HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I'm tired of this anthem booing BS! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=71241)

BigM1ke 04-16-2004 01:46 AM

I'm tired of this BS!! (National Anthems)

When will people realize that hockey isn't politic and that the people booing the US anthem in Montreal (the minority that is doing it) are booing the BOSTON BRUINS and not THE USA!!!

It's not that hard to understand I think!! People hate the Bruins so they boo their national anthem... Boston... USA....You don't get it??? It's nothing against the country!!! And now everyones makes a big deal about this.... Since the 9/11 incident, it just seems that the USA are freaking out if they hear someone boo their anthem. People that paid hundreds bucks to see the game don't care about the war in Iraq or stuff like that when they are at the Bell Center... .What they care about is the Bruins Habs matchup and nothing else! And they all hate the Bruins!!

And, btw, the people at Boston only cheered our Canadian anthem so that way they would be able to say they are classy and better than Montreal fans. They honestly don't give a "%"$" about Canada so let's just give this big Anthem thing a break, this is really getting more stupid each day. So much talk about nothing!

This is hockey, not politics for christ sake!!

Necrophile 04-16-2004 01:50 AM

They shouldn't play the national anthems before the games anymore. Or at the very least, they should only play the home team's anthem.

This isn't the olympics!

Team_Spirit 04-16-2004 01:57 AM

They only play both anthem if it's a playoffs game with a canadian franchise VS an American one .

Some place they do both all year like in Buffalo :clap:

People who booed the U.S anthem is because they are little people who watch too much TQS , CKOI and Quebecor **** . They also like Star Academie and they are against war in Irak .

BigM1ke 04-16-2004 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
They only play both anthem if it's a playoffs game with a canadian franchise VS an American one .

People who booed the U.S anthem is because they are little people who watch too much TQS , CKOI and Quebecor **** . They also like Star Academie and they are against war in Irak .

You don't get it!!! It's not about the war in Iraq or Star Académie.... it's about the freaking hockey game!!!!!!!

People take this way too deep!! The one that were booing were booing USA because Boston is in the USA and cheering Canada because the Habs are in Canada!!! That's not hard to understand! :banghead:

Team_Spirit 04-16-2004 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big M1ke
You don't get it!!! It's not about the war in Iraq or Star Académie.... it's about the freaking hockey game!!!!!!!

People take this way too deep!! The one that were booing were booing USA because Boston is in the USA and cheering Canada because the Habs are in Canada!!! That's not hard to understand! :banghead:

No i remember when they booed them anthem in regualr season it was the day after the attack or something like that . And the 2nd part is because they are brainwashed and don't respect anything .

Catala 04-16-2004 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej

i am against the war in irak, but wouldn't have booed the antem and never will.

politics should remain out of a hockey building.

Brisebois 04-16-2004 02:13 AM

Quote:

Yes it is. Which is why you would be allowed to burn a Bruins flag in public, but not an American flag. When fans boo a national anthem, even if they don't mean it as an insult to the other country, it still looks pretty horrible. Try picturing it the other way around. Imagine someone from another country would staple Paul Martin's hand to his cheek, you would laugh like hell and pat the guy on the back.

That's not the point. The point is that other people THINK that you are booing the entire USA and not just Bruins fans. On the other hand, if you would wait until the anthem was over respectfully, and then as soon as it was finished hire an opera singer with a voice that sounds like a foghorn to start singing 'Joe Thornton's stick has hit more bodies than touched the puck...' you would get a resounding cheer, not only from Hab fans, but from around the country.

Another reason you shouldn't boo the star-spangled banner is because we have several US-born players, like Komisarek and Dowd, and by booing their country, you are - in a sense - booing them. So save the boos for when they announce the Bruins starting lineup. Then, send in the cavalry.

Lafleur always stood respectfully at the National Anthem and never booed. But he was a hockey player with no teeth... so it was hard to boo anyway.

Team_Spirit 04-16-2004 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catala
i am against the war in irak, but wouldn't have booed the antem and never will.

politics should remain out of a hockey building.

and that's what everyone should think :thumbu:

Mad-Marcus 04-16-2004 06:50 AM

Quote:

When will people realize that hockey isn't politic and that the people booing the US anthem in Montreal (the minority that is doing it) are booing the BOSTON BRUINS and not THE USA!!!

It's not that hard to understand I think!! People hate the Bruins so they boo their national anthem... Boston... USA....You don't get it??? It's nothing against the country!!! And now everyones makes a big deal about this.... Since the 9/11 incident, it just seems that the USA are freaking out if they hear someone boo their anthem. People that paid hundreds bucks to see the game don't care about the war in Iraq or stuff like that when they are at the Bell Center... .What they care about is the Bruins Habs matchup and nothing else! And they all hate the Bruins!!

And, btw, the people at Boston only cheered our Canadian anthem so that way they would be able to say they are classy and better than Montreal fans. They honestly don't give a "%"$" about Canada so let's just give this big Anthem thing a break, this is really getting more stupid each day. So much talk about nothing!

You're missing the point Big Guy, stop being an apologist for bad manners.
If you hate a team, boo their player when they get aanounced and everytime they touch the puck. Booing anybodies national anthem is just plain bad manners. It's a reflection on ones upbringing and an embarrassment for ones people as a whole.

And yes the Boston fans did put on a show for everybody, but sincere or not it left a better impression than booing.

mcphee 04-16-2004 07:40 AM

I would prefer that anthems not be played. I think the patriotism shoved into sporting events, while traditional, is forced and a bit phony. Problem is, if you discontinue the practice now, because of events like this, it's as if you're giving in to ill mannered louts. You can't legislate good behaviour and we'll grow old trying to analyze it, but I'd hate to give a jackass a feeling of power.

2112 04-16-2004 07:59 AM

Holly crap...I wish people would just GET OVER IT!!!! Why is it that everytime I come on HFBoards there is always 5 new threads about how the Habs are classless, divers, etc. Why can't we focus on the positive, talk about Game 6? :banghead: :banghead:

PEOPLE WAKE UP and quit bashing the Habs!

QcS 04-16-2004 12:52 PM

i'm with those saying that National anthems should NOT be played before games.

Leave the patriotism and politics for other forums.

tnq 04-16-2004 01:06 PM

ha ha
B's fans try to make story about this. When a B's fan come to playoff game, he just cheers loudly the canadian anthem then leaves because after that it is a shame. I find it is very funny about this story. Every fan wants to talk about their favorite player, how about the show tonight but B's fans prefer to compare about Habs fans and B's fans, how bad the urinal in Bell center blah blah blah.... :D :lol

Aarex 04-16-2004 01:14 PM

Its fine to boo the bruins, but why boo during the national athem? boo when they touch the puck ect...but don't embrass the rest of canada.

Blind Gardien 04-16-2004 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leph28
i'm with those saying that National anthems should NOT be played before games.
Leave the patriotism and politics for other forums.

I think they should have anthems before the games. It kind of gets the fans and everybody to stand up and take notice that "hey! the game is about to start!". It's just a good announcement of the imminent drop of the puck. A rallying point to collect all those loose motes of fandom drifting around pre-game.

That said, it shouldn't be *national* anthems. It could be just team anthems. Then you can booooo to your heart's content when the other team's anthem plays, and it's perfectly clear what the booing's all about. In fact, you should only have to play the anthem of the team which won the last meeting between the two teams. You don't get your anthem back until you beat them.

The official anthem of the Montreal Canadiens should be...

QcS 04-16-2004 01:23 PM

"c'est le temps des vacances"

they can get it after saturday's game.

:D

Mad-Marcus 04-16-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
The official anthem of the Montreal Canadiens should be...

Holy Diver by Dio :D

V-2 Schneider 04-16-2004 01:37 PM

The Montreal fans who booed are scum, and should be treated as scummy punks.Big Mike, you are dolt for starting this thread.Considering how many asswipes there are around Concordia that seem to get off on Arab suicide bombers, and the torching of Montreal Jewish cultural centres, nah, there's no politics involved in the booing of a NATIONAL anthem in a city ripe with punks of all ages doing their best to show solidarity to jihadis.It's one sick culture that thinks it's acceptable, and the Gillet ought to keep playing the anthem again and again until the booing stops.Barring that, Koivu should skate off the ice with all the players in tow, and give a collective finger to the "best fans in hockey".

chicpea* 04-16-2004 01:49 PM

Yes, but does he like them?

bb_fan 04-16-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

no, i think u dont get it.

It might be intended to Boo the Bruins, and might be intended to be a political statemt, one will never really know.

But regardless of the INETENTION of the booing, what it is doing is disrespecting and booing the a symbol of my country (or whom evers anthem is being booed), and that symbol happnes to represent pride in your country, and pride for people who have served in the armed forces, have died in the armed forces for that anthem, and for the people currently serving for that anthem.

that is who it disrecpts, regardless of who it is intended upon.

tk421 04-16-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

It’s about respect. Respect for the people from the US involved in your organization.

Your owner is from the US,
Jim Dowd is from the US
Mike Komisareck is from the US

BigM1ke 04-16-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk421
It’s about respect. Respect for the people from the US involved in your organization.

Your owner is from the US,
Jim Dowd is from the US
Mike Komisareck is from the US

Even Dowd said it wasn't a big of a deal!! He said himself that the fans were booing the Bruins and it wasn't disturbing him!

Transplanted Caper 04-16-2004 04:24 PM

heres a simple solution to the problem of anthem booing. Whether its booing the U.S. or the Bruins,,,,,the solution is..........JUST DONT BOO THE ANTHEM

Uber Coca 04-16-2004 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003
heres a simple solution to the problem of anthem booing. Whether its booing the U.S. or the Bruins,,,,,the solution is..........JUST DONT BOO THE ANTHEM

I guess that's what some of you guys are not understanding, it's a damn minority who are booing the anthem, I won't boo the anthem, like no one else on the board, but what can we do? If 50 dickless piece of ***** come to the Bell Centre and boo the anthem, it's 50 persons booing the anthem...

imox77 04-16-2004 05:07 PM

The ones who did it are scum!! Go down to Boston and do it!! Come to NY and do it show some balls!! See what happens to you scum!!!

There is too much of a French influence up there.

Maybee its jelousy. What happens if Canada was invaded???? The USA would defend them because they cannot defend themselves, but some of you scum have the balls to boo our national anthem!!! Your are nothing!! and can only do it from a distance!!! You would'nt do it if there Boston or NY fans or any fans of an American team fans in your face!! You who disgraced your selves just showed how weak you are!!

You should boo your weak players who do not play hockey w/ toughness the way its supposed to be!!
There would be no NHL without America!!!!!!
:bruins