HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Prospect Info: E(4) JVR to Team USA (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=701519)

SeanL44 11-08-2009 03:01 PM

E(4) JVR to Team USA

Just saw this post on hockeybuzz, thought it might deserve it's own discussion... I know it's eklund, I'm not posting because I think he's right, I'm posting because I think it's an interesting thing to discuss.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Biron/1/24159

Cleary84 11-08-2009 03:03 PM

I could see this happening. Throw him on the 3rd or 4th line.

L-train* 11-08-2009 03:25 PM

Oh god dammit. I want him to rest during the Olympics. The kid has never even had to play more than 43 games in a season, let alone an NHL preseason, regular season, and playoffs.

IrishSniper87 11-08-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-train (Post 22027311)
Oh god dammit. I want him to rest during the Olympics. The kid has never even had to play more than 43 games in a season, let alone an NHL preseason, regular season, and playoffs.

I agree with you here.

I feel we will see JVR in and out of the lineup with little injuries here and there as he adjusts to the rigors of the NHL season.

He is getting knocked around A LOT and seems to always have something wrong with him. Not really a big deal, because he is a young player who is not used to how strenuous an NHL season is.

CptCannon 11-08-2009 03:50 PM

Hoping he doesn't made to the Team USA...

a) One less threat for Finns

b) Guy gets to rest and be fresh come post-season

Would be hellafun experience for him to play with the best in the Olympics, though.

GKJ 11-08-2009 03:56 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing it, the experience at such a high level, with high-intensity would be nice for him. However, his durability may come into question.

As far as getting pushed around, it happens, and he's been able to hold guys off. I quiver when I think about how strong he could be with that body.

ilovetheflyers8 11-08-2009 03:57 PM

Though I kind of would like him on the team, at the same time its probably better for the Flyers if he's not. Pronger, Mike Richards, and Timonen are all very likely to be on their respective teams and Carter may also be in it too, and there is a slim chance of Gagne. Oh, and Pyorala was invited to the Finnish teams try out/camp as well, though Pyorala does not play as many minutes as the others so it might not be as big a deal in terms of him getting worn out.

kicksave27 11-08-2009 04:16 PM

The olympics screw the flyers every time, gagne got hurt and turned out longterm because if it already. Let the college kids play, like the WJC, they are still good games.

RIPRichardsCarter 11-08-2009 04:19 PM

I wish the Olympics were in the offseason.

Jim Schennson 11-08-2009 04:19 PM

While I completely get, and somewhat agree, that it would be better for JVR to get the rest over the Olympic break, I would love to see him get to participate in such a once in a lifetime type event. If the NHL stays in the Olympics, there's little doubt that he'd be playing in the next games in Russia, but the fact that this year's tournament is in Canada takes the excitement for the games and the experience up a few notches. Hockey's going to be the spotlight sport at these games, and that would be awesome to see him be a part of that. You Canadians are, most likely, going to get to root for at least Pronger and Richards for Team Canada, so it would be nice for the Americans to get to root for JVR on our team.

Brodeur 11-08-2009 04:19 PM

Team USA certainly could use a scoring forward with some size. Dean Lombardi seems to have plenty of connections with the Flyers still and he's seemingly the #2 behind Burke in terms of decision making. But yeah, I definitely see why you guys would want JVR to relax since it is his first year with a pro schedule.

Juicy Couturier* 11-08-2009 04:30 PM

I would rather not have the kid play more games. He could already be looking at over 100 games this season. Cut him and make him even more hungry.

Haute Couturier 11-08-2009 04:35 PM

Tim Panaccio's column made it sound like JVR to the Olympics is a long shot.

Dig Out Your Soul 11-08-2009 04:47 PM

He's playing well enough to earn some consideration, but I definitely worry about his durability.

Giroux tha Damaja 11-08-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 22027728)
I quiver when I think about how strong he could be with that body.

:( . . . pause . . . . . . .

alright.

Anyway, if we look at his injuries, they can happen to anyone in my opinion. You can't work out to make the inside of your cranium softer. Even strong guys get their bell rung when they hit their heads. And the broken pinky off of a shot is just bad luck; again not necessarily indicative of a lack of durability.

Miss Mess 11-08-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am The Mush (Post 22029539)
:( . . . pause . . . . . . .

alright.

:laugh::laugh:

IrishSniper87 11-08-2009 09:13 PM

I hate this thread because it REFUSES to get marked "read". It keeps showing up in bold!

haha

PhilaFlyers 11-08-2009 09:25 PM

I'd like this. It gives me more of a reason to root for team USA. Also does Carle have a shot at the team?

BillyShoe1721 11-08-2009 10:15 PM

I don't think he'll make it. He's got Parise, Brown, Malone, Booth, Kane, Ryan, Wheeler, Gionta, and Langenbrunner to compete with on the wings. If I was Burke, his spot would logically be on the 4th line, and it would make more sense to have a defensive, energy 4th line than put JVR in there who would likely struggle at defending the best in the world.