HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   On the Radio: Pierre McGuire will be in the GM replacement mix (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=710720)

WestIslander 12-04-2009 07:35 AM

Pierre McGuire will be in the GM replacement mix

As per Tony Marinaro last night on the Baton Rouge Habs post game show:

''Pierre McGuire will be in the mix if Bob Gainey is fired''

What do you guys think about this and would you be content with him as GM of our beloved Habs?

Positives:

- He knows talent, knows the game and the players around the league
- He is agressive in his approach and believes in building through the draft
- He understands the CBA and the business side of the game
- He learned from the one and only Scotty Bowman

Negatives:

- He is a closet Maple Leafs fan
- He has verbally ripped the Habs, Habs players, coaching and management for years
- He has no experience as the GM of an NHL team

AntonCH 12-04-2009 07:43 AM

MY Gawd

A dream come true!!
Even though his tenure will be shorter than Gainey's, and will cause us great pain.
I want to see P.Mac get the job.
This way, I can watch others, including myself lob scuds in his direction.
I'm just waiting to see how he handles it.

Habs 4 Life 12-04-2009 07:43 AM

I would prefer McGuire as the next GM,I heard people talk about bringing back Serge Savard and stuff like that.

I'm all in for that move,McGuire or Roy

DougHarvey 12-04-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestIslander (Post 22464383)
As per Tony Marinaro last night on the Baton Rouge Habs post game show:

''Pierre McGuire will be in the mix if Bob Gainey is fired''

What do you guys think about this and would you be content with him as GM of our beloved Habs?

Positives:

- He knows talent, knows the game and the players around the league
- He is agressive in his approach and believes in building through the draft
- He understands the CBA and the business side of the game
- He learned from the one and only Scotty Bowman

Negatives:

- He is a closet Maple Leafs fan
- He has verbally ripped the Habs, Habs players, coaching and management for years
- He has no experience as the GM of an NHL team

No , but he learnt from one of the best . He is a fan of all hockey teams. The man bleeds hockey. People dont like it when he bashes the Habs (neither do I ) but he is usually right. We just cant swallow that we are mediocre.

I dont think I ever heard him rip a Habs player, but he has pointed out the deficiencies in our Pro scouting (our biggest problem). Our development team sucked as well and we are probably on the right track with the staff in Hamilton now.

I also think he would surround himself with great people.Why did the Habs not go after Blair Mackasey.

Habblues 12-04-2009 07:44 AM

He knows every young talented player from Junior to Peewee.....I vote YES !

Habs 4 Life 12-04-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougHarvey (Post 22464446)
No , but he learnt from one of the best . He is a fan of all hockey teams. The man bleeds hockey. People dont like it when he bashes the Habs (neither do I ) but he is usually right. We just cant swallow that we are mediocre.

I dont think I ever heard him rip a Habs player, but he has pointed out the deficiencies in our Pro scouting (our biggest problem). Our development team sucked as well and we are probably on the right track with the staff in Hamilton now.

I also think he would surround himself with great people.Why did the Habs not go after Blair Mackasey.

spot on,once hired he will then bash the Leafs!!

Canadian_Brewtality 12-04-2009 07:47 AM

he is a joke

ever listen to him on Melnick, he is a great arm-chair GM. He thinks he is the only one who said the Gomez trade was bad.

He always says "hey everything is ok according to the reports im reading. Everyone thinks that this is a succesful re-build"

But WHERE are these reports?? Who is saying these things?? All ive read and heard about the canadiens since last January has been nothing but negative. He makes stuff up, he sounds smart after the fact. He has managed to brainwash a big number of habs fans into believing that he is the only one who can set the sail straight. And the he learned under Bowman hype is full of crap because Bowman was a coach, so who cares?

I have no doubt this guy understands the game and players, but he is not the type of man you want leading your franchise.

Dgill 12-04-2009 07:49 AM

He would trade everything the Habs had to acquire Phaneuf.

couris 12-04-2009 07:51 AM

Offer 20 million to Detroit and get Holland outta there.

Chfan 12-04-2009 07:55 AM

He can be VERY over-reactive on TV, which makes him a bit weird and under-appreciated. But the guy knows his thing very very well. I think he might actually do a good job.

Hermit Wizard Eater 12-04-2009 07:57 AM

Pro: Maxine Lapierre is gone.

Frankenheimer 12-04-2009 08:03 AM

I don't like him personally, so it's hard to be objective. Would rather have someone I can at least potentially like. Gainey fits that bill. Let's not forget the goal of these early months: stay close to .500 until Markov arrives. We're succeeding in that modest objective. Very hard to be a good team with all these injuries.

WestIslander 12-04-2009 08:09 AM

I personally think that he would keep the likes of:

- Price
- Subban
- Pacioretty
- Carle
- Cammalleri
- Leblanc
- Gorges
- Gionta

And he would get rid of the dead weight like Gill and Mara, even Gomez and others to acquire picks and prospects, I think he would draft like New Jersey and look around the league to get players like Carter, Richards, Brown, Nash etc.

Turtleneck Plek 12-04-2009 08:10 AM

Well, at least we would draft MONSTERS!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HfKSvJueN9...ot.hmedium.jpg

Em Ancien 12-04-2009 08:12 AM

I don't see the problem.

He'd be in the mix. Like he was in the Minnesota. Doesn't mean he'll be the GM. And if he seems like the best candidate amongst those chosen, I don't see what's the problem.

Not my horse, but it's not like I'm doing the interviews.

BobbyFischer* 12-04-2009 08:14 AM

Pierre McGuire the bald guy from TSN????

ReVeuF 12-04-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 22464441)
I would prefer McGuire as the next GM,I heard people talk about bringing back Serge Savard and stuff like that.

I'm all in for that move,McGuire or Roy

Do not forget Yzerman !!!

My dream would be to have Steve Y. as GM

shutehinside 12-04-2009 08:19 AM

I do have to say that for the most part, the players he likes at the draft do well
as NHLers.

I'm sure he'd make adecent replacement when gainey does step down.

blah blah blah 12-04-2009 08:19 AM

Learned from Scotty Bowman. LMAO.

Ask yourself why this guy hasn't been given a job making hockey decisions in over a decade. And, when he did, it was rather brief.

He'd take an NHL head coaching or GM job in a nanosecond. There's been hundreds of open positions over the years. Yet, hasn't been employed. Maybe, just maybe, he isn't very well respected amongst hockey people. Maybe the people that know more than fans tune his ******** out. And that's what basically McGuire is...a fan.

WestIslander 12-04-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Pierre McGuire the bald guy from TSN????
Are you a hockey fan?

subbanged 12-04-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReVeuF (Post 22464680)

Lets see how he does with canada before we anoint him the GM here

WestIslander 12-04-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

He is being groomed to be Holland's replacement in Detroit!

Habs 4 Life 12-04-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReVeuF (Post 22464680)

I'm sure he would love to be GM some day,most probably after the Olympics,however I have a hard time believing that the job he will take will not be with the Red Wings,once Holland leaves,he will most definitely have the Wings job

Tuggy 12-04-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestIslander (Post 22464727)
He is being groomed to be Holland's replacement in Detroit!

No he's not. Holland will be there for a long time and Yzerman will get a GM job before that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman get a GM job within the year.

And this is stupid since our GM isn't going anywhere.

Guiness time 12-04-2009 08:23 AM

i heard gainey has a 7 million clause if he gets canned plus he'll get paid his remaining years on his current deal. i seriously doubt he gets canned anytime soon.