HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   MN Hockey & hfboards popularity (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=707190)

BigT2002 11-24-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daice (Post 22288457)
About hockey in minny, I heard , dunno if it's true, that college hockey is more popular than the wild in minnesota. Is it true?

Well, here is what you have to remember with any fanbase....you like to win championships. The Gophers have done that pretty damn well and you can make the argument that the WCHA is probably the toughest conference in NCAA hockey. Just by looking at past championships and the amount of all star caliber talent that has left the conference to the NHL, even just winning the WCHA equates to the SEC fanboys winning their football championship. Also keep in mind, that while the team is almost a decade old, we went a huge stint without a professional hockey team. That too should be added to the equation because we had to find something else to watch during that hockey season with no team to cheer for. Also, we are a state that prides ourselves in homegrown talent. Many top talented players, to include Crosby, have played at the high school level in our state. So to us, our high school winning a state title is basically like winning the Stanley Cup.

Quote:

Also you guys being a hockey city, why are there so few ppl on hf boards, i mean where do you fans show your interest for hockey...
(im not saying that the more ppl on hf boards a team has, the better the fans are) but do you have your own equivalent of hf boards...

Our official Wild.com message board is probably the largest fanbase out of all the NHL teams bar none. Typically most Wild fans don't GAF about any other teams or news regarding them so they just stay on their own board where its a little more friendly and typically everyone is from Minnesota. That and my own personal opinion that they don't like to be judged by other teams fans....but thats just me.

Quote:

I mean latendresse was acquiered by you guys, and in 2 page posts, 90% are from habs fans... if not more....

Well...what do you expect? We don't exactly have a fanbase as large as the Red Wings or the Rangers so it takes a little bit more for it to grow outside of the states of Minnesota/North and South Dakota/Wisconsin/Iowa. And really Wisconsin and Iowa people tend to lean towards the Hawks moreso than the Wild because they are moving in a more forward direction and have been over the last couple years.

Quote:

im just curious, not trying to sound like a troll, although it may sound a lil harsh.. but why so few ppl on hf boards ? (where do you guys talk hockey or you ''just'' enjoy the games... dunno how it is:))

Def. not coming off as a troll dude. A lot of us keep it very in house thats all. Go to the Wild.com board and you'll see where they are all at.

GopherState 11-24-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

About hockey in minny, I heard , dunno if it's true, that college hockey is more popular than the wild in minnesota. Is it true?

I'll give this a shot, although BigT2002 did a great job too.

From my experience, I'd say that the Wild are more popular than any D-1 hockey team, but the sum of the college teams and WCHA creates a lot more hardcore college fans than NHL fans. Many people are fans of their college or HS team first and follow the Wild with a passive interest; mainly because they are "Minnesota's team." Maybe this will change if the Wild have another deep playoff run [everyone jumped on the bandwagon in 2003] or contend for the Stanley Cup, but it's pretty hard to compete with an institution when you are the youngest team in the NHL that hasn't accomplished anything.

Quote:

Also you guys being a hockey city, why are there so few ppl on hf boards, i mean where do you fans show your interest for hockey...
(im not saying that the more ppl on hf boards a team has, the better the fans are) but do you have your own equivalent of hf boards...
As I said before, there are plenty of options for a hockey fan in Minnesota to get their hockey fix since the market is unique amongst other NHL cities. While the official Wild boards do get a lot of traffic [along with one of the beat writer's blogs], there are plenty of people who would rather discuss their HS or college team [as various message boards show] and put the Wild on the back burner. I'll be honest, I'm one of them although it doesn't help that there are plenty of other NHL teams I'd rather watch and follow.

Another factor is something that BigT2002 touched on, namely that most fans couldn't give two ***** about what has happened around the league. While it's good to get a cross-section of hockey fans across North America and the world, I'm very busy these days and there are plenty of better places to discuss the hockey issues I'm interested in. There's not a big college or MN HS section on HF Boards [especially compared to a site like USCHO, which focuses solely on US college hockey] because that's more of a niche audience [especially compared to the amount of Canadians on the boards who follow major junior] and not one most fans outside of Minnesota, Colorado, Detroit and Boston would be interested in [with the exception of trying to follow prospects]. Hell, half of my posts on HF Boards are just trying to rebut misinformation about players and prospects people haven't seen.

Quote:

I mean latendresse was acquiered by you guys, and in 2 page posts, 90% are from habs fans... if not more....
Shouldn't be a big shocker given it's a trade between the team with the most threads and posts in their forum and the team with the least threads and posts. As far as my thoughts, Pouliot looked okay in the only game I saw him play this season [@ Washington] - he's essentially a player that needs to play top-six minutes but hasn't really gotten that opportunity due to better players and laziness. Don't know if he'll get that opportunity in Montreal, but it's probably for the best that Pouliot has a change of scenery. Well that or the Montreal media will eat him alive.

Quote:

im just curious, not trying to sound like a troll, although it may sound a lil harsh.. but why so few ppl on hf boards ? (where do you guys talk hockey or you ''just'' enjoy the games... dunno how it is:))
I think in the end, a lot of this has to do with some combination of the market, keeping hockey local and the team itself. The Twin Cities and state of Minnesota are unique in that while there are other NHL markets that have college and major junior teams, the NHL teams have been prominent for longer [i.e. Toronto is a "Leafs town, not a hockey town" and the Bruins and Red Wings are both Original Six franchises that have existed for decades despite having a number of nearby college teams]. In the case of Minnesota, both college and HS hockey had been around for decades before the North Stars arrived in 1967, and remain ingrained in the fabric of the state despite thirty-odd years of having a professional team at the highest level.

Along with the Twin Cities being a unique market of hockey fans, not NHL fans, there is a prominent idea in Minnesota to keep hockey local. To be honest, I didn't realize how much this was the case until I moved away for work and law school, but going back to the 1950s with John Mariucci the idea has been to challenge high school coaches across the state to develop better hockey players by only taking Minnesota-born players at the U. While Minnesota doesn't completely adhere to this policy anymore [although I believe they are all-Minnesotan at the moment], it's become a source of pride for Gopher fans and has been a huge boost for NHL players coming out of the state. In addition to the college game, this is followed on all levels - kids grow up dreaming to play for their HS and win the State Championship and stay "in-house" [i.e. rejecting the US Development program or USHL and not traveling for tourneys] and most Minnesota-born NHLers are cheered upon by both Wild and hockey fans due to making it to the highest level.

Finally, I believe the biggest reason for there being few Wild fans on HF Boards is the team itself. There was a seven-year period with no NHL team and plenty of hockey fans [especially older ones] don't have the same connection to the Wild that they did for the North Stars despite selling out every game of their existence. There's also no history or real rivalries due to isolation [could care less about of the three Western Canadian teams or Colorado - each has a better rival or two and there's something like six teams who are closer to St. Paul than Denver], being moved out of the old Norris Division [losing a good one with the Black Hawks] and not being in the same division as the previous Minnesota team [yes, Dallas has the former North Stars but at this point it is more between Norm Green than the team itself], which leads to there being no reason for smack talk against the other 29 teams when there are plenty of great WCHA or HS rivalries. Plus throw in the fact that Minnesota hockey is its own little bubble that has enough hockey to discuss between themselves and you can begin to see why hockey is very popular in the state, but the NHL is not.

ceber 11-24-2009 06:31 PM

Hope you guys don't mind, I copied these to a new thread. Maybe we should sticky it. I'll check back in a week. :)

GopherState 11-24-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceber (Post 22294394)
Hope you guys don't mind, I copied these to a new thread. Maybe we should sticky it.I'll check back in a week. :)

I don't mind and it's a probably a good idea to sticky it.

BigT2002 11-24-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceber (Post 22294394)
Hope you guys don't mind, I copied these to a new thread. Maybe we should sticky it. I'll check back in a week. :)

Agreed :) thanks Ceber

Keetz 12-05-2009 12:34 PM

Wow finally!

I've tired of answering those threads. The past two years I've ignored them all together.

I personally spend most of my time on the other team boards or the main board just browsing. I like to consider myself one of the few and proud here at hf wild. I don't post much or start threads but im here everyday checking up. I cant say i envy other boards but it would be nice for a little more involvement.

But of course that involves involvement. Thats my motto. Don't get involved with anything that involves involvement.

North Metro Peewees 12-07-2009 10:53 PM

These "questions" are ridiculous. For one, a measure of fan base and support isn't done by how many people post on this website. The team I coach was just at Squirt B tourney this weekend and there were hundreds of fans at this tourney. I would say generally speaking this website is relatively unknown around here (sorry everyone) but you really have to be a hockey geek to come to this site (yes I'm guilty as charged).

Most Minnesotans are big on participation meaning they play hockey or go to games but don't sit on the internet and speculate a great deal. On any given evening if the Wild (18,000+) and the Gophers (10,000+) are both playing home games fans are paying pretty substantial sums of money to watch hockey. I mean the average Wild seat is $65 and the average Gopher ticket is $36. If you throw in the people who are watching D-III College and High School hockey as well as traveling games everyone is too damn busy to type on the computer. Were at the game!

I can speak only for myself but with Wild season tickets and coaching my older sons Squirt traveling team and having a career I honestly don't have much time to post and it makes me wonder about some of the fans who have thousands of posts. My question to them is get away from the computer and go experience life. Get involved with the game in other ways. Youth teams are always looking for coaches etc. :shakehead

vitogor 12-07-2009 11:55 PM

Good thread, way overdue. I've stopped answering the "where are all the wild fans" questions about 5 years ago. They inevitably pop up in just about every thread, we'll see if this here helps.

And yes, Minnesota is a unique hockey market. Grassroots hockey is king here, with the NHL taking the back seat. And while the Wild has a lot of fans and sells out every game, most people here don't give a rat's arse about what's going on around the league. They care about their kids' teams, their beer league teams, high school hockey, Gophers [St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, whatever], Wild - usually in that order. Ask somebody about last year's high school state tournament, and you get a half-hour monologue. Ask somebody about Ovechkin's latest suspension, and you get a blank stare.

Jarick 12-17-2009 12:26 PM

Another thing to add,

Minnesotans are pretty timid people and not the most outgoing, so they will show up in droves to see their team but not necessarily talk about it.

Lots of college hockey fans (and many Vikings/Twins fans) are not computer savvy...Wild fans probably more so due to how new the team is.

For all the rich history of hockey, a lot of Minnesota is farming community, most of which isn't big on the sport. If I were to guess, maybe 75% of Minnesotans would consider the Vikings or Twins their favorite MN sports team...Wild are pretty far behind in popularity.

This is compounded by urban kids growing up in a completely non-hockey culture and a ton of African and Asian immigrants who want nothing to do with Minnesota culture in general.

So basically, my take is that hockey has a huge cult following, lots of people will eat, breathe, sleep, etc hockey, but we're still a minority among Minnesotans in general. It's a way of life for dozens of suburbs and small towns, but a complete afterthought for others.

Madic 12-22-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BP Mites (Post 22533659)
If you throw in the people who are watching D-III College and High School hockey as well as traveling games everyone is too damn busy to type on the computer. Were at the game!

I can speak only for myself but with Wild season tickets and coaching my older sons Squirt traveling team and having a career I honestly don't have much time to post and it makes me wonder about some of the fans who have thousands of posts. My question to them is get away from the computer and go experience life. Get involved with the game in other ways. Youth teams are always looking for coaches etc. :shakehead

I dig the rest of your points, but I don't buy this. Sorry, but if literally all of your spare time in life is spent coaching a Squirt team and attending hockey games...well, I don't have a pithy remark, because that's not possible.

The amount of free time most people have after work and on weekends is fairly large taken as a whole, and the internet is one of the most easily accessed services in conjunction with other spare-time activities...watching TV being the most common. So the "We don't come on hfboards because we're so busy with hockey and living to the fullest!" line just doesn't fly. You may (and seem to) very well have a busy life currently, but it would literally take 20 minutes a week, and you'd have over 1000 posts in no time...unless you're not the "talkative" (type-ative?) type. I catch junior hockey, I never miss a Leafs game be it at the bar or home, I play twice a week, I'm an avid reader...and I have plenty of time to putt around on the net. And live life to it's fullest. :rolleyes:

Really, that's simply a semantics quibble on my part though...I hear what you're saying. This is a neat thread, as the whole community driven, school-based hockey craze doesn't exist here. Junior hockey is popular, of course, but University/College hockey isn't much. It's simple to grasp, but when you get the level of popularity and history behind highschool/college hockey over there as opposed to 'all roads lead the NHL'...neat stuff.

North Metro Peewees 01-02-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madic (Post 22797000)
I dig the rest of your points, but I don't buy this. Sorry, but if literally all of your spare time in life is spent coaching a Squirt team and attending hockey games...well, I don't have a pithy remark, because that's not possible.

The amount of free time most people have after work and on weekends is fairly large taken as a whole, and the internet is one of the most easily accessed services in conjunction with other spare-time activities...watching TV being the most common. So the "We don't come on hfboards because we're so busy with hockey and living to the fullest!" line just doesn't fly. You may (and seem to) very well have a busy life currently, but it would literally take 20 minutes a week, and you'd have over 1000 posts in no time...unless you're not the "talkative" (type-ative?) type. I catch junior hockey, I never miss a Leafs game be it at the bar or home, I play twice a week, I'm an avid reader...and I have plenty of time to putt around on the net. And live life to it's fullest. :rolleyes:

Really, that's simply a semantics quibble on my part though...I hear what you're saying. This is a neat thread, as the whole community driven, school-based hockey craze doesn't exist here. Junior hockey is popular, of course, but University/College hockey isn't much. It's simple to grasp, but when you get the level of popularity and history behind highschool/college hockey over there as opposed to 'all roads lead the NHL'...neat stuff.

Honestly I come to this site a couple of times per week but don't post comments frequently. What I said about the hockey in this market is absolutely the truth. People attend games and for some reason don't spend time on websites and if it's not the reasons I stated before then I'm not exactly sure why.

All you need to do is look at tonight the Wild had just shy of 19,000 for a home game against the Devils while at the same exact time the Gophers played host to Bowling Green at Mariucci Arena which is 8 miles away and they drew 10,200 (sellout) which is considerably more attendees than most Jr teams in Canada have. And trust me when I say the Gopher tickets are almost as spendy as NHL tickets.

That alone was 30,000 people paying big league prices to watch hockey and I can't say why more of those people don't visit these sites? When we arrived at the arena for our practices today our Bantam A team was scrimmaging a team from Colorado with around 400 fans in attendance and that was one arena out of the dozens in the Twin Cities metro area (every suburb has at least 1 indoor rink and many have multiple sheets) for one Saturday afternoon.

My day was completely devoted to hockey being at the rink for 2 practices this afternoon for my younger son followed by my Squirt age son and trying to catch some of the Russia/Switzerland and Canucks/Stars on the center ice package (good thing the wife likes hockey). Then since I sold my tickets for the Wild game tonight we came home had dinner and watched the Wild game and the Gopher game and Team USA vs. Finland.

All in all there is considerable passion for hockey in this town that compares favorably to any Canadian city I just can't figure why more people don't visit these sites.

BigT2002 01-03-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BP Mites (Post 22975770)
Honestly I come to this site a couple of times per week but don't post comments frequently. What I said about the hockey in this market is absolutely the truth. People attend games and for some reason don't spend time on websites and if it's not the reasons I stated before then I'm not exactly sure why.

All you need to do is look at tonight the Wild had just shy of 19,000 for a home game against the Devils while at the same exact time the Gophers played host to Bowling Green at Mariucci Arena which is 8 miles away and they drew 10,200 (sellout) which is considerably more attendees than most Jr teams in Canada have. And trust me when I say the Gopher tickets are almost as spendy as NHL tickets.

That alone was 30,000 people paying big league prices to watch hockey and I can't say why more of those people don't visit these sites? When we arrived at the arena for our practices today our Bantam A team was scrimmaging a team from Colorado with around 400 fans in attendance and that was one arena out of the dozens in the Twin Cities metro area (every suburb has at least 1 indoor rink and many have multiple sheets) for one Saturday afternoon.

My day was completely devoted to hockey being at the rink for 2 practices this afternoon for my younger son followed by my Squirt age son and trying to catch some of the Russia/Switzerland and Canucks/Stars on the center ice package (good thing the wife likes hockey). Then since I sold my tickets for the Wild game tonight we came home had dinner and watched the Wild game and the Gopher game and Team USA vs. Finland.

All in all there is considerable passion for hockey in this town that compares favorably to any Canadian city I just can't figure why more people don't visit these sites.

We are all out playing Pond Hockey ;)

djp4516 01-10-2010 10:32 AM

2 reasons why Wild fans don't visit HFboards often

1) Overall, there are a bunch of bendjobs posting here, but that's what you get when a forum gets this big.. the extreme posts are almost hilariously awful at times on the NHL/trade talk forum.

2) Minnesotans in general like to be around Minnesotans.. just the way it is.

Madic 01-17-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BP Mites (Post 22975770)

Hey, I'm not arguing the popularity of hockey over there...like I said, I have no experience with Minnesotans in general, much less Minnesota hockey culture. I agree; you guys seem to draw ridiculous crowds for what is considered over here as a "quiet hockey town". I was just giving my 2 cents on the "spare time" thing...the internet is a varied and intractable attraction, I certainly can't understand it.

I think the peculiar thing to me is the image. As a your average suburbanite Canadian, our general opinion of Minnesota -- those of us having never visited -- is remarkably similar to Canada. It's relatively cold, you have a passion for hockey that challanges all other major sports, and you have the "nice people" label. But when it comes down to hockey, Canadians are generally as loud as possible. It's our one soapbox to stand on. So it's a funny contrast with you guys. A little off topic and meandering, but just funny to me.

Johnny Hanson 01-19-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BP Mites (Post 22533659)
These "questions" are ridiculous. For one, a measure of fan base and support isn't done by how many people post on this website. The team I coach was just at Squirt B tourney this weekend and there were hundreds of fans at this tourney. I would say generally speaking this website is relatively unknown around here (sorry everyone) but you really have to be a hockey geek to come to this site (yes I'm guilty as charged).

Most Minnesotans are big on participation meaning they play hockey or go to games but don't sit on the internet and speculate a great deal. On any given evening if the Wild (18,000+) and the Gophers (10,000+) are both playing home games fans are paying pretty substantial sums of money to watch hockey. I mean the average Wild seat is $65 and the average Gopher ticket is $36. If you throw in the people who are watching D-III College and High School hockey as well as traveling games everyone is too damn busy to type on the computer. Were at the game!

this guys bang on with this

se7en 04-14-2010 01:18 PM

So I'm new over here, this is actually just my 2nd post but I'm glad this is a sticky topic (all tho it seems to be one not posted on frequently haha)

Anyway, I don't have a good answer, us Wild fans are a peculier bunch... I've read all the reasons on here that we're so elusive but I can only partially agree with most. However I don't have any good additional reasons...

I know personally, I have trouble finding other Wild fans because we're so spread out over numerous forums. I had spent the last 4 years on CBS.Sportsline & at Wild.com mostly.. Wild.com was a great source but after they changed the forum set-up it became liek a ghost town over there. CBS as been my go to place but that's more of a league forum so I spent most my time talking East Coast hockey because that;s where the majority of the people on there were from. There is a small section of some great Wild fans tho!

I decided to give here a shot because I love talking hockey and since I live in SoCal, it's hard to find people to do that with outside of a message board forum setting...

If I had to give a reason why there is so few of us I'd have to say that one, we're just still too new of a team. We've never been that exciting to watch, we get absolutely no national coverage and we have no heated rivals.. we're just that quiet team from a hockey loving state that most people are just indifferent about, No one outside Minnesota really loves us but they don't hate us either (maybe just our jerseys, and up until last season our Trap / left wing lock system! haha)

I think now that we have a new GM, in the next few years you'll see our online contributions grow but in the past we've never had anything truley exciting to discuss. No major trades, no huge games, no epic play-off runs (besides 2003) etc, etc.

Like many hockey cities tho, we do have alot of extremely knowledgable fans that really know their stuff and I'd say for the most part we're a friendly bunch. I think our lapse of pro hockey from 1993 - 2000 has made us very accepting of other teams. I know that I personally bacame a huge fan of the Blackhawks (nearest team to us when the Stars left) The Islanders (I lived on Long Island for a while) The Flyers (my family is from there) & the Kings (Live here now) not to mention I also kept tabs on the Stars. I just love the sport as a whole and so I think like many of us, we don't hit up message boards to go start snit with other teams fans and therefor just keep to ourselves...

I know alot of people that only started going to forums to troll or to brag and that's how they got started, that's just not our stlye... We love the game, we love alot of teams and we love our homegrown talent..

I hope to see more of us popping up soon because that would be great but I do have some pride in being a huge fan that can appreciate every team for differnt reasons and I love that we (most of us at least) can get along with fans from anyone from our own division all the way to fans of teams we rarely play..

Good thread, and glad to be on the boards!

BigT2002 04-14-2010 01:26 PM

Welcome to the darkside ;)

GopherState 04-14-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by se7en (Post 25159742)
So I'm new over here, this is actually just my 2nd post but I'm glad this is a sticky topic (all tho it seems to be one not posted on frequently haha)

Anyway, I don't have a good answer, us Wild fans are a peculier bunch... I've read all the reasons on here that we're so elusive but I can only partially agree with most. However I don't have any good additional reasons...

I know personally, I have trouble finding other Wild fans because we're so spread out over numerous forums. I had spent the last 4 years on CBS.Sportsline & at Wild.com mostly.. Wild.com was a great source but after they changed the forum set-up it became liek a ghost town over there. CBS as been my go to place but that's more of a league forum so I spent most my time talking East Coast hockey because that;s where the majority of the people on there were from. There is a small section of some great Wild fans tho!

I decided to give here a shot because I love talking hockey and since I live in SoCal, it's hard to find people to do that with outside of a message board forum setting...

If I had to give a reason why there is so few of us I'd have to say that one, we're just still too new of a team. We've never been that exciting to watch, we get absolutely no national coverage and we have no heated rivals.. we're just that quiet team from a hockey loving state that most people are just indifferent about, No one outside Minnesota really loves us but they don't hate us either (maybe just our jerseys, and up until last season our Trap / left wing lock system! haha)

I think now that we have a new GM, in the next few years you'll see our online contributions grow but in the past we've never had anything truley exciting to discuss. No major trades, no huge games, no epic play-off runs (besides 2003) etc, etc.

Like many hockey cities tho, we do have alot of extremely knowledgable fans that really know their stuff and I'd say for the most part we're a friendly bunch. I think our lapse of pro hockey from 1993 - 2000 has made us very accepting of other teams. I know that I personally bacame a huge fan of the Blackhawks (nearest team to us when the Stars left) The Islanders (I lived on Long Island for a while) The Flyers (my family is from there) & the Kings (Live here now) not to mention I also kept tabs on the Stars. I just love the sport as a whole and so I think like many of us, we don't hit up message boards to go start snit with other teams fans and therefor just keep to ourselves...

I know alot of people that only started going to forums to troll or to brag and that's how they got started, that's just not our stlye... We love the game, we love alot of teams and we love our homegrown talent..

I hope to see more of us popping up soon because that would be great but I do have some pride in being a huge fan that can appreciate every team for differnt reasons and I love that we (most of us at least) can get along with fans from anyone from our own division all the way to fans of teams we rarely play..

Good thread, and glad to be on the boards!

Welcome and that might be the best first second post I've read.

se7en 04-14-2010 03:00 PM

Thanks guys!

spanman112 04-15-2010 04:37 PM

Well since my man se7en told me to come over to this site from CBS I figured I would pop my cherry on this topic.

I agree with most of what se7en said; the main reason that the Wild donít generate that much interest is because they are never a story. That can be a bad thing Ö but it can also be a very good thing. You guys never have controversy (for the most part), your fans are GREAT, some of the best that Iíve come across, and you arenít doochenozles Ö and you donít really have and Avery type players, so other fan bases donít really hate you.

When it comes to media exposure itís all about the story. A famous line in the media industry is ďif it bleeds, it leadsĒ Ö which is true in both news and sports related news. I mean who wants to read an article about a pretty ok team with no locker room fights and no terrible contracts weighing them down, etc etc. Itís like getting an update stating ďno new updateĒ haha. But like I said, itís not necessarily a bad thing. Heck I envy it! You think us Rangers fans like hearing about Redden and Sather all the time? Ö we know they suck! Haha.

Point is, without a story you guys will continue to be buried in the lower end of the media exposure market. It sucks cuz I really would like to catch more Wild games without having to pay for Center Ice (which I usually get anyway). So if you really wanna get more Wild games on VS and NBC, start picking fights in the stands or something haha, but I know you wonít cuz that ainít your style Ö keep it classy Minny!

PS Ė I REALLY hope they allow the Wild to use the North Stars naming rights Ö even if it only means getting the North Stars jersey as like a 3rd jersey Ö they are one of my fav jerseys of all time!

PPS Ė Iím sure you guys arenít too fond of my avatar Ö but Iíve had a man crush on Gabby since he potted 5 against the Rangers!

GopherState 04-15-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanman112 (Post 25193260)
Well since my man se7en told me to come over to this site from CBS I figured I would pop my cherry on this topic.

I agree with most of what se7en said; (1)the main reason that the Wild donít generate that much interest is because they are never a story. That can be a bad thing Ö but it can also be a very good thing. You guys never have controversy (for the most part), your fans are GREAT, some of the best that Iíve come across, and you arenít doochenozles Ö(2) and you donít really have and Avery type players, so other fan bases donít really hate you.

When it comes to media exposure itís all about the story. A famous line in the media industry is ďif it bleeds, it leadsĒ Ö which is true in both news and sports related news. I mean who wants to read an article about a pretty ok team with no locker room fights and no terrible contracts weighing them down, etc etc. Itís like getting an update stating ďno new updateĒ haha. But like I said, itís not necessarily a bad thing. Heck I envy it! (3)You think us Rangers fans like hearing about Redden and Sather all the time? Ö we know they suck! Haha.

Point is, without a story you guys will continue to be buried in the lower end of the media exposure market. It sucks cuz I really would like to catch more Wild games without having to pay for Center Ice (which I usually get anyway).(4) So if you really wanna get more Wild games on VS and NBC, start picking fights in the stands or something haha, but I know you wonít cuz that ainít your style Ö keep it classy Minny!

(5)PS Ė I REALLY hope they allow the Wild to use the North Stars naming rights Ö even if it only means getting the North Stars jersey as like a 3rd jersey Ö they are one of my fav jerseys of all time!

(6)PPS Ė Iím sure you guys arenít too fond of my avatar Ö but Iíve had a man crush on Gabby since he potted 5 against the Rangers!

First of all, welcome to HF!

1. Agreed, although there are many factors as to why that's the case despite being both successful and a disgrace.

2. Derek Boogaard and Cal Clutterbuck disagree. Everyone hates them; it's the one thing people say about the Wild besides "they are boring" and "good fans, I wonder why they aren't on HF?"

3. No, but then again that's what happens with the NY/Toronto/Montreal media.

4. They already play the maximum games on VS despite not making the playoffs (local ratings play a key role) and are the last team in the West not named Detroit or Chicago to make an appearance on NBC. So that's not so much an issue.

5. It's a completely different team and time to move on.

6. No it's fine.

BigT2002 04-15-2010 06:50 PM

I object to the fairy missing his wings in his avatar at the very least

se7en 04-16-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT2002 (Post 25196540)
I object to the fairy missing his wings in his avatar at the very least

HA! I hate Marian Gaborik, Spanman already knows that tho because I remind him every day... haha

Spanman! Good to see you made it over buddy! Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday, I was up in Orange County & LA & had to settle for phone internet and it gets a little annoying to make posts from a phone. haha

Anywho, I'll use Gopher States numbers to reply on this one.

1 & 2) I agree, I also kind of agree with Gopher on Boogaard & Clutterbuck but I don't think they are quite the same caliber of nuisance as Avery. Boogaard is definitly feared & hated by other teams but I really don't see him as an instigator, i see him as more a retaliator (if thats a word?) He's more of an insurance policy to not take liberty's at our "Stars" or in terms of the Wild our better then just mediocre players. haha . As for Clutterbuck, he's making a strong case for himself because I know he always has choice words for opponents, and we all know he LOVES to lay a hit, but I personally haven't seen much hatred for him yet. Maybe Gopher sees it over here but I'm too new and on CBS all you east coasts guys don't see him enough. Also, there wasn't too many Wild division rivals on CBS so maybe thats why I don't hear about it... I know some Minnesota fans think Clutter is too recklass but I know his hearts in it & I think he makes the game more fun even tho he does go out of postion to make some hits.. But I still love him...

3) Hearing Redden made fun of daily has become a staple of being a Rangers fan! I also think alot of that is Leafs (from the CBS boards) he LOVES to give you snit about him as often as possible!

4) I got to go with Gopher on this one as far as versus' games. The last 2 seasons we've pulled an amazing number of Wild games on versus! How? I don't know... but we're definitly ignored by NBC, which is fine because they pander to the casual fan.. But I do believe we are extremely ignored by most hockey news outlets.. NHL.com pretends we don't even exsist.. I've actually wrote emails to them about how ignored we are. I kid you not, last time we were in the play-offs, they did a huge story about the play-off teams and their fans. They did great story's on 15 teams of the 16 teams. Not a single word or picture about Minnesota. Also, another poster from Wild.com tallied the amount of storys we had covered by NHL.com, we were
30th out of 30 in coverage, we had BY FAR the least amount of press out of all 30 teams! GRRRRRRRR! I've actually boycotted NHL.com, haven't been to that site in 2 years..

5) I did a little write up on the North Stars thread about this... I agree with you.. Alot of Minnesotans are torn on this. I know we'll never actually be the North Stars again, but I have no problem with the Wild paying homage to Minnesota's history by bringing back the North Stars & the Fighting Saints jersey's as 3rds. See my post on the North Stars thread if you get a chance. I'd like to know what you guys think about what I believe the Wild are trying to do..

6) Hey if you want an ugly avatar be my guest. But again, mark my words, the Rangers will fail as long as they have Gabby! And don't forget our bet, The Islanders will be in a Stanley Cup again before the Rangers!! haha (For the posters on here, he hates that I'm an Islanders fan! haha but I made him go to an Islanders game with me in New York 2 weeks ago. he had fun, I know it! Oh and the Islanders mopped the floor with the Sens that game! haha sweet! )

GopherState 04-20-2010 03:39 PM

I'm starting to think that main Wild boards thing might be a lie - that place is a ghost town.

BigT2002 04-20-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 25327299)
I'm starting to think that main Wild boards thing might be a lie - that place is a ghost town.

That was after the NHL upgrade which put all the boards together from all the teams. Many people lost their usernames because of it, and never received the emails for the passwords. Exactly what happened to me