HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: Is it time to recall Desharnais? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=705319)

DDs not undersized 11-19-2009 03:33 PM

Is it time to recall Desharnais?

With the loss of Gionta, and with our current lack of offense, maybe the temporary solution is in Hamilton? Everybody talks about Sergei, but fact is that he's not very productive in the AHL right now.

One player fell off the radar these past few weeks, and it's David Desharnais. After a very impressive training camp, he's been injured for the first 4-5 weeks of the season. But since he's back, he's on fire : 4 games, 3 goals, 2 assists, 5 points, +1.

Is it time to give him a try in the big league? I think he could be very effective on the powerplay. He also brings hard work and commitment, and I'm sure he could play on the wing for now. I would even give him a try on the Gomez line. It looks like a better option than Moen, IMO... In fact, he has a lot in common with Gionta...

Is it time to call him up?

YMCMBeaulieu 11-19-2009 03:38 PM

If you're not going to call up Sergei call up Desharnais then at least.

Has/can he play the wing though?

Stradale 11-19-2009 03:44 PM

Habs are already struggling to score goals with Gionta, one of our leading scorer, in the line up. I cant believe they havent called anyone yet to "fix" that problem.

Ozymandias 11-19-2009 03:46 PM

I'll get on the phone right away.

Analyzer 11-19-2009 04:05 PM

I say pass.

montreal 11-19-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 22207731)
I say pass.

Yes he is a great passer, no doubt.

jiboy 11-19-2009 04:12 PM

Call Sergei

Desharnais played 5 ahl games and you wanna call him up? If I was Sergei I would just explode and get the hell out of here

crystal ball 11-19-2009 04:13 PM

This guy thinks it's time:

http://www.habsloyalist.blogspot.com

Blame Subban 11-19-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1337 (Post 22207846)
Call Sergei

Desharnais played 5 ahl games and you wanna call him up? If I was Sergei I would just explode and get the hell out of here

So the Habs won't recall a player cause another one would be pissed.

Great thinking. By the way Sergei hasn't done anything of note to be called up.

habsfans333* 11-19-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BriscomikCammagiomez (Post 22207886)
So the Habs won't recall a player cause another one would be pissed.

Great thinking. By the way Sergei hasn't done anything of note to be called up.

Lets call Brock Trotter.

uiCk 11-19-2009 04:27 PM

like JM said, hes already working with pyatt and white. he also said SK not ready yet. and i dont think he wants to dismantle the bulldogs atm. i think if one of them fails (pyatt/white) then we might see desharnais. or if SK performs, since hes only in hamilton to train.

want to point out great work white is oding on the pk since hes been called up:handclap:

Blame Subban 11-19-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfans333 (Post 22207978)
Lets call Brock Trotter.

Because Trotter and Desharnais are on the same level, obviously.

lillypad33 11-19-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BriscomikCammagiomez (Post 22208080)
Because Trotter and Desharnais are on the same level, obviously.

Chipchura, Laraque, Pyatt, White.... too many 4th liners!
Lapierre, Latendresse...playing like 4th liners

Something has got to give. Personally, I'd send White down and call up Desharnais. What's the worst that happens?

Markowicz 11-19-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillypad33 (Post 22208210)
Chipchura, Laraque, Pyatt, White.... too many 4th liners!
Lapierre, Latendresse...playing like 4th liners

Something has got to give. Personally, I'd send White down and call up Desharnais. What's the worst that happens?

Started a thread a few hours ago that is basically everything you just said. Go check it out and tell me what you think. its called Moen... and 1st line experiments.

Jean-Guy Drouin* 11-19-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1337 (Post 22207846)
Call Sergei

He cant. If Sergei leaves, he wont be able to play the Olympics for Belarus. So he'll have to stay and be mad.

I say call up Desharnais.

jiboy 11-19-2009 05:48 PM

Are you guys blind or what?

ok Sergei had some issues

but on ice He did prove much more then MaxPac, Dagostini, Chipchura and obviously Desharnais

we got a chance to call him up, we know he can play the nhl, and be a hell of a player when he wants to

he might just help spark his brother, who seems to be kicking it to next gear recently, and we do need offense

Also Guy Boucher said that Sergei was doing very well with the team, that he did understand his role and that he was doing good for the team

If we call someone it has to be Sergei K

Viggo Mortensen 11-19-2009 06:04 PM

Ive been reading on the boards about this guy, he seems to have a lot of potential, but is it what we need right now?

A 5'6'' 175lbs guy while people arent stopping saying we are too small?

I mean, i havent seen him play, I dont know if he has grit, but I have a concern about that, Id really go with SK atm

Qui Gon Dave 11-19-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jprock (Post 22209414)
Ive been reading on the boards about this guy, he seems to have a lot of potential, but is it what we need right now?

A 5'6'' 175lbs guy while people arent stopping saying we are too small?

I mean, i havent seen him play, I dont know if he has grit, but I have a concern about that, Id really go with SK atm

David Desharnais has all manner of grit. He may not be the most physically strong or imposing player but that doesn't prevent him playing in a style which suggests he won't back down due to those things. His actions on the ice certainly show he doesn't back down. He will race for pucks into the corners, he'll drive to the net, he'll get knocked down but he gets back up and plays the game as hard as he can play it. The Dogs just played 2 games against Abbotsford, the most penalised team in the AHL this year. Not seen the 1st of those yet but during the 2nd, their players were all over DD every chance they got, always getting on his case after whistles and he still didn't back down in the game. It's not his way. He seems to approach games the same way Gionta would approach a game against Chara, he gives it his all knowing he might get knocked around a bit, but he still plays his game. And he succeeds at it.

I can see why you might be concerned though and why people may not want another tiny guy on the roster. He is also more of a playmaker, although he will score his fair share of goals too. Therefore, another alternative could be Mike Glumac, a 6'2 (IIRC) right handed goal scorer who can play the body and goes to the net. He may not be able to carry an offensive line in the NHL, but he could certainly round one out, if put in the right situation. Gomer and Cammy (for example) could do the leg work, Glumac could work the boards and the front of the net, like he does with Trotter and Desharnais in Hamilton. It's another possibility, just as Sergei is. But if a lack of size is truly an issue that would need to be addressed by a callup, Sergei doesn't offer an abundance of that, although he certainly has his plus points. Glumac has size and is a right handed goal scorer, something else the team could do with. Despite there not being a sure fire, go to guy on the farm for us right now, at least there are a couple of options that provide different approaches to providing a jolt to the teams attack. We'll just have to wait and see who, if anyone, management feels would help the most.

CanadienErrant* 11-19-2009 07:28 PM

No need to call up anyone.

Stewart, Chipchura and Leach are the extra guys.

JUST TRADE FOR ONE, BOB !

Havlat, Backes, Tuomo Rutuu could be had !

ooops... Stewart is gone...

Viggo Mortensen 11-19-2009 07:31 PM

Thx for the infos, thats what I wanted to know

Usually I try not to caracterize size and grit. Anyway, I would take back SK on the team any day, but im also up for a new face replacing Gionta on the top unit

mariolemieux66 11-19-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave (Post 22210649)
David Desharnais has all manner of grit. He may not be the most physically strong or imposing player but that doesn't prevent him playing in a style which suggests he won't back down due to those things. His actions on the ice certainly show he doesn't back down. He will race for pucks into the corners, he'll drive to the net, he'll get knocked down but he gets back up and plays the game as hard as he can play it. The Dogs just played 2 games against Abbotsford, the most penalised team in the AHL this year. Not seen the 1st of those yet but during the 2nd, their players were all over DD every chance they got, always getting on his case after whistles and he still didn't back down in the game. It's not his way. He seems to approach games the same way Gionta would approach a game against Chara, he gives it his all knowing he might get knocked around a bit, but he still plays his game. And he succeeds at it.

I can see why you might be concerned though and why people may not want another tiny guy on the roster. He is also more of a playmaker, although he will score his fair share of goals too. Therefore, another alternative could be Mike Glumac, a 6'2 (IIRC) right handed goal scorer who can play the body and goes to the net. He may not be able to carry an offensive line in the NHL, but he could certainly round one out, if put in the right situation. Gomer and Cammy (for example) could do the leg work, Glumac could work the boards and the front of the net, like he does with Trotter and Desharnais in Hamilton. It's another possibility, just as Sergei is. But if a lack of size is truly an issue that would need to be addressed by a callup, Sergei doesn't offer an abundance of that, although he certainly has his plus points. Glumac has size and is a right handed goal scorer, something else the team could do with. Despite there not being a sure fire, go to guy on the farm for us right now, at least there are a couple of options that provide different approaches to providing a jolt to the teams attack. We'll just have to wait and see who, if anyone, management feels would help the most.

Not too sure about Glumac, he could'nt even play with a bad St-Louis a few years ago.

Adam91 11-19-2009 07:33 PM

Said it a few hours ago; Sergei and/or Desharnais please!

L'abstrait 11-19-2009 07:42 PM

Why not! I say give the boy a chance!

Mats NAslund 11-19-2009 07:47 PM

I like Deharnais....

In fact if Montreal could unload Gomez for a winger I'd call up Deharnais as the number 2 C but in this case you call up Sergei, Desharnais can't play wing and there is no room right now for a Desharnais down the middle.

InglewoodJack 11-19-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay1337 (Post 22209189)
Are you guys blind or what?

ok Sergei had some issues

but on ice He did prove much more then MaxPac, Dagostini, Chipchura and obviously Desharnais

we got a chance to call him up, we know he can play the nhl, and be a hell of a player when he wants to

he might just help spark his brother, who seems to be kicking it to next gear recently, and we do need offense

Also Guy Boucher said that Sergei was doing very well with the team, that he did understand his role and that he was doing good for the team

If we call someone it has to be Sergei K

Are you blind?
Sergei gets injurned, comes back has like 3 goals the whole season.
DD gets injured, comes back and has the same amount of goals in 4 games.
I want to see SK, but DD is so hot right now its insane.
That being said, I don't think he's NHL ready coming back from an injury. He's burning up the A, but I'd give him two weeks first.