HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick ?'s: one piece vs. shaft & blade combo (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=705281)

gintonic 11-19-2009 02:37 PM

Stick ?'s: one piece vs. shaft & blade combo

Can anyone elaborate on their experience between going with a one piece stick vs. the shaft and blade combo?

I've always used a one piece stick, mainly for the reason that I would think they are more structurally sound. I admit I could be misconcepted here and that's why I'm looking for feedback. I would think there could stand a chance that a shaft and blade could come apart in a game? or does this simply not happen?

doobie604 11-19-2009 02:46 PM

some sticks like the dolomite are actually 2 piece sticks. i personally like the 2 piece since it's easier to replace blades when it brakes, as for performance, one piece dolomite = 2 piece dolomite. however there are some sticks that have different ops vs 2 piece construction like the one95 and 10k. in those cases, the ops version is better than the 2 piece. oh and blade come apart will happen with ops or 2 piece, as long as the fit is right and have enough glue, the piece will not fall apart easily.

fourofakindfowl 11-19-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gintonic (Post 22205569)
Can anyone elaborate on their experience between going with a one piece stick vs. the shaft and blade combo?

I've always used a one piece stick, mainly for the reason that I would think they are more structurally sound. I admit I could be misconcepted here and that's why I'm looking for feedback. I would think there could stand a chance that a shaft and blade could come apart in a game? or does this simply not happen?

I def prefer shaft and blade. It allows you to experiment with blades and switch between using wood and composite. I use a Z-bubble with an ST blade right now but will probably buy a few bauer blades soon.

Hockeyfan68 11-19-2009 07:17 PM

I use 4 2 piece setups and have never used a one piece since many of those are two piece sticks anyway I never gave it much thought.

As for the real one piece sticks I cannot comment as I've never used any.

I can however tell you that two piece sticks are very durable and if you do break a blade it is cheaper to buy a new blade for a shaft than buying a whole new stick.

Some guys may prefer a brand spank me new stick anyway so it it comes down to preference.

I am one who likes to alternate blade patterns once in a while so having the ability to change blades whenever you want to keeps me happy.

As for one of your main concerns with a two piece being more structurally sound than a one piece I cannot say, all I can say is that I shoot very hard and play defensively and use a lot of stick whacking stick checks and blocking shots and have broken just one blade this year. I play at least twice a week I should add.

I am more than happy with how long they last, I am sticking with a 2 piece system for sure.

NYRSinceBirth 11-19-2009 07:34 PM

Well I have about 12 sticks, one is a OPS (SE6, 85 flex Gaborik curve), the other is a shaft/pro stock blade Dolo so technically a OPS to Warrior's standards (100 flex shaft, Malkin pro stock blade), and 2 woodies (Montreal 8825 Graphlight, Euro and SWD 5030 Coffee).

With the 8 others, I mix and match, a lot. I have a C21 tapered in a 102 flex Vapor XV, Ovechkin V10 in a 100 flex SE16, Saprykin pro stock in a 70 flex Synergy II, X60 Backstrom in a 70 flex Synergy II, Tapered Easton Sakic woodie in a 87 flex One95 (Modded with Ovechkin pro style toe curve), standard C21 in a flipped 85 flex U+, standard Easton woodie (Modded to Ovechkin pro style toe curve) in a flipped 85 flex U+, C21 Crossfire in a flipped 77 flex One 70 (Roller hockey stick)

I also have about 7 extra blades: Montreal PC modded to an unrealistically deeper curve, Vapor XVI P88 with a Hossa pro style toe, Easton ABS Forsberg, Koho ABS C21, Easton Thornton modded to open it up (Looks like a Lidstrom retail blade profile, but retail Drury curve), Easton ST Lidstrom, Warrior pro stock Patty O'Sullivan.

I lean vary far towards the 2 pieces. I've had more shafts that I've broken, blades I've broken/given away etc. But I can mix and match to whatever I want. This is mostly due to a quest of what I want in a stick. If I like the p92 70 flex I'll pick up another one and retire the Saprykin so I have my shooter sticks done. I'm going to pickup more tapered mid hooks and put them in a mid 80's high 70's flex shafts and the higher 100 flexes will probably keep the Ovechkin retails in them (I just need another).

Heat McManus 11-19-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth (Post 22210002)
Well I have about 12 sticks, one is a OPS (SE6, 85 flex Gaborik curve), the other is a shaft/pro stock blade Dolo so technically a OPS to Warrior's standards (100 flex shaft, Malkin pro stock blade), and 2 woodies (Montreal 8825 Graphlight, Euro and SWD 5030 Coffee).

With the 8 others, I mix and match, a lot. I have a C21 tapered in a 102 flex Vapor XV, Ovechkin V10 in a 100 flex SE16, Saprykin pro stock in a 70 flex Synergy II, X60 Backstrom in a 70 flex Synergy II, Tapered Easton Sakic woodie in a 87 flex One95 (Modded with Ovechkin pro style toe curve), standard C21 in a flipped 85 flex U+, standard Easton woodie (Modded to Ovechkin pro style toe curve) in a flipped 85 flex U+, C21 Crossfire in a flipped 77 flex One 70 (Roller hockey stick)

I also have about 7 extra blades: Montreal PC modded to an unrealistically deeper curve, Vapor XVI P88 with a Hossa pro style toe, Easton ABS Forsberg, Koho ABS C21, Easton Thornton modded to open it up (Looks like a Lidstrom retail blade profile, but retail Drury curve), Easton ST Lidstrom, Warrior pro stock Patty O'Sullivan.

I lean vary far towards the 2 pieces. I've had more shafts that I've broken, blades I've broken/given away etc. But I can mix and match to whatever I want. This is mostly due to a quest of what I want in a stick. If I like the p92 70 flex I'll pick up another one and retire the Saprykin so I have my shooter sticks done. I'm going to pickup more tapered mid hooks and put them in a mid 80's high 70's flex shafts and the higher 100 flexes will probably keep the Ovechkin retails in them (I just need another).

***** lol

NYRSinceBirth 11-20-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heat McManus (Post 22211688)
***** lol

Dude I told you, don't put you're actual picture as your avatar, people might make fun of it.

(No, it's not actually him. He's just jealous of my gear whorage. I think.)

gintonic 11-20-2009 03:30 PM

How exactly are the blades secured onto the shaft?

Jarick 11-20-2009 03:41 PM

I prefer a two piece, but lately have been buying closeout one piece sticks. Got a 7k Sickick for $90 and a XXV for $70. Both are fused two-piece sticks.

When you buy a shaft and blade, you heat the shaft up a bit with a heat gun, melt some hot glue onto the hosel of the blade, stick it in, and let it cool. The shaft will shrink and hold the blade in place. The glue is only there to fill gaps, not to keep it together. If it's loose, a piece of tape on the hosel helps.

Fused two piece sticks (like the 7k, Dolomite, XXV, etc) are joined together at the factory using epoxy, which holds a lot stronger than hot glue. They are usually sanded and painted to look like a one piece stick. You can sometimes turn them into shafts by sawing at the joint and chipping it out with a chisel (I've never had luck heating and pulling blades).

My favorite shafts are the Reebok 7k/8k and Dolomite. Favorite blades are Dolomites.

WVP 11-20-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth (Post 22210002)

That's a bit odd to me.....I generally stick to the same pattern over and over. I'd go crazy with all different blades and shafts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gintonic (Post 22225169)
How exactly are the blades secured onto the shaft?

Slides into the shaft about 1-2" and adhered with hot glue.

fourofakindfowl 11-20-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVP (Post 22225715)
Slides into the shaft about 1-2" and adhered with hot glue.

thats hot

WVP 11-20-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourofakindfowl (Post 22226139)
thats hot

Sigh.......that's what she said.

Hockeyfan68 11-20-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 22225345)
I prefer a two piece, but lately have been buying closeout one piece sticks. Got a 7k Sickick for $90 and a XXV for $70. Both are fused two-piece sticks.

When you buy a shaft and blade, you heat the shaft up a bit with a heat gun, melt some hot glue onto the hosel of the blade, stick it in, and let it cool. The shaft will shrink and hold the blade in place. The glue is only there to fill gaps, not to keep it together. If it's loose, a piece of tape on the hosel helps.

Fused two piece sticks (like the 7k, Dolomite, XXV, etc) are joined together at the factory using epoxy, which holds a lot stronger than hot glue. They are usually sanded and painted to look like a one piece stick. You can sometimes turn them into shafts by sawing at the joint and chipping it out with a chisel (I've never had luck heating and pulling blades).

My favorite shafts are the Reebok 7k/8k and Dolomite. Favorite blades are Dolomites.

I bet you could more easily if you had a bench vise, I have used it for stubborn buttends before. Clamp the thing in there and use your full body weight and it comes loose eventually just after getting it hot.

I've never done a one piece stick made from two pieces but I am pretty sure it would come loose.