HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sweden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   [SWE] World Cup roster (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=71380)

mooseisloose 04-16-2004 03:19 PM

[SWE] World Cup roster

When do they announce for the world cup rosters? Do you think there is any chance that Johan Hedberg will play in the world cup?? If he does, I would love to visit Sweden to watch him play! I have Sweden Jersey with his name's on!

Robertsson 4-ever 04-16-2004 04:16 PM

The rosters is to be announced between 10-15 May. Sweden's roster will be announced May 12th with 3 goalies and 23 skaters.

I think there is a good chance Hedberg will be on the roster, although he probably won't be the starter. Either Sweden go with experienced Salo or Mikael Tellqvist, who had a breakthrough last World Championships, when he took over from Salo in the semifinal. IF Henrik Lundqvist or Stefan Liv (both from the SEL) plays well in the World Champs they could be considered for the World Cup, but probably our three only NHL goaltenders (Salo, Hedberg, Tellqvist) will be selected. If one of those is to be removed for one of the SEL goalis, it will be Hedberg IMO.

Fredrik 04-16-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
If one of those is to be removed for one of the SEL goalis, it will be Hedberg IMO.

You're probably right but which one of them is the best keeper anyway? What do people in NA think? I'm not convinced Salo or Tellqvist is better than Hedberg.

Robertsson 4-ever 04-16-2004 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik
You're probably right but which one of them is the best keeper anyway? What do people in NA think? I'm not convinced Salo or Tellqvist is better than Hedberg.

Well, not me either, it's difficult to compare them. One reason to choose Liv or Lundqvost could be to give them experience for the future, but I think we should go with the best team, and that includes Salo, Hedberg and Tellqvist IMO. It could very well tunr out to be Salo who is our third guy.

If I put it like this: I would be very surprised if Johan Hedberg is our starter in WC. But he is at the moment better than both Liv and Lundqvist IMO. Especially as the tournament is played in small rinks (yeah, a guy on the german board told me they are rebuilding their surfarce for the tourney, so I assume we're going to do the same in Sweden).

dw2927 04-16-2004 10:39 PM

I'm far from being an expert on European hockey, but i've always heard that it is often difficult for goalies playing in European Olympic sheets to adjust to the different angles...so perhaps if a SEL goalie is named to the roster he would probably not play once the rounds begin in NA.

I think Salo and Hedberg are pretty equal from what i've seen..Tellqvist was in such a pressure cooker in T.O. after Kidd stunk it up, that I think its difficult to tell how good he is right now..He did lead Sweden to silver in the WC's though..

I have to love Hedberg, because I recently saw a little blurb that noted that his favorite movie was "the usual suspects"...

dw2927 04-16-2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

Well, not me either, it's difficult to compare them. One reason to choose Liv or Lundqvost could be to give them experience for the future, but I think we should go with the best team, and that includes Salo, Hedberg and Tellqvist IMO. It could very well tunr out to be Salo who is our third guy.

If I put it like this: I would be very surprised if Johan Hedberg is our starter in WC. But he is at the moment better than both Liv and Lundqvist IMO. Especially as the tournament is played in small rinks (yeah, a guy on the german board told me they are rebuilding their surfarce for the tourney, so I assume we're going to do the same in Sweden).

oops, that rink resizing shoots my theory somewhat, maybe they won't name any SEL keepers..

Poikilitic 04-17-2004 12:49 AM

Who is gonna be Captain of the Swedish team?

Robertsson 4-ever 04-17-2004 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulcrum
Who is gonna be Captain of the Swedish team?

Most probably Mats Sundin, he was the captain in the Olympics.

There are many other leaders in the team, but he is the best choice IMO.

BuppY 04-28-2004 02:18 PM

Sweden most likely choose Tellqvist, Hedberg, and Salo.. I think the starter will be names after a few exhibition games.. and Sundin most likely will be the captain ..

:banana:

Robertsson 4-ever 04-28-2004 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuppY
Sweden most likely choose Tellqvist, Hedberg, and Salo.. I think the starter will be names after a few exhibition games.. and Sundin most likely will be the captain ..

:banana:

´
If Henrik Lundqvist does a good World Championship he could very well turn out to be number three. It would be good experience for him.

Seiza 04-29-2004 12:49 AM

Quote:

´
If Henrik Lundqvist does a good World Championship he could very well turn out to be number three. It would be good experience for him.

I think he will. Hedberg didn't even seem to be considered to ask about the World champs. Perhaps Hardy feels Liv, Lundqvist and Hedberg are pretty equal? The smaller rinks could be a problem for them though..

Vman 04-30-2004 04:29 PM

I think Hedberg should be the starter, or at least the backup.

zecke26 05-01-2004 11:06 AM

no matter who plays, please no salo. i'd put tellqvist between the pipes, hedberg as the backup and the third goalie should be either liv, lundqvist or holmqvist (the almost forgotten one).

Lubutus 05-01-2004 01:42 PM

Lundqvist is dominating the WC at the moment. If he is just as impressive in the final rounds he will compete for the position as starting goalie.

Maelmoor 05-01-2004 02:55 PM

I would go for Lundqvist, Tellqvist and Salo, I would like to pick Liv but I think its important to have a goalie with experience in the squad.

Predatore 05-01-2004 03:55 PM

I would go with the following

1) Tellqvist - starter
2) Lundqvist - back-up
3) Salo - third goalie, giving the younger guys some tips and tricks :)

Kronblom 05-02-2004 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predatore
I would go with the following

1) Tellqvist - starter
2) Lundqvist - back-up
3) Salo - third goalie, giving the younger guys some tips and tricks :)

I would go with the same trio but with Lundqvist as the 3rd goalie.

Robertsson 4-ever 05-02-2004 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronblom
I would go with the same trio but with Lundqvist as the 3rd goalie.

Agreed. To have Salo on the bench feels more comfortable, besides, most of the players know him and know how he plays. It wouldn't be fare if Tellqvist fails, and then put in Lundqvist, especially on small rinks.

Predatore 05-02-2004 06:54 AM

I see your points. Should probably explain that I am pretty anti-Salo. Nothing personal, but I honestly not think he has been the same since the Belarus and I highly doubt he is better than Lundqvist, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Liv is better as well. But then again, he is experienced and used to the smaller rinks.. so he is a lock to make the team IMO.

Though I hardly see a "goaltending problem" for the Swedish team, I wish we had that true #1 goalie, a star in the NHL.

Robertsson 4-ever 05-02-2004 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predatore
Though I hardly see a "goaltending problem" for the Swedish team, I wish we had that true #1 goalie, a star in the NHL.

Last season we had two in Hedberg and Salo and this season we have none truly number one. Hopefully the starter is coming though, as we have four potentials (Tellqvist, Liv, Lundqvist, Holmqvist) that all probably will play in NA next season. Hedberg may get a contract offer, but I doubt it. Same with Salo.

* Tellqvist will be back-up to Belfour next season, anything else is a surprise. He showed this season he has the tools to become a starter, and he is just 25 years old this year.

* Holmqvist, if I don't remember wrong, have a one-way contract next season, and Minnesota hardly can't afford to have in the minors. He will be at least back-up next season, and he is just 26 this year, nothing for a goalie. Proven winner, both with Brynäs and Houston.

* Lundqvist will most probably play with NY Rangers next season, where in the organization is more uncertain. Rangers have a lot of goalies to choose from: Lundqvist, Larbarbera, Dunham, McLennan, Blackburn, Valiquette. Two of these are likely to be gone for the nest season.

* Liv maybe will get a contract from Detroit, but he will in that case start in the AHL. Liv is the most hard guy to tell if he is gonna have success or not, but that's his whole playing style. When he's good he is really good but when he plays bad, he is bad.

Kronblom 05-02-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Hedberg may get a contract offer, but I doubt it. Same with Salo.

Tommy Salo, isn´t he heading back home to Sweden and Västerås? Or was it MoDo? Personally I wouldn´t mind see him car-pool with Peter Popovic to Södertälje...

Robertsson 4-ever 05-02-2004 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronblom
Tommy Salo, isn´t he heading back home to Sweden and Västerås? Or was it MoDo? Personally I wouldn´t mind see him car-pool with Peter Popovic to Södertälje...

If he gets an offer to stay in NHL, I really think he'll stay. But as I said, I doubt he'll get an offer.

Predatore 05-03-2004 11:00 AM

BTW, will world cup count as a tournament during the 2003/04 season or a tournament during the 2004/05 season, what do you think? :)