HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larry Brooks: Since 10/17,Rangers 2nd worst team in NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=712203)

RangerBoy 12-08-2009 03:55 PM

Since 10/17,Rangers 2nd worst team in NHL

Larry Brooks had this on twitter

Quote:

Oct. 17 Rangers were 7-1. Since, Rangers 7-13-1, 29th overall, ahead of only 4-13-4 Carolina in that span.
http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

29th overall!!!:help:

Didn't think it was that bad.

NYR Viper 12-08-2009 03:59 PM

The only think i can do when I hear this is laugh.....literally.

pld459666 12-08-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 22543111)
Larry Brooks had this on twitter

http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

29th overall!!!:help:

Didn't think it was that bad.

it looked like that in the way they played as well.

The Perfect Paradox 12-08-2009 04:17 PM

Not surprising. Look on the bright side, as fans we won't have as high expectations for the rest of the season. :cry:

UAGoalieGuy 12-08-2009 04:34 PM

Taylor Hall! Taylor Hall! Taylor Hall! lol

bobbop 12-08-2009 04:39 PM

This could turn out to be the kind of year where the win now crowd and the draftniks can co-exist. With teams in the Western Conference collecting far more points right now, the Rangers are tied for 23rd overall with Minnesota and the Islanders but only one point out of a playoff spot.

I Am Chariot 12-08-2009 04:43 PM

The scarey part is carolina has been without its two best players in Staal and Ward.

Nick00 12-08-2009 04:46 PM

Not at all surprising.
Our current record is very misleading because of that flukey 7-1 start to the season.
If we had actually started the season at an average pace, we would be in 14th place right now.

silverfish 12-08-2009 05:06 PM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506411

Never too early to start looking into the top 5 picks for this year

:cry:

:sarcasm:

offdacrossbar 12-08-2009 05:35 PM

really thats the headline i would have expected had the one before it read....

gaborik looking to return from serious groin injury after missing last 6 weeks

we really. do. suk.

Ranger Angst 12-08-2009 05:40 PM

Wish we could play Philly before they turn it around.

ColonialsHockey10 12-08-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfish (Post 22544158)
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=506411

Never too early to start looking into the top 5 picks for this year

:cry:

:sarcasm:

It certainly is a good draft to suck. I'd be incredibly happy with any of Seguin, Hall, Kabanov or Tarenseko.

I don't think we will be a lottery team though.

bmw2004 12-08-2009 07:31 PM

Lets keep it this way.

broadwayblue 12-08-2009 09:41 PM

Imagine if we actually finished in the bottom 5...got a stud player in the draft, dealt Rozy over the summer, signed a couple legit 2nd liners...nah, never happen. lol

In The Flesh 12-08-2009 09:41 PM

Simply put, this team stinks!

Tawnos 12-08-2009 10:00 PM

Unless something is really terribly wrong with this team (something I'm not ruling out, but don't believe yet), this is meaningless.

They weren't as good as they were after winning 7 in a row. They're not as bad as they have been in this stretch either.

trilobyte 12-09-2009 12:09 AM

Well, for me surprise is not the word.

Actually, I never thought it was that bad, but statistics don't lie.

Since offseason 2007, I thought it was identified that the requirements were:

a big and talented defenseman who actually enjoys hitting people. It's really obvious that you cannot teach some players to have the chip on the shoulder and the dislike of the opponent that is sorely needed, and that leads to great things through leadership and example. Every good team has at least one of those defencemen.

a top 6 forward who plays physically enough (like but obviously not quite a Getzlaf, or Richards, or...), maybe a player along the lines of Rich Peverley.
Yes, I know they don't fall off trees and you don't get them for nothing. Obviously, the reason I mention Peverley is because he has already shown he is a producer. Perhaps that is why I work in IT and not in professional hockey.
We have Gaborik, but where is the forward (other than Prospal) who actually scores goals and does not consider it something like a total eclipse of the sun because it is that rare.

No reason to be surprised right now. Neither of these two very identifiable roster needs have been fulfilled.

How come we have to keep waiting, like Sather just forgot to pick something up at the grocery store.
Improving the team over this season and next doesn't mean giving up the farm, quite the opposite. It means using all the hard work that resulted in being so deep in prospects, to your advantage.
The really good prospects will have their chance.

Carl Hagelins Flow 12-09-2009 12:10 AM

I don't know why it's so hard for some of you guys to understand this...

We won those first 7 because we were a team that was well prepared coming out of training camp who was playing an entirely new system. No one knew what to expect from us. Other teams started more slowly and had some trouble getting going which also contributed to us "seeming" better.

The truth of the matter is, once we played a few games, teams were able to scout us and see how our new uptempo system worked and that's all she wrote. Torts system is a 1-trick pony and with rookie defense and mediocre talent aside from Gaborik and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd line grinders it doesn't even work well.

Now we are playing a pseudo-Renney style which I think is partly necessary, back to the same old snooze fest though... and we aren't even winning games playing defense-first with light forecheck.

This team looks like they're the 06-07 Jagr year... offense is made by 1 person, except Gaborik can't make ice for himself like Jagr could...Gaborik needs a playmaker.

Nick00 12-09-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR (Post 22552721)
pseudo-Renney

Ok reading that made me laugh out loud a little :laugh:
It's true though, these past two games I could have sworn it was Tom Renney behind the bench.
On Sunday I was expecting us to hang on to that tie just long enough to go to the shootout, with a defenseman or some other "unlikely hero" ultimately winning it for us in the 6th round.

It didn't work though.... like last year the defense-first system just stifled an already struggling, talent-deficient offensive game, only to have it all fall apart in the last 5 minutes.
It wasn't even successful 2007 Renney hockey.
It was shaky, unconfident, and desperate Renney hockey from the winter of last season.
Not a good feeling.

chosen 12-09-2009 08:14 AM

Let's rebuild again!!!!

Sather rocks.

WhipNash27 12-09-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR (Post 22552721)
I don't know why it's so hard for some of you guys to understand this...

We won those first 7 because we were a team that was well prepared coming out of training camp who was playing an entirely new system. No one knew what to expect from us. Other teams started more slowly and had some trouble getting going which also contributed to us "seeming" better.

The truth of the matter is, once we played a few games, teams were able to scout us and see how our new uptempo system worked and that's all she wrote. Torts system is a 1-trick pony and with rookie defense and mediocre talent aside from Gaborik and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd line grinders it doesn't even work well.

Now we are playing a pseudo-Renney style which I think is partly necessary, back to the same old snooze fest though... and we aren't even winning games playing defense-first with light forecheck.

This team looks like they're the 06-07 Jagr year... offense is made by 1 person, except Gaborik can't make ice for himself like Jagr could...Gaborik needs a playmaker.

Therefore, we need a new system every 8 games :).

Trxjw 12-09-2009 08:54 AM

Wait, I thought the coaching change fixed all of these problems. Looks like "safe is death" ran out of lives.

bmw2004 12-09-2009 09:01 AM

Sorry, but I am tired guys. Every new season I have big expectations from New York Rangers and then instead of success there is yet another big disappointment. Players come and go; new coaches come with new attitude, trying to implement a new system. Nothing works for them and for us. I need a new team to root for. Please don't tell me that I am not a true die-hard Rangers Fan.

94now 12-09-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 22555064)
Wait, I thought the coaching change fixed all of these problems. Looks like "safe is death" ran out of lives.

MacT is available.

HAPPY HOUR 12-09-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw2004 (Post 22555127)
Sorry, but I am tired guys. Every new season I have big expectations from New York Rangers and then instead of success there is yet another big disappointment. Players come and go; new coaches come with new attitude, trying to implement a new system. Nothing works for them and for us. I need a new team to root for. Please don't tell me that I am not a true die-hard Rangers Fan.

Thats where your problem starts and ends.