HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Thoughts on stick whip? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=690739)

BadHammy* 10-09-2009 10:52 PM

Thoughts on stick whip?

I'm just under 6'1, about 186, and find more and more that my shot improves power and accuracy wise with a very stiff stick, e.g. 105-110 flex. When I was younger, before I hit 25 and filled out, I needed a regular or even whip flex, but doing that now ruins my shot power. Less flexing of the stick while shooting for me= more power. Anyone else think so too?

Saved* 10-09-2009 11:33 PM

Physics don't agree with you, but hey, if you like it, stick with it.

I personally just got a U+ CL in a whip flex special ordered and love it. My wrist shot is seriously loving the whip flex. Goalies are hating it.

noobman 10-10-2009 12:17 AM

I hate whippy sticks.... I can't for the life of me control my shots with those things.

I'm 6'2 and about 190lb and I use a 100 flex (standard for a guy my size)

raganblink 10-10-2009 12:33 AM

Whatever works for u is what you should get. I know guys who should be using due to physics like 65s, they are using 100 and their shot is amazing, and vice versa. M

AIREAYE 10-10-2009 09:34 AM

Im 16 and 125 lbs...so a senior 77/75 flex is good?

raganblink 10-10-2009 11:01 AM

its supposed to be half your weight.

But; there are a lot of factors that can change that. Strength, abilities position are something u need to consider. really u should go to a LHS that has a shooting area and try out the same stick, same curve, but in different flexes and pick the one you like better.

Jarick 10-10-2009 03:29 PM

Depends on your shot, strength, height, stick type, stick length, etc. Note I didn't say weight, because I think it's not important.

I'm 5'8 182 (was 190 a week ago :D), I use 67 flex. But I cut my stick so it's 2 inches below my chin in skates, which goes up to 80 flex.

Now I'm mostly a wrist guy, and when I take shots while skating, I like the sticks whippy with a low kickpoint because I can load up quickly and get the shot off quick. My main stick has been a Vapor XXV.

This morning, I took my One95, also 67 flex but it feels stiffer and has a higher kickpoint, to stick and puck, along with a Sherwood 7000 senior stick (probably close to 90-100 flex cut down). I worked on pulling the puck in close, dropping my bottom shoulder, and taking a more vertical shot, a la Ovechkin. Sure enough, I got a lot more power behind the shot, the One95 was almost too whippy, and the very stiff Sherwood stick actually got off some good shots.

You'll want a whippier stick if you're shorter, cut your stick very short, are not very strong, and/or you take a lot of quick wrist shots with the puck farther away from you. You'll want a stiffer stick if you're taller, keep your stick long, are strong, and/or you take a lot of heavy slap or snap shots.

Hockeyfan68 10-10-2009 10:27 PM

For the OP, I am 6ft 4in 235lbs and use a 100 flex stick but I cut about 2 inches off of it so the flex is around 112-115 or so.

Theoretically the stick flex should be one half your body weight ... some people that doesn't work for but as a general guideline you should try that first.

that is a general guideline though .... like the knob of the stick touching the bottom under your chin while on your skates is the correct stick length. Some people prefer a short stick and that changes your flex point while shooting, playmakers usually prefer a short stick but shooters prefer a longer proper lengthed stick.

With skates on I am 6ft 7in or so and I prefer the stick up to the bottom of the chin while wearing skates for the correct length and the stick is about 115 flex give or take.

Unfortunately you have to experiment with different setups until you hit your sweet stick.

WhipNash27 10-11-2009 02:37 PM

I'm 5'8" 175. My 75 flex dolo just snapped in half last night when I was taking a slap shot. It was a very sad night for me. I'm going to stick with the 85s now. Although I'd like to try out a 100...

Hockeyfan68 10-11-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 21544890)
I'm 5'8" 175. My 75 flex dolo just snapped in half last night when I was taking a slap shot. It was a very sad night for me. I'm going to stick with the 85s now. Although I'd like to try out a 100...

Let us know how that works out for you with the change .... sorry about your broken stick. Some people in here (I have never owned a Warrior stick) swear the durability of the Dolomite stick is top notch.

But alas sticks do break no matter what they are, wood, aluminum shafts ... composites .... whatever.

wearethegreek 10-11-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 21546868)
Let us know how that works out for you with the change .... sorry about your broken stick. Some people in here (I have never owned a Warrior stick) swear the durability of the Dolomite stick is top notch.

But alas sticks do break no matter what they are, wood, aluminum shafts ... composites .... whatever.

I've found that my Warrior sticks tend to break more in the blade than anywhere else. But all the "1pc" Dolo sticks I have gotten have broken the blade somehow and you can actually just replace the blade if you find the little line where the two pieces connect and cut it with a good sharp knife and actually pull out the old broken blade, this way you can replace with a custom Warrior blade with a hosel that works with your shaft. There is a video online about it if I can find it.