HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Darren Eliot on 590AM Toronto...bout Kovy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=716958)

ThrasherMinion 12-21-2009 04:04 PM

Darren Eliot on 590AM Toronto...bout Kovy

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...21_134617_7608

Around the 11:00 mark, the question comes up about the 2000 lb. Waffle in the Room.

First thing they ask is if there may be trouble....DE cuts the question off saying, "Oh ya, it's already in trouble" or something to that effect. He says something has changed in the past month (when Kovy met w/Grossman in NY and Kovy's last "giddy-up game?).

He thinks it's become politicized with the KHL crap and with the next Olympics in Sochi (speculative on Eliot's part, but he thinks it's going to be difficult to get something completed).

He did say the owners were totally committed to getting something done, but they aren't going to float the franchise down the river for it.

Personally, I don't think it does Grossman any good to threaten that Kovy will go to the KHL because Kovalchuk has a Russian agent over there and it would seem Grossman wouldn't see the big payoff if that happened.

btn 12-21-2009 04:12 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Elliot is a shill for the org? If he says there is trouble, it is probably much worse than he lets on.

AintLifeGrand 12-21-2009 04:15 PM

If thats what DE is saying then Kovy is long gone.

FrenchKheldar 12-21-2009 05:07 PM

If Sochi is a problem, we'll sign him for 3 years, at 8M$, ain't no problem... But yeah it looks worse and worse every day Rich Peverley makes...

The Sneak 12-21-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky17 (Post 22781909)
http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...21_134617_7608

Personally, I don't think it does Grossman any good to threaten that Kovy will go to the KHL because Kovalchuk has a Russian agent over there and it would seem Grossman wouldn't see the big payoff if that happened.

I think this Russian agent is being blown out of proportion. I'm sure his representation in the motherland is for licensing, advertising, events, national team appearances and the like back home. I'm sure Grossman has complete control over his professional contracts. If Kovalchuk elects to go to the KHL to play Grossman will still get paid.

The only reason I don't want Ilya to go play in the "K" is because it will minimize his return when we trade him. If he declares early that he's going back and the other teams know that he is a true rental? It's a Hossa situation and we're going to get pennies against the dollar in return

DungeonK 12-21-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn (Post 22782022)
Am I the only one who thinks Elliot is a shill for the org? If he says there is trouble, it is probably much worse than he lets on.

I've spoken with DE at local hockey rinks before and he has been as candid as you or I are on here, don't really think he pulls his punches anywhere but the official broadcast (and even there isn't afraid to admit it when we play like crap, I just doubt he wants to come off as overly-negative)

btn 12-21-2009 07:08 PM

The Thrashers Moderator on the official board posted the interview and pointed out where on the interview to find the Ilya comments. Smells like an official leak to me. Custance will likely have something on it before Christmas.
Posted via Mobile Device

GetPucksDeep 12-21-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn (Post 22782022)

You're not alone.

GetPucksDeep 12-21-2009 08:13 PM

Kovalchuk Contract Negotiations Hit "Snag." Vivlamore

Quote:

Contract negotiations between Ilya Kovalchuk and the Thrashers have hit a "snag" general manager Don Waddell said Monday.
Enlarge photo
Ilya Kovalchuk, who is scheduled to become a free agent following the season, reiterated Monday that he would like to remain with the Thrashers.
Gregory Smith, AP Ilya Kovalchuk, who is scheduled to become a free agent following the season, reiterated Monday that he would like to remain with the Thrashers.
More Sports stories Ľ

"Our position is different than his position right now," Waddell told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution before Monday night's game with Montreal. "Their position is fixed years with money and we have a different side of that.

"That's what we have to work through. We've gotten through every thing else, now we have to make it through that."

Waddell's agent, Jay Grossman, met with Waddell in Atlanta over the weekend. Waddell said he remained optimistic that a new deal would get done. ....

btn 12-21-2009 08:54 PM

Fixed years and money, who does this Kovalchuk guy think he is? :sarcasm:

What did the Thrashers do, offer him some shiny beads and a large box with a question mark on it?

Telfo 12-21-2009 08:56 PM

fixed years and money.... CANT HAVE BOTH!

btn 12-21-2009 08:57 PM

That is one of the worst quotes DW has ever given.

dj4aces 12-21-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telfo (Post 22788076)
fixed years and money.... CANT HAVE BOTH!

This has always been what Kovalchuk wants. Long term with guaranteed money per year. None of this funny stuff like what Hossa got, with three or four years of huge bucks.

Georgia Dawg 12-21-2009 09:22 PM

I am so ready for this to be over.

ThrasherMinion 12-21-2009 11:01 PM

Waddell: Hey Grossman, "Whatchya want, A COOKIE???"

Grossman: "Money and Years"

Waddell: "All we have are smoke and mirrors."

Grossman: "Heatley, Savard, Hossa, Kovy. Later dude."

Section119 12-21-2009 11:08 PM

I heard on one of the XM shows that Ilya's agent asked for ten years at $11.2 million per year.

atleternal 12-21-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Section119 (Post 22793788)
I heard on one of the XM shows that Ilya's agent asked for ten years at $11.2 million per year.

And that is pretty close to what heís going to get.

Heís going to get paid the max salary allowed, or extremely close to it with the Thrashers.

The ownership group knows that they canít let him walk over money as it would kill the STH base to let another star player like Kovalchuk walk.

He and Grossman are just looking for concessions in the contract at this point.

Iím not saying thatís the right thing for ownership to do, but you have to consider the ramifications of them not re-signing him.

Then again I could be totally off base about this whole deal...:P

dj4aces 12-21-2009 11:47 PM

I sure as hell would not sign Kovalchuk at such a high dollar amount. That's handcuffing the team and the ownership for whatever number of years he's signed for. That's no way to win championships.

If Grossman actually and realistically asked for that much money, then he's doing only one thing: High-balling.

ThrasherMinion 12-22-2009 12:01 AM

I think Waddell was being smug from the start figuring that giving him the "C" and bringing in the guys he wanted would earn Donnie the "hometown discount." I'm thinking the reality of dollars and years hit Waddell in the face at the NY meeting. Kovy figured the team would answer back really close and when it didn't, his play dropped off, either through disappointment or resentment.

It's going to be a real shame when Kovy is dealt from the team that "he built" this summer. I have a feeling that Waddell will ask for permission to sit down with Kovy and if he really, really wants to stay, he won't trade him. It may have to wait until summer when there's a better feel on the cap and the revenue that the team takes in. I just hope it doesn't jeopardize a deal for Afinogenov and Kubina. Don't really care about Armstrong either way.

John Cena* 12-22-2009 12:22 AM

As much as i love Kovy, do not sign him for 11 mil or more.

atleternal 12-22-2009 12:38 AM

I feel heís going to sign, but itís going to cost the team long term.

I also believe concessions are holding up the contract negations at this point.

Kovy will be a Thrasher long term, but itís going to kick us in the ass a few years from now.

HOW MANY MORE RUSSIANS CAN WE GET ON THIS TEAM FOR GODíS SAKE???

Andrei Markov would be nice, as would Kubina. :nod:

John Cena* 12-22-2009 12:56 AM

the one thing i don't understand is that if Kovy wants to win and according to him he wants to win as a Thrasher, than why would he want 11.3 and jepordize the teams future?

As for more Russians on this team, i'd proudly take Volchenkov.

Trade Hainsey, White, and a draft pick for Volchenkov... is that to much for a UFA?

We dump cap and get a good solid defensemen, whom i think we can re-sign long term.

CaptainKishimoto 12-22-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan (Post 22795633)
the one thing i don't understand is that if Kovy wants to win and according to him he wants to win as a Thrasher, than why would he want 11.3 and jepordize the teams future?

As for more Russians on this team, i'd proudly take Volchenkov.

Trade Hainsey, White, and a draft pick for Volchenkov... is that to much for a UFA?

We dump cap and get a good solid defensemen, whom i think we can re-sign long term.

When I read this, I thought you finally knew what you were talking about...And then you decided to go back to good ol' ASF =[

John Cena* 12-22-2009 01:04 AM

what do you mean?

please don't even say thats a bad proposal for us

Shameus 12-22-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetNoneIn (Post 22786232)

Translation: KYA

DW is setting the ground work for this to go south.....if it does.

Chucky, this is nothing like "He Who Shall Not Be Named" or Savard. Asked to be let go and traded; and team let him walk due to financial and other reasons. I don't like the change in his comments and the let down in play does remind me of the hossa ordeal though.