HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   kings goalie prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=70819)

KingPurpleDinosaur 04-14-2004 06:40 PM

kings goalie prospects

can somebody tell me how good zaba and munce are? I don't really find much material on them and nobody really speaks about them all too much. not to mention, at the prospect camp these guys really disappointed me.

lastly, how's chouinard doing?? that guy used to be so highly rated, what happend to him? is there any chance we can have a breakout from him or hnilicka for that matter?

David A. Rainer 04-14-2004 07:34 PM

As for Zaba and Munce...

Zaba is an OK prospect. Might be a good AHL goalie someday, but I don't think he'll make it to the NHL. Maybe if the chips fall right and he continues to improve he'll be a fringe NHLer. He did very well as a freshman in college, but remember that he is an overage freshman at age 20 (the age of must juniors).

Munce is a little deceiving. He has a high GAA that was something like 20th in the OHL. But his SA% was like 5th. He faced a TON of shots with Sarnia, sometimes as many as 60 in a game, as well as starting in 3 games in 3 consecutive nights at one point. With a better defense in front of him, he might put up an excellent GAA. One of HF's OHL writers thinks that Munce is the best goalie in the OHL and ranked him 17th overall in the OHL. So it's hard to tell just how good of a prospect he is/will be.

KingPurpleDinosaur 04-14-2004 08:15 PM

what nhl goalie came from the OHL? and are they known for putting out good goalies from that league?

also, do u got any info on chouinard/hnilicka?

King Blazer 04-14-2004 08:37 PM

My ranking of the three goalies in Manchester is:

1. Hauser
2. Chouinard
3. Hnilicka

Hnilicka’s season has been disappointing to some and pretty much what others expected. His unorthodox style, inability to control rebounds, constant roaming, giving-up soft goals and overall inconsistency are likely to undo the Monarchs playoff run. He has been the least adequate of the three goaltenders currently in Manchester, but for some inexplicable reason, the organization is bent on having him as the #1 goalie going into the playoffs. They gave him the bulk of the last 10-games or so hoping he’d get hot and he didn’t. He had one good game in his last 5 or 6. If he has a breakout, many STHs hope it’s out of Manchester before tomorrow.

Chouinard has been adequate but nothing amazing. He has moments of brilliance followed by long periods of mediocrity. In all fairness, he was injured a fair amount of the season (groin) and seemed to always be “battling back” from injury. I don’t see him as an NHL starter any time soon, if ever. Injuries and the three-goalie rotation hindered his development this season.

Adam Hauser has been the most consistent and reliable goalie for the Monarchs this year. He came up from Reading and pitched consecutive shutouts. He has seen the most games and has the best numbers of the three. Hauser is the most likely of the three to make it as a starter in the NHL; however, solid back up is probably more likely.

Hnilicka 20-games 1021:47 min 8-10-0 1-shutout 2.58 gaa .908 spct
Chouinard 22-games 1093:20 min 10-6-0 4-shutouts 2.25 gaa .913 spct
Hauser 43-games 2538:29 min 20-15-7 7-shutouts 1.94 gaa .926 spct

Hope this helps

David A. Rainer 04-14-2004 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
what nhl goalie came from the OHL? and are they known for putting out good goalies from that league?

Well, I looked at the first 6 rounds of each draft from 1990-2003. Here's what I got.

Current NHL Goalies:
Robert Esche
Brent Johnson
Jamie Storr
Dan Cloutier
Kevin Weekes

Prospects who have seen NHL time and other notables:
Ray Emery (Ott)
Adam Munro (Chi)
Andy Chiodo (Pitt)
Brian Finley (Nsh)
Alex Auld (Pitt)
Craig Anderson (Chi)

To say that the pickin's are slim would be a understatement. The OHL is not known for goalies. The vast bulk of top NHL goalies come for the Q or Europe.

Fat Elvis 04-14-2004 09:42 PM

What about Marsters? Seems like he had a nice season this year. Did anyone get a chance to see him play? What's his ceiling?

Oilers Chick 04-14-2004 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
What about Marsters? Seems like he had a nice season this year. Did anyone get a chance to see him play? What's his ceiling?

Yes.

His "ceiling"??? :dunno:

LuckyLUC20 04-14-2004 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Yes.

His "ceiling"??? :dunno:

I think he's asking about his potential. :dunno:

Oilers Chick 04-14-2004 10:11 PM

Oh ok, got it.

Marsters played very well this season, but frankly I don't see him being an NHL-calibre player. He's likely a career AHL or ECHLer.

He's fairly good down low (although tends to commit WAY too early at times). His glove is average. He moves well laterally and seems solid on his angles. He usually good about controlling his rebounds, although I did see him give up a couple of juicy ones earlier in the season.

IMO, his biggest problem is committing too early on one-on-one situations and problems covering the top part of the net, despite the fact that he has good size and can cover alot of the net.

Fat Elvis 04-15-2004 11:29 AM

Oiler Chick, What do you think of Zaba and Munce and what are their *potentials* ;) Thanks for your input, you know more than most GM's do.

David A. Rainer 04-15-2004 07:49 PM

Quote:

Oiler Chick, What do you think of Zaba and Munce and what are their *potentials* ;) Thanks for your input, you know more than most GM's do.

Ya DJ. Catch any Sarnia games in your busy schedule? ;)

Oilers Chick 04-16-2004 05:03 PM

Quote:

I've never seen Munce, so I can't comment on his play.

Zaba has potential to be a top-flight goaltender in the NCAA. I was impressed with the way he was able to carry his team during McElhinney's illness and what he did when McElhinney came back. I'd like to see a bit more consistency in his play, especially in late season play when everything is on the line. It'll be interesting to see if CC head coach Scott Owen has Zaba and McElhinney splitting time throughout the season or if Zaba may actually win the starting job outright.

GoneFullHextall 04-17-2004 03:14 AM

with guys like Zaba and Munce in the Kings system do you really think they would draft Montoya if he was available at 11? I have a feeling they would. because i think this might be Hnilicka's only season in Manchester IMO. he really has been a dissapointment in my view of what allot of people expected of him. yes i know he has battled injuries but he has been too erratic. Hauser is my fave out of the 3 they have thou. Chewy really drives me crazy. too me he lacks focus, is usually caught out of position, and has givin up so many bad goals this season its not even funny. consistancy is his problem, he could pitch a shutout one game and then look totally lose and out of place the next game. I really wish they would have held onto Travis Scott but i realize that wasnt going to happen with contract gaurantees ect.

KingPurpleDinosaur 04-17-2004 10:50 AM

with chouinard, is there a possibility that he matures into the goalie that ottawa saw him to be? everyone says they saw flashes of brilliance with him and he's still young at 22. is there any possibility that he's going to just clean up his work ethic and then BOOM, we got our goalie?

agentfouser 04-17-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
with guys like Zaba and Munce in the Kings system do you really think they would draft Montoya if he was available at 11? I have a feeling they would. because i think this might be Hnilicka's only season in Manchester IMO. he really has been a dissapointment in my view of what allot of people expected of him. yes i know he has battled injuries but he has been too erratic. Hauser is my fave out of the 3 they have thou. Chewy really drives me crazy. too me he lacks focus, is usually caught out of position, and has givin up so many bad goals this season its not even funny. consistancy is his problem, he could pitch a shutout one game and then look totally lose and out of place the next game. I really wish they would have held onto Travis Scott but i realize that wasnt going to happen with contract gaurantees ect.

i don't think the situation in manchester is relevant to drafting montoya - isn't he NCAA, and therefore has the advantage of having someplace to play for free for the next three years?

Fat Elvis 04-17-2004 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
with chouinard, is there a possibility that he matures into the goalie that ottawa saw him to be? everyone says they saw flashes of brilliance with him and he's still young at 22. is there any possibility that he's going to just clean up his work ethic and then BOOM, we got our goalie?

That's a good point to bring up, he was a high draft pick (twice). There are very few goalies succeeding in the NHL younger than he is. I say give he and Hauser the jobs in Manchester(sign Hauser first) and see what we have when he's 24. He may be that goalie we're looking for after he matures some. A 24 year old goalie is still considered on the young side of his career right?

Old Hickory 04-17-2004 12:13 PM

Quote:

A 24 year old goalie is still considered on the young side of his career right?

Very much so.

KINGLEWOOD 04-18-2004 12:17 PM

I too think the Kings should sign Hauser, he's been the man in Manchester. The way I see it even if he could emerge as a backup goaltender for the future he is still valuable. Huets been a effective for the Kings and Hauser posted better numbers in his first complete season in the AHL.

Regarding Munce, I still think he's got a shot at developing into an NHL caliber goaltender, he showed that he can handle a heavy workload by playing the majority of Sarnia's games and he finished 3rd in wins in the OHL despite seeing a very high number of shots compared to the other goaltenders.

Matt Zaba's a solid prospect and I think he's got a big season ahead of him, he's still goat a ways to go but the potential is there. He's got a great opportunity to prove himself.