HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Pronger named Nastiest Defensemen by HockeyNews Nov. 16th issue (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=703276)

PhillyFan4Ever 11-13-2009 06:31 PM

Pronger named Nastiest Defensemen by HockeyNews Nov. 16th issue

Link: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...efenseman.html

Quote:

Flyers' Pronger named No. 1 'nastiest' defenseman
By FRANK SERAVALLI
Philadelphia Daily News

seravaf@phillynews.com

CHRIS PRONGER isn't shy.

Known as an in-your-face player, Pronger may be in your face in other ways soon. He will be featured in an upcoming Pepsi Max advertisement with Mike Richards in Maxim magazine.

This week, Pronger was featured in a different magazine. His face was plastered on the cover of the The Hockey News' Nov. 16 issue, which focuses on the NHL's best defensemen.

In the cover story, the News' panel of experts selected Pronger as the league's No. 1 "nastiest and most intimidating" defenseman, edging out Calgary's Dion Phaneuf. But that wasn't the only category that Pronger won. He also was listed as the "best corner man," for winning puck battles along the boards. Pronger also figured in the discussion for "best shutdown defender," "best first passer," and honorable mention for "best point shot."

On "Daily News Live" on Comcast SportsNet, Pronger said he takes pride in being part of those rankings.

So far, Pronger has lived up to the hefty billing that accompanied his arrival from Anaheim in an offseason trade. Pronger has a plus-12 rating in 15 games and paces the Flyers in blocked shots (42) while playing a league-high 27:37 per game. He also has provided an offensive spark. Last night, Pronger contributed another assist and is second in team scoring with 16 points in 15 games.

Also in the rankings were Braydon Coburn (honorable mention for best skating defenseman) and Kimmo Timonen (best small defenseman).

Vikke 11-13-2009 06:43 PM

Pronger, very early in to the season though, has to be the front runner for the Norris, right? Kaberle might be in the mix as well as Boyle, but the usual suspects aren't really there this year. Lidas, Chara, Nieds?

bumperkisser 11-13-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikke (Post 22107235)
Pronger, very early in to the season though, has to be the front runner for the Norris, right? Kaberle might be in the mix as well as Boyle, but the usual suspects aren't really there this year. Lidas, Chara, Nieds?

Definitely NOT nieds... started out the season like it was training camp.. tried a couple of our games.. but overall just doesnt give a ****, much like getzlaf...

CantSeeColors 11-14-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

I don't see enough of the other guys to say one way or the other, but my god Pronger has been incredible. I knew he was good, but it took seeing him play every night to realize just how much of an impact he has. I thought Timonen was good - top 15 in the NHL or so - but Pronger is just miles ahead of him. It just makes me jaw drop.

Richyrich 11-14-2009 12:16 AM

I want to know who the nicest defenseman is.

I bet it's Scott Niedermeyer. He has kind eyes

nevermore 11-14-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I'd say those three should be the front runners as per now.
Mike Green with only 2 goals in 17 games so far (13 assists, though) so there's another one who seems to be underachieving.

dookie88 11-14-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richyrich (Post 22113252)
I want to know who the nicest defenseman is.

I bet it's Scott Niedermeyer. He has kind eyes

Derian Hatcher is probably the runner up for the D-man with the nicest skin.
:D

At topic, i saw the Sens game a few hours ago on tsn-demand.
And not having seen much of the flyers this season, it's just mind-boggling how good #20 in orange was.
He's just so calm and good with the puck, i honestly havent seen a defender dishing out the first pass like he does. Even the play on Powe's goal, were he banked it off the boards on a very long pass to Asham or Pyo, amazing.

Pierrot 11-14-2009 12:46 PM

when he'll blow crosby's face, i will be the happiest man in the world
Let's Hope , he put a huge hit soon

mm6492 11-14-2009 01:03 PM

Cool to see Kimmo and Braydon also got some credit. I might buy this issue.

BringBackStevens 11-14-2009 01:06 PM

Pronger has been nothing short of fantastic. He is the best player on this team hands down. I've wanted him on this team for a long, long time and he has not dissapointed

GoneFullHextall 11-14-2009 01:10 PM

dont think I can add anything that hasnt been said already. He makes other players around him better. Matt Carle leads the league in plus/minus for God sakes.

Jim Schennson 11-14-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierrot (Post 22116999)
when he'll blow crosby's face, i will be the happiest man in the world
Let's Hope , he put a huge hit soon

I recognize the language barrier, but that's just wrong!

mm6492 11-14-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk (Post 22119838)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I didn't even pick up on that when i read through.

RoDu 11-14-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

:laugh:

Opus 11-14-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

He must have Pronger confused with Alexander Semin?

CantSeeColors 11-14-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opus (Post 22123892)
He must have Pronger confused with Alexander Semin?

I know Ovechkin Laichs Semin, but I had no idea Crosby does too!

Jim Schennson 11-14-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantSeeColors (Post 22127727)
I know Ovechkin Laichs Semin, but I had no idea Crosby does too!

Of course, Crosby Laichs Semen Varlamov too.

Kambo 11-16-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

:laugh: I have tears in my eyes right now. I noticed that right away.