HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Edge? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=71110)

ddheyman 04-15-2004 05:59 PM

Edge?

You around? Haven't seen you much around here lately ... taking a well deserved vacation?

Just figured I'd ask, miss reading your stuff ...

Edge 04-15-2004 09:20 PM

Been VERY busy with work. We just lost an account supervisor and we're trying to keep things rolling until her replacement starts {next week}.

Other than that there hasn't been much for me to post on. It's that quiet time of year. We aren't in the playoffs, the draft is still 2 months away and there really isn't anything to use as fodder at the moment {that's what THN draft preview is for}.

I'm still here, lurking and waiting.

One thing I will comment on is this: The other day there was a quote from Schoenfeld in an article that talked about guys with less talent that fit better into a team concept and system. Keep that in mind for the draft, the Rangers just tipped their hand a little.

True Blue 04-15-2004 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
One thing I will comment on is this: The other day there was a quote from Schoenfeld in an article that talked about guys with less talent that fit better into a team concept and system. Keep that in mind for the draft, the Rangers just tipped their hand a little.

Lee Fardleau part deux, here we come.

NYR469 04-15-2004 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Lee Fardleau part deux, here we come.

more like andrew ladd over schremp

Burberry Manning 04-15-2004 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
more like andrew ladd over schremp

I dont like it one bit, but if it happens then I will have faith in Ladd and stand behind the pick. I wont curse the selection a year later in hindsight (cough) jessiman and parise (cough)

Burberry Manning 04-15-2004 09:49 PM

Quote:

Personally I dont buy that for a second. You said it yourself, this whole draft is like Poker. And we all know Poker involves alot of bluffing. Just like Ernie Accorsi claims he doesnt intend nor want to trade for the top pick in this year's draft while he is busy getting a #10 jersey stitched for Eli, take everything with a grain of salt.

Edge 04-15-2004 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeding blue
Personally I dont buy that for a second. You said it yourself, this whole draft is like Poker. And we all know Poker involves alot of bluffing. Just like Ernie Accorsi claims he doesnt intend nor want to trade for the top pick in this year's draft while he is busy getting a #10 jersey stitched for Eli, take everything with a grain of salt.

I kind of do. If you look at the draft since Sather took over, they tend to go for fundamentals and guys they can fit into a team concept. Needless to say we have a lot of hard working, though not top line talent guys. That's not to say they won't take Schremp but I don't expect them to go with a guy like say Wolski who looks like he is sleepwalking out there.

I know they came away very impressed with Ladd {as did Columbus} and what the comment means it that if two guys are close in talent you go for the one with better fundamentals even if he doesn't have the top end.

You'll never here me argue that much of the draft is posturing but similar comments where made last year before they took Jessiman and I think you'll see a similar approach this year.

While I've avoided the whole Parise v. Jessiman debate, I'd have to say it's not really fair to comment yet.

Yes Parise is signed, etc. but it's not always the player that gets to the NHL first that is the best player. The Devils have a lot of talent but over the years their team has gotten smaller and smaller and it's killing them this year.

The only fair way to look at the picks is in the year 2008. You have to give each draft about 5 years to judge them.

jas 04-15-2004 10:33 PM

Question?

Quote:

I kind of do. If you look at the draft since Sather took over, they tend to go for fundamentals and guys they can fit into a team concept. Needless to say we have a lot of hard working, though not top line talent guys. That's not to say they won't take Schremp but I don't expect them to go with a guy like say Wolski who looks like he is sleepwalking out there.

I know they came away very impressed with Ladd {as did Columbus} and what the comment means it that if two guys are close in talent you go for the one with better fundamentals even if he doesn't have the top end.

You'll never here me argue that much of the draft is posturing but similar comments where made last year before they took Jessiman and I think you'll see a similar approach this year.

While I've avoided the whole Parise v. Jessiman debate, I'd have to say it's not really fair to comment yet.

Yes Parise is signed, etc. but it's not always the player that gets to the NHL first that is the best player. The Devils have a lot of talent but over the years their team has gotten smaller and smaller and it's killing them this year.

The only fair way to look at the picks is in the year 2008. You have to give each draft about 5 years to judge them.

If the Hawks take Barker at three, and you've noted that Columbus is leaning towards taking a player out of the WHL, and Olesz is sitting at #4, do you think it's possible Sather swaps picks with the BJs, (adding, say, a 2nd), for the chance at taking Olesz, while Columbus grabs Ladd at 6?

NYR469 04-15-2004 10:46 PM

Quote:

I dont like it one bit, but if it happens then I will have faith in Ladd and stand behind the pick. I wont curse the selection a year later in hindsight (cough) jessiman and parise (cough)

if the rangers took parise, you'd probably now be complaining about how the rangers picked another 'smurf' when they needed a power forward

free0717 04-15-2004 10:57 PM

Quote:

if the rangers took parise, you'd probably now be complaining about how the rangers picked another 'smurf' when they needed a power forward

Rangers knew Jessiman is a project however Parise will never be Jessiman. Jessiman will be the Power Forward the Rangers have coveted for years.

Edge 04-16-2004 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas
If the Hawks take Barker at three, and you've noted that Columbus is leaning towards taking a player out of the WHL, and Olesz is sitting at #4, do you think it's possible Sather swaps picks with the BJs, (adding, say, a 2nd), for the chance at taking Olesz, while Columbus grabs Ladd at 6?

It might be possible because, though I can't see them passing on Olesz either. Though if it means adding say a second round pick just to move down two spots, they might be willing to do it.

Burberry Manning 04-16-2004 04:20 AM

Quote:

Hey Im on the Jessiman side. I supported the selection of Jessiman over Parise than and I support it now. Maybe you misunderstood the intentions of my post, or maybe I am misunderstanding yours.

Burberry Manning 04-16-2004 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free0717
Rangers knew Jessiman is a project however Parise will never be Jessiman. Jessiman will be the Power Forward the Rangers have coveted for years.

Lets hope so. I for one think that Hugh will turn out to be a fantastic player for our club. With some top of the line coaching and a good selection of talent around him, he should be able to develop properly and tap into that enormous potential.

Bluenote13 04-16-2004 10:56 AM

Quote:

Lets hope so. I for one think that Hugh will turn out to be a fantastic player for our club. With some top of the line coaching and a good selection of talent around him, he should be able to develop properly and tap into that enormous potential.

It's not just talent around him that will make Hugh successful in Pro Hockey. It's guys like Ladd who'll be safeguards for having a Jessiman on the ice. Don't get me wrong, i'd love it if Hugh became a complete two way PF. But i'm not holding my breath. :snide: