HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: Are the Thrashers interested in Habs players? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=700244)

Belso 11-05-2009 04:03 AM

Are the Thrashers interested in Habs players?

I read in the paper (the Gazette) today that Red Fisher met up with Peter Mahovlich before the Game in Montreal yesterday. Peter is a scout for the Thrashers. Red asked him, "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be scouting your team's next opponent?" Peter replied, "We've got to see what we've got without Kovalchuk, We've got to see what we need."

Funny enough I see Bob Hartley interviewing Kovalchuk on RDS last night and Kovalchuk has lots of nice things to say about Montreal.

Then things start firing in my head today after I read the article. Why would Peter be in Montreal to see what they are missing? First off, The GM and Coach's are at the game, no? Aren't those the guys who are supposed to know their team inside out? Scout's jobs are to analyze other teams not their own. There are the GM's extra EYES.. Second, Peter said something that was either a lie or a clear sign that they are thinking long term. Kovalchuk has yet to sign with Atlanta and if they think they can win without his high salary, then maybe they will trade him before the year is over. He's not going to be gone until March. He'll miss about a month.

So if it takes about a week to evaluate the team without Kovalchuk and I wouldn't expect them to make a trade for yet another week minimum. So that's 2 weeks. But Kovalchuk is said to be back in 3-5 weeks. So would you risk trading Kovalchuk or wait a week and get him back healthy unless you are thinking long term? What's the big difference between Kovalchuck being out for a about a month and trading him 1 to 3 weeks before he comes back?

So that brings me to the big picture. Couldn't Peter be here to scout the Habs? If Atlanta is really serious to replace Kovalchuk so fast, wouldn't you want all your scouts to be looking at other teams looking to trade people? Or teams that have a surplus of forwards? There were 4 other games last night. Wouldn't it have been more beneficial to have Peter be at one of those other games and see as many teams play as possible if they want to make a fast trade?

But wait, doesn't Montreal have a guy who asked for a trade a few weeks ago? Don't the Habs have a surplus of forwards (I know 3rd and 4th lines) ? Isn't there a guy name Andrei who is not happy right now that looks like he's got potential to be a star in the NHL? Here's what I posted earlier in another thread....

Here's a note on Ak46 last game against Atlanta:

12:03 min of ice time.

Plus 1

3 shots on goal (Same as Plekanec, 19:14 min ice time)

4 hits, second on the team after Moen 5 and ahead of Lapierre and Stewart with 3 each.

Maybe Andrei wasn't trying to impress Martin. Maybe he was trying to impress Atlanta. Their whole organization where there!

The Habs could throw in another prospect and even a pick and be able to absorb Kovalchuk's Salary with without The Kostitsyns + whomever they throw into the deal.

Kovalev came here as a trade at the end of his contract and signed a 4 year extension. So why not Kovalchuk? I read all the time the Habs need another top 6 forward, but the Habs would not need another top 6 forward if they went to get Kovalchuk.

It doesn't matter who plays with Kovalchuk because,

Kovalchuk Gomez Gionta
Cammalleri Plekanec Yuppi

or

Kovalchuk Plekanec Yuppi
Cammalleri Gomez Gionta

would already be much better than what the Habs have. And when Markov comes back, you have a real contender..

Replace Latendresse or Pacioretty with Yuppi if you must... To be honest, I'd ever consider playing Metropolit as a RW...

Anyways, In the few years I've been on HFboards I have never posted a speculation.. But for some reason, this one called out to me..

Besides, Waddell owes Bob for the Hossa incident... ;) Pulling out of a trade with 3 min. to go :shakehead

Any thoughts?

josra33 11-05-2009 04:06 AM

I appreciate the enthusiasm and it seems like you did your homework and that is commendable. The problem lies in that Montreal is just not going to dismantle their team this early in the year. They need time to gel. Eventually they will hit some sort of a streak and everyone will play well together and hopefully this streak lasts long enough to propel them into a playoff spot (or close to one).

Belso 11-05-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josra33 (Post 21969047)
I appreciate the enthusiasm and it seems like you did your homework and that is commendable. The problem lies in that Montreal is just not going to dismantle their team this early in the year. They need time to gel. Eventually they will hit some sort of a streak and everyone will play well together and hopefully this streak lasts long enough to propel them into a playoff spot (or close to one).

They won't be dismantling their team if they trade the Kostitsyns and another player for Kovalchuk. Every team wants a Kovalchuk.. The Habs are lucky to have guys available to trade right now that would not hurt the team.. Sergei's in Hamilton and Andrei's playing on the 4th line. No team will trade a great young player playing well for an UFA. If Atlanta has no attendance they have a heard time making money.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2009

The are second last. Even Kovalchuk can't keep people in the stands. Kovalchuk wants a big contract and if they can win with other players with talent, instead of one high priced player who doesn't even get people to come see them play in the first place, it's not a big difference to trade A+S Kostitsyn and Let's say Chipchura for Kovalchuk.

There's no dismantling. Just addition... Addition of one of the best forwards in the league...

m00ks 11-05-2009 04:23 AM

No money. Wadell won't trade. If he does trade, its for a much much much better package than K bros and Chipper. Pipe dream.

HarlemsFinest 11-05-2009 04:35 AM

this would be lordly

BobbyFischer* 11-05-2009 04:49 AM

I bet Kovalchuk would wanna sign back after he is treated like a GOD in Montreal.

BOOK IT. (if we trade for him)

Belso 11-05-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam19 (Post 21969097)
At trade deadline they got:
Angelo Esposito, Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen and a first-round draft pick (Daulton Leveille)
for Marian Hossa.

What do you expect to pay for Kovalchuck now?
Subban, Weber, MaxPac, Pyatt, Kristo, Leblanc and Cichy?
You need at least three first round draft... Or two first round and two second rounds...

All this for a rental for 3-4 months...

Quote:

Originally Posted by m00ks (Post 21969088)
No money. Wadell won't trade. If he does trade, its for a much much much better package than K bros and Chipper. Pipe dream.

A.Kostitsyn > Armstrong

S.Kostitsyn ~ Christensen

Chipchura ~ Esposito

1 round pick = 1 round pick.

And you can work out a way to get the money.

Andrei 3.250M
Sergei 0.817M
Chip 0.500M

Laraque to AHL 1.5M

Kovalchuk cap hit 6.4

If I can get close to the difference I'm sure Julien Brisbois can find a solution... If he's available, someone's going to find a way to get him under the cap.

And you could have said the same thing about Kovalev being a rental. He came back for 4 years and now that he's gone still misses Montreal..

Kovalchuk said himself that he wants to make the play-offs and have a chance to win a cup. He would compliment the Habs and I think they are a Stanley cup contender with him in the line up.

Kovalchuk had only 4 more goals than Cammalleri last season. Our PP would be sick when Markov came back!

Belso 11-05-2009 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyFischer (Post 21969142)
I bet Kovalchuk would wanna sign back after he is treated like a GOD in Montreal.

BOOK IT. (if we trade for him)

Like Kovalev.. :nod:

One Man Rock Band 11-05-2009 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belso (Post 21969239)
A.Kostitsyn > Armstrong

Chipchura ~ Esposito

Andrei 3.250M
Sergei 0.817M
Chip 0.500M

Laraque to AHL 1.5M

Kovalchuk cap hit 6.4

If I can get close to the difference I'm sure Julien Brisbois can find a solution... If he's available, someone's going to find a way to get him under the cap.

And you could have said the same thing about Kovalev being a rental. He came back for 4 years and now that he's gone still misses Montreal..

Kovalchuk said himself that he wants to make the play-offs and have a chance to win a cup. He would compliment the Habs and I think they are a Stanley cup contender with him in the line up.

Kovalchuk had only 4 more goals than Cammalleri last season. Our PP would be sick when Markov came back!

Nice that we can subtract Sergei's salary even though he's in the minors. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

tigerman111 11-05-2009 05:54 AM

e35 eklund is reading this and will be one of his 'sources' soon.

HockeyF3ind 11-05-2009 05:57 AM

To Atlanta:

A Kost
S Kost
Chips
1st Rounder 2010

to Montreal:
Kovalchuk

Its a fair trade for a rental of such magnitude, and if he resigns for 5 years (Bob's fav contract length) then we would have a stellar cup contending team for years to come (provided the contract isn't insanely pricey). Just Imagine...

Kovalchuk - Plecks - D'Agostini
Cammy - Gomez - Gionta
Moen - Laps - Latendresse
Stewart - Metropolit - Patches

and a PP like this

Cammy - Gomez - Gionta
Markov - Kovalchuk

OMGOMGOMGOMG....Markov feeding Kovalchuk would be un****inreal!

JHabs 11-05-2009 06:18 AM

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but they interviewed Lecavalier at his own villa to no end last year, so as much as I really want Kovalchuk, I don't see it happening.

ECWHSWI 11-05-2009 06:23 AM

can he replace all of Markov, O'Byrne and Gill on D ?

JHabs 11-05-2009 06:25 AM

A.K
S.K
Lats
Carle
1st 2011
conditional 2nd if Kovalchuk resigns with us

for Kovalchuk and a 3rd

Done.

Pr3Va1L 11-05-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josra33 (Post 21969047)

For Kovalchuk, any team has gotta be ready to dismantle itself anytime whatsoever :nod:

Daice 11-05-2009 07:05 AM

guys, kovalchuk >.>>>>>>>Hossa

maybe not by points or 2 way play but he has a crazy good reputation in the league, ince the lockout he is third most prolific goalsscorer (or second) with ovechkin and iginla

next year he wants 10 11 mil cap hit. he will not take a hometown discount, and it is normal (unless we make a long walk into the playoffs without winning the cup which is //// maybe possible with him heh)

we would have to give quite a lot, and frankly for 3-4 of kovalchuk, I would do it!!!:yo:
at least we would have great spectale for these 3 to 4 months.
Cammalleri c'est bien mais kovalchuk c'est mieux
18 mil cap hit for the 3 little ones, another 10 mil for kovy 28 mil for 4 crazy good players..

would be nice if they could give one out of that 7 cap hit of gomer to kovy, same for gionta
but what can be done is get rid of mr vegetalien minus the salary of andrei kostitsyn, missin a little salary, wave bergeron, but he already is cheap.. keep the roater to 22 players ?

urgh at least kovy is playing for the habs in my nhl, along with datsyuk and franzen :D

subbanged 11-05-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belso (Post 21969239)
A.Kostitsyn > Armstrong

Chipchura ~ Esposito

Andrei 3.250M
Sergei 0.817M
Chip 0.500M

Laraque to AHL 1.5M

Kovalchuk cap hit 6.4

I love Kovy as much as the next guy, Fact is we wouldn't be able to afford it, weve got markov up for renewal next season and no large contracts coming off the books.

we'd have Gomez, (7.5) cammy (6) gionta (5) Markov would want (7.5 minimum) and if Kovalchuk gets what he wants (10) and Spacek at ( 3.833) we would have to trade Hamirlik to absorb it, that's 40 million for SIX PLAYERS! we wouldn't be able to resign pleks, one of price/ halak, defense would be god awful it can't be done guys with Gomez on the team, if we could trade him then ya maybe but otherwise don't consider it, (Only based on pleks' production lately).

King Woodballs 11-05-2009 07:38 AM

if they traded for Kovalchuk they better get a pair of water wings...
you don't want him to sink in two years when he starts to float around.

subbanged 11-05-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Woodballs (Post 21969447)
if they traded for Kovalchuk they better get a pair of water wings...
you don't want him to sink in two years when he starts to float around.

what are you talking about? Kovalchuk is one of the most dominant players around

Monctonscout 11-05-2009 08:19 AM

Unless we were able to get him signed long term right way, no way I'd trade for Kovalchuk. Imagine trading AK Subban and SK for Kovalchuk and he leaves in July. That would look like a horrible trade. SK would put up 40-45pts and AK 25-30 goals out of the spotlight glare, plus Subban will be a top pair d-man once he polishes his game...this board would be filled with "lynch Gainey" threads.

The problem with signing Kovalchuk is he is looking for 100 mil over 9-10 years, as good as he is that would put us in the TB suck-for -a-decade mold.

The n00b King 11-05-2009 08:21 AM

i recall hearing Kovalchuk saying that he definitely did NOT want to play for a Canadian team.

Just because he's got lots of of good things to say about the team doesnt mean he wants to come play for it.

Besides, i think we'd have more chances landing Ernstrom than Kovalchuk (that would be oh so sweet).

Monctonscout 11-05-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony (Post 21969592)
i recall hearing Kovalchuk saying that he definitely did NOT want to play for a Canadian team.

Just because he's got lots of of good things to say about the team doesnt mean he wants to come play for it.

Besides, i think we'd have more chances landing Ernstrom than Kovalchuk (that would be oh so sweet).

Why would we want Enstrom? He's in the same mold as MAB, good on the PP and bad in his own end.

Habs 4 Life 11-05-2009 09:05 AM

Kovalchuk to Montreal will never happen,we don't have anything they need,they have some good young d's and 2 great young goalies.Offensively we don't have anyone that could help them and the Kostitsyns don't really have much value IMO right now

Habs 4 Life 11-05-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 21969669)
Why would we want Enstrom? He's in the same mold as MAB, good on the PP and bad in his own end.

Not really he probably didn't have is best game of the season on Tuesday but was still a +1 unlike MAB he can actually play 5 on 5 and is averaging 22 minutes per game unlike the 10 by Bergeron.If we could acquire a guy like Enstrom we shouldn't be against it IMO

Canadian_Brewtality 11-05-2009 09:14 AM

talk about stretching something out of nothing

montreal fans:yo: