HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Tongues and Tendons (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=708906)

HannaColts 11-29-2009 04:16 PM

Tongues and Tendons

Who here goes tongues out?

Or who here puts there sock over their tendon gaurds, if so, why?

Like I see Kovalchuk and Kovalev put socks over their tendon guard, I wonder why?

noobman 11-29-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HannaColts (Post 22376886)

Like I see Kovalchuk and Kovalev put socks over their tendon guard, I wonder why?

Use the search function... there are a lot of threads on this already.

I go tongues out, and I do not put socks over my tendon guards. I have long laces, so I put my socks over my skate tongue so that my laces don't drag on the ice.

Supposedly having the sock over the tendon guard is for added security, so that a skate blade doesn't get caught between your tendon guard and your foot... effectively slicing your Achilles tendon in two. It feels a little strange to me, but I might try it the next time I go out for some shinny.

cptjeff 11-29-2009 05:19 PM

Well, a lot of it is feel. Tongues out will give you a little more forward flex, but tongues in allows a longer shin and more protection. covering the tendon guard or not is more how you like the sock to fit in regards to your ankle and skate.

I have the sock fully inside my skate around the top of the ankle, so tongue out and tendon guard out. Keeps the sock in place, keeps it from screwing around with my ankle, and it works well for somebody like me who likes most everything to be snug and fit snugly.

Hockeyfan68 11-29-2009 06:10 PM

I have everything tucked under the sock and the tongue under the shinguard.

Why? because this is comfy for me and basically that is the only reason. It sure doesn't hurt to have extra material over the tendon guard since it adds one more thing for the blade of a skate to cut through instead of your tendon.

My setup is not restrictive to movement as I have nothing stretched tight over the guard.

I wrap one strip of tape NOT tight around the sock around the ankle to hold everything together but like I said it isn't like a taped ankle as the tape is completely loose.

CanadaBacon 11-29-2009 06:18 PM

I go tongues in tendons out. Dont know why, just always have.

Ani simov mal 11-29-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HannaColts (Post 22376886)

I don't think Kovalchuk and Kovalev do it for protection or flexibility, they do it because they like how it looks. You'd be surprised but a lot of NHL players actually care about their style on the ice. If you can pull of the socks over tendon guard and get some flop, then go ahead. I personally like tendon guard out and tongues in.

Pog Form 11-29-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 22378647)

Same here. Just feels right to me.

Alfredsson11 11-29-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 22378647)

me too.

Just doesn't feel comfy if I don't...

Would a sock over the tendon guard actually provide security?

Hockeyfan68 11-30-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 (Post 22380599)
me too.

Just doesn't feel comfy if I don't...

Would a sock over the tendon guard actually provide security?

It's one more thing for a blade to cut through ... why not have it there is my thought. Like I said above I leave the sock loose over it and have a strip of tape around the skate loosely. Tucked into the back of the skate I dislike the extra thickness feeling of it inside the skate.

The old foot stirrup attached to the old fashioned hockey socks were cut off by me for the same reason back when and I put a strip of tape loosely around the ankle to hold the sock over it like I still do.

Habit I guess.

Ragss 11-30-2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anisimov (Post 22379323)
I don't think Kovalchuk and Kovalev do it for protection or flexibility, they do it because they like how it looks. You'd be surprised but a lot of NHL players actually care about their style on the ice. If you can pull of the socks over tendon guard and get some flop, then go ahead. I personally like tendon guard out and tongues in.

I completely agree. Its all about style, same with the jersey tucks. Same reason some players where tinted visors, and I'd bet the lack of canadians wearing them is largely due to the fact they'd get ribbed by their teammates for doing so.

As for me...tongue in, guard out. I used to wear my tongue out, just an old habit for no reason, but when I got my new skates the tongue didn't really fascilitate it anymore. Turns out its a lot more comfy with the tongue in.

Placebo Effect 11-30-2009 02:29 PM

Tongue in
Tendon out

CanadaBacon 11-30-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragss (Post 22385402)
I completely agree. Its all about style, same with the jersey tucks. Same reason some players where tinted visors, and I'd bet the lack of canadians wearing them is largely due to the fact they'd get ribbed by their teammates for doing so.
As for me...tongue in, guard out. I used to wear my tongue out, just an old habit for no reason, but when I got my new skates the tongue didn't really fascilitate it anymore. Turns out its a lot more comfy with the tongue in.

Are you talking NHL or just in general?

Im usually in the minority for not wearing a visor or cage.

LarryO 11-30-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 22391649)
Are you talking NHL or just in general?

Im usually in the minority for not wearing a visor or cage.

He's talking about tinted visors.

CanadaBacon 11-30-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryO (Post 22391730)
He's talking about tinted visors.

ah...touche

Then yes i agree, they are lame.

Randall Ritchey 11-30-2009 04:21 PM

Toungues in, Tendons out. It bugs me if I don't do it that way.

Paranoid Android 12-01-2009 04:33 AM

I hate the feeling of loose shin pads. I also can't stand the skate tongue directly touching my bare skin. So, tongue out.

noobman 12-01-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anisimov (Post 22379323)

I guess that's the reasoning behind jersey tucks too, right? *THAT* never made any sense to me.

Pog Form 12-01-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 22407330)
I guess that's the reasoning behind jersey tucks too, right? *THAT* never made any sense to me.

Yeah, it's silly when guys do it for fashion. I guess some people might tuck it in if they don't like the feeling of the jersey flapping around or if they're wearing an XXXL or something.

Personally, I don't tuck my jersey, but I've noticed since I got new pants recently, that sometimes my jersey will inadvertantly tuck itself. The pants go up a lot higher than my old ones, and my jersey is pretty snug, so sometimes it creeps up in there and gets caught during play. I never wanted to be "that guy", so if I notice it, I'll untuck it. Funny.

cptjeff 12-01-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

A lot of it is guys wearing jerseys that are way too big for them, and they flap about and weigh the arm down when shooting. It's rather annoying, and tucking the jersey in on your shooting arm prevents that.

Of course, it's solved by wearing the proper size, but everyone wants to look like gretzky and have the giant bag that's tucked in to make it somewhat wearable.

AHF 12-01-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 22378514)
I have everything tucked under the sock and the tongue under the shinguard.

Same here. I tuck everything in. Anything else doesn't feel right.

K-PAX* 12-01-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pog Form (Post 22408124)
I never wanted to be "that guy", so if I notice it, I'll untuck it. Funny.

lol "that guy" def guys with the tucked jerseys and tinted visors think theyre superstars or something

Hockeyfan68 12-01-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHF (Post 22408543)
Same here. I tuck everything in. Anything else doesn't feel right.

The only tongue hanging out when I play is the one in my mouth. I'm the tongue wagger hockey player type, we've all seen them.

I keep wondering if one day I catch a shoulder on the chin and bite my tongue off by mistake.:laugh:

RobertKron 12-01-2009 04:21 PM

I played D growing up and blocked shots a lot, so it was always tongues in to get that extra little bit of shin pad coverage. I used to have the tendon guard in, too, but I stopped doing that a few years back. No real reason; I just did it differently one day and haven't changed back.

Now that I think about it, I think it might have been because I started coaching, and the pants I would wear for practices were tight enough at the bottom that if I had the tendon guard tucked in, it would get annoying, so I was always making sure to have them on the outside, and then it became a habit that transferred over to getting my gear on when I was playing. But yeah, tongues in, tendons out.

CanadaBacon 12-01-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

I tuck on my shooting side, dont like the feel of the shirt when im shooting if it is untucked.

nyr33 12-02-2009 12:22 AM

wow, almost everyone i see playing with me goes tounges out. I go tounges in, tendons out i tried tounges out once and it felt so weird so ill never do it again.