HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Recalled/Assigned: Nylander Rejoins Griffins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=714075)

Filppula 12-13-2009 07:57 PM

Nylander Rejoins Griffins
 
Yeah we've got a GR thread but I think this deserves it's own.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index....ylander_r.html

Quote:

Michael Nylander is returning to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

The 37-year-old NHL veteran is expected to suit up for the Griffins’ game at Peoria on Tuesday night after clearing waivers over the weekend.

The Washington Capitals, who still retain his rights, assigned Nylander to the Griffins in late October for a two-week conditioning stint, and the center had one goal, five assists and a plus-1 rating in five games

sarcastro 12-13-2009 09:07 PM

Re-entry waivers?

Washington Capitals 12-14-2009 02:44 AM

He's been loaned to the Griffins. The basic ideas is that the Caps will continue to pay his $5.5 million salary, but Nylander won't count against the salary cap and it opens a spot on the 23-man roster.

aar000n 12-14-2009 06:41 AM

what happens if we decide to bring him up can we?

Washington Capitals 12-14-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aar000n (Post 22642956)
what happens if we decide to bring him up can we?

I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

ProPAIN 12-14-2009 08:40 AM

I hope he can play for the Wings. Age is not on his side but will definitely bring the depth we need. Where would he fit? 4th line Center or put Datsyuk on the wing and put Nylander with him. I'm excited to see what happens, cause we need some help in offense.

jacK 12-14-2009 10:00 AM

he's not our property, so unless we trade for him or claim him on re-entry, he can't play for the Wings.

i don't know why he's loaned to GR instead of Hershey (either time), maybe Washington doesn't want him near their prospects, but his conditioning stint a few weeks ago here went well, so he's back for the rest of the year (barring trade/recall.)

sarcastro 12-14-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProPAIN (Post 22643599)
I hope he can play for the Wings. Age is not on his side but will definitely bring the depth we need. Where would he fit? 4th line Center or put Datsyuk on the wing and put Nylander with him. I'm excited to see what happens, cause we need some help in offense.

He's not Wings property so they can't call him up. They would have to either trade for him or the Caps would have to call him up and have the Wings claim him on re-entry waivers. Then the Wings would be on the hook for half of his contract (2.something this year and next) and the Caps would eat the rest.

He could have filled the 2nd line center spot while Flip was out, if they had done this 6 weeks ago. Since they didn't and Flip is coming back soon, I don't imagine they would go for it now.

Maybe if they are still struggling after Flip and Williams come back they would consider it, but Flip is coming back in a week or two, then Williams is back a week or two after that, then Kronwall and Cleary are due back soon after that, then Franzen is back sometime too. The time to make a move has passed, from the look of it.

zecke26 12-14-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacK (Post 22644355)
i don't know why he's loaned to GR instead of Hershey (either time), maybe Washington doesn't want him near their prospects, but his conditioning stint a few weeks ago here went well, so he's back for the rest of the year (barring trade/recall.)

because they don't want him to take away ice-time from their prospects. that was the reason given. but to me it looks more like they want to piss off nyllet as much as possible. i think the whole nylander situation is awful and i hope i never see such a treatment to players in detroit.

and the griffins need help IMO. the team is not that good. and they lack some leadership it seems. nylander chose the griffins and i think it's because they always had some swedes the past years and because they are a good franchise. i think they have a good reputation.

the caps finally get rid of nyllet, the griffins get a player they need and nylander finally can play hockey again. all three parties win.

sarcastro 12-14-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zecke26 (Post 22644409)
because they don't want him to take away ice-time from their prospects. that was the reason given. but to me it looks more like they want to piss off nyllet as much as possible. i think the whole nylander situation is awful and i hope i never see such a treatment to players in detroit.

and the griffins need help IMO. the team is not that good. and they lack some leadership it seems. nylander chose the griffins and i think it's because they always had some swedes the past years and because they are a good franchise. i think they have a good reputation.

the caps finally get rid of nyllet, the griffins get a player they need and nylander finally can play hockey again. all three parties win.

If Z or Franzen decide they want to play out their contracts and are clearly out of gas by the end, the Wings will have to demote them like this. Probably not to someone else's farm team, but if the "handshake agreements" to retire when they are out of gas are not honored, those players will have to be clipped one way or another. It's one thing to have a guy like Maltby around chewing up 900k of cap room for nothing, but it's something else to have guys chewing up 4 or 5 or 6 mil in cap room for nothing.

stug* 12-14-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcastro (Post 22644459)
If Z or Franzen decide they want to play out their contracts and are clearly out of gas by the end, the Wings will have to demote them like this. Probably not to someone else's farm team, but if the "handshake agreements" to retire when they are out of gas are not honored, those players will have to be clipped one way or another. It's one thing to have a guy like Maltby around chewing up 900k of cap room for nothing, but it's something else to have guys chewing up 4 or 5 or 6 mil in cap room for nothing.

Why?
They have contracts the teams should honor the contracts or dont pay them that much.

zecke26 12-14-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcastro (Post 22644459)
If Z or Franzen decide they want to play out their contracts and are clearly out of gas by the end, the Wings will have to demote them like this. Probably not to someone else's farm team, but if the "handshake agreements" to retire when they are out of gas are not honored, those players will have to be clipped one way or another. It's one thing to have a guy like Maltby around chewing up 900k of cap room for nothing, but it's something else to have guys chewing up 4 or 5 or 6 mil in cap room for nothing.

and you think there was such an agreement in nyllet's case?

he was signed 2 years ago to a 4y contract. wasn't it by the same GM who tries to get rid of him now?

RedMenace 12-14-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stug (Post 22644594)
Why?
They have contracts the teams should honor the contracts or dont pay them that much.

Sadly, the concepts of "honour" and "business" rarely go hand-in-hand.

Drake1588 12-14-2009 10:50 AM

The Caps don't necessarily believe that Nylander's skills have completely eroded, but he plays a cerebral east-west style that meshed extremely well with Jagr in Washington and New York, but which is antithetical to the system that Bruce Boudreau preached in Hershey en route to a Calder Cup before he was frocked to head coaching duties in Washington, and Bob Woods preached in Hershey en route to a Calder Cup before he was frocked to be Boudreau's assistant in Washington. The two teams deliberately play the same aggressive north-south system, and Nylander wasn't able to adapt to it.

The Caps have stockpiled a large number of first and second rounders in recent years, and there is a glut on the farm. On top of that, Hershey spends money on veteran AHL talent, which translates to a bit of a logjam in Hershey for roster spots. There are good Capitals prospects percolating in ECHL South Carolina because there isn't room in Hershey to give them enough minutes (Joe Finley, Trevor Bruess, Josh Godfrey, Braden Holtby). By contrast, Nylander had a productive time in Grand Rapids and meshed there.

That is presumably why this destination was high on the list if Nylander decided to go the AHL route, rather than the Elitserien, SM-Liiga or KHL. Could Nylander, in theory, take time away from a prospect? I suppose so, but Detroit and Grand Rapids management have a veto in either case, so presumably they both signed off on it as a move that would not pose a conflict.

As a Caps fan, I wish Nylander the best, but of course am glad for the roster and cap space. I have no doubt he will be a productive Griffin and a good mentor/tutor to Wings prospects there.

txpd 12-14-2009 10:56 AM

1. The Capitals are honoring the contract. They are paying it. This gives Nylander a chance to play rather than not play.

2. Nylander was a good player for the style of hockey the Caps played before changing coaches. With Boudreau, Nylander's skill set goes against the grain of how the Caps play. Given a more normal situation Washington would have traded him to a team that could better use his skills. Because of the size of his contract and his NMC it was impossible to do that. It was easier to just scratch him.

3. The reason he is not in Hershey is because they play the same style as the Capitals which he is not a good fit and the Caps roster is full down thru the ECHL. Grand Rapids was Nylander's choice.

Howard35 12-14-2009 11:34 AM

This will only help GR...

SirKillalot 12-14-2009 11:37 AM

Is there any chance we can find a way to pay the cap on his contract if he goes on re-entry waivers? How much cap do we have to move/get rid of to fetch him?

Drake1588 12-14-2009 11:41 AM

The chances that the Caps put him on re-entry waivers, especially now that he is completely off the cap are essentially nil. They need those cap dollars for next season, when RFAs Backstrom, Semin and Fleischmann all get new contracts. Those cap space dollars are going to be critical.

sarcastro 12-14-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zecke26 (Post 22644603)
and you think there was such an agreement in nyllet's case?

he was signed 2 years ago to a 4y contract. wasn't it by the same GM who tries to get rid of him now?

No I mean the Wings players are rumored to have made those agreements, to get off the cap in the last years of the deal when their salaries will be low but their cap hits will be high.

I don't think they would have discussed that with Nylander on a 2 or 3 year deal.

RedMenace 12-14-2009 12:51 PM

It's pretty likely that Nylander will be a deadline deal for someone... and if someone on the Wings doesn't pick up the slack (read: Filppula, Valtteri), I could definitely see Holland making a pass at him.

HockeyinHD 12-14-2009 01:29 PM

I mention this over on Kukla's but I think if the Caps threw in a little something extra Malakhov style Detroit would probably take the Nylander contract off their hands.

I mean, Franzen's not coming back until mid February at the earliest, and with him on LTIR that effectively covers Nylander's cap hit until then.

And if the season keeps going on like it has, it's not out of the realm of possibility plenty of other forwards will be hurt by then, too.

Even if the team is totally healthy by mid-february and they have to make a roster move, I'd have to think that getting to play 2 months of NHL hockey in Detroit and having a pretty decent shot to be on the playoff (thinking positively) roster in April would be a more appealing prospect to Nylander than playing for GR while the Caps try and figure out if they have the guts to really embarass the guy by optioning him down to the ECHL and trying to force him to retire.

I think the larger issue should be whether Nylander can actually help the Wings or not. I haven't seen him play in quite a while so I have no real idea... but when Detroit is putting Justin Abdelkader on a second line and having a terrible time scoring any goals, I can't help but think it'd be tough for Nylander to be anything but an offensive improvement.

RedMenace 12-14-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyinHD (Post 22647393)
I think the larger issue should be whether Nylander can actually help the Wings or not. I haven't seen him play in quite a while so I have no real idea... but when Detroit is putting Justin Abdelkader on a second line and having a terrible time scoring any goals, I can't help but think it'd be tough for Nylander to be anything but an offensive improvement.

He's still got the juice as far as playmaking goes, if his stint in GR was anything to go by. The only issue comes when Filppula becomes healthy...

Drake1588 12-14-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attack Llama (Post 22646772)
It's pretty likely that Nylander will be a deadline deal for someone... and if someone on the Wings doesn't pick up the slack (read: Filppula, Valtteri), I could definitely see Holland making a pass at him.

Really? I'd say you could make a strong case that it's almost impossible that Nylander gets traded under that contract, with the extra year that carries a $4.875M cap hit. He's buried.

Drake1588 12-14-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyinHD (Post 22647393)
I mention this over on Kukla's but I think if the Caps threw in a little something extra Malakhov style Detroit would probably take the Nylander contract off their hands.

The Caps no longer need help. He is off the cap. All they are doing is paying him, which they are prepared to do now. They're free. They aren't going to pick up any part of the cap, which is why he's buried in the first place. Too expensive in any contender's cap calculus.

RedMenace 12-14-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 22647483)
Really? I'd say you could make a strong case that it's almost impossible that Nylander gets traded under that contract, with the extra year that carries a $4.875M cap hit. He's buried.

Well, it really depends on how desperate anyone is, to be quite honest.

For example, the Wings will have Lidstrom's salaray either totally gone or decently reduced next season. I'm not saying it WILL happen, just that given the proper circumstances, it most definitely could.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.