HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Toe and foot numbness during games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=712914)

gintonic 12-10-2009 02:57 PM

Toe and foot numbness during games

Lately in games, towards the end, I've been getting a lot of toe numbness or tingling. I've tried not tying skates as tight, different socks, etc., but still happens. Does this happen to anyone else? what's the fix?

I have noticed that it seems when I wear DriFit socks it's worse, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

greech 12-10-2009 03:02 PM

Try 2 things. First, wear no socks. Also, are you taping your thighs, shinguards, or ankles? That may have a role in it. Tying skates loser may not be the answer, but proper lacing is important. There's tons of topics on proper skate tying, that is a big part.

gintonic 12-10-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greech (Post 22579553)
Try 2 things. First, wear no socks. Also, are you taping your thighs, shinguards, or ankles? That may have a role in it. Tying skates loser may not be the answer, but proper lacing is important. There's tons of topics on proper skate tying, that is a big part.

Thanks. Is there a thread here entitled Proper Skate Tying? Not sure how to use these search features here.

CuteHockeyBunny 12-10-2009 03:05 PM

Are they new skates? This happens with new skates.

gintonic 12-10-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny (Post 22579597)
Are they new skates? This happens with new skates.

Fairly new, they were purchased in September, and have free skated twice, and played about 10 games in them. Not sure if that qualifies as new or not.

FLYLine24 12-10-2009 05:45 PM

Sometimes this happens to me, I don't know why. When I take my skate off its the worst. It only happens like once every two dozen times I play though. My skates are very broken in.

BadHammy* 12-10-2009 05:50 PM

It could also be a volume issue where part of your foot is being pinched and just barely cuts into the circulation, very gradually.

Hockeyfan68 12-10-2009 06:49 PM

This only happens to me when my skates are too tight. I try to leave the bottom part kinda tight but almost loose and I tighten the ankle pretty good.

When I do that I have no problems.

I think your skates are just laced too tightly.

Keetz 12-13-2009 05:45 PM

could be
Raynaud's Syndrome

If you had a bad frostbite on your toes ever you'll have this.

cptjeff 12-13-2009 06:15 PM

I'm betting you just need to loosen the lacing at the toe. Try just tightening from the 4th eyelet up.

Your boot may not have enough volume, but changing lacing should fix that. And there is no 'proper' lacing technique, it's all PP. Outside in is pretty standard, but inside out is fine too, and some people have said it makes a difference.

noobman 12-13-2009 06:33 PM

It sounds like your circulation is being cut off, as other people have mentioned. When you're tying up your skates, the goal is to maximize the amount of energy transfer from your foot to the blade. If your foot is sliding around a lot in the boot, you won't get this. You'll also risk breaking your ankle!!!

If you tie your skates too tight, you'll be cutting off the circulation to your feet. Your feet will hurt, and you won't be able to skate very well either.

What you want to do is keep the boot moderately snug most of the way up your foot. Some people like it very tight at the toes... I prefer it a little looser. At about the 4th to last eyelet, you'll want to start tugging them very tightly. This will lock the heel of your foot into the back of the boot. How you do it from here up depends on your foot, skating style, and preference. I like to do the 4th and 3rd eyelets VERY VERY tight, then do the 2nd to last eyelet moderately snug. The 2nd to last eyelet is moderately snug for me. I need it tight enough to prevent my skates from wobbling left and right, but not so tight that I can't bend my ankles forward. I don't do up the last eyelet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keetz (Post 22635499)
could be
Raynaud's Syndrome

If you had a bad frostbite on your toes ever you'll have this.

I really wish I hadn't looked that up :cry: BRUUUTAL!!!

Anyways, if what everyone else has said doesn't apply, it might just be because your feet are cold. I've had the flesh on my toes feel like ice from playing too long on an outdoor ice surface.

Jarick 12-14-2009 12:17 PM

I also agree the skates are likely too tight.

I lace my skates very loose in warmups because when you get warmed up and blood goes to the muscles, it will make your feet a little bigger. So I take some laps and shots with the skates fairly loose, then right before the game I tighten them up just a bit. I have stiff skates and wax laces so if they are tight at all it will make my feet numb.

I also wear really thin dress socks while skating. Keeps me from getting blisters but the skates still fit tight.

Did you get them baked? Skate baking will conform them to your feet and open the skates up a bit. A good shop will let you re-bake the skates, which you might need. Modern skates are too stiff to really "break in", so you might ask about that. I need to get mine done again...

Trailwood 01-04-2010 09:00 PM

check the width of your skates as well. They may also be too narrow. take them into a quality shop.

mememe000 01-05-2010 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailwood (Post 23007564)
check the width of your skates as well. They may also be too narrow. take them into a quality shop.

That's the issue I have.

I have to wait at least 5 minutes after taking my skates off to walk again. They are CCM width E (and CCM's are normally wider as it is).

If you have a wide foot like me your going to have to get used to it. I've tried on so many skates and none have really worked.

Jarick 01-05-2010 10:08 AM

I had that same problem in normal width skates, went to wide, now no issues (for the most part). Guess I'm lucky my feet are only slightly abnormal.

maci4life 01-05-2010 01:16 PM

what skates do you have?

i get this on my ccms ( with the eyelet latch half way up the skate ) when i tighten the bottom part too tight. Unfortunately i don't notice until i get on the ice and the circulation starts cutting out slowly after time.

i try to go a little looser on the bottom then tighter on top.

gintonic 01-05-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maci4life (Post 23016614)
what skates do you have?

i get this on my ccms ( with the eyelet latch half way up the skate ) when i tighten the bottom part too tight. Unfortunately i don't notice until i get on the ice and the circulation starts cutting out slowly after time.

i try to go a little looser on the bottom then tighter on top.

I have Bauer Vapor X30

NigelSPNKr 01-05-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mememe000 (Post 23011534)
That's the issue I have.

I have to wait at least 5 minutes after taking my skates off to walk again. They are CCM width E (and CCM's are normally wider as it is).

If you have a wide foot like me your going to have to get used to it. I've tried on so many skates and none have really worked.

Thats not right man.

Doesnt CCM make a EE or a EEE?

RaoulDuke2k 01-05-2010 04:06 PM

I had a similar issue wearing Graf 703's, which are narrow. I had to lightly tighten the forefoot or else I would get a lot of pain and/or numbness. Even then, if I skated for several hours, my feet would hurt.

Eventually I moved to a wider skate and could tighten them normally. My feet never have any issues now.

It's really worth getting the right skate for your foot - you'll usually see immediate dividends.

gintonic 02-24-2010 03:25 PM

Just to follow up on this since I originally posted this a couple months ago -

Experimenting with different things has revealed that I must have had the laces tied too tight. I've not been tying the skates as tightly as I was prior and I've not had any of that numbness stuff occur. In addition, I've found that there's a little more 'feel' when taking turns by not having them as tight.

Hopefully this might help those having similar experiences. And thanks to all that replied with recommendations.