HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Martin Lapointe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=70399)

Fern 04-13-2004 04:46 PM

Martin Lapointe
 
He is the guy I hate the most in the entire league. He is a dirty player that cannot play with the puck. The entire Ribeiro thing started in major part because of him. Lapointe is the guy Ribeiro laughed at. Since the beginning of the series, all the Bruins players including Lapointe are all over Ribeiro. Mike plays well since the beginning of this series, he even hits... I really think that the Bruins are trying to motivate themselves with this story. They try to make things going because they know that if we had flipped both goalies, Montreal would lead the series 2-1 maybe 3-0. Hopefully Josť will start playing like he can and we'll have a chance to laugh in the face of Lapointe and all the other Bruins poor babies like Thornton, Rolston and McGillis.

Mooch 04-13-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
He is the guy I hate the most in the entire league. He is a dirty player that cannot play with the puck. The entire Ribeiro thing started in major part because of him. Lapointe is the guy Ribeiro laughed at. Since the beginning of the series, all the Bruins players including Lapointe are all over Ribeiro. Mike plays well since the beginning of this series, he even hits... I really think that the Bruins are trying to motivate themselves with this story. They try to make things going because they know that if we had flipped both goalies, Montreal would lead the series 2-1 maybe 3-0. Hopefully Josť will start playing like he can and we'll have a chance to laugh in the face of Lapointe and all the other Bruins poor babies like Thornton, Rolston and McGillis.

I dont find Lapoint to be dirty at all :dunno:

I would love to have this guys. He is over paid right now, but what an asset he would be to have!

Guy Caballero 04-13-2004 04:51 PM

Marty could play for my team ANY DAY.

Habs 04-13-2004 04:56 PM

What does Marty have.. 2 cups? I'd take him on my team.

I'd throw Dagenais, Dackell, and Juneau into oncoming traffic to clear a roster spot.

Haddock 04-13-2004 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Marty could play for my team ANY DAY.

On mine too...for less than five freakin' millions!

EaGLE1 04-13-2004 05:56 PM

He's a good player, but you hate him when he play against you. We would love to have him on our 3rd line and in front of the net on the PP!

Fern 04-13-2004 05:57 PM

Not on mine
 
I would take a guy like Matt Cooke or even Darcy Tucker before this guy. Atleast both can score. And Lapointe wouldn't be a big improvement on Ward. He has two cups, so what. Donald Dufresne has a cup too, so has David Maley. Lapointe is overpaied and outplayed by a lot of guys and the fact that he often goes after smaller players or finess players like Brisebois or Ribeiro makes me hate him. I would love to see Langdon against him but he would never do that. Lapointe is now at the same point that Rivet is, they both think that they can't drop the gloves because they are too important for the team which is wrong.

CrAzYNiNe 04-13-2004 06:37 PM

Lapointe is the has Holik syndrome. Holik is good, but WAY over payed.

HCH 04-14-2004 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
I dont find Lapoint to be dirty at all :dunno:

I would love to have this guys. He is over paid right now, but what an asset he would be to have!

He tried to cross-check Ribeiro in that scrum at the net when both he and Green took penalties.

The guy always has his elbows or stick in someone's face... sorta like Joe Thornton but with less talent.

nikrag03* 04-14-2004 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs
What does Marty have.. 2 cups? I'd take him on my team.

I'd throw Dagenais, Dackell, and Juneau into oncoming traffic to clear a roster spot.

Yeah take that 5 million dollar contract too cause he's sure worth it :joker:

THORNTON19 04-14-2004 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
He is the guy I hate the most in the entire league. He is a dirty player that cannot play with the puck. The entire Ribeiro thing started in major part because of him. Lapointe is the guy Ribeiro laughed at. Since the beginning of the series, all the Bruins players including Lapointe are all over Ribeiro. Mike plays well since the beginning of this series, he even hits... I really think that the Bruins are trying to motivate themselves with this story. They try to make things going because they know that if we had flipped both goalies, Montreal would lead the series 2-1 maybe 3-0. Hopefully Josť will start playing like he can and we'll have a chance to laugh in the face of Lapointe and all the other Bruins poor babies like Thornton, Rolston and McGillis.

Enlighten us as to what you base your "Lapointe is dirty" argument on.

trenton1 04-14-2004 01:38 AM

I can't even tell you how much I hated Marty Lapointe when he was on the Wings. But I would have never said he played cheap. He was effective at getting in people's faces and causing pain and problems. When he does it for your team you aprreciate it. I was angry with Steve Begin in games 1-3 but that's mostly because of how effective he is, I would put him on my 4th line for sure. Lapointe is overpaid but that's irrelevant to this particular argument.

mcphee 04-14-2004 06:50 AM

If you're a GM and you don't want Lapointe on your checking line, then my team will beat your team. His contract has nothing to do with his style of play. He can create havoc at both ends of the ice, keeps his game simple, and agitates right at the edge of the rules. As far as his contract goes, wasn't his contract a matter of Jacobs giving the finger to the Detroit owner.[Pizza guy whose name escapes me right now]. The story which I thought was common knowledge was that Jacobs was pissed at the effect that the money Detroit was spending was having on salaries , so he told O'Connell to do whatever it takes to sign Lapointe, just to show up the Wings. Lapointe had a good offer to come to Mtl. and was expected to sign here. The Habs lost him when Boston decided to make a point. Anyways that's the way I heard it.

IcE ColD 04-14-2004 07:11 AM

Funny to see that each time we do the playoffs, there's always a player that vast majority of fans hate on the other team when we're losing the serie. Two years ago, it was Cole, this year it's Lapointe...

I'd take Lapointe all the way, even with the big salary.. this guy has grit and leadership. Maybe some of his checks are dirty, but be serious, who doesn't hit dirty in the playoffs?

5 millions is not too pricy for this kind of guy... (or maybe just a little).

I'm sure that all the people saying they hate him would have loved him if he were a Habs...

BINGO 04-14-2004 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
He tried to cross-check Ribeiro in that scrum at the net when both he and Green took penalties.

The guy always has his elbows or stick in someone's face... sorta like Joe Thornton but with less talent.


Come on.....Ribs tried to punch Lapoint. HOMER

jokerboysmith 04-14-2004 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
He is the guy I hate the most in the entire league. He is a dirty player that cannot play with the puck. The entire Ribeiro thing started in major part because of him. Lapointe is the guy Ribeiro laughed at. Since the beginning of the series, all the Bruins players including Lapointe are all over Ribeiro. Mike plays well since the beginning of this series, he even hits... I really think that the Bruins are trying to motivate themselves with this story. They try to make things going because they know that if we had flipped both goalies, Montreal would lead the series 2-1 maybe 3-0. Hopefully Josť will start playing like he can and we'll have a chance to laugh in the face of Lapointe and all the other Bruins poor babies like Thornton, Rolston and McGillis.

He is a prototype french canadian.

Blind Gardien 04-14-2004 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
I dont find Lapoint to be dirty at all :dunno:

I would love to have this guys. He is over paid right now, but what an asset he would be to have!

Agreed.

For my money, if you have to call somebody on Boston dirty, then I would bestow the label on Joe Thornton or Travis Green. Although they're not reeally reeally bad either.

ajs 04-14-2004 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
He tried to cross-check Ribeiro in that scrum at the net when both he and Green took penalties.

Maybe you were blinking when Rebeiro took a swing at Lapointe, it's alright, we all saw it.

Histrion 04-14-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokerboysmith
He is a prototype french canadian.

Yeah, right.. And you're a prototypique consanguineous western redneck. :shakehead

Gotta love mindless stereotypes, eh..

MentalPowerHouse 04-14-2004 01:38 PM

Any team in the league would like him. He's is overpaid, but diss Boston Management for that not him.

blurbruin 04-14-2004 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs
Maybe you were blinking when Rebeiro took a swing at Lapointe, it's alright, we all saw it.

In addition, Ribeiro took a swipe while another player was holding lapointe. Maybe some people think Lapointe is dirty, and trash talks, well at least he's willing to drop 'em to back up his trash talking.

davey999 04-14-2004 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blurbruin
In addition, Ribeiro took a swipe while another player was holding lapointe. Maybe some people think Lapointe is dirty, and trash talks, well at least he's willing to drop 'em to back up his trash talking.

He didn't look too interested in "dropping them" with Langdon at the start of game 3.

Fern 04-16-2004 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
If you're a GM and you don't want Lapointe on your checking line, then my team will beat your team. His contract has nothing to do with his style of play. He can create havoc at both ends of the ice, keeps his game simple, and agitates right at the edge of the rules. As far as his contract goes, wasn't his contract a matter of Jacobs giving the finger to the Detroit owner.[Pizza guy whose name escapes me right now]. The story which I thought was common knowledge was that Jacobs was pissed at the effect that the money Detroit was spending was having on salaries , so he told O'Connell to do whatever it takes to sign Lapointe, just to show up the Wings. Lapointe had a good offer to come to Mtl. and was expected to sign here. The Habs lost him when Boston decided to make a point. Anyways that's the way I heard it.

This series alone could prove you're wrong. Montreal has no Martin Lapointe on the checking line and if we had Raycroft in net and Theo would be a Bruins this series would be over. Begin is hitting everything on the ice not only smaller players. Lapointe is always on smaller players like Koivu, Ribeiro or the 6'5'' 120 lbs Pierre Dagenais that's why I hate him. I could give you tons of cheaper players that could do the job better than Lapointe. Yeah he has 2 cups but what did the Bruins in playoffs with him in the lineup?

CHareth 04-16-2004 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
This series alone could prove you're wrong. Montreal has no Martin Lapointe on the checking line and if we had Raycroft in net and Theo would be a Bruins this series would be over. Begin is hitting everything on the ice not only smaller players. Lapointe is always on smaller players like Koivu, Ribeiro or the 6'5'' 120 lbs Pierre Dagenais that's why I hate him. I could give you tons of cheaper players that could do the job better than Lapointe. Yeah he has 2 cups but what did the Bruins in playoffs with him in the lineup?

So it's Lapointe's fault that the players he is told to check by his coach just happen to be smaller than him? Seems like a pretty silly reason to hate a player. I'm sure if Montreal had Joe Thornton or Todd Bertuzzi, Lapointe would be told to check those guys too. Likewise, if we had Lapointe, I'm sure he would be told to get the likes of Thornton and Samsonov alike.

Fern 04-16-2004 12:46 AM

A stupid GM gave him the contract that he has so this part is not his fault. That's the way he plays that I don't like. When you hit a guy from behind like Lapointe did against Ribeiro with only one goal, to hurt the guy I say it's dirty and I don't like it. You like Lapointe, that's ok but I'm very glad we did not threw or money away on a guy like this even if Savard did some other mistakes. Begin is cheaper, Ward is cheaper and we even had a guy like Bill Lindsay who did the same job Lapointe does for less money. I'm sure the Bruins think they made a better investment with Travis Green. And I really hope that to compare Cole and Lapointe was just because both guys are players that we hate to play against because Lapointe is not the half of a player Cole was against us in 2002.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.