HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Proposal: Whitney to Columbus...What Would It Take? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=700439)

CBJSprague24 11-05-2009 04:13 PM

Whitney to Columbus...What Would It Take?

Simply put, what would it take to undo Doug MacLean's biggest screw-up & bring Ray back to Columbus?

Here's the discussion on the CBJ board: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=700395

Some of our fans are drooling at the thought of Whitney & Nash on the same line & it seems as though a lot of the conversation on our side involves Huselius, a high pick, and/or possibly Maxim Mayorov.

WhiteTrashAmerican 11-05-2009 04:30 PM

A 1st rounder or a young roster forward...or a mix with prospects.

Think youth

Joe McGrath 11-06-2009 08:30 AM

If it gets closer to the deadline, I wouldn't be shocked if it only took a first rounder and maybe one young player(not NHL ready). It also depends on how serious his current injury is and what kind of impact it will have on him the rest of the season. If he's not 100% CBJ isn't going to pay a high price for a rental.

faulkingdynamic 11-06-2009 08:39 AM

under no circumstances would the deal include Huselius. Id take a long look at Mayorov and Dorsett, assuming my scouts were okay with Mayorov's work ethic in Syracuse

What the Faulk 11-06-2009 10:04 AM

To be honest, if Whitney truly has a NTC/NMC, I could see him refusing to waive it to stay here since he's got his cup and he's moved around so much in his career.

OrioleWay 11-06-2009 10:13 AM

I know this team is very bad and needs some change... but i don't want to move Ray. He belongs to Carolina.

I prefer to see this team sux so much and take #1 or #2 pick than to trade some old dogs and win 20-25 game and take #7 or #8 pick.

faulkingdynamic 11-06-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sam (Post 21990874)
To be honest, if Whitney truly has a NTC/NMC, I could see him refusing to waive it to stay here since he's got his cup and he's moved around so much in his career.

Well thats one of the reasons why Columbus may make more sense than the Montreal whispers since he knows the town. But lets be honest, Ray would be a real d-bag to refuse to waive his NMC despite the fact that he will be a UFA in the summer and isnt promised a new deal here. Besides there is nothing in the CBA that keeps him from playing in a playoffs run for someone else, providing pieces to Carolina, and then signing back in the offseason with a better Carolina team thanks to his waiving of the NMC. I hope Ray handles the situation alot better than Sundin did, refusing to waive his NMC because he didnt want to be a rental and then signing with Vancouver the next season half way thru the year

geehaad 11-06-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerodynamic (Post 21991044)
Ray would be a real d-bag to refuse to waive his NMC despite the fact that he will be a UFA in the summer and isnt promised a new deal here.

I disagree with this 100%. He got an NTC for reason wholly unknown to the general public, and if he chooses to exercise his right of refusal, it's unreasonable to fault him for it. Healthy-minded fathers know that family comes first...I'm not saying that his entire motive, but at the same time I refuse to let anyone discount it as a primary factor.

Let's *really* be honest...you can wish for him to be willing to move all you want, but any expectation on your part is entirely selfish, and to say anything short of that makes him a d-bag is taking it way too far.

faulkingdynamic 11-06-2009 11:24 AM

Whats the difference between playing the last 4 months somewhere else when you are likely going to leave this summer anyways. And if you do love this organization and want to come back then why not help the team out by giving them some assets, playing in a stretch run, and then signing back in the offseason. If this wasnt the last year of an expiring deal then i would agree that he should do whatever he is most comfortable with. And i am a father so im well aware of family coming first. But it is a dbag move to repeatedly say how much you love an organization and then when you have the chance to help their future you tie their hands, when all you had to do was leave for 4 months to play meaningful hockey before becoming a UFA and choosing your own situation.

Doug Weight really helped out the Blues the year he came here. They ended up getting Patrick Berglund and others out of a rental deal and then Doug signed right back with them. Tcachuk has done the same thing for the Blues. That is what guys do when they truly love an organization.

StormCast 11-06-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerodynamic (Post 21991840)
But it is a dbag move to repeatedly say how much you love an organization and then when you have the chance to help their future you tie their hands, when all you had to do was leave for 4 months to play meaningful hockey before becoming a UFA and choosing your own situation.

Doug Weight really helped out the Blues the year he came here. They ended up getting Patrick Berglund and others out of a rental deal and then Doug signed right back with them. Tcachuk has done the same thing for the Blues. That is what guys do when they truly love an organization.

Whitney already helped the future of the franchise by quickly re-signing along with a home town discount after a career year when he got 80+ points while only missing one game. His NMC was part of the reward and well-deserved. It would be far from a d-bag move he opted not to waive it.

Weight left to win a Cup and Whitney has one. That's a huge difference you are overlooking.

Gotta Catch Em Staal 11-06-2009 12:45 PM

My gut feeling is that if the trade deadline comes and there are offers for Whitney, he will waive his NTC for the right team. He is 37, and sure he has won the Cup, but most players will tell you that doesn't make the hunger go away. He is one of the fiercest competitors on our team. I'm not sure how much of an issue the family thing is either. Players are away from their families for half the season anyway on road trips and whatnot, and with retirement on the horizon it doesn't seem out of the question for him to be willing to move somewhere and live out of a hotel or apartment for a few months to have another kick at the can. If he doesn't waive it then that's certainly his right, and I wouldn't crucify him for it (see Mats Sundin), but if this team is still as horrible then as it is now I could easily see Ray enjoying the chance to escape from it for a brief time and play for a contender.

daikan 11-06-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geehaad (Post 21991595)
I disagree with this 100%. He got an NTC for reason wholly unknown to the general public, and if he chooses to exercise his right of refusal, it's unreasonable to fault him for it. Healthy-minded fathers know that family comes first...I'm not saying that his entire motive, but at the same time I refuse to let anyone discount it as a primary factor.

Let's *really* be honest...you can wish for him to be willing to move all you want, but any expectation on your part is entirely selfish, and to say anything short of that makes him a d-bag is taking it way too far.

Yeah I never got that either. You can't fault a player for using their NTC if they have one, just like you can't fault them for not taking hometown discounts. If anything, blame JR for giving it to him in the first place. You can't expect the players to bail out the GMs in those situations.

CBJSprague24 11-06-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerodynamic (Post 21991044)
Well thats one of the reasons why Columbus may make more sense than the Montreal whispers since he knows the town.

But lets be honest, Ray would be a real d-bag to refuse to waive his NMC despite the fact that he will be a UFA in the summer and isnt promised a new deal here.

Whitney knowing the town was one reason why we brought this up. Supposedly he put in a few good words that helped sell Commie on signing with Columbus.

Be careful what you wish for on the NTC. Columbus knows all about that...we had a certain Dbag soon-to-be UFA Captain that refused to waive his NTC except for one team & the end result wasn't pretty. The difference is he was being offered a new deal with us & squabbled over $500k in the hopes of smelling the Rocky Mountain air again.

(The team he went to still thinks he's one of the classiest guys in the league.)

DaveG 11-06-2009 10:08 PM

And you guys still ended up with a first round pick for said dbag.

That said i lost ALL respect for the guy when he pulled that **** there. If he ever gets elected to the Hall, like some think he should, I think I would vomit.

CBJSprague24 11-07-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 22002207)
And you guys still ended up with a first round pick for said dbag.

Trading that pick for RJ Umberger & seeing the weapon he's become with the CBJ took even more of the sting out of it.