HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Robert Nilsson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=691986)

oilers_smyth_94 10-13-2009 06:27 PM

Robert Nilsson

Nilsson is a very skilled player, which was the centerpiece of the Ryan Smyth trade to the Islanders a few years ago, but has seemed to become the odd man out on the Oilers and Pat Quinn isn't necessarily a fan, calling him a risky player with potential for lots of turnovers. He has another year left on his contract after this one, with a cap hit of 2 million dollars.

I was wondering which teams would be interested, and what he would go for?

millax 10-13-2009 06:30 PM

Either another player who isn't living up to his potential and is at odds with his organization, or maybe a 2nd round pick.

thadd 10-13-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_smyth_94 (Post 21583064)
Nilsson is a very skilled player, which was the centerpiece of the Ryan Smyth trade to the Islanders a few years ago, but has seemed to become the odd man out on the Oilers and Pat Quinn isn't necessarily a fan, calling him a risky player with potential for lots of turnovers. He has another year left on his contract after this one, with a cap hit of 2 million dollars.

I was wondering which teams would be interested, and what he would go for?

I thought the 1st rounder was the centerpiece of that trade.... didn't that nab us Plante? (Who's worth a hell of a lot more than Nilson now that's he's playing healthy again)

Nilson likely has negative value right now.

He's making 2 mill this year and next and he isn't even playing right now. He's a healthy scratch every night behind JFJ and Stone on LW and Stortini on the RW. Why?

He's very lazy. A sign that he still hasn't grown up. He put on a lot of muscle over the-off-season and I guess he came in thinking that he could just play on cruise control after working out over the summer, but that isn't the case.

He'll get waived or traded next year.

Wheatking 10-13-2009 10:46 PM

I'm sure they're trying to trade him for anything right now but if it can't be done then just put him on waivers.

If the Oilers were willing to lose Schremp for nothing then I don't know why they wouldn't do that with Nilsson either. Sure Schremp isn't as good as Nilsson but he also doesn't have a 2M cap hit. The Oilers are tight up against the cap and that's a lot of money just sitting in the pressbox. Once Pisani gets off IR they will most likely be over the cap.

caley 10-13-2009 10:52 PM

Right now, his value is negligible. Could get back some return if they hold off until there's some injuries around the league, as he'd be a relatively cheap stop-gap replacement for a team needing Top 6 help. Even then, though, it likely won't be much more than similar value to the Mathieu Garon deal last year: a player to put in the minors (In that case, Dany Sabourin) and a middling prospect (Ryan Stone, who's actually turning out to be pretty good this year).

JustinCider 10-13-2009 10:55 PM

Nilsson, Omara, and Plante

for

Smyth

thadd 10-13-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheatking (Post 21589120)
I'm sure they're trying to trade him for anything right now but if it can't be done then just put him on waivers.

If the Oilers were willing to lose Schremp for nothing then I don't know why they wouldn't do that with Nilsson either. Sure Schremp isn't as good as Nilsson but he also doesn't have a 2M cap hit. The Oilers are tight up against the cap and that's a lot of money just sitting in the pressbox. Once Pisani gets off IR they will most likely be over the cap.

It still remains to be seen if Nilson is better than Schremp.

Ollie Weeks 10-13-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinCider (Post 21589230)
Nilsson, Omara, and Plante

for

Smyth

JustinCider 10-14-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes (Post 21589425)

why not?

Ollie Weeks 10-14-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinCider (Post 21589856)
why not?

I`ve been following Omarra his whole career, nothing but an AHL backup. Nilson hasn`t been the same since that cup run with Calgary way back when. I don`t even know who Plante is, but I`ll bet he's a jerk.

McGhostbuster 10-14-2009 12:04 AM

Not much. Like a bag a pucks. Like ask yourself as a Oiler fan, what would you give up to get Robert Nilsson. And if you can answer that, then you've got you answer.

JustinCider 10-14-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes (Post 21589897)
I`ve been following Omarra his whole career, nothing but an AHL backup. Nilson hasn`t been the same since that cup run with Calgary way back when. I don`t even know who Plante is, but I`ll bet he's a jerk.

OK fine, but you're gonna regret it.:)

Yeah15 10-14-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Yeah, Robert Nilsson sure enjoyed his days playing for the Flames on their cup run. And Plante is definitely know among hockey circles as a "jerk". :laugh:
Anyways, it wasn't Nilsson, Plante and O'Marra for Smyth, it was Nilsson, Plante and O'marra for Smyth + 6.25 cap hit.

JustinCider 10-14-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeah15 (Post 21589994)
Yeah, Robert Nilsson sure enjoyed his days playing for the Flames on their cup run. And Plante is definitely know among hockey circles as a "jerk". :laugh:
Anyways, it wasn't Nilsson, Plante and O'Marra for Smyth, it was Nilsson, Plante and O'marra for Smyth + 6.25 cap hit.

The Oilers couldn't afford Smyth right now, not unless Horcoff went bye bye.

Tree444 10-14-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

I think you're thinking of the wrong Nilsson

TheBrokenRib 10-14-2009 12:26 AM

3rd rnd or 4th rnd pick. He wouldn't fetch a whole lot.

JustinCider 10-14-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tree444 (Post 21590038)
I think you're thinking of the wrong Nilsson

Nope, he's right.

oilers89 10-14-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinCider (Post 21590099)
Nope, he's right.

no he isnt. He is referring to marcus nilson not robert... so you n him are both wrong

Ollie Weeks 10-14-2009 01:13 AM

http://blog.kir.com/archives/oreillyconfused4.jpg

Holden Caulfield 10-14-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeah15 (Post 21589994)

Yes, it was the wrong Nilsson/Nilson. But Plante is a jerk, slow, takes bad penalties and basically useless. Horrible pick, I doubt he ever plays an NHL game to be honest. And don't say I don't know what I am talking about, I played against him. How the Oiler's felt he was worth a first rounder I will never know.

So it would basically be Nilsson who has probably negative value at this point for a guy who is been absolutely amazing this season for us. Yah, probably the worst trade I could imagine.

I never liked the return for Smyth for the Oilers, as O'Marra looked to be busting, Nilsson was basically a bust(apparently nobody told the Oilers) and the first was a middle of the pack first(but man they could not have messed it up any worse).

JustinCider 10-14-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers89 (Post 21590265)
no he isnt. He is referring to marcus nilson not robert... so you n him are both wrong

It's a joke, and I believe he was referring to Kent.

thadd 10-14-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

I don`t even know who Plante is, but I`ll bet he's a jerk.

Wow... talk about ignorant.

Anyhow, he's the second coming of Sheldon Souray, except he's bigger.

SP 10-14-2009 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 21591093)
Wow... talk about ignorant.

Funny you should mention that...

Read the post again, slick.

wej20 10-14-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto (Post 21590087)
3rd rnd or 4th rnd pick. He wouldn't fetch a whole lot.

and salary back

JustinCider 10-14-2009 11:31 AM

He has very little value right now due to his salary. I personally don't want to see the Oilers give him away. He has too much to just to give up on him.