HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Injury Report: Franzen out 4 months with torn knee ligament (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=690541)

Heaton 10-09-2009 02:55 PM

Franzen out 4 months with torn knee ligament

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....en_out_fo.html

Bob Probert Owns You 10-09-2009 02:57 PM

You have to be ****ing kidding me... for ****s sake... what the ****!!!

DaFranzenator 10-09-2009 02:57 PM

Bad news on Franzen!

Well this is the last thing I wanted to read about, but apparently the Wings just announced the Big man will be out a minimum of 4 months with a torn ACL, this is about the worst news we could get other than Dats or Zetta seriously hurting themselves. Looks like Berts gonna have to step it up big time and also looks like Abdelkader will be back? Unbelievable, someone tell me this is a sick joke. :cry:

Fugu 10-09-2009 03:01 PM

Wow. I missed the game as I'm overseas at the moment, and didn't feel like pulling a zecke or rwf by staying up until 5 AM.

Did anything happen in the game that looked like he injured it?

Third injury to the same knee. Holy crap.

Steve Larmer 10-09-2009 03:02 PM

Wow. Anyone know when this happened during the game?

TOPGUN 10-09-2009 03:03 PM

****!!!

This really sucks. 4 months with an ACL? Better make it 6 -7 months

r0bert8841 10-09-2009 03:05 PM

What the ****? When did he get injured? I still am convinced this is a joke. What will our lines be like without Franzen? Gah now I am worried about this season. But maybe someone will step up big.

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - ???
Cleary - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi
Leino - Filpulla - Williams
May - Draper - Maltby/Eaves

Do we put Zetterberg and Datsyuk together, move Filp and Leino up and call up Abdelkader, I see a bit of Franzen in him.
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom
Leino - Filpulla - Bertuzzi
Cleary - Helm/Abdelkader - Williams
May - Draper - Maltby/Eaves

Bob Probert Owns You 10-09-2009 03:05 PM

I tore my ACL in my teens and was not back to close to 100% until 9 months after my surgery. I wonder if Franzen is going to have a patella graft or a hamstring graft. ****ing blows. It just doesn't seem like our year...

DaFranzenator 10-09-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Larmer (Post 21516540)
Wow. Anyone know when this happened during the game?

Ya I saw it I remember him going down kind of awakwardly in the corner off a body check from a Hawk player(not sure who). Than kind of sitting on one knee trying to assume shake it off , than slowly getting up. Sorry not very detailed because I didnt really think it was a big deal at the time, just got shook up for minute.

Just to add I swear this happened in the 2nd, pretty sure he played the whole game, right? I mean could he technically skate with a torn ACL, seems like that would be kind of hard to do. I'm almost positive this when it happened, cause the first thought in my mind was "oh great Franzen just hurt himself". But like I said he slowly got up and I'm pretty sure he played the rest of the game so I didn't think anything after that, especially after Ericcson took that rocket of his knee. I was expecting Big E to be out not franz, god this sux.

VooX 10-09-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 21516514)
Wow. I missed the game as I'm overseas at the moment, and didn't feel like pulling a zecke or rwf by staying up until 5 AM.

Did anything happen in the game that looked like he injured it?

Third injury to the same knee. Holy crap.

The Holiest of Craps, Fishy.

There will be a dogfight in the Central Division this year, and we may not come out on top this time. This is horrible news for the Wings.

We can call up Abdelkader, but I don't see us trading or signing anyone so early in the season. The cap issues would be horrendous.

The Wings will still make the playoffs, but we will likely not have home-ice advantage like we are used to.

DowJones 10-09-2009 03:13 PM

wtf 4 MONTHS??? Is this for real? :amazed::amazed::amazed:

This means serious problems....

ArGarBarGar 10-09-2009 03:14 PM

Glad I accepted that trade in the fantasy league for Wheeler and Biron.

Thanks Harding's Jockstrap!

Sucks for Franzen though. Bad bad bad for the Wings.

Roy S 10-09-2009 03:15 PM

On the bright side, he would be back for the playoffs if it is indeed only 4 to 5 months.

ALF AmericanLionsFan 10-09-2009 03:15 PM

Oh man, I can't believe this.:shakehead

r0bert8841 10-09-2009 03:16 PM

maybe this will give the Wings a sense of urgency for the first time in years.

TOPGUN 10-09-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You (Post 21516571)
I tore my ACL in my teens and was not back to close to 100% until 9 months after my surgery. I wonder if Franzen is going to have a patella graft or a hamstring graft. ****ing blows. It just doesn't seem like our year...

That is the basic recovery time for a torn ACL. But is it a complete tear?

Hensta 10-09-2009 03:18 PM

Oh man. 4 months!!!

Big blow also to team Sweden.. :D

HockeyinHD 10-09-2009 03:22 PM

Enh. Sucks to lose him, but assuming he's done for the regular season (and I have no reason to suspect anything else), it gives Detroit quite a bit of cap space to play with as far as replacing him (or improving defense or goaltending) goes.

Kovalchuk trade rumors, anyone? ;) Wait till the Thrashers fall out of it, and offer up Fil, Kronwall and a #1 for Kovalchuk if he agrees to an Hossa-esque extention?

Also, stuff like this is why you load up with legit NHL depth rather than give roster spots to young kids who may or may not be fully ready. Had this injury occured absent a Bertuzzi and a Williams on the roster, things would be much more dire and the Wings would be doing things like having to play Leino 18 minutes a night.

As it is, Detroit now has the luxury to have Abdelkader up if they want to... but I suspect as far as current roster stuff goes Abby will still go down when Helm comes back, the Wings will just be able to keep May on the roster.

Shoalzie 10-09-2009 03:23 PM

****! :cry:

Roy S 10-09-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPGUN (Post 21516718)
That is the basic recovery time for a torn ACL. But is it a complete tear?

On the surface, it does not sound like it. A complete tear is usually 8 to 12 months with surgery and rehab. A partial tear is 4 to 6 months with rehab.

doublejack 10-09-2009 03:25 PM

Well, obviously this is a really bad development. We're way over 100 goals down from last season now, and the defense isn't very sound. That's a recipe for a very difficult season ahead. Plus, that 11 year deal is looking more risky all the time.

But there are some kinda positive angles to view this from. First, the salary cap crunch is solved now. Holland won't have to do anything to clear up space when Helm is healthy, and the same holds true when / if Lilja is cleared. That benefits Eaves. This will also give Leino more of an opportunity to step up, as well as Filppula.

I'm counting Franzen out for the rest of this season, though, including the playoffs. Even if we get him back he'll be hard pressed to be the high impact player we need and expect.

TOPGUN 10-09-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyinHD (Post 21516812)
Kovalchuk trade rumors, anyone? ;) Wait till the Thrashers fall out of it, and offer up Fil, Kronwall and a #1 for Kovalchuk if he agrees to an Hossa-esque extention?

I don't know mate. The Thrashers have a pretty good team this year. I don't think they will miss the playoffs this year.

nik jr 10-09-2009 03:27 PM

that is really terrible news.

offense has been crap so far, and now franzen is out for a minimum of 4 months. datsyuk and zetterberg will probably need to play together again.

have to hope they can go back to '08 level team D.

Schroedingers Cat 10-09-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPGUN (Post 21516875)
I don't know mate. The Thrashers have a pretty good team this year. I don't think they will miss the playoffs this year.

I think Kovalchuk is going to want out of Atlanta anyway.

detredWINgs 10-09-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik jr (Post 21516894)
that is really terrible news.

offense has been crap so far, and now franzen is out for a minimum of 4 months. datsyuk and zetterberg will probably need to play together again.

have to hope they can go back to '08 level team D.

An offense that looks like crap, yet is still averaging 3 goals a game. Calgary has scored 17 goals in 4 games and is 4-0, and how deep is their offense? The Wings will get a LOT of help from having 3 of the 15 best offensive Dmen in the NHL.

We have TONS of guys who can step up and be 20G/50 point guys.

As a side not, now that Franzen's 3.9M is essentially off the payroll, we should take a look at Zherdev. 1 year, 2M.

Cleary - Datsyuk - Filppula
Zherdev - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi
Williams - Helm - Leino
Maltby - Draper - May

I'd be fine with that.