HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The real Turning point (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=70537)

jcpenny 04-14-2004 02:05 AM

The real Turning point

The real turning point is the offside called on Bulis while he was going to score the empty netter. Slegr shot it back in the zone but Bulis intercepted it right at the Blueline and got it out right away. Ref shouldnt have called it. If someone can give the real explanation ill rest happy but now i say the refs took it from us. We had that discussion this year on a identical Leaf goal and the explanation was that the Leaf player had full control of the puck. Didnt Bulis had full control? He was in the Boston zone when the ref called the play off. What bugs me is that nobody talks about it!

THORNTON19 04-14-2004 02:08 AM

Unless you where hovering above the blueline how can you say it wasn't offside?

not quite yoda 04-14-2004 02:10 AM

Yes that may have been a game with a different result. But MTL still coulda won after that. Like Perreault being on the ice for that late faceoff...

The turning point is when Kovalev ran into his own man like a blind horse. THAT is what gave the Bruins a winning opportunity. If Kovalev wouldn't have pivoted, we could still be playing right now.

jcpenny 04-14-2004 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THORNTON19

its just that this year the same thing happened to us and it wasnt called offside, im so confused...

Wildbeliefs 04-14-2004 02:13 AM

Quote:

I don't perfectly remember the play, but did a Boston player touch the puck? If not, whatever happened to delayed offsides?

And even if it was offside, why did the official wait until Bulis was almost in the Boston zone to whistle the play down?

jcpenny 04-14-2004 02:18 AM

Boston did not touch the puck im pretty sure. I would need a comfirmation on that though. It could have been the game...

THORNTON19 04-14-2004 02:19 AM

When you dump it back in and your teammates are in the zone it's an intentional offside. If a Habs player had brought it back in it'd would've been a delayed offside.

Wildbeliefs 04-14-2004 02:21 AM

Quote:

When you dump it back in and your teammates are in the zone it's an intentional offside. If a Habs player had brought it back in it'd would've been a delayed offside.

Ok, so why was it only called once Bulis hit the Boston line? That really seems to me like the ref wasn't sure what to do, but decided to stop the game at the last minute because he didn't want a blown call to determine the end result of the game.

THORNTON19 04-14-2004 02:23 AM

They were blowing the whistle the whole time, the linesman had his hands up telling them to stop.....they couldn't hear the whistle 'cause the fans were yelling so much.

Wildbeliefs 04-14-2004 02:27 AM

Quote:

They were blowing the whistle the whole time, the linesman had his hands up telling them to stop.....they couldn't hear the whistle 'cause the fans were yelling so much.

I'd have to see a replay... I don't remember it perfectly.

Ah well, I guess I need to upgrade from "fan" to "obsessed crazy person", tape every game and mull over every little thing that went wrong. :)

SuperUnknown 04-14-2004 02:28 AM

Quote:

If that's the case, shouldn't the next faceoff take place close to the Bruins blue line?

THORNTON19 04-14-2004 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
If that's the case, shouldn't the next faceoff take place close to the Bruins blue line?

No. It's offside at the Habs line

SuperUnknown 04-14-2004 02:34 AM

Quote:

No. It's offside at the Habs line

Rule 74 (b) If in the opinion of the Linesman, an intentional off-side play has been made, the puck shall be faced-off at the end face-off spot in the defending zone of the offending Team.

That's from the rulebook. You said yourself "When you dump it back in and your teammates are in the zone it's an intentional offside."

Wildbeliefs 04-14-2004 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
Rule 74 (b) If in the opinion of the Linesman, an intentional off-side play has been made, the puck shall be faced-off at the end face-off spot in the defending zone of the offending Team.

That's from the rulebook. You said yourself "When you dump it back in and your teammates are in the zone it's an intentional offside."

Hmmm... interesting point, Smail. Does any Bruin fan care to explain that?

THORNTON19 04-14-2004 02:39 AM

Maybe it's not intentional then when it's so close to the blueline and the D man is just trying to keep it in? Anyways, it's offside, perhaps it's only intentional when you fire it in from the redline or something while your guys are in the zone.

SuperUnknown 04-14-2004 02:47 AM

Anyway, it doesn't matter that much, it was a tough call, arguable call. Even if the refs made a mistake, it's one that they can get away with because you can't call the video judge to see what was the right thing to do.

I was just questioning the play and call since we're arguing about what should have been done in a perfect world. If the Bruins Dman was far enough from the blue line (I think 2-3 feet outside), the faceoff should have been done near the Bruins blue line imo, but as the rule states it's in the linesman opinion. I've seen similar cases (this year) where the faceoff was taken back at the offending team's offside faceoff circle. If I had been reffing that game, I wouldn't have called it a offside at all, since it was on the Blueline and in that case penalising Montreal (when a offside should penalise the offending team).

Bruinguy 04-14-2004 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
I'd have to see a replay... I don't remember it perfectly.

Ah well, I guess I need to upgrade from "fan" to "obsessed crazy person", tape every game and mull over every little thing that went wrong. :)

I did see the replay and he's right...the refs were blowing the whistle and waving their arms just as Bulis was getting to the red line. The play was so fast and the crowd so loud that nobody heard the whistle at all. I was trying to listen for it and I had trouble even on the replay. CBC replayed it and analyzed it right after the 3rd period.

s7ark 04-14-2004 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
Yes that may have been a game with a different result. But MTL still coulda won after that. Like Perreault being on the ice for that late faceoff...

The turning point is when Kovalev ran into his own man like a blind horse. THAT is what gave the Bruins a winning opportunity. If Kovalev wouldn't have pivoted, we could still be playing right now.

EXACTLY. I can't believe that Perreault wasn't out there for the last faceoff. Isn't that his only job on the team?? I like Dowd, but up one goal with 30 seconds left in the third to go 2-2 in the series? That's Yanic's job, and CJ screwed the pooch. Hindsight is 20-20, but we were all talking about it just before the puck dropped. Kovi's getting a lot of flack, but why did Souray skate right toward him without any communication? One would expect that he would have skated behind Kovalev to return to his defensive position, or call him off the puck. Kovalev should not be left as the last man back at any time except the powerplay.

It's all my fault really. We went out to watch the game, so I couldn't conduct service at my shrine. It worked last game, and I encourage everyone to check the montreal poster awards thread for the details. :) I'll double my efforts from now on, and no more going out to watch games!!

Guy! 04-14-2004 03:32 AM

Maybe Souray is so bitter because he didn't open his eyes and see his player three feet in front of him. Maybe he knows that he could have skated around Kovy had he but awakened to the fact that a game was being played. Perhaps his little outburst was made to deflect a little of the heat.

Because if you look at the play, he should have easily avoided Kovy had he been paying attention. I mean, he's not Ward, he can turn without the help of the boards.

But who am I to say anything, Judgement has been Passed by Those in the Know. (Wonder if, after watching the replay, Julien might have a quiet word with Souray.)

ACF

tinyzombies 04-14-2004 03:35 AM

I have it on DVR, but I don't want to know if the ref blew the call to be honest.

I'm so mad at the way our wingers played in the defensive zone. That is where the game was lost. As Pierre McGuire would say, our wingers just don't make hard plays when trying to get the puck out.

s7ark 04-14-2004 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I'm so mad at the way our wingers played in the defensive zone. That is where the game was lost. As Pierre McGuire would say, our wingers just don't make hard plays when trying to get the puck out.

Amen. I was disgusted at how easily the bruins d men were able to pinch and keep the puck in. Once the puck reaches the hash marks in our zone the middle (between the two bruins defense) is always wide open, but we always try to beat it up the boards. I thought our forwards were supposed to be faster than the B's defense!? In the defensive zone they've shown they're definitely not stronger. You'd also think someone on our team would be able to stickhandle and pass, since most "fast" teams can. I also can't remember the last time I saw so many pucks roll off sticks when trying to gain the zone, or bouncing over sticks due to a rediculous pass. I'm encouraged by the appearance of pressure and offensive chances, though. By game 7 we might have it all together! ;)

Disco Volante 04-14-2004 03:53 AM

Oh the real turning point... I don't know. I lost all hope in that game when we blew the 5 on 3, and we were up by a goal at that moment. That's where we lost it IMO.

jcpenny 04-14-2004 11:17 AM

The refs had two choices: bring the face off in the Bruins zone cuz it was intentionel or let the play go. Bulis had full control so they should have let the play go. STUPID REFS!

Subban Fan 04-14-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcpenny
The refs had two choices: bring the face off in the Bruins zone cuz it was intentionel or let the play go. Bulis had full control so they should have let the play go. STUPID REFS!

Exactly...so frustrating! I also think it's the real turning point! :banghead:

benji 04-14-2004 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion

What are you talking about man? Dowd dominated the faceoffs and pretty much won that one. Ward tried to get it out but he was unlucky, it hit the d's skate. That goal was just unlucky.