HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Chi-ott (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=691328)

Mach 9* 10-12-2009 01:45 AM

Chi-ott
 
If Ottawa can't resign Volchenkov by the Deadline


To OTT:
Versteeg
1st'10

To CHI:
Volchenkov

Chicago could use the support on defense, and Ottawa doesn't want another defenseman, as they currently have 7 top 6 defenseman and would be down to 6 after the trade.

Does one team need to add more?

TLinden16 10-12-2009 01:48 AM

Chicago won't have the capspace for this. If they do NEED to move some of their valuable assets for cap room they'll do it by getting pieces that can fit into their team, whether that means picks, prospects, or players already signed to a reasonable contract. Volchenkov would be a rental as he wouldn't be able to resign with the team in the offseason.

Mach 9* 10-12-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLinden16 (Post 21552049)
Chicago won't have the capspace for this. If they do NEED to move some of their valuable assets for cap room they'll do it by getting pieces that can fit into their team, whether that means picks, prospects, or players already signed to a reasonable contract. Volchenkov would be a rental as he wouldn't be able to resign with the team in the offseason.

??

They are taking back less than they sent out, and Volchenkov would be a UFA after Seasons end... exactly the position they would want to be in, because they need to re-sign key players.

stempniaksen 10-12-2009 01:55 AM

Chicago does this in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if Ottawa does to be honest, but it's not the worst proposal ever.

Flames Fanatic 10-12-2009 03:08 AM

As a Sens fan, if there is absolutely no hope of re-signing A-Train, then yeah, obviously we'd take this deal, but if there is a chance to keep A-Train, we do it obviously.

salty justice 10-12-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stempniaksen (Post 21552125)
Chicago does this in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if Ottawa does to be honest, but it's not the worst proposal ever.

Chicago trades 2 50+ point players for a #4 dman? Fail.

This doesn't help our Cup chances this year or our cap next. No reason at all for Chicago to do this. The 1st rounder throw in from Chicago makes it more laughable.

The Waffler 10-12-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty justice (Post 21553862)
Chicago trades 2 50+ point players for a #4 dman? Fail.

This doesn't help our Cup chances this year or our cap next. No reason at all for Chicago to do this. The 1st rounder throw in from Chicago makes it more laughable.

...Or one of the best shot blockers and hitters in the league?

Don't get me wrong, I still don't find it fair. But you make Volchenkov look like he's nothing special. He has alot of value.

Mach 9* 10-12-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty justice (Post 21553862)
Chicago trades 2 50+ point players for a #4 dman? Fail.

This doesn't help our Cup chances this year or our cap next. No reason at all for Chicago to do this. The 1st rounder throw in from Chicago makes it more laughable.

Sorry, It was Versteeg+ 2nd'10 to begin with, but I was getting told that Chicago Needed to add more.

How a bout Versteeg+1st?

Ibrahim 10-12-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty justice (Post 21553862)
Chicago trades 2 50+ point players for a #4 dman? Fail.

This doesn't help our Cup chances this year or our cap next. No reason at all for Chicago to do this. The 1st rounder throw in from Chicago makes it more laughable.

:facepalm:

salty justice 10-12-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoSenators11 (Post 21554370)
Sorry, It was Versteeg+ 2nd'10 to begin with, but I was getting told that Chicago Needed to add more.

How a bout Versteeg+1st?

Sorry to get snippy with you but there are just too many Hawk proposals on here daily that do not consider Chicago's needs.

IMO Chicago's forward and defense cores are both top 5 in the league. The only weakness that would create a need is in net and that is a pretty tough situation to figure out.

Considering these facts the only reason Chicago would make a trade right now would be to improve their Cup chances this season. Trading 2 top 6 wingers for a guy who would play as the #4 or #5 dman on Chicago does not help. Volchenkov is a great dman who I would love to have on the team but he isn't really needed to the point of losing scoring depth up front.

This summer Chicago will have plenty of reasons to trade Versteeg, Ladd, and a 1st rounder, and that would be to create cap space for Toews, Kane, and Keith. This move does not accomplish that either. IMO the Hawks 1st rounder will be packaged with Campbell to essentially buy $4M+ in cap space.

senators101 10-12-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty justice (Post 21553862)
Chicago trades 2 50+ point players for a #4 dman? Fail.

This doesn't help our Cup chances this year or our cap next. No reason at all for Chicago to do this. The 1st rounder throw in from Chicago makes it more laughable.

Calling Volchenkov a 4th dman is like calling versteeg a 4th line player.

salty justice 10-12-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senators101 (Post 21554453)
Calling Volchenkov a 4th dman is like calling versteeg a 4th line player.

My apologies I meant to say that Volchenkov would get #4 minutes on Chicago. I realize he is a top pairing guy on Ottawa and would be on many other teams in the league.

internetdotcom 10-12-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty justice (Post 21553862)
This doesn't help our Cup chances this year or our cap next.

It actually does help your cap next year, since you are getting rid of more salary than you are taking in, and you can just let A-Train walk after the season if you don't want to re-sign him, freeing up even more cap space for TKK raises.

projexns 10-12-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoSenators11 (Post 21552010)
If Ottawa can't resign Volchenkov by the Deadline


To OTT:
Versteeg
1st'10

To CHI:
Volchenkov

Chicago could use the support on defense, and Ottawa doesn't want another defenseman, as they currently have 7 top 6 defenseman and would be down to 6 after the trade.

Does one team need to add more?

Assuming that Chicago would be interested in Volchenkov, I don't understand why the 'Hawks would have to add a 1st-round pick in addition to Versteeg.

If the Sens don't think they can re-sign Volchenkov, wouldn't an NHL-proven young forward not eligible for UFA until 2013 be more than enough compensation for a player you would otherwise lose for nothing after this season?

projexns 10-12-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by internetdotcom (Post 21554741)
It actually does help your cap next year, since you are getting rid of more salary than you are taking in, and you can just let A-Train walk after the season if you don't want to re-sign him, freeing up even more cap space for TKK raises.

Nope.

We trade Versteeg for Volchenkov (forget about the 1st-round pick) who then leaves as a UFA, so we end up with nothing to show for Versteeg.

Or we can remain status quo for this year, make our Cup run, and then trade Versteeg for picks/prospects/whatever else is available.

salty justice 10-12-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projexns (Post 21554860)
Nope.

We trade Versteeg for Volchenkov (forget about the 1st-round pick) who then leaves as a UFA, so we end up with nothing to show for Versteeg.

Or we can remain status quo for this year, make our Cup run, and then trade Versteeg for picks/prospects/whatever else is available.

Bingo bango.

Worst case scenario for next year is that the Hawks cannot unload Campbell and Huet to clear enough space and absolutely have to get rid of Versteeg and Ladd. In that case both Versteeg and Ladd could fetch a 1st rounder or a pretty good prospect.

Beukeboom Fan 10-12-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoSenators11 (Post 21554370)
Sorry, It was Versteeg+ 2nd'10 to begin with, but I was getting told that Chicago Needed to add more.

How a bout Versteeg+1st?


Can you tell me the last deadline rental that got a very good young player who was contributing in a scoring line role PLUS a first round draft pick?

I'm a huge Volchenkov fan, but to think that he'd get more than a 1st round DP + a suspect at the deadline is crazy IMO.

SpezDispenser 10-12-2009 12:53 PM

Pass. I love A-Train and I can see him and Cowen forming a devastating duo in future years. I realize the point the OP is making about the possibility of A-Train not re-signing, but I'm sure we'll wait until the absolute 11th hour before making any kind of move - not to mention the positive buzz that Murray believes it will get done.

Besides, I would want Sharp straight up. You give something to get something.

Novak Djokovic 10-12-2009 12:54 PM

I'm pretty sure Washington would also be very interested in Volchenkov at trade deadline if we haven't already re-signed him. I hope he is re-signed.

Our future defense...3 years away:
Phillips - Volchenkov
Cowen - Karlsson
Weircioch - Lee

:)

internetdotcom 10-12-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projexns (Post 21554860)
Nope.

We trade Versteeg for Volchenkov (forget about the 1st-round pick) who then leaves as a UFA, so we end up with nothing to show for Versteeg.

Or we can remain status quo for this year, make our Cup run, and then trade Versteeg for picks/prospects/whatever else is available.

I wasn't referring to if it is fair value or not, I was only talking about the cap space that would be cleared (i.e. you would free up Versteeg and Ladd's combined cap hits). I wouldn't be surprised at all if Volchie were to re-sign with the Hawks if he were traded there. As long as you treat him well (and I have no reason to think that they won't), he likely would resign there. He is a heart and soul guy, and very loyal. I'd love to have him stay a Sen, but if there is no way to sign him here, you could certainly do a lot worse than A-Train. He's the kind of player that you have to see play on a regular basis to get a full grip on just how valuable he is.

As a Sens fan, I'd love to get him locked up to a good deal (hometown discount) for say 4 years at 2.5-3 mill per, but if not, I'd reluctantly trade him for some depth at forward, either a young NHL-ready guy, or a very good prospect.

Mach 9* 10-12-2009 01:41 PM

Ok, Hawks fans... Have fun even being in the playoffs with a horrible goalie, and no defensive defenseman

Moore Money 10-12-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoSenators11 (Post 21552010)
If Ottawa can't resign Volchenkov by the Deadline


To OTT:
Versteeg
1st'10

To CHI:
Volchenkov

Chicago could use the support on defense, and Ottawa doesn't want another defenseman, as they currently have 7 top 6 defenseman and would be down to 6 after the trade.

Does one team need to add more?

They don't need support on defense at all, they are great in that department.

DisgruntledHawkFan 10-12-2009 01:49 PM

You'd get our first rounder and a solid prospect for Volchenkov. Teams in contention don't move key pieces of there offense to load up.

Something like

First round pick + Jack Skille is about what you'll be able to get for Volchenkov come the deadline. Expecting a proven young scoring winger for a solid but not spectacular defenseman is just not realistic.

Karlssonlee 10-12-2009 01:53 PM

The thing is though, every team will most likely have to overpay for Volchenkov because he will be a valuable commodity at the deadline.

Teams like Washinghton, Chicago, Edmonton, Carolina, etc will desperately seek a defensive defenseman.

SenatorsLegionary 10-12-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpezDispenser (Post 21555520)
Pass. I love A-Train and I can see him and Cowen forming a devastating duo in future years. I realize the point the OP is making about the possibility of A-Train not re-signing, but I'm sure we'll wait until the absolute 11th hour before making any kind of move - not to mention the positive buzz that Murray believes it will get done.

Besides, I would want Sharp straight up. You give something to get something.

Took the words right out of my mouth!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.