HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Carrots: The perfect pre-game vegetable? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=701565)

Pierre Gotye 11-08-2009 05:02 PM

Carrots: The perfect pre-game vegetable?

Serious fellas

Carrots are the near-perfect pre-game Hockey vegetable. Beta carotene for vision, Vitamin E for muscles, and some B vitamins, magensium and such for energy. Time for another pre-meal appetizer.:yo:

K-PAX* 11-08-2009 05:07 PM

I prefer speedballs.

Christina Woloski 11-08-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 (Post 22029318)
Serious fellas

Carrots are the near-perfect pre-game Hockey vegetable. Beta carotene for vision, Vitamin E for muscles, and some B vitamins, magnesium and such for energy. Time for another pre-meal appetizer.:yo:

Aren't carrots one of the only veggies that provide more nutrients after being cooked ?

A pile of brown sugar and butter cooked in a saucepan.. Mmmm. If you haven't tried it, do it... ..do it...

Backstrom #19 11-08-2009 05:29 PM

Animal crackers.

Frankie Spankie 11-08-2009 05:49 PM

This should be turned into a "what do you eat before every game?" thread. :P

I'm not a big fan of vegetables unfortunately. I always do eat a banana before every game though.

adaminnj 11-08-2009 06:08 PM

how do you get the most from Carrots? *Snicker*Snicker*
Way to low of a fruit to pick in public.

BadHammy* 11-09-2009 04:47 AM

My plan often goes like this- large meal 5 hours before game, small fruit/veggy snack 2-3 hours before game. It's the best system I've ever found...

MrRuin 11-09-2009 06:31 AM

What does one snowman say to another?

Jarick 11-09-2009 09:28 AM

I don't think energy when I think magnesium...I actually take mag supplements to keep my anxiety under control. It's a pretty sugary vegetable too...

But yeah, that falls under "what do you eat before games", and for me, it's a little bit of protein a few hours beforehand (PG meals this weekend were chicken nuggets on Sat and a 4 oz steak on Sun). My body and carbs don't get along well at all, they cause me to crash and burn and blow up like a balloon.

blueberrydanish 11-09-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazzucco (Post 22029498)
Aren't carrots one of the only veggies that provide more nutrients after being cooked ?

A pile of brown sugar and butter cooked in a saucepan.. Mmmm. If you haven't tried it, do it... ..do it...

Too bad its one of the grossest veggies when cooked....atleast to me. Many meals as a child being forced to eat cooked carrots.....*shudders*

Placebo Effect 11-09-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueberrydanish (Post 22036978)
Too bad its one of the grossest veggies when cooked....atleast to me. Many meals as a child being forced to eat cooked carrots.....*shudders*

I'm like that too. I'll eat raw carrots like candy but when cooked I just don't touch.

WhipNash27 11-09-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One95 (Post 22039176)
I'm like that too. I'll eat raw carrots like candy but when cooked I just don't touch.

same here. I HATE cooked carrots but love them raw. Bleh.

noobman 11-09-2009 11:10 PM

I just eat normally before games. I might go a little carb heavy for lunch, but otherwise I don't sweat it too much.

Recently I've been on a vegan diet. It's not that I don't want to eat meat... it's that for some reason, the sight of meat and dairy products make me nauseous (I think my flu is trying to starve me to death).

Does anybody know of a good way to maintain an athlete's diet while going vegan? I did a Google search and noticed that Laraque recently went vegan, but I haven't seen any other instances.

CanadaBacon 11-10-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krejci46 (Post 22029878)
This should be turned into a "what do you eat before every game?" thread. :P

I'm not a big fan of vegetables unfortunately. I always do eat a banana before every game though.

If i know i am playing, i usually have pasta with a bit of chicken or those little breakfast sausages.

I always have a banana and a handful of walnuts/peanuts/pistacchios (spl?) in the dressing room before a game too.