HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Steve Mason nostalgia thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=711717)

Eric 12-07-2009 02:21 AM

The Steve Mason nostalgia thread

In light of Mase's early season struggles, I bring to you videos of his dominance last year to remind us that he is and will be capable of turning this season around.

Let's go Mase!

jktsfan* 12-07-2009 05:11 AM

A turnaround? This I want to see.

KeithBWhittington 12-07-2009 06:57 AM

eeriely similar to what happened under Freddie Norrena and Pascal Leclaire year two of their respective Hitchcock years....

Last season was smoke and mirrors

I don't doubt Mason has the tools to be a good, solid NHL goaltender, but last year will go down as his best statistical NHL season...

I mean c'mon, the guys not going to sniff ten shutouts again.....

jacketsgeek 12-07-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington (Post 22518028)
eeriely similar to what happened under Freddie Norrena and Pascal Leclaire year two of their respective Hitchcock years....

Hitch has messed up the goalie...:facepalm:

CapnCornelius 12-07-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington (Post 22518028)

Last season was smoke and mirrors

I don't doubt Mason has the tools to be a good, solid NHL goaltender, but last year will go down as his best statistical NHL season...

I mean c'mon, the guys not going to sniff ten shutouts again.....

I don't know about this, but for all the focus on Niki's sense of entitlement, no one seems to be focusing on Saint Steve's attitude problem. But, I'm sure he really had muscle cramps the day of Hockeyfest, why do you ask? :sarcasm:

Carey Price went through a similar thing last year, so hopefully Mase can get his head back on straight.

Fro 12-07-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 22518176)
I don't know about this, but for all the focus on Niki's sense of entitlement, no one seems to be focusing on Saint Steve's attitude problem. But, I'm sure he really had muscle cramps the day of Hockeyfest, why do you ask? :sarcasm:

EgoSpasms :D

KeithBWhittington 12-07-2009 08:10 AM

Just switch in another goaltender and this team will be fine...

Then watch Hitchcock ride that goaltender into the ground and then next season we can wonder why that goaltender looks like Marc Denis....

Feicht 12-07-2009 08:12 AM

Come now Capn, surely you know Canadian players can't possibly have ego problems? :sarcasm:

IBleedUnionBlue 12-07-2009 08:18 AM

The point of professional competition is to win.

Stevie Mason can take his tantrums and ego and collect splinters on his backside for all I care.

KeithBWhittington 12-07-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg (Post 22518399)
The point of professional competition is to win.

Stevie Mason cant take his tantrums and ego and collect splinters on his backside for all I care.

Is Russia an option to find his game?? :sarcasm:

CBJBrassard16 12-07-2009 02:51 PM

the reason why hes struggling is because he changed masks :sarcasm:

Ar-too 12-07-2009 02:55 PM

What this thread needs is more :sarcasm: emoticons.

Mason's struggles just show that Hitch only gets lucky with goalies once per year. :sarcasm:

frito 12-07-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 22522892)
the reason why hes struggling is because he changed masks :sarcasm:

No, no, no. His girlfriend needs to kiss him and give him mono again.:sarcasm:

Doug19 12-07-2009 05:34 PM

So much positive energy in this thread. Like it or not, Steve Mason is the franchise in net, and the sophomore slump shouldn't catch anybody by surprise, most rookies go through this. And did he really throw a temper tantrum? I don't think so, everybody gets pissed off once in a while and just has to throw/hit something. It's not like he whines about his team to the press or whatever. He will pull out of this; the team will pull out of this.

trooper 12-07-2009 05:50 PM

:dunno:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DougRiffle (Post 22525203)
So much positive energy in this thread. Like it or not, Steve Mason is the franchise in net, and the sophomore slump shouldn't catch anybody by surprise, most rookies go through this. And did he really throw a temper tantrum? I don't think so, everybody gets pissed off once in a while and just has to throw/hit something. It's not like he whines about his team to the press or whatever. He will pull out of this; the team will pull out of this.

I thought LeClaire was the franchise in net (according to DMGM)...? :sarcasm:

I personally like to see the goalie pissed. I don't, however, want him to either lose faith in or throw the D under the bus. Not sure what the problem is right now...I wonder if he got too comfy with the idea that he IS the franchise...

Hipster Letestu 12-07-2009 06:07 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=4722431

Point #2 is about Mase

Doug19 12-07-2009 09:48 PM

I never heard him throw any of the defenders under the bus...I mean I'd lose respect for Mason if he didn't acknowledge that the defense hasn't been great in-front of him this year. I'd also say Mason has deserved to be considered the franchise goalie a lot more than Leclaire did.

Robert 12-07-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougRiffle (Post 22532434)
I never heard him throw any of the defenders under the bus...I mean I'd lose respect for Mason if he didn't acknowledge that the defense hasn't been great in-front of him this year. I'd also say Mason has deserved to be considered the franchise goalie a lot more than Leclaire did.

The best I can find is this:

Quote:

We haven’t played well the entire season,” he said. “There were poor choices, turnovers, not winning board battles – stuff we’ve been talking about all year. The Red Wings really highlighted that for us tonight.
That was after the Detroit debacle...he also called out the fans...

Per Puck-Raker archives.

Nidema 12-08-2009 12:53 AM

Hey guys,

Habs fan coming in peace. I can relate to the pain you guys are having concerning Mason. Carey Price experienced a similar drop in performance last year. Remember, those guys are are still very young. Mason definitely has the skill to turn it around. I remember last year, everyone was saying price was washed up and how Mason was better than Price. This year it seems to be the other way around. It just shows you how much situations in hockey can turn around.

Don't get discouraged. Mason has to be given competition from Garon by the coaching staff. Thats what the habs did with Price and it has worked out great for us so far.

Good luck!

KeithBWhittington 12-08-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidema (Post 22535286)
Hey guys,

Habs fan coming in peace. I can relate to the pain you guys are having concerning Mason. Carey Price experienced a similar drop in performance last year. Remember, those guys are are still very young. Mason definitely has the skill to turn it around. I remember last year, everyone was saying price was washed up and how Mason was better than Price. This year it seems to be the other way around. It just shows you how much situations in hockey can turn around.

Don't get discouraged. Mason has to be given competition from Garon by the coaching staff. Thats what the habs did with Price and it has worked out great for us so far.

Good luck!

Welcome...

I agree it was good to bring in a vetern like Garon to spell Mason, but Hitchcock has a tendency to ride goaltenders and thats no different.. fans and media have called on the coach to give Garon more games, but he's rebuffed all of them so far...

mt-svk 12-08-2009 02:26 PM

Steve has not good season. But the true is our defense does not help him.
I believe that in thenext season Steve will be Steve from his first season. :nod: And maybe already in this season. :nod:

Feicht 12-08-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt-svk (Post 22541690)
Steve has not good season. But the true is our defense does not help him.
I believe that in thenext season Steve will be Steve from his first season. :nod: And maybe already in this season. :nod:

Well if he isn't in this season, we're ****ed ;)

cpmCBJ 12-08-2009 10:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_to_the_mean

Eric 12-09-2009 12:21 AM

The turn around starts tomorrow. I can feel it.