HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Leino Benched.... its about time (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=698627)

DaFranzenator 10-31-2009 01:30 PM

Leino Benched.... its about time

So far this year i've been very, very unimpressed with Leino's play, I expected him to come out and take advantage of his increased role with the Wings.

Instead he's played some really lazy, uninspired hockey.... plus I dont know how I didnt notice this last year but is possible this guy is a worse skater than Homer, I mean sometimes it looks like his skates are weighed down with 50lbs of concrete.

Anyway here's the link, also mentions Babs switching up the lineup... just like everyone expected.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009103...sit-next-game-

kuick 10-31-2009 02:10 PM

Hopefully this'll be a 'wake-up call' and he can find his game this year.

Bob Probert Owns You 10-31-2009 02:58 PM

Rather unfortunate that he gets benched the game after we lose Flip for 6 weeks.

DaFranzenator 10-31-2009 06:33 PM

Wow 2 comments about Leino being benched I figured more people would have something to say about this, guess not?

zecke26 10-31-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaAnotherWingsFaN (Post 21893839)
Wow 2 comments about Leino being benched I figured more people would have something to say about this, guess not?

why?

helm was scratched = no thread
maltby was scratched = no thread
eaves was scratched = no thread

i don't see the big deal. leino is a rookie, is not playing well, gets scratched.

or do you wait for his fanboys? they won't show up at the moment. ;)

DaFranzenator 10-31-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zecke26 (Post 21894039)
why?

helm was scratched = no thread
maltby was scratched = no thread
eaves was scratched = no thread

i don't see the big deal. leino is a rookie, is not playing well, gets scratched.

or do you wait for his fanboys? they won't show up at the moment. ;)

True, I don't know I atleast expected to hear from Nordic on how terrible Leino is, lol. But I thought the thread would be a little more interesting especially with Filps being out and not having many other options. I figured people might be questioning Babs in taking someone out who is supposed to be an offensive threat, especially when we have two key offensive players out with injuries. Oh well, I tried.

zecke26 10-31-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaAnotherWingsFaN (Post 21894607)
True, I don't know I atleast expected to hear from Nordic on how terrible Leino is, lol. But I thought the thread would be a little more interesting especially with Filps being out and not having many other options. I figured people might be questioning Babs in taking someone out who is supposed to be an offensive threat, especially when we have two key offensive players out with injuries. Oh well, I tried.

with helm it worked well. he was scratched and responded with 1+1 and +3 the next game. so i don't see a reason to question this move. leino didn't produce and that's his job. especially after a good preseason i expected much more. but i think he will find his groove sooner or later.

DaFranzenator 10-31-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zecke26 (Post 21894902)
with helm it worked well. he was scratched and responded with 1+1 and +3 the next game. so i don't see a reason to question this move. leino didn't produce and that's his job. especially after a good preseason i expected much more. but i think he will find his groove sooner or later.

Well lets hope and pray cause we need him more now than ever and hopefully Helmer can keep it up too, obviously not expecting a point a game cause thats not the type of player he is, but 35-40pts this year wouldn't hurt.:huh:

Nordic* 11-02-2009 12:02 PM

God, I love being right;)

RedMenace 11-02-2009 01:42 PM

I'm certainly not thrilled with Leino's start, but a lot of people were expecting him to come in and be an immediate replacement for Hudler -- which he's not.

I'd love to see the guy do well, but it seems to me that so many expectations were put on him from the start that he may just be faltering a little bit under the pressure.

Shoalzie 11-02-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMenace (Post 21920441)
I'm certainly not thrilled with Leino's start, but a lot of people were expecting him to come in and be an immediate replacement for Hudler -- which he's not.

At worst, I hoped he could replace Samuelsson's production initially and eventually surpass it in the next few years. The talk of him winning the Calder or being a contender for the award was asking too much too soon.

doublejack 11-02-2009 02:09 PM

Personally, I feel not enough pressure has been put on Leino. I'd like to see him get a shot playing with either Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Homer is scoring, but nobody else has done jack squat when they've gotten a chance to play on Datsyuk's or Zetterberg's wing. Bertuzzi, Cleary, Williams... all fail.

RedMenace 11-02-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 21920744)
At worst, I hoped he could replace Samuelsson's production initially and eventually surpass it in the next few years. The talk of him winning the Calder or being a contender for the award was asking too much too soon.

The problem seems to be, at this point, the Wings have signed three Samuelsson replacements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublejack (Post 21920794)
Personally, I feel not enough pressure has been put on Leino. I'd like to see him get a shot playing with either Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Homer is scoring, but nobody else has done jack squat when they've gotten a chance to play on Datsyuk's or Zetterberg's wing. Bertuzzi, Cleary, Williams... all fail.

You never know what a young skill player will do with two other skill players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Leino could be Holmstrom Lite, or he could just be another fail. The only problem with putting too much pressure on him too soon is he could have a huge collapse. This is only his second year in the North American system, and you don't want to give him a major setback before he has anything TO set back.

Winger98 11-02-2009 04:59 PM

I don't think it's a pressure issue with Leino. From what I've seen of him this season, he's not playing the same type of hockey that made him successful last season. Last season he was going to the net and doing a lot of ugly, dirty and effective grunt work. This year, he's avoided the high traffic areas and his production and effectiveness have slipped.

Regardless of the line Leino is on, they need to get him going to the net again. They do that and they'll get him to produce.

detredWINgs 11-02-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winger98 (Post 21923251)
I don't think it's a pressure issue with Leino. From what I've seen of him this season, he's not playing the same type of hockey that made him successful last season. Last season he was going to the net and doing a lot of ugly, dirty and effective grunt work. This year, he's avoided the high traffic areas and his production and effectiveness have slipped.

Regardless of the line Leino is on, they need to get him going to the net again. They do that and they'll get him to produce.

Agreed. He looks like a shell of the guy he was.

I sometimes wonder how scathing Babcock can be about back-checking/defensive awareness with this team. If a guy is sensitive, who knows if hes going to be focusing on his defensive game to the point where it detracts from his overall game so as to avoid Babcock's wrath.

To me, it looks like Leino is constantly concerned about committing to the offensive zone. Hes not a fast skater, and when you combine that with Babs' defensive demands, he could just be wary of driving down the middle or battling for pucks, and getting caught as a result. His move of choice has become a wrister from the perimeter, which allows him a quick transition from offense to defense, and I rarely see him past the hash marks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leino is too concerned about being the goat to loosen up and play with a comfortable stick in the offensive zone.

Winger98 11-02-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detredWINgs (Post 21923677)
Agreed. He looks like a shell of the guy he was.

I sometimes wonder how scathing Babcock can be about back-checking/defensive awareness with this team. If a guy is sensitive, who knows if hes going to be focusing on his defensive game to the point where it detracts from his overall game so as to avoid Babcock's wrath.

To me, it looks like Leino is constantly concerned about committing to the offensive zone. Hes not a fast skater, and when you combine that with Babs' defensive demands, he could just be wary of driving down the middle or battling for pucks, and getting caught as a result. His move of choice has become a wrister from the perimeter, which allows him a quick transition from offense to defense, and I rarely see him past the hash marks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leino is too concerned about being the goat to loosen up and play with a comfortable stick in the offensive zone.

Could definitely be part of it. Another part might be Leino being used to bigger ice. As you said, he stops at the hash marks and either throws a weak shot on goal or gives the puck up. On bigger ice, over by the boards, he would have time to make a play from that spot. In the NHL, the defense is immediately on top of him.

Whatever it is, it needs to get fixed. The guy's too good to just slip away to nothing.

Bob Probert Owns You 11-02-2009 09:21 PM

My biggest beef with Leino is that he looks like an offensive guard when he skates... he needs some more power skating lessons.