HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Leafs have 16 players without contracts next year...why no fuss from Maguire etc (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=694903)

shayne 10-21-2009 05:21 PM

Leafs have 16 players without contracts next year...why no fuss from Maguire etc

Gainey was ripped last year for not signing his ufa's and rfa's, i have not heard word 1 about the Leafs, is it more toronto bias or do people now realize Gainey did the right thing by not signing all those stiffs(komisarek, kovalev, higgins, dandeneault, bouillon, brisebois et all are stinking up the joint this year)

i just thought it was a point of interest and if i had a chance i would ask Pierre what the difference is, maybe he has a crush on Burke and or Toronto

John-Eric Iannicello 10-21-2009 05:23 PM

Little early for this isn't it? :laugh:

Transplanted Caper 10-21-2009 05:29 PM

Leafs with no contract next season:

Kulemin
Wallin
Mitchell
Stajan
Ponikarovsky
Primeau
Mayers
Stempniak
Wallin
Van Ryn
Exelby
White
Toskala
Gustavsson
MacDonald

No Komisarek, Koivu or Kovalev among them. Nobody would command a big pay day. The situations are completely different. Kulemin, White, Mitchell and Gustavsson are only ons I'd bet money on returning.

8BostonRocker24 10-21-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper (Post 21711659)

Kulemin
Wallin
Mitchell
Stajan
Ponikarovsky
Primeau
Mayers
Stempniak
Wallin
Van Ryn
Exelby
White
Toskala
Gustavsson
MacDonald

No Komisarek, Koivu or Kovalev among them. Nobody would command a big pay day. The situations are completely different. Kulemin, White, Mitchell and Gustavsson are only ons I'd bet money on returning.

This.
Montreal also replaced those players with overpriced UFAs or traded for a player with one of the worst contracts in the sport.

Sad Panda 10-21-2009 05:34 PM

Uhh... we're still in October and a decent number of those guys will be moved for picks, or atleast attempted to be moved for picks. Outside of 3 or 4 in that list, it wouldn't be such a bad thing if most moved on.

They'll sign a couple of them to new deals, others will be traded for picks, and the rest... bye bye!

tp71 10-21-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayne (Post 21711546)
Gainey was ripped last year for not signing his ufa's and rfa's, i have not heard word 1 about the Leafs, is it more toronto bias or do people now realize Gainey did the right thing by not signing all those stiffs(komisarek, kovalev, higgins, dandeneault, bouillon, brisebois et all are stinking up the joint this year)

i just thought it was a point of interest and if i had a chance i would ask Pierre what the difference is, maybe he has a crush on Burke and or Toronto

Dont know if youve noticed or not, but Brisebois retired. How exactly is he stinking up the joint? Same with Dandeneault as he JUST signed a PTO.

Johnny Utah 10-21-2009 05:41 PM

Most of those guys are trash anyways....the core for them now is Schenn, Kessell, Beauchemein, and Komisarek....

Difference is Montreal lost there "core" or never really had any...either the core players were too old or too young...Streit and Souray leaving for nothing hurt them...so they had to go out and sign and trade for some guys between 25-30....they still don't have any stud younger players playing on the NHL team...Which is weird because HF has them ranked #2 of organizational ratings over all.

Plekanec is already 27 and guys like Gill, Spacek are over 30.....Price is there best young player....and that's a question mark the past 2 years.

SedinFan* 10-21-2009 05:42 PM

Let them all walk.

My Sweet Shadow 10-21-2009 05:42 PM

Kessel, Blake, Hagman, Grabovski, Orr, Stalberg, Bozak, Hanson, and Kadri up front next year.
Komisarek, Kaberle, Beachemin, Schenn and Finger on the back end.

Sign one or two big names up front, resign or find a few new mid-line forwards, call up Gunnarsson or Oreskovic for the 6th defenseman, resign Gustavsson, and find a back-up.

This is not going to be Montreal 2.0

btn 10-21-2009 05:42 PM

This is as big a part of Burke's rebuild as bringing in the UFAs this summer.

How many of those players do you think Burke even wants back next year? With the way they are playing now, will many fans mind most of them not coming back?

YogiCanucks 10-21-2009 05:44 PM

I think it's a little different for Toronto. They are in a rebuilding (or what ever the heck you want to call it) stage. Montréal was a competitive team and it's important to resign those same guys (though honestly, I think they've done alright for themselves)

Sebastien Centomo 10-21-2009 05:46 PM

A little bit of thought goes a looong way...
Posted via Mobile Device

Flyersguru 10-21-2009 05:46 PM

Don't all those players combine for like $5 million in cap space?

wubwubwubwub 10-21-2009 06:03 PM

Toronto has 38mil committed to Kessel, Blake, Hagman, Grabo, Stalberg, Orr, Rosehill, Komi, Kaberle, Beauchemin, Finger, and Schenn.

Thats 7 forwards (5 of whom can easily play top 6) and 5 D-men, all of whom are top 6 d. Lets assume Wallin is back for 1.3, Kulemin is back for 1.75, and Stepniak is back for 2.5 (only way they'd resign him is if he continues his strong play, and his play warrants 2.5mil). They then resign Gustav for 1.5 as well, and White for 2.5. Bozak and Hanson are on ELCs

That would leave them with 12F 6D and 1G all signed for 48mil. That leaves around 8mil for one of Kovalchuck, Savard, Frolov, Demitra, Plekanec, O.Jokinen, Svatos, Kariya, Marleau, Semin, Backstrom, Setoguchi, Brassard, Mueller, Kane, Toews, Foligno, Wheeler, Lucic, Little, Ryan, Keith, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Volchenkov, Gonchar, Martin, Hiller, Rinne, Turco, or Nabokov, and a role player. That's assuming they don't trade/waive one of Hagman, Blake, Kaberle, or Finger. Leafs are keeping the core intact which makes this way different then the Habs situation.

Leafidelity 10-21-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersguru (Post 21711903)
Don't all those players combine for like $5 million in cap space?

Probably closer to half our payroll

ILuvLucic* 10-21-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 (Post 21711700)
This.
Montreal also replaced those players with overpriced UFAs or traded for a player with one of the worst contracts in the sport.

1) What Gainey did during the off-season has nothing to do with this thread.

2) Quit trolling.

Number13 10-21-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tp71 (Post 21711794)
Dont know if youve noticed or not, but Brisebois retired. How exactly is he stinking up the joint? Same with Dandeneault as he JUST signed a PTO.

Yeah, retirement homes are stinky to begin with!

Pure 10-21-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow (Post 21711842)
Kessel, Blake, Hagman, Grabovski, Orr, Stalberg, Bozak, Hanson, and Kadri up front next year.
Komisarek, Kaberle, Beachemin, Schenn and Finger on the back end.

Sign one or two big names up front, resign or find a few new mid-line forwards, call up Gunnarsson or Oreskovic for the 6th defenseman, resign Gustavsson, and find a back-up.

This is not going to be Montreal 2.0

Toronto wishes it could be Montreal 2.0 with this record.

Getaway 10-21-2009 06:22 PM

this is also why there's going to be even more player movement this year for the leafs because there's only about 4 players that i believe toronto will be signing this year making this another interesting year in leaf land.

hope something good happens to this organization.

Viller 10-21-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcrew (Post 21712105)
Toronto has 38mil committed to Kessel, Blake, Hagman, Grabo, Stalberg, Orr, Rosehill, Komi, Kaberle, Beauchemin, Finger, and Schenn.

Thats 7 forwards (5 of whom can easily play top 6)

5 of whom can play top 6? Remember you guys traded those first round picks... Kessel is the only legit first line player of all those fowards, that I'd want part of my first line anyway.

All I'm saying is none of those players, save Kessel, would make a playoffs team's top 6.

417 10-21-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn (Post 21711845)
This is as big a part of Burke's rebuild as bringing in the UFAs this summer.

How many of those players do you think Burke even wants back next year? With the way they are playing now, will many fans mind most of them not coming back?

Well that was also behind what Gainey was trying to do...Of the 11 UFA`s on the Habs roster last year, there were 3 maybe 4 who he wanted back and negotiated with.

What`s the difference?

Oh yeah...Burke`s a genius

Transplanted Caper 10-21-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 21712430)
Well that was also behind what Gainey was trying to do...Of the 11 UFA`s on the Habs roster last year, there were 3 maybe 4 who he wanted back and negotiated with.

What`s the difference?

Oh yeah...Burke`s a genius

The obvious difference is that Toronto has no core players to replace.

Eisen 10-21-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayne (Post 21711546)

There aren't a whole lot of Leafs that you need to secure at this point.

sgupca 10-21-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper (Post 21711659)

Kulemin
Wallin
Mitchell
Stajan
Ponikarovsky
Primeau
Mayers
Stempniak
Wallin
Van Ryn
Exelby
White
Toskala
Gustavsson
MacDonald

Highlighted are the only ones worth keeping,

this is why our season is off to an 0-7 start :shakehead

My Sweet Shadow 10-21-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure (Post 21712322)
Toronto wishes it could be Montreal 2.0 with this record.

Wow, thanks, I didn't realize Toronto has such an awful record.

My comments weren't meant to be a shot at Montreal at all; I was replying to the OP's claim that Toronto will be in an identical situation this offseason as Montreal was last year.

(And at this point, the gap between 24th and 30th isn't all that far. I don't think either side can brag.)