HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Lapointe Suspended (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=69421)

easton122 04-09-2004 08:34 PM

Lapointe Suspended

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=79613

Does anybody have any more information on this? :eek:

Toonces 04-09-2004 08:42 PM

Oh no...

Poor Claude.

easton122 04-09-2004 08:48 PM

I would really like to know what he did. Lapointe is one of those guys who comes alive during the playoffs and plays like a really good checking line center on not just a 4th liner. He is a huge upgrade over Sharp or Somik and this hurts us :banghead:

The NHL put him in the Substance Abuse program last time when he was depressed. This is surprising and confusing :help:

stanley 04-09-2004 08:50 PM

I suspect the "suspension" is probably a result of NHL rules regarding this program, and not related to anything Lapointe did. When this came up earlier this year, it was clear that he entered the program due to depression, but was still considered suspended.

easton122 04-09-2004 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
I suspect the "suspension" is probably a result of NHL rules regarding this program, and not related to anything Lapointe did. When this came up earlier this year, it was clear that he entered the program due to depression, but was still considered suspended.

That sounds about right.....what did they just realize he was playing :shakehead

They wait until after the 1st game of the playoffs to suspend him.....wonderful :madfire:

:flyers

MojoJojo 04-09-2004 09:00 PM

I've never been entirely satisfied with the depression story myself. I know they have said it repeatedly, and his kids had to deal with people saying his father was a junkie (the rumour I heard was that he was addicted to pain killers). But the management of pro sports teams, not just the Flyers, are notorious for lying and covering these sorts of things up. I mean, this is the playoffs, the most important time of the year for the players, the team and the league. You have to think that it would take more than a procedural violation, or a technicality in the rules of the Substance abuse program to keep him off the ice.

Steve L* 04-09-2004 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
the rumour I heard was that he was addicted to pain killers

Just how do you get addicted to painkillers? I have to take them for 2 broken feet yet I dont see why anyone would get addicted to them.

Its tough luck on Claude and tough luck on the Flyers.

Dr Love 04-09-2004 10:15 PM

Ugh, this sucks. I've always really liked Claude, back to his early Islander days, he's a great meat and potatoes no nonsense guy. But this is just really discouraging.

GKJ 04-09-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122
That sounds about right.....what did they just realize he was playing :shakehead

They wait until after the 1st game of the playoffs to suspend him.....wonderful :madfire:

:flyers

A suggesstion from JFF in the HF chat is that he probably didn't check in with doctors or something.

swflyers8* 04-09-2004 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I've never been entirely satisfied with the depression story myself. I know they have said it repeatedly, and his kids had to deal with people saying his father was a junkie (the rumour I heard was that he was addicted to pain killers). But the management of pro sports teams, not just the Flyers, are notorious for lying and covering these sorts of things up. I mean, this is the playoffs, the most important time of the year for the players, the team and the league. You have to think that it would take more than a procedural violation, or a technicality in the rules of the Substance abuse program to keep him off the ice.

It's nice to see you assume the best in our guys. You could see it in Lapointe that he wasn't happy. He looked tired. He didn't look like he was enjoying anything, that's depression. He won a few Isles awards and then went to not being played up there at all. That does something to you to have people treat you one way and then treat you like dirt. He was very mad about the fact that kids were teasing his children for something that was not true at all. If the NHL let anything slide in this bad time, they would look bad if it was made public. Just covering their bases.

RoDu 04-10-2004 12:34 AM

Desjardins re-injures his recently healed broken arm...Lapointe back in rehab...old injuries coming back from the dead to haunt us

NJDevs430 04-10-2004 03:05 AM

This is too bad for Lapointe.
I wish him all the best and good luck in his recovery.

FlyersGuy69 04-10-2004 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Just how do you get addicted to painkillers? I have to take them for 2 broken feet yet I dont see why anyone would get addicted to them.

Its tough luck on Claude and tough luck on the Flyers.

it happens all the time. prescription painkillers are narcotics and are addictive.

it's like anything else, you take something (uppers, downers, coke, heroin) and you feel it but, after awhile you start to build a tolerance for them and you need more. people with addictive personalities get affected that much faster.

Rex88 04-10-2004 07:45 AM

If it is pain killers, they are very addictive and in people you see every day at work, school, everywhere.
I just don't see that he would have been given anything like that if he was in this program, it is likely something else going on now.

anonymous* 04-10-2004 07:56 AM

Let's see 4 power plays to 1. All the little ticky tack penalties coming our way. Flyers win. Loss of Dejardins and a Devils loss. Now Lapointe suspended.

It's just a conspiracy theory (more of a joke) but this sucks. :banghead: :mad:

Flyman 04-10-2004 08:34 AM

Tell me who the @$%# has the voodoo doll??? :madfire:

After Rico, we now lost Lappy. This is gonna hurt us, for sure. He's got so much experience, which is what Hitch si looking for from his vets.
Ken said yesterday that Sharpie will take Claude's spot on the lineup. I just hope that Patrick will be at 150% tonight!

Cup4Philly 04-10-2004 12:03 PM

The timing of this couldn't be worse. If Claude really is suffering from a "relapse" of depression, then pulling him out of the playoffs certainly isn't going to help him feel any better. If anything, it's probably going to make him feel even MORE depressed.

In any event, I wish Claude the best. The Flyers are definitely going to miss him. But now it's time for Patrick Sharp to step up.

Toonces 04-10-2004 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup4Philly
If Claude really is suffering from a "relapse" of depression, then pulling him out of the playoffs certainly isn't going to help him feel any better. If anything, it's probably going to make him feel even MORE depressed.

That's not how clinical depression works.

King Fish 04-10-2004 05:30 PM

Let's go Sharp! Time to step up.

Coburnfan05 04-10-2004 06:17 PM

Lappy will be missed. :cry:

I think Sharp will come in and provide alot of energy.

The Seeker 25 04-11-2004 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
it happens all the time. prescription painkillers are narcotics and are addictive.

it's like anything else, you take something (uppers, downers, coke, heroin) and you feel it but, after awhile you start to build a tolerance for them and you need more. people with addictive personalities get affected that much faster.

Yup, just ask Brett Favre and Matthew Perry, two of the more high profile people I remember hearing were addicted to pain killers.

Dizzy 04-11-2004 12:53 PM

Looks like Lapointe failed a random drug test.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

ChowsBaby21 04-21-2004 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piggy2
Looks like Lapointe failed a random drug test.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

Lappy did fail the drug test, but interesting in the article that they say he will be in rehab for 45 to 60 days, when he refused to go back to rehab to begin with. I wish him all the best, he is truly a great guy.