HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   News Article: News & Notes 2009 III (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=691849)

Langway 10-13-2009 12:46 PM

News & Notes 2009 III

Ye olde thread.

txpd 10-13-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langway (Post 21577840)
Turns out Pothier was benched after the tying goal. Perhaps Pothier sits next, assuming Poti and Erskine stay in the line-up. Schultz practiced with Jurcina so maybe it's not Jurcina headed out of the line-up but rather Schultz getting in.

Yea, I was thinking that. I was surpised not to see RH harping on this. Pothier pulled off a dump in to avoid a hit that left the forechecker between Pothier and the puck and that started that mess on the tying goal. Had he been willing to take the hit to make the play, it might not have happened.

RandyHolt 10-13-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 21578220)
Yea, I was thinking that. I was surpised not to see RH harping on this. Pothier pulled off a dump in to avoid a hit that left the forechecker between Pothier and the puck and that started that mess on the tying goal. Had he been willing to take the hit to make the play, it might not have happened.

I wont bother harping on it as much, i have accepted it and moved on. But I am glad to see you have seen the light. Bruce sees it, I see it. With 17000 posts, you are long overdue. I was fearing all those car racing fumes were getting to you. Like Gibbs II.

Like I have said before, I dont blame Pothier. Sacrifice a minus to prolong the career and hope the guy doesnt score, or it just blows over. In this case, its not just "the personnel". Its management. Its GM's fault for bringing in guys with concussion histories, especially smaller defensemen.

HSHS 10-13-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

I don't understand this. Has not Boudreau broken up Ovechkin and Backstrom the last two playoff seasons? Boudreau has a history of moving Backstrom off OV's line.
Yeah and each time he goes back. Those moves came more out of desperation than some eppipheny. Its obvious AO/NB like each other and feed off each other.

While there's nothing forever in sports. I would find it very ballsy to keep them apart for extended periods of time, if not permanently, and say that the #1 center plays with the top, but erratic RW, while the MVP is playing with less skilled, but capable role players.

As I said I think it can work but may be difficult to manage AO's icetime wrt BMo and Knuble. And if not done properly then those older players are more susceptible to injury or wear come playoff time.

I agree I wasn't clear in my OP.

Foy 10-13-2009 01:21 PM

Wasn't it against NJ that Pothier made that god-awful clear up the middle that lead to a GWG back in '07? He got benched, came back and played great for a month before getting Lucic'd.

HSHS 10-13-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

yeah a lot of guys do this. But its typically the guys who can be physical once the forechecker gets the puck. Juice and Mo can do this. Pots needs to be like Green and go for it and quickly jump into boards/turn/shield his body/puck from the hit.

This type of play is the one's that the Green-haters miss so often when failing to appreciate what he does.

Chimaera 10-13-2009 01:31 PM

Moving Backstrom is a motivator. Getting them to pass less, shoot more, play less cute, and then he'll move them back.

I've thought for a while that Semin and Backstrom could be good together, but the obvious chemistry with Ovechkin makes it hard to move him.

Atlas 10-13-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I saw Pothier bail out and lose the puck in the defensive zone against Detroit. They didn't score but I'm sure the players and coaches of both teams took note.

BrooklynCapsFan 10-13-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foy (Post 21578610)
Wasn't it against NJ that Pothier made that god-awful clear up the middle that lead to a GWG back in '07? He got benched, came back and played great for a month before getting Lucic'd.

This is accurate.

Foy 10-13-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 21578847)
This is accurate.

yeah, I was at that game in NJ.

txpd 10-13-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSHS (Post 21578608)
Yeah and each time he goes back. Those moves came more out of desperation than some eppipheny. Its obvious AO/NB like each other and feed off each other.

While there's nothing forever in sports. I would find it very ballsy to keep them apart for extended periods of time, if not permanently, and say that the #1 center plays with the top, but erratic RW, while the MVP is playing with less skilled, but capable role players.

As I said I think it can work but may be difficult to manage AO's icetime wrt BMo and Knuble. And if not done properly then those older players are more susceptible to injury or wear come playoff time.

I agree I wasn't clear in my OP.

I don't see the need or the value in breaking them up permanently. Backstrom's value is passing to a closer. If Semin is going to be a 40-50 goal scorer, I suppose it doesn't matter which of the two Backstrom is passing to. For periods of time having them together and having them apart makes perfect sense.

I think SOB is a line better used in certain situations like catching up in the 3rd period than as a primary combination. Ovechkin/Semin and Laich/Knuble are similar in skills enough that they are better on different lines than the same line.

I think Bruce is recognizing that Morrisson is not the defensive center that Fedorov was and that skating Semin with Morrisson is asking for trouble. THIS might be the main reason that Bruce tried to make SOB a primary line rather than an in game adjustment.

Chokingdogs 10-13-2009 01:55 PM

http://www.stormingthecrease.com/200...m-smasher.html

discuss......

Foy 10-13-2009 01:56 PM

Semin, Osala and a 1st for Kovalchuk? I'd be on board.

Chokingdogs 10-13-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foy (Post 21579111)
Semin, Osala and a 1st for Kovalchuk? I'd be on board.

kovalchuk's a ufa after this season?

init2winit 10-13-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chokingdogs (Post 21579089)

Quote:

[S]emin, who might just be a slightly more skilled version of Miroslav Satan or Maxim Afinogenov.
Give me a break :shakehead

kmart 10-13-2009 02:19 PM

semin is capable of leading the nhl in points, you dont trade that away just because he/the team has a bad start.

Chokingdogs 10-13-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmart (Post 21579399)
semin is capable of leading the nhl in points, you dont trade that away just because he/the team has a bad start.

the point the writer is making, IMO, has little to do with this season's start and everything to do with the history semin has shown here the past four seasons.

BrooklynCapsFan 10-13-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmart (Post 21579399)
BLANK is capable of leading the nhl in points, you dont trade that away just because he/the team has a bad start.

You can fill in the blank with 3 different players on this team. And that's the reason that you think about moving Semin. Of those three players, he brings the least to the team.

HSHS 10-13-2009 02:39 PM

If you're going to make a Semin-hate blog post. It would be better if it were done earlier in the games in which he did suck. Last night, despite what the coach thought he saw, was not the systemic fault of a Laich-BMo-Semin line.

HSHS 10-13-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 21579685)
You can fill in the blank with 3 different players on this team. And that's the reason that you think about moving Semin. Of those three players, he brings the least to the team.

I don't think there's anyone who'd disagree with trading Semin so long as it made sense for the team. Trading from strength to address a weakness.

I'm just not sure that we'd get the value back that would make a trade worth while.

BrooklynCapsFan 10-13-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSHS (Post 21579769)
I don't think there's anyone who'd disagree with trading Semin so long as it made sense for the team. Trading from strength to address a weakness.

I'm just not sure that we'd get the value back that would make a trade worth while.

I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a top pairing defenseman. If that deal's not out there, I'm happy to keep him...but I do hope we can stick it to him in the contract negotiations (not likely given McPhee's history).

strungout 10-13-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

I'll tell you right now...if Kovalchuk was indeed the return...pending UFA or not...I'd totally make that deal.

I'd rather have a D man....but if it's Kovalchuk...I'd bite.

Chokingdogs 10-13-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

but you see, that's what differentiates a GM from a good GM. being able to trade a valuable asset, from a positon of strength, to land another valuable asset.

right now makfi holds all the cards with semin, the only X factor being him potentially jetting back to the motherland. its what he does with those cards, anything from re-signing to sending him packing to letting another team put in an offersheet and taking the picks, that will determine if he gets good value in return.

i wouldnt trade semin for kovalchuk straight up, much less with a first and another player, unless i felt the team had everything in place to make a run for the cup this season.

kmart 10-13-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 21579685)

agreed but i still wouldn't trade him for this reason.

ColincampbellOscopy 10-13-2009 02:54 PM

If Semin+Osala+1st would be enough to get Kovalchuk and get him signed at a reasonable deal around 7 mil or one of those Cap circumventing long term deals that'd be robbery for the Caps. That is beyond a pipe dream. Semin is a nice player with otherworldly skills, but Kovalchuck is a sure thing and a bonafide stud. If only...