HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Sun: Bidding War For The Monster This Summer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=703994)

cupcrazyman 11-15-2009 07:45 PM

Bidding War For The Monster This Summer

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/hockey...49571-sun.html

Brian Burke could have a Monster issue on his hands next summer.

The Maple Leafs GM has to wait until January before he can hold talks on a contract extension for rookie goalie Jonas “The Monster” Gustavsson, but he might want to get the framework in place, because if Burke is going to live by the sword, he had better be prepared to die by it, too. :amazed:

Zardoz 11-15-2009 07:47 PM

match any offer, and if it's equivalent to 4 1st round picks, take the picks and let him walk.

I don't really see the issue here.

darty 11-15-2009 07:48 PM

I'm sure the monster chose the leafs for a reason and wouldn't want to uproot his life two years in a row. Would take a huge offer from another team before Gusto goes anywhere.

HariKari 11-15-2009 07:50 PM

Money talks, even if Gustavsson does want to play here. I'm sure Burke will have him signed before it gets to that point though.

LeafsGuru93 11-15-2009 07:52 PM

I hope Burke sign Gustavsson to an extension come Jan for 5 years, so we can be at ease.

Get'er done Burke!! :yo:

Muskoka5Ghosts* 11-15-2009 07:54 PM

pffft! The Monster is old newz.

Toskala's the man now dawg!

:sarcasm:

MajorityRules 11-15-2009 07:56 PM

I would hope that Burke does wait until at least Jan before offering up a contract. I'd prefer a bigger sample size to draw my conclusions on what he's worth.

Muskoka5Ghosts* 11-15-2009 08:01 PM

we need user panic button in this thread. ^yeah what they said.

EazyB97 11-15-2009 08:04 PM

So the article basically says that teams might overpay Burke in an attempt to get back at him? Doesn't seem so bad to me. We either match, or we take the picks. Balls in our court, with our cap space.

Stephen 11-15-2009 08:11 PM

A) I fail to see why someone would throw money away on a rookie goalie to the tune of $5 million to stick it to Burke, since these are real world dollars and not a rotisserie league, and B) the beauty of RFA is we get compensation to the tune of multiple picks. Monster isn't that proven, and getting a boatload of picks back for a UFA European signing isn't exactly the end of the world...

gabeliscious 11-15-2009 08:27 PM

as much as i believe the monster is the answer for us long term if a team offered a 1st 2nd 3rd or better i think burke would seriously consider it. i also cant see someone throwing him an offer sheet. they are very rare and there are some seriously awsome rfa this summer. i would sooner throw $5 mill at toews/kane/semin then the monster

Mike1 11-15-2009 08:29 PM

I doubt it. Most of the teams in the league have good goaltending situations. I hope Burke doesn't buy into this crap & jump the gun.

Nikolai Khabibulin who is a proven starting goalie that has won a Stanley Cup, got just 3.75 per year on his deal. Martin Biron who was a starter for the Flyers got just 1.4 million. The Leafs made that mistake with Toskala, who had been in the league longer & gave him a big deal which he has never lived up too. We don't need to do that again.

If Gustavsson plays well for the rest of the year it would still only be 1 good season. Many goalies have had 1 good year & never reached that level of play again. We should learn from the past & be cautious that we still don't know what we truly have with him.

Leaf me alone 11-15-2009 08:32 PM

Sure, there'll be a bidding war. In the 1 - 2.5 million range. Ooohhh...ahhhh. :laugh:

StarBurns RIP 11-15-2009 08:35 PM

This is a complete non-issue. If he deserves the offer he receives, you match it. If it's too much, you take the the money and run.

Worse case scenario: Gustavsson struggles but continues to show great raw potential and yet an NHL club offers him a big contract. Only then could Burke be conflicted about giving a big raise to an unknown future commodity.

One further thought: it depends on which team is giving up the draft picks.

tzinc 11-15-2009 08:39 PM

it will go like always if monster is great he won't sign with leafs he will pick a winner if monster sucks he will be overpaid by the leafs - this team keeps making the same mistakes :(

cupcrazyman 11-15-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf me alone (Post 22144506)
Sure, there'll be a bidding war. In the 1 - 2.5 million range. Ooohhh...ahhhh. :laugh:

Compensation

If the original team declines the offer sheet and loses the player, it receives draft picks from the player’s new team as compensation.

Compensatory draft picks are determined by the player’s new salary, on a sliding scale.

For example:

- In 2008 a team signing a restricted free agent to a salary averaging $2,615,625 to $3,923,437 per season will lose a first-round draft pick and a third-round draft pick to the player’s old team.

- Signing a restricted free agent to a contract worth over $6,539,062 per year costs a team four first-round draft picks.

StarBurns RIP 11-15-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzinc (Post 22144604)
it will go like always if monster is great he won't sign with leafs he will pick a winner if monster sucks he will be overpaid by the leafs - this team keeps making the same mistakes :(

First thing, that hasn't happened to the Leafs since Gary Nylund in the 1980's, when Chicago did the Leafs a favour by taking that stiff.

Second thing, nothing has happened and you're acting like it has.

smoke meat pete* 11-15-2009 09:06 PM

RFA offer sheets are rare. Nothing here to worry about.

gabeliscious 11-15-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynrehab (Post 22144932)
RFA offer sheets are rare. Nothing here to worry about.

this ^^^^

johnny_rudeboy 11-15-2009 09:26 PM

Burke convinced him to sign for the Leafs cause he was in the long term plans. Allaire was a huge reason for Gus signing to. He wanted to sign in a hockey city. I dont see any of those things have changed so why would he want to move?

HellasLEAF 11-15-2009 09:28 PM

slow news day for the sun?

obviously he signs...

My Sweet Shadow 11-15-2009 09:35 PM

I honestly don't see any problem here. If Gus continues to play well by January and the team turns it around, contract talks should get done pretty easily. If theres a Phil Kessel situation, Id say it still favours the Leafs. Well have enough cap space come July 1st that we can match whatever anyone offers. Burke can just decide whether the offer sheet return outways resigning the Monster.

Muskoka5Ghosts* 11-15-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EazyB97 (Post 22144127)
So the article basically says that teams might overpay Burke in an attempt to get back at him? Doesn't seem so bad to me. We either match, or we take the picks. Balls in our court, with our cap space.

i agree with this post.

Paris in Flames 11-15-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcrazyman (Post 22143851)
http://www.lfpress.com/sports/hockey...49571-sun.html

Brian Burke could have a Monster issue on his hands next summer.

The Maple Leafs GM has to wait until January before he can hold talks on a contract extension for rookie goalie Jonas “The Monster” Gustavsson, but he might want to get the framework in place, because if Burke is going to live by the sword, he had better be prepared to die by it, too. :amazed:

What sword though? Burke paid more than he needed to just to avoid the offer sheet. What is this jibberish?

My Sweet Shadow 11-15-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paris in Flames (Post 22145946)
What sword though? Burke paid more than he needed to just to avoid the offer sheet. What is this jibberish?

Yeah, I don't really understand that comment. Burke may have used the possibility of an offer sheet as leverage, but he still gave Chiarelli a better deal than he would have got from an offer sheet. And it might not have even been a Toronto offer sheet; Nashville was willing to give up more than Toronto for Kessel, they just couldn't match signing bonuses. Not to mention quite a few other teams who probably were at the gates considering the Bruins situation.