HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Rumor: Per Twitter: Jones on the block (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=704299)

barrytrotzsneck 11-16-2009 08:13 PM

Per Twitter: Jones on the block

courtesy of Forechecker. Not really surprising, he looked completely out of his element in Nashville this year for some reason, and isn't doing so hot in Milwaukee either. He's been passed on the depth chart by Thuresson, O'Reilly and Santorelli(and probably even Scatchard), so the options seem to be trade him or pay him NHL money to play in the minors all year.

Hopefully we can get a pick for him at this point...kind of makes the Zidlicky trade sting a bit, especially after it looked like it might be turning out okay in his better days.

predfan24 11-16-2009 08:28 PM

I don't think he could fetch much of anything. It does suck because he did show a lot of promise he just seemed to be stuck in that neutral area between not being good enough for a Top 6 spot and not really being a grinder. Of course I said the same thing about Peverly as well. I could see with the right team and the right situation he could possibly be successful. Here's hoping something happens and he finds a way to make it work here.

Paranoid Android 11-16-2009 08:36 PM

Totally forgot he was on a 1-way contract. Yeah, something needs to be done with him.

Just saw he's doing nothing, stat-wise, in Milwaukee either. 1 point in 8 games. Worst +/- on the team. Worst shooting percentage.

Very disappointing. I thought he would turn into a poor man's Hartnell.

DoctorDoak 11-16-2009 09:04 PM

What happened here? He seemed like he got off to a decent start to his pro career last year. Is it bad attitude, icetime, a combination of things?

MemphisMTLfan 11-16-2009 09:30 PM

This upsets me.

jstreet 11-16-2009 09:31 PM

what realistically do you guys think we could get for him at this point?

Seth Lake 11-17-2009 03:56 AM

Unfortunately, Jones has not found success yet at translating his game from the amateur (NCAA) level to the professional (AHL/NHL) level with any consistency. Judging mainly by my observations throughout last season, it is due to a lack of refined fundamental skills.

I recall watching at the end of a practice around mid-season Jones and Belak working on tips/deflections at the far end of the ice. Belak started the drill as the shooter and gave Jones about 20 quality slap-shots to deflect and Jones demonstrated some pretty good hand-eye coordination. Then they switched and Jones went out to the top of the circles and unleashed three shots before Belak stopped Jones out of fear for his well-being. Jones sent the first shot about head high about five-feet to the left of Belak, the second shot was a little lower but about five-feet to the right of Belak this time, and the final shot came straight at Beeler about waist high with Wade bailing out of the way at the last second.

Jones has some skills that could be packaged together to carve out a nice NHL career, but it is going to take more refining of those skills and more importantly some improvement on his weaknesses before Ryan can find a way to be consistent on an night-to-night basis (which is in fact the thing that separates an AHL-lifer from an NHL player).

In fairness to Jones, I do think he was rushed to the NHL last season and still doesn't have enough development time at the professional level, but...he did play four years in the NCAA and now has a full-season of professional experience under his belt. The fact that he did not come to camp this fall showing any signs of improvement does fall squarely on the shoulders of only one person...Ryan Jones.

worstfaceoffmanever 11-17-2009 05:10 AM

Unsurprising. Jones has been struggling mightily at the AHL level since he got sent down.

Jarnberg 11-17-2009 08:04 AM

After the Zidlicky trade, our homers were hyping Jones up to be the second coming. And yet people thought he deserved a one-way this year.

quartermaster29 11-17-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 22166402)
After the Zidlicky trade, our homers were hyping Jones up to be the second coming. And yet people thought he deserved a one-way this year.

"Hyping" up or "Hoping" up?

I don't think anyone worth reading said he was for sure the second coming. Most of the stuff I recall reading was about "potential".

As for deserving, yeah, I don't see that he deserved anything more than he got the season before.

BigFatCat999 11-17-2009 09:41 AM

Truth be told, Nashville is starting to pile up powerforwards. Ward, Wilson, Arnott (Kinda), Legwand (Kinda), Budish, ETC. Jones has become in effective and redundant.

OpenWheel 11-17-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

After the Zidlicky trade, our homers were hyping Jones up to be the second coming.

You're just making that up.

I know I said the trade may be ok, if Jones became what Poile claimed he could be. And since he had good NCAA credentials I was hopeful. I didn't see any more hype then that. Some of us also said, what do you expect as a return for Zids when every team in the league knew we were going to trade him? Still, there was a lot of complaining on the return from "homers", not all praise. I also said I was sure he'd make the team out of camp last year. And was right. We had nothing, and with Poile's comments it seemed he was going to get his shot. Didn't last long though...

And you grumble almost as if you expect what is said on message boards effects Poile's decisions?

The one-way contract thing is disappointing. We didn't overpay for a guy who makes the team. But ya gotta make the team!

Preds Partisan 11-17-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorDoak (Post 22161905)
What happened here? He seemed like he got off to a decent start to his pro career last year. Is it bad attitude, icetime, a combination of things?

Barry Trotz and the "yo-yo effect" of his coaching style/handling of players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 22165693)
The fact that he did not come to camp this fall showing any signs of improvement does fall squarely on the shoulders of only one person...Ryan Jones.

There was a fair amount of rehab/rest for an injury. That's two off seasons with rehab--this past year and 2008 after shoulder surgery so I'm not sure how much "improvement" one can do in the off season.

worstfaceoffmanever 11-17-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Many of us saw promise in Jones, and I thought - and still think - that he could eventually develop into a Scott Walker-type player, a guy that would scoop up a lot of garbage, crash the net, show flashes of skill and hover around the 20g/25a mark most of his career.

Webersmashpuck 11-17-2009 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Preds Partisan;22167320]Barry Trotz and the "yo-yo effect" of his coaching style/handling of players.
QUOTE]

Come on, this is the fault of Jones and not Trotz, Hornqvist got dealt an even worse hand that Jones with the style you are talking about and he seems to be doing just fine.

Really I remember there being rumors of Jones immaturity and I think this is what pretty much killed it. He was always the big man on campus and now is barely an NHLer and he seems unwilling to put in the effort to make the step up. This last demotion may have completely killed his confidence in playing and a trade would do him well.

Preds Partisan 11-17-2009 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=Webersmashpuck;22167518]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds Partisan (Post 22167320)
Barry Trotz and the "yo-yo effect" of his coaching style/handling of players.
QUOTE]

Come on, this is the fault of Jones and not Trotz, Hornqvist got dealt an even worse hand that Jones with the style you are talking about and he seems to be doing just fine.

Really I remember there being rumors of Jones immaturity and I think this is what pretty much killed it. He was always the big man on campus and now is barely an NHLer and he seems unwilling to put in the effort to make the step up. This last demotion may have completely killed his confidence in playing and a trade would do him well.

On this highlighted point, I completely agree.

BigFatCat999 11-17-2009 10:10 AM

Well, as of right now, Nashville only has an extra 7th rounder so it might not be that bad to build up the picks. An extra 5th or even a 4th would be nice

worstfaceoffmanever 11-17-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 22159944)
Hopefully we can get a pick for him at this point...kind of makes the Zidlicky trade sting a bit, especially after it looked like it might be turning out okay in his better days.

We still got Zach Budish out of it.

barrytrotzsneck 11-17-2009 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=Preds Partisan;22167568]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck (Post 22167518)

On this highlighted point, I completely agree.

So, you're saying that you saw enough out of Jones this season to justify keeping him up over Santorelli(or Wilson, in the coming days)?

Santorelli may not be converting much, but he's at least getting chances, and it's not like Jones has pulled an O'Reilly and made the decision difficult by going to Milwaukee and tearing it up...

OpenWheel 11-17-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 22167734)
We still got Zach Budish out of it.

:thumbu: I know he's years away if he does make it. But I like the talk about how good his overall skating looks on the knee.

Better than getting nothing for Rich Peverley. :sarcasm:

:D

jstreet 11-17-2009 12:23 PM

is this all pure speculation?, I havent read a single snippet of this rumor anywhere else

barrytrotzsneck 11-17-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars (Post 22169460)
is this all pure speculation?, I havent read a single snippet of this rumor anywhere else

I haven't seen the initial article, but apparently stems from an Ottawa Sun report.

OpenWheel 11-17-2009 12:59 PM

I noticed another tweet that said Wilson will go to the AHL for a conditioning his assignment per Trotz when he's healthy. Still no mention of when healthy is going to be.

PredsV82 11-17-2009 01:27 PM

I think the reports that had Jones pegged as immature and not responsive to coaching are probably accurate.

I also agree with whoever said this demotion has probably screwed up his noggin. I suspect he thought he had it made with his one way deal and now that he has not only been sent down but stayed down while Thuresson and Santo have come back up and stayed up he may well have lost hope and is in a downward spiral thta can only be salvaged(possibly) with a change of scenery.

I would love to think some GM would actually give us something for him but I think if he is moved at all it will be for "future considerations" meaning someone does us a favor and takes him9and his one way deal) off our hands and we have to at some future point do the same for them...

quartermaster29 11-17-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 22170383)
I think the reports that had Jones pegged as immature and not responsive to coaching are probably accurate.

I also agree with whoever said this demotion has probably screwed up his noggin. I suspect he thought he had it made with his one way deal and now that he has not only been sent down but stayed down while Thuresson and Santo have come back up and stayed up he may well have lost hope and is in a downward spiral thta can only be salvaged(possibly) with a change of scenery.

I would love to think some GM would actually give us something for him but I think if he is moved at all it will be for "future considerations" meaning someone does us a favor and takes him9and his one way deal) off our hands and we have to at some future point do the same for them...

Erat didn't take getting sent to MIL very well at first, or so I was lead to believe. Then he had a chat with a coach who esplained things to him and he made it his personal goal to never return to Milwaukee ever again. Maybe this is what Ryan needs too?