could have been 2-0 3 minutes into the game, then a few calls in the first to us and a bad one on hull in the late first or second, i dont remember which it was...

Quote:

5-3 + penalty for the home crowd doesn't necessarily equate to even officiating.
To me it does...

Fletch 04-08-2004 10:15 PM

I really can't comprehend that...

so if the home team comes out flat and the away teams dances circles around them, holds them, clutches them and grabs them, and clearly outplays them, and the home team still gets 5-3 PP advantage, you'd say it's even officiating?

That's baffling. I can't say anything even officiating unless I see a game, then I decide. Like I said, if the home team has zero and the away team has 7, I don't care.