HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Jovanovski suspended for 2 games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=712452)

Piokinen 12-09-2009 10:08 AM

Jovanovski suspended for 2 games

as per NHL.com: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=509207

Colt45Blast 12-09-2009 11:04 AM

There goes the winning streak. First were struggling to win with injuries and now someone we get back from injury can't play against LA and SJ.
I can't be a homer on this since the suspension is deserving on Jovo's end and we might lose Fiddler too to suspension for that scrap that could led to Tippett getting fined as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alamo 12-09-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaPride (Post 22556547)
There goes the winning streak. First were struggling to win with injuries and now someone we get back from injury can't play against LA and SJ.
I can't be a homer on this since the suspension is deserving on Jovo's end and we might lose Fiddler too to suspension for that scrap that could led to Tippett getting fined as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would Tippett get fined? Must have missed something.

Colt45Blast 12-09-2009 11:29 AM

From what I understand and some Coyotes fans are twitter were saying that instigating a fight after a game has ended leads to a player getting suspended and the coach being fined.
Posted via Mobile Device

yakko 12-09-2009 11:34 AM

Here's the NHL Rule:
Quote:

47.22 Fines and Suspensions – Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time (or Anytime in Overtime) - A player or goalkeeper who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at anytime in overtime, shall automatically be suspended for one game. The Director of Hockey Operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. This suspension shall be served in addition to any other automatic suspensions a player may incur for an accumulation of three or more instigator penalties.

When the one-game suspension is imposed, the Coach shall be fined $10,000 – a fine that will double for each subsequent incident.

No team appeals will be permitted either verbally or in writing regarding the assessment of this automatic suspension.

mouser 12-09-2009 11:35 AM

That's all correct [players receive an auto-suspension and coach fined], however Fiddler didn't receive an Instigator penalty according to the boxscore.

yakko 12-09-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouser (Post 22556986)
That's all correct [players receive an auto-suspension and coach fined], however Fiddler didn't receive an Instigator penalty according to the boxscore.

And I would hope not. It looked to me like Sheppard started that fight. Fiddler just finished it.

Colt45Blast 12-09-2009 11:39 AM

Then that's good news, something the twitters should know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guest 12-09-2009 12:36 PM

Not ideal, but not the end of the world (or the winning streak). It's probably decent timing since Jovo just came back from injury and it will give him a couple of games rest.

Do they recall Schlemko now to fill the extra spot on D?

Piokinen 12-09-2009 12:38 PM

Schlemko has never been send down. He got scratched on Monday in favour of Lepisto.

Guest 12-09-2009 12:45 PM

Oh, I had assumed when Z & Jovo came back he was demoted -- well then David Schlemko, lace 'em up!

DouX 12-09-2009 03:58 PM

Great he gets suspended right in time for two huge games against division rivals. Not good.

Dolemite 12-09-2009 04:29 PM

I don't like this suspension one bit. Here's why:

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2009/12/09...oblem-with-it/

Quote:

The refs let them go too so there wouldn't be a suspension based on that alone. It was inevitable that a fight was going to break out before or at the end of the game.

PHX FireBirds18 12-09-2009 04:35 PM

Both those hits should of deserved suspensions. I'm fine with Jovo getting the suspension. It sucks, but he clearly popped him in the head.

Art.Vandelay 12-09-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaPride (Post 22556547)
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not as worried as I would have been a month ago. I think Schlemko has done a nice job filling in when Z and Jovo were hurt.

Colt45Blast 12-09-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay (Post 22563023)
I'm not as worried as I would have been a month ago. I think Schlemko has done a nice job filling in when Z and Jovo were hurt.

If it were against anyone but LA and SJ I would agree.

We lost 2 close games to LA without having our D 100%

With Jovo and Z in the lineup vs SJ in our 1st match up it was scoreless going to the shootout.

No way the Coyotes will get a breakaway or point blank chance on Nabby as long as their top D-Men eat alot of minutes in that game.

Heatley Marleau and Jumbo Joe are going to rip right through our D without Jovo and Z playing side by side.

Our only hope is if the Yotes can pull a Chicago on this team.:help:

rt 12-09-2009 06:40 PM

I am not a fan of head hunting. Jovo went right for the head. If anyone is angry about the suspension, that displeasure should be directed at Jovanovski, himself, for using such poor judgement.

CHRDANHUTCH 12-09-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

reason why: judgment call the refs didn't see the Sheppard/Fiddler melee as it happened after the whistle blew ...

yakko 12-09-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH (Post 22564775)
reason why: judgment call the refs didn't see the Sheppard/Fiddler melee as it happened after the whistle blew ...

It doesn't matter if the refs saw it or not to Fiddler or Tippett. Even if they had seen the fight break out, Fiddler didn't instigate it.

60DegreesIsCold 12-10-2009 01:36 AM

He deserves it, but I was hoping we'd get lucky and benefit from the wild inconsistency and randomness of NHL discipline. Two games seems fair.

I would've been pissed if Fiddler had been suspended though. Suspensions should be reserved for dangerous plays.

white_tiger 12-10-2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 22563499)
I am not a fan of head hunting. Jovo went right for the head. If anyone is angry about the suspension, that displeasure should be directed at Jovanovski, himself, for using such poor judgement.

I don't see it that way.. Jovos hands were at his own shoulder level and the guy he hit was leaning forward with his head down... So is Jovo supposed to contort himself when the guy he is getting ready to check leans forward? It isn;t like he through a forarm at the guys head. He just ran him down... same hit we see Jovo and Doan and Winnik do all the time..

NHL is getting to wussy on some of these.. If they are not going to call it the same way EVERY time for suspenisons don;t do them at all unless there was an on ice call made.. But it is BS to suspend for something that never drew a call

white_tiger 12-10-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH (Post 22564775)

How could they not? They were standing in the middle of it.. Sheppard was looking for a fight since th ehit and got one..

indczn 12-10-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white_tiger (Post 22573507)
I don't see it that way.. Jovos hands were at his own shoulder level and the guy he hit was leaning forward with his head down... So is Jovo supposed to contort himself when the guy he is getting ready to check leans forward? It isn;t like he through a forarm at the guys head. He just ran him down... same hit we see Jovo and Doan and Winnik do all the time..

NHL is getting to wussy on some of these.. If they are not going to call it the same way EVERY time for suspenisons don;t do them at all unless there was an on ice call made.. But it is BS to suspend for something that never drew a call

I completely disagree. The refs can't, and don't see everything. The issue is the inconsistency with the leagues issuance of suspensions.

XX 12-10-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indczn (Post 22577025)
The refs can't, and don't see everything.

This was a super-obvious thing, though.

I hope Jovo takes it in stride and doesn't come back a softie. When he plays physical the whole team takes his cue.

GalenYote 12-10-2009 02:00 PM

Here are my thoughts on the hit :

Jovo's arms we off of his body when the hit was initiated, not by much but enough. The hand and forearm extended into the head through the completion of the hit. There was visible indicators the head was hit (ie blood). So it doesn’t surprise me that he was suspended for it. Now if he kept his arms in and used his considerable mass to deliver the hit and not extend his arms, it would have be considered a good hit and nothing would happen. Years of training and natural instinct cause people to push off when delivering a hit and when that is in the head area it will make it look like it was intentional. I think the Wild did a good job of not responding right away on it and drawing an instigator penalty. It was one of those borderline hits and ends up on the wrong side because of the follow-through and where the player was injured. It comes at a bad time, but in this league there is never a good time. It will be interesting to see if we can pull of two wins and to see if we Jovo cop back on another scoring streak.