HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Is he a righty or lefty? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=691141)

vyktor 10-11-2009 11:55 AM

Is he a righty or lefty?
 
My 4 1/2 year old son has been skating for a couple years now and of course playing hockey on the floor for much longer. He has always held his stick right hand up higher. I can't say right hand on top cause he never has his hand at the top of the stick, and he often one hands it, constantly has to be reminded to hold it in 2 hands. The truth is he has always kinda held it at awkward angles, which I just attributed to him being young. Earlier today he grabbed it with his Left at the top and was shooting a ball like a right hander, it looked a lot more natural; then he switched back to the other way. So I'm not sure I should push him to shoot/hold the stick the way it looked more natural or let him continue the way he seems more used to / comfortable.

madmutter 10-11-2009 12:16 PM

I coach a tom thumb team and we have 6 year olds who still switch. I don't think it's a big deal, just don't give him a stick with a curve until it's obvious which hand he shoots.

FLYLine27 10-11-2009 02:11 PM

Exactly, get him a stick with no curve. Over time he will use it more one way over the other (either lefty or righty) and you'll know what to get him.

Superstar Treatment 10-11-2009 04:31 PM

Teach him to shoot with the opposite hand he writes. Much better to have your dominant hand as your top hand.

sabrefan2930 10-11-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment (Post 21546502)
Teach him to shoot with the opposite hand he writes. Much better to have your dominant hand as your top hand.

I'm right-handed, but in every sport, I prefer my dominant (right) hand near the butt-end of the stick, so I shoot and bat "lefty." It's probably an advantage if I go to poke check with one hand, but it's not horribly significant. It's just far more comfortable for me. But on the flip side, plenty of people are able to survive playing hockey with their weak hand on the top of the stick.

This may or may not be the case with your son, but keep in mind that it's possible that a right-handed kid may be extremely uncomfortable shooting righty and vice-versa. I would say don't push him either way, get him a flat-blade stick and he'll sort it out for himself.

BadHammy* 10-11-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine24 (Post 21544540)
Exactly, get him a stick with no curve. Over time he will use it more one way over the other (either lefty or righty) and you'll know what to get him.

Indeed.

cptjeff 10-11-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment (Post 21546502)
Teach him to shoot with the opposite hand he writes. Much better to have your dominant hand as your top hand.

Don't do this. It's much better to let them figure it out. There are advantages to both methods, and the correct one is whatever feels more natural to the kid.

Let him figure it out.

vyktor 10-11-2009 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the input. He has been shooting forehands with the backhand side of sticks and the other way round; plus moving his hands all over today, there are both RH and LH sticks laying around, so I' guess he'll figure it out.

Crosbyfan 10-11-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyktor (Post 21548469)
Thanks for all the input. He has been shooting forehands with the backhand side of sticks and the other way round; plus moving his hands all over today, there are both RH and LH sticks laying around, so I' guess he'll figure it out.

One thing you should do is make sure both thumbs are pointing down. Seems obvious, but at 4 1/2 they often need reminded.

87vert 10-12-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan2930 (Post 21546933)
I'm right-handed, but in every sport, I prefer my dominant (right) hand near the butt-end of the stick, so I shoot and bat "lefty." It's probably an advantage if I go to poke check with one hand, but it's not horribly significant. It's just far more comfortable for me. But on the flip side, plenty of people are able to survive playing hockey with their weak hand on the top of the stick.

This may or may not be the case with your son, but keep in mind that it's possible that a right-handed kid may be extremely uncomfortable shooting righty and vice-versa. I would say don't push him either way, get him a flat-blade stick and he'll sort it out for himself.

I'm a lefty and use a LH stick. It just feels weird using a RH stick though I can still use it.

WeThreeKings 10-12-2009 09:27 AM

I'm a righty, I shoot right. But I also play in net and I catch with my left hand, therefore my stick is in my right hand and I have to handle puck like a lefty.

All kinds of quirky things can happen.

fearitself 10-12-2009 03:18 PM

Give him a wee little shovel and some snow and tell him to shovel it! (or dirt if yer not from canaduh). There you have your answer

JRZ DVLS 10-12-2009 03:21 PM

Quick ways to figure out which hand he is at shooting...

1) Make him Sweep out the Garage
2) Have him Rake the Leaves
3) When it snows, Give hm a shovel and tell him have at it.

While he is doing this, you promptly grab a beer out of the Fridge and do your research. All those are the same motion as Shooting and will tell you which is his dominant shooting handedness.

As well as helping with Chores around the house it lets you relax with a tasty beverage....

Ahh Fear, you beat me to it. LOL

IslesRock4 10-13-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS (Post 21559401)
Quick ways to figure out which hand he is at shooting...

1) Make him Sweep out the Garage
2) Have him Rake the Leaves
3) When it snows, Give hm a shovel and tell him have at it.

While he is doing this, you promptly grab a beer out of the Fridge and do your research. All those are the same motion as Shooting and will tell you which is his dominant shooting handedness.

As well as helping with Chores around the house it lets you relax with a tasty beverage....

Ahh Fear, you beat me to it. LOL

I wouldn't be so sure about those activities being the same as shooting. I'm right handed and I grew up using sticks without curves, ended up shooting righty (left hand on top) simply because it felt more comfortable. When sweeping or shoveling, I have my right hand on top for the same reason. Raking, I'll be switching back and forth.

Or maybe I'm just weird. :D

Dan Barr 10-13-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS (Post 21559401)
Quick ways to figure out which hand he is at shooting...

1) Make him Sweep out the Garage
2) Have him Rake the Leaves
3) When it snows, Give hm a shovel and tell him have at it.

While he is doing this, you promptly grab a beer out of the Fridge and do your research. All those are the same motion as Shooting and will tell you which is his dominant shooting handedness.

As well as helping with Chores around the house it lets you relax with a tasty beverage....

Ahh Fear, you beat me to it. LOL

None of those requires the dexterity of playing hockey. I don't have a problem sweeping, raking, or shoveling "lefty." I switch back and forth when my arms get tired. I can only play hockey one way though.

OP, give him a stick without a curve.

Quakmybush 10-13-2009 01:46 PM

I'm just thinking about attempting those chores with the hand opposit of my hockey handedness (left) and I dont think I could do it haha.

JRZ DVLS 10-13-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesRock4 (Post 21578239)
I wouldn't be so sure about those activities being the same as shooting. I'm right handed and I grew up using sticks without curves, ended up shooting righty (left hand on top) simply because it felt more comfortable. When sweeping or shoveling, I have my right hand on top for the same reason. Raking, I'll be switching back and forth.

Or maybe I'm just weird. :D

That is kinda wierd!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Barr (Post 21578397)
None of those requires the dexterity of playing hockey. I don't have a problem sweeping, raking, or shoveling "lefty." I switch back and forth when my arms get tired. I can only play hockey one way though.

OP, give him a stick without a curve.

Which way would you prefer to sweep though...Not that anyone wants to sweep or rake, or shovel...Shoveling may be a little stretch, but Sweeping and Rake definitely have the same motion of a wrist shot.

Plus i think you both missed the Joke anyway.....

go with a straight blade.....

frito 10-15-2009 09:50 AM

As many have said, wgo with a stick with no curve. Even though you have both lh & rh sticks laying around, it's best to just go with a straight stick. This allows him to actually switch in the middle of plyaing which is where he'll really figure it out. I didn't get curved sticls form my kids until they had been playing for a few years.

IniNew 10-15-2009 10:47 AM

Actually, of all three activities (shoveling, raking, sweeping) shoveling most closely resembles holding a hockey stick.

copperandblue 10-15-2009 11:57 AM

I agree that eventually a kid will choose on his own which way he prefers to shoot (which may not be his best option, I would be an example of that - I shoot left in Hockey, swing right in baseball and can golf either way) but if he hasn't got comfortable with either hand yet there is a way to determine what hand is best.

It was once explained to me that if you can do a dominant eye test for your kid (there are number of easy ways to determine on your own) then you want to shoot off of that side. In other words if his dominant eye is his left eye, he is best suited to shoot left and if it's the right eye then obviously the opposite applies. It helps give the player better control of the puck, more accuracy on his shots and so on.

Gino 14 10-15-2009 12:07 PM

The best advice is to keep supplying the kid with a straight bladed stick and let him play. He'll figure it out on his own in his own time.

fearitself 10-15-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 21608289)
Actually, of all three activities (shoveling, raking, sweeping) shoveling most closely resembles holding a hockey stick.

If you shovel one way and shoot the other, then you are just plain weird.

Or very ambidextrous (sp?)

Nigelbilt 10-15-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperandblue (Post 21609148)
I agree that eventually a kid will choose on his own which way he prefers to shoot (which may not be his best option, I would be an example of that - I shoot left in Hockey, swing right in baseball and can golf either way) but if he hasn't got comfortable with either hand yet there is a way to determine what hand is best.

It was once explained to me that if you can do a dominant eye test for your kid (there are number of easy ways to determine on your own) then you want to shoot off of that side. In other words if his dominant eye is his left eye, he is best suited to shoot left and if it's the right eye then obviously the opposite applies. It helps give the player better control of the puck, more accuracy on his shots and so on.


intresting, i have never heard this before. Do you have any links or info that talks about this.

I cant really see (i know, bad pun) how a "dominant" eye would give you better puck control or accuracy.

copperandblue 10-15-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 21609456)
intresting, i have never heard this before. Do you have any links or info that talks about this.

I cant really see (i know, bad pun) how a "dominant" eye would give you better puck control or accuracy.

I'll snoop around but it wasn't an internet discovery - so to speak - it was a discussion I had with a hockey/fitness trainer.

The theory goes, as I remember it;

Your dominant eye will re-focus more quickly than the other one. So when you move your head left to right (for example) both eyes take a moment (however miniscule that moment is) to regain their focus. That brief moment is apparently enough to make a difference in terms of optimizing your coordination. That eye being on the puck side of your body apparently sincs up your hand/eye coordination more than the using the opposite hand. Or something like that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.