HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Kovalev (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=70803)

Fat Elvis 04-14-2004 06:51 PM

Kovalev
 
There has been a few on the Kings board that would love to sign this guy for 5-6 mil for next season. I have always thought of this guy as a selfish player that lacks the heart and determination to be a winner. He seems to be more of a distraction and an addition to a cup contender. He's played for you for a few weeks, what are your thoughts of him and am I far off of my discription of him? I could be off according to some of you who would like to resign him, but the Kings are a lot farther away from being a winning team than you guys. Like to know your opinions, thanks.

not quite yoda 04-14-2004 06:58 PM

We are going to steal Laperiere from you this summer as a UFA!
:jump: :banana: :lol: :handclap:

Belarus Rocket 04-14-2004 07:04 PM

Well,no doubt Kovalev Is a great player,he Is probably In the top 10 for the most skilled offensive player In this league,the only problem I see with him Is Is lack of effort some night,he played AWESOME In the playoff for us,but for the part of the regular season we had him, he was so-so and not showing that much Intensity,but I think we are seeing the real Kovalev now,and no doubt I would love BG to re sign Kovy

SuperUnknown 04-14-2004 07:15 PM

Kovalev is a soft streaky selfish player. He's got an amazing toolset, he's one of the better skilled players in the league.

You do the math and find out if he's worth it or not. ;)

didjuicythat 04-14-2004 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
Kovalev is a soft streaky selfish player. He's got an amazing toolset, he's one of the better skilled players in the league.

You do the math and find out if he's worth it or not. ;)

I wouldn't say he is soft. Well maybe he is, but actually he can throw his body around more than most of our forwards. As for your point about him being a selfish player, it's hard for me to disagree with that, but that's what happens with most super-skilled players. Those kind of players tend to keep the puck for themselves a tad longer, and sometimes *much* longer. You need some of those on your team. Zednik does that too, but the difference is he needs 5 good scoring chances to put the puck in the net, whereas Kovalev is more of a sniper (mostly because of that accurate and hard wrist shot he possesses).

Fat Elvis 04-14-2004 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
We are going to steal Laperiere from you this summer as a UFA!
:jump: :banana: :lol: :handclap:

Lappy is great, I hope he stays. He just brings it every night even though he didn't drop the gloves often this year because of Avery.
You guys want Eric Belanger?

Mooch 04-14-2004 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
Kovalev is a soft streaky selfish player. He's got an amazing toolset, he's one of the better skilled players in the league.

You do the math and find out if he's worth it or not. ;)

Ive done the math, i want him resigned. IMO its a no brainer if he comes at a reasonable price.

4.5 mill for 2 years.

Fat Elvis 04-14-2004 10:47 PM

Thanks for the replies, sounds as though you guys like him enough to want to resign the guy. Guess I was wrong about him and what he adds to the hockey team. Oh, and no Lappy for you...hopefully he stays.

not quite yoda 04-14-2004 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
Ive done the math, i want him resigned. IMO its a no brainer if he comes at a reasonable price.

4.5 mill for 2 years.

I hope you mean 4.5 per year, for 2 years.

Yeah, I am still thinking about it and am anxious to see how he reacts tomorrow. I am reserving my judgement for after the playoffs.

About 5 million $ a year seems fair... that is if we want him back.

:jump:

not quite yoda 04-14-2004 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Lappy is great, I hope he stays. He just brings it every night even though he didn't drop the gloves often this year because of Avery.
You guys want Eric Belanger?

Nope, don't need Belanger. It is Laperiere or bust. And Lappy it will be: he has stated that he wants to play at home. I suspect that he would take a pay cut to play here. He is a hard working, grinding, defensive checker. He can play wing or cenre, shoots right... I think it's a match made in heaven.

:jump:

Zednik 04-14-2004 11:32 PM

forget Kovalev... I'm sure he'll want to leave Montreal with all the circus around him right now...

not quite yoda 04-14-2004 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zednik
forget Kovalev... I'm sure he'll want to leave Montreal with all the circus around him right now...

That may be true but I am sure he also realizes that he caused the circus to some extent.

Let's play game 5 first though...

:jump:

SuperUnknown 04-14-2004 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Thanks for the replies, sounds as though you guys like him enough to want to resign the guy. Guess I was wrong about him and what he adds to the hockey team. Oh, and no Lappy for you...hopefully he stays.

Remember though that the majority of the people around also felt Czerkawsky should have had a better chance with the team, that thought his skills alone were enough to warrant him a spot on the line-up.

To me, I'd rather have honest hardworkers that will give it all and that will care about the team before their own pittance.

That said, I hate fakers and divers in hockey, so I'm having a hard time with Kovalev. As good as a player he is, I think he has poor sportsmanship and that's one of the things that's important to me in the game.

Mike The Wall 04-15-2004 08:01 AM

Kovalev has never had a system to play in he was out of game shape because of the Rangers and Pitts. If many of you remember before Gainey went to get Kovi he said that it is hard for a player to fit into a system right awaym (being traded at deadline) He gave the example of Nolan. I can see Kovalev's talent and boy he has shown us nothing yet. Boys and girls do not lose patients with him he will be studd withing our organization. He is not soft, he is not quttless. He has just never had a system to play in. so for everybody out there that does not see the big picture buy a telescope and you will see that he is a Star in the rising

Blind Gardien 04-15-2004 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
There has been a few on the Kings board that would love to sign this guy for 5-6 mil for next season. I have always thought of this guy as a selfish player that lacks the heart and determination to be a winner. He seems to be more of a distraction and an addition to a cup contender. He's played for you for a few weeks, what are your thoughts of him and am I far off of my discription of him? I could be off according to some of you who would like to resign him, but the Kings are a lot farther away from being a winning team than you guys. Like to know your opinions, thanks.

Sold! There will always be a sucker GM who will shell out 5-6 mil for a guy like Kovalev (or 8-9 mil or whatever for Yashin), and I say they're welcome to him. In fact, with Straka there in LA, and maybe guy like Stumpel, you'd almost have resurrected the kind of line he had the most success on, if Palffy and some other guys can really draw the checkers on the other line. It could work out.

But I wouldn't sign him for that much guaranteed in Montreal. He's not so much a distraction, as distracted.

Harry 04-15-2004 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
Kovalev is a soft streaky selfish player. He's got an amazing toolset, he's one of the better skilled players in the league.

You do the math and find out if he's worth it or not. ;)

The skill of a superstar. The brain of an idiot

Duster 04-15-2004 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry
The skill of a superstar. The brain of an idiot

He knows he'll get his 5 or 6 million a year somewhere at a place of his choosing this summer regardless of what he does in Montreal. Perhaps he's not so idiotic after all...;)

The team (and fans) have been wishing for an elite winger to play with Koivu on the top line for many years now. Kovalev walks away and the search begins all over again. We need him, in other words, if the team is to reach the next level. If we had a sure fire superstar-in-waiting ready to take his place that would be different but we don't.

No offense, but I'm a little curious why there are some who think he's gutless and selfish. How so? Because he doesn't play like Begin? Well, as others have pointed out, he's not supposed to be that type of player, rather he's there to score and he has. Without his three goals, the boys would be playing golf right now. Because he assumed Souray had the puck after a two-handed slash to hand? As some of you can attest, that type of slash hurts like he** if it hits a spot his minimal padding. Souray lost the puck, not him, and why was the latter ahead of Kovalev looking for a pass rather than behind him covering the zone? It also takes two to collide. The point is I think people, including CJ, are being a little harsh towards him IMO. Frustration no doubt...

Sign him I say. He's the best player on the ice so he should make more than Koivu or Breezy. If it doesn't work out, you can be sure other GMs will want him. He is not Czerkawski or Audette.

Fat Elvis 04-15-2004 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
Nope, don't need Belanger. It is Laperiere or bust. And Lappy it will be: he has stated that he wants to play at home. I suspect that he would take a pay cut to play here. He is a hard working, grinding, defensive checker. He can play wing or cenre, shoots right... I think it's a match made in heaven.

:jump:

Lappy doesn't make much as it is, if you want him to play for free he'd probably still do it. The guy is great to have because he loves to play. No Belanger huh? Damn!
Well maybe we aren't the best trading partners right now anyway, hopefully we can just play hockey next season. No Lappy for you! Good luck tonight.

Mooch 04-15-2004 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
I hope you mean 4.5 per year, for 2 years.


Yes, yes, stop be so nitty picky, and leave me alone.


:D

fufonzo 04-15-2004 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Lappy doesn't make much as it is, if you want him to play for free he'd probably still do it. The guy is great to have because he loves to play. No Belanger huh? Damn!
Well maybe we aren't the best trading partners right now anyway, hopefully we can just play hockey next season. No Lappy for you! Good luck tonight.

Well, we'll take Belanger if you take Juneau, Dackell and Traverse. Deal?

not quite yoda 04-15-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Lappy doesn't make much as it is, if you want him to play for free he'd probably still do it. The guy is great to have because he loves to play. No Belanger huh? Damn!
Well maybe we aren't the best trading partners right now anyway, hopefully we can just play hockey next season. No Lappy for you! Good luck tonight.

You missed my whole point. We don't need to trade for Lappy because he is an unrestricted free agent this summer. We will get him without losing a player in return... i.e: we are gonna steal him from you.

:jump:

Fat Elvis 04-15-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
You missed my whole point. We don't need to trade for Lappy because he is an unrestricted free agent this summer. We will get him without losing a player in return... i.e: we are gonna steal him from you.

:jump:

I got your point. Not too worried, I don't think he'll go but you never know. I was talking about Belanger, but it looks like you don't want him either.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.