HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who's expendable? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=709989)

FlyersRKings 12-02-2009 05:30 PM

Who's expendable?
 
Just curious to see at this point in the season who you guys think the Flyers could do without...by either trading, waiving, not re-signing, etc, taking into account who we could get in return.

I'm putting in my two cents IGNORING injuries, although I agree that's tough to do in a couple of cases.

For my list:

Danny Briere (still think he isn't quite worth the contract, but sort of on the fence)
Braydon Coburn (I think we could do better for a 2nd pairing defensemen)
Simon Gagne (I know he's injured, but I think he's on his way out)
Miika Pyorala (Just haven't been overly impressed with him)

I know Coburn and Pyorala still need to develop, but if push came to shove I would be OK with moving them.


Just my opinion...who's on your list?

DickTony 12-02-2009 05:31 PM

John Stevens.

FlyersRKings 12-02-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonMTG (Post 22433658)
John Stevens.

Should have added him.

Juicy Couturier* 12-02-2009 05:59 PM

Cote.

DrinkFightFlyers 12-02-2009 06:02 PM

Cote, Asham, Tollefsen, and Gagne (I love him, but he is definitely a player that if he were traded for someone worth it, I'd consider him expendable. I am in no way saying I want him gone or that they should trade him, but if he were traded I wouldn't call it a mistake.)

SolidSnakeUS 12-02-2009 06:09 PM

Cote, Asham, Stevens, Tollefsen and I don't know why the knock on Gagne. He's just injured, but when he's not he produces and is a great character for the Flyers as well. I still believe that he should always be a Flyer and retire as one.

Lomark 12-02-2009 06:10 PM

I don't believe in selling low so I'd move Carter over moving Gagne/Briere. In return I would want a scoring winger with good balance and stick skills (we suck on the cycle) and possibly some extras to move at the deadline for a good rental to give us that extra depth I think is vital for us to challenge for the cup.
(Bobby Ryan+ which I mentioned in another thread would be ideal but probably won't happen)
Other than him and prospects/fringe players/picks I don't see who we could move to improve.

And yeah I think now is the time to bring in a new coach, Stevens had his chance last year. I really think we were a better team than Pit for 80% of the time in last years playoffs yet that 20% and some bad luck killed us..
We need someone who keep the players on their toes and helps us perform consistently..

CantSeeColors 12-02-2009 06:27 PM

Nobody is expendable until the team figures out how to play when a few guys are missing.

GKJ 12-02-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS (Post 22434173)
I still believe that he should always be a Flyer and retire as one.

We'll see come contract time how bad he really wants to be a Flyer. Because if he isn't willing to come under $4M/year cap-wise, regardless of how many years, then he won't be a Flyer after next year.

However, like guys like Rod Brind'Amour, Mark Recchi, Dave Poulin, Rick MacLeish, Mark Howe, all guys who were very good and above that very good Flyers, Gagne is not good enough that he isn't above playing for another team. After next season, there's going to be a lot of teams who will need him more than we do, and I'm sure his agent knows that.

SolidSnakeUS 12-02-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 22434547)
We'll see come contract time how bad he really wants to be a Flyer. Because if he isn't willing to come under $4M/year, regardless of how many years, then he won't be a Flyer after next year.

However, like guys like Rod Brind'Amour, Mark Recchi, Dave Poulin, Rick MacLeish, Mark Howe, all guys who were very good and above that very good Flyers, Gagne is not good enough that he aren't above playing for another team. After next season, there's going to be a lot of teams who will need him more than we do, and I'm sure his agent knows that.

Which would still really suck. I love my Gagne jersey and I still feel he is still a heart and soul kind of guy as being a veteran Flyer.

captainpaxil 12-03-2009 02:55 AM

asham maybe pyorala. weve pretty much given up whatever we can through trades etc there aint much more we can afford to shed and still remain competitive.

IrishSniper87 12-03-2009 08:41 AM

Asham and Pyorala, while expendable, are perfect for this team and their roles. Good, cheap and you know what to expect. It's the 3 mill + guys I worry about getting my moneys worth from.

BringBackStevens 12-03-2009 08:45 AM

When healthy I like the composition of this roster. Leave it be

TheDrizzle81 12-03-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonMTG (Post 22433658)
John Stevens.

I would trade John Stevens for Randy Jones at this point.


Flame on.

TOCxNJ 12-03-2009 09:09 AM

As much as some of us are getting annoyed at Carter this year (myself included), I do feel that it'd be one of the stupidest moves to try and move him. He was second in goals last year and really isn't having that terrible of a season...we are just expecting more from him. I think trading away a guy who was second in goals the prior year is just a flat out mistake...maybe I'm wrong.

Cote, Asham, Pyo, Tollefsen is who I'd consider....however, I'm not sure we'd get great return for any of them. Gagne is a tough one because as much as I consider him a career flyer, I just feel like he doesn't look as motivated as he used to look. I think he really needs to play with a great center/playmaker which I feel we have in Briere and Giroux, but for some reason it didn't seem to work....Gagne used to look as if he would try to "take control" of a game and I don't feel that way anymore. That said, I don't know if we'd get a good enough return to trade him away.

Kinda thinking we leave things the way they are :/

JCameron418 12-03-2009 09:12 AM

Randy Jones

Oh wait....

Lines look fine to me its just the injury stick needs to stay away.

RJ8812 12-03-2009 09:13 AM

Ryan Parent

Haute Couturier 12-03-2009 09:15 AM

Besides Cote, I don't think it makes sense to move anyone on our current roster mid-season.

I think Gagne is expendable in the offseason. Briere is as well because of his cap hit, but his value to the team is probably greater than what they'd receive in a trade.

Wolfy 12-03-2009 09:22 AM

Tolly expendable?? Nooo...he's busy being 7th :D

Just put him on the ice and let him kick some ass on the blueline, and the Flyers will start winning again ;)

Valhoun* 12-03-2009 10:59 AM

Okt.

FlyersRKings 12-03-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhoun (Post 22444722)
Okt.

Agree with that - also with Cote. Forgot about him since he plays so little thankfully.

Speaking of which, I saw a dude at the Blues game a few weeks ago wearing an authentic Cote jersey. Tell me that's not the worst decision ever.

agrudez* 12-04-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfy (Post 22443606)
Tolly expendable?? Nooo...he's busy being 7th :D

Just put him on the ice and let him kick some ass on the blueline, and the Flyers will start winning again ;)

When I heard we signed OKT this offseason I had tempered excitement for him to come. I youtubed his fights and read up about him from CBJ fans and thought he would be an upgrade over Alberts/Jones for the 3rd pairing or a great fill in 7th dman. So far I haven't been dissapointed with his play and don't mind him on the team at all based on his play.

The reason I wouldn't mind seeing him go is because of you. You have made me dislike a player that I would otherwise have either no regard or slightly positive regard for and I don't think I am the only one that feels this way based on how people react when you open your mouth. Next time you see your "boy", let him know what a bang up job you are doing spreading his lore throughout these boards.

mikedifr 12-04-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomark (Post 22434188)
I don't believe in selling low so I'd move Carter over moving Gagne/Briere. In return I would want a scoring winger with good balance and stick skills (we suck on the cycle) and possibly some extras to move at the deadline for a good rental to give us that extra depth I think is vital for us to challenge for the cup.
(Bobby Ryan+ which I mentioned in another thread would be ideal but probably won't happen)
Other than him and prospects/fringe players/picks I don't see who we could move to improve.

And yeah I think now is the time to bring in a new coach, Stevens had his chance last year. I really think we were a better team than Pit for 80% of the time in last years playoffs yet that 20% and some bad luck killed us..
We need someone who keep the players on their toes and helps us perform consistently..

Carter for Bobby Ryan and Todd Marchant (assuming we get an extension on Ryan)

Hartnell Giroux Briere
JVR Richards Ryan

When Gagne comes back either JVR or Hartnell move to the 3rd line with Marchant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOCxNJ (Post 22443490)
As much as some of us are getting annoyed at Carter this year (myself included), I do feel that it'd be one of the stupidest moves to try and move him. He was second in goals last year and really isn't having that terrible of a season...we are just expecting more from him. I think trading away a guy who was second in goals the prior year is just a flat out mistake...maybe I'm wrong.

Cote, Asham, Pyo, Tollefsen is who I'd consider....however, I'm not sure we'd get great return for any of them. Gagne is a tough one because as much as I consider him a career flyer, I just feel like he doesn't look as motivated as he used to look. I think he really needs to play with a great center/playmaker which I feel we have in Briere and Giroux, but for some reason it didn't seem to work....Gagne used to look as if he would try to "take control" of a game and I don't feel that way anymore. That said, I don't know if we'd get a good enough return to trade him away.

Kinda thinking we leave things the way they are :/

I think the only reason anyone would consider Carter "expendable" is because he is going to have much more value in trade than say Gagne or Briere.

PhillyFan4Ever 12-04-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 22443550)
Besides Cote, I don't think it makes sense to move anyone on our current roster mid-season..

ill bet you if you told him to skate to the net, stand there, take cross checks, and swat at loose pucks ( which is by the way... what pronger stated we need to do)

he would do it every minute of his time on ice. if im in charge he stays. he plays more even. his 5:38 TOI against the sabres was very productive in terms of muching and grinding. dirty goals ladies and gentlemen.... dirty goals....

CavemanLawyer 12-04-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agrudez (Post 22470884)
When I heard we signed OKT this offseason I had tempered excitement for him to come. I youtubed his fights and read up about him from CBJ fans and thought he would be an upgrade over Alberts/Jones for the 3rd pairing or a great fill in 7th dman. So far I haven't been dissapointed with his play and don't mind him on the team at all based on his play.

The reason I wouldn't mind seeing him go is because of you. You have made me dislike a player that I would otherwise have either no regard or slightly positive regard for and I don't think I am the only one that feels this way based on how people react when you open your mouth. Next time you see your "boy", let him know what a bang up job you are doing spreading his lore throughout these boards.

:cry: Cry more dude.

:facepalm:

Anyway. Who is expendable? Please..... everyone is for the right price.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.