HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   TSN: Danny Syvret on waivers (update: cleared waivers Nov. 27, headed to Phantoms) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=707828)

Opus 11-26-2009 12:27 PM

Danny Syvret on waivers (update: cleared waivers Nov. 27, headed to Phantoms)

Per Bob McKenzie...
Quote:

Philly puts Danny Syvret on waivers Koistinen and Hensick clear waivers
https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie

November 27, 2009 update

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...145&feedID=695

Quote:

Defenseman Danny Syvret cleared waivers Friday, and has been sent to the Adirondack Phantoms.

claude boivin lives 11-26-2009 12:33 PM

That's ashame. I predict he gets picked up.

edit: oh wait, I still have the Jones half salary thing in my mind and am thinking of re-entry...I don't think Syvret will get picked up, although I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

chaosof99* 11-26-2009 12:33 PM

Wow. This is kind of surprising really. Is he on waivers because he has to pass through it if Holmgren wants to return him to the Phantoms?

If it's not because of that, I'm growing a bit weary. I think we've been giving away too many serviceable players which could have been traded rather than waived. If not traded alone, maybe packaged in with other trades. Väänänen, Metropolit, Jones, Syvret...

BringBackStevens 11-26-2009 12:33 PM

I didn't really like him. Not an NHL player IMO

Terence Peterman 11-26-2009 12:36 PM

Whatever. I don't bother even thinking about what was going through Holmgren's head when he makes these decisions anymore.

This, by the way, is separate of my feelings towards Syvret.

BringBackStevens 11-26-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosof99 (Post 22323517)
Wow. This is kind of surprising really. Is he on waivers because he has to pass through it if Holmgren wants to return him to the Phantoms?

If it's not because of that, I'm growing a bit weary. I think we've been giving away too many serviceable players which could have been traded rather than waived. If not traded alone, maybe packaged in with other trades. Väänänen, Metropolit, Jones, Syvret...

What makes you think there was a viable deal to be had for any of these guys? None of those players are good. Vaananen I did like but he had no value as he never saw the ice, Metropolit was OK but he made more money than what he should have, we all know the story with Jones, and Syvret is not an NHL player IMO. No team is going to give up something for a player that is sure to hit the waiver wire if all trade options are exhausted.

I doubt Syvret gets claimed and then gets assigned to Adirondack

GKJ 11-26-2009 12:38 PM

I won't cry if he's gone, but I would like to come up with another defenseman who we could trust if it comes to it. I guess this means Bartulis is on the team for good.

RoDu 11-26-2009 12:38 PM

Danny can thank Bartulis for this demotion IMO

GKJ 11-26-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 22323583)
Danny can thank Bartulis for this demotion IMO

Well, he got outplayed. Syvret was dubbed the #6 by the esteemed management when he made the team. At least they finally found a replacement by giving someone else in the organization an opportunity and not hastily making trades. I don't like losing guys for nothing, and would like the depth, so I hope he clears and we keep him on the Phantoms.

CanadianFlyer88 11-26-2009 12:43 PM

Syvret was a stop-gap for the Flyers; if they lose him on waivers, it's not a big deal. For the minutes he played, there are guys on the Phantoms that could do the same job.

In my opinion, Syvret will never find a permanent home in the NHL; he's a great AHL defensemen but I think the game is a little too fast for him at the NHL level.

Jester 11-26-2009 12:44 PM

Somewhere Wolfy weeps that he cannot become a Pens fan today.

BWAVgal 11-26-2009 12:57 PM

Koistinen would be a decent 6th guy.

GKJ 11-26-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWAVgal (Post 22323850)

He cleared, and is on the hook for next year. I don't think the Flyers are interested in that.

HoverCarle* 11-26-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 22323661)
Syvret was a stop-gap for the Flyers; if they lose him on waivers, it's not a big deal. For the minutes he played, there are guys on the Phantoms that could do the same job.

In my opinion, Syvret will never find a permanent home in the NHL; he's a great AHL defensemen but I think the game is a little too fast for him at the NHL level.

Huh? too physical is more likely. Syvret's speed is fine, but he's soft on the puck and on D. Bartulis is much better

CanadianFlyer88 11-26-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 22324260)
Huh? too physical is more likely. Syvret's speed is fine, but he's soft on the puck and on D. Bartulis is much better

The speed of the game affects decision making. Syvret doesn't look as comfortable in the NHL as he does in the AHL. It has nothing to do with how fast he can skate.

shamski7 11-26-2009 01:37 PM

happy thanksgiving danny

CharlieGirl 11-26-2009 01:42 PM

Syvret was exactly what he was reported to be -- a good AHL defenseman who could fill in as 6/7 NHL'er periodically and not hurt the team.

GKJ 11-26-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 22324260)

His skating skills are fine, but I think he means that the game moves too fast for Syvret to make decisions, identify plays, etc. That's how I saw his play.

CantSeeColors 11-26-2009 02:18 PM

Can't say I'm surprised after the way Bartulis has played.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWAVgal (Post 22323850)

I like Koistinen, but like GKJ hinted, not at $1.2M. Let our own kids play for half that instead.

jd2210 11-26-2009 02:27 PM

He was a little too "turnovery" for my tastes. If he is grabbed up fine and if he isn't fine. I certainly don't hate him, but Bart clearly stole his spot. Good for Bart too. I like it when guys step it up and take a roster spot.

GKJ 11-26-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamski7 (Post 22324393)
happy thanksgiving danny

He's Canadian, don't think he's too offended

Murphy7 11-26-2009 04:02 PM

That poor boy (maybe 9-10 years old) they've shown a couple of times before games on CSN broadcasts holding the "Danny Syvret's biggest fan" sign is crying in his turkey.
As for Danny, he had a cool ritual of dousing his stick with water during the pre-game skate. I am unsure what it accomplished, as this thread isn't talking about his scoring prowess or his great stick-checking ability.
Good luck to him.

CharlieGirl 11-26-2009 04:21 PM

According to Timmy P, Holmgren has said Syvret needs to be playing, and assuming no one picks him up, he'll be assigned to the Phantoms.

Wolfy* 11-27-2009 07:50 AM

You should see this coming, one had to go. There's no point in having two healthy defensemen on the bench, it's also a financial matter.

Bartulis stays because he's the better player of the two, and OKT has a better contract. Syvret says he's very surprised, I don't understand why. He's 8th on the depth chart for sure, and he's been a healthy scratch for the last seven games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
Somewhere Wolfy weeps that he cannot become a Pens fan today

Tolly will hang around here as 6/7 for years to come, looks like I'm not going anywhere either ;)

CptCannon 11-27-2009 09:39 AM

Just hoping Homer wouldn't put Syvret to re-entries..

And NO Koistinen, NO! NOOO!!

Even if he'd come with 0,5 mil caphit, NO!