HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Le$$on in buying skates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=717471)

trisgale 12-22-2009 11:03 PM

Le$$on in buying skates

I've been lurking this board trying to get info on how to buy/fit skates. This is just my story and hope someone (newbie, who really doesn't know how to fit skates) who is looking to get skates for the first time can benefit from this.

Thanks for everyone giving advice on this board, however me being a knucklehead didn't listen very well. Everyone on this message board giving advice about getting skates ultimately say, make sure the skate fits, doesn't matter if it looks cool or its the top of the line, make sure it fits!!!!

Well basically ignored that, I thought the Nike/Bauer One75 was pretty cool and went to LHS and I think I convinced myself they fit because I walked out with them. My feet were killing me and was told to give them time to break in, but I couldn't break them in because my feet hurt so bad I couldn't skate, loose bottom tight top etc., super thin socks, no luck. I don't think I could blame the LHS fitter because I told him they felt great, when obviously they didn't.

Next lesson: Well hell, I wasn't very happy with my first experience, so I went and bought some Vapors and made sure they weren't to tight in the mid/front area. Fit some, great, no pressure points in the front area to make em hurt. Didn't really give any feedback to the fitter because I knew these were the ones!!! Skated on those and they sucked. Too big of a skate = very poor performance, and they can hurt too. Yes i'm an idiot.

Final lesson: If you work with your LHS fitter, ignore how cool the skate looks and give good feedback to him you will probably walk out with an excellent fitting skate. I took my boys to a public skate, and walked into their pro shop, talked to the shop manager and told him my experience, I took off my socks he looked at my feet and suggested a Graf 705, I was looking at a 735 and thought they look cooler! But wait, thats what screwed me the last 2 times. So I said alright bring out the 705's, I tried on the first pair and they felt good, I told him they feel pretty good, he looked at the laces and said, "hold on, were not done here, I think I can make them feel better" he pulled out the same size in a narrow!! WTH here we go, Narrow, my feet are gonna kill me now just like my first purchase. I didn't say a word and let him do his work. He baked them up and I put them on and I was finally amazed. These things fit like a glove! My heel was planted, mid/front area was nice and firm. I never thought a skate could actually fit this well. I finally skated on them today, and they feel just as good as they did when I fit them.

I'm not saying Graf 705 are the best skate, he could of pulled out a easton, ccm, bauer and if they fit like the 705's I woulda tried them. I'm just saying what most of you guys have always stated in the "what skate should I get" threads i read on this board......

Get fitted at your LHS and get the skate that fits you best!!!!

I hope some of you new skaters like me learn from my le$$on. Don't be an idiot like me.

Merry Christmas!!!! This forum is awesome!!!

Trailwood 01-04-2010 08:53 PM

I own the Bauer One 75's as well and they hurt like hell when i first bought them. I punched them out a few days later and they are now the best skates I've ever owned. The best recommendation that I can give to new skate buyers is don't give up too early on your skates. They do take some time to break in, and you might have to have them punched out to get them to fit right! Hang in there.... and oh yah... make sure they are the right skate in the first place!

The Tikkanen 01-04-2010 09:42 PM

I wanted to buy the One95's, they were on sale for $500. Tried them on and I had instant pain. So they had a pair of Vapor XXXX's except I wear an 8.5D and they only had an 8.5EE. I've been playing hockey for 16 years, have spent way too much money on equipment but I convinced myself that I should buy the skates because they fit so well. Yes they fit well but when I went to cross over it took about as much effort as I could muster. Skates were too wide for what I'm used to. Ending up buying a pair of Vapor60 LE's in an 8.5D and love them but would love them even more with the $400 I spent on the XXXX's. Lesson learned. It's amazing how you can talk yourself into wasting money.

SouthernSniper54 01-08-2010 04:20 PM

I guess I lucked out. I went and spent $250 on some used pro stock vapor xxxx's. Bought em from a buddy in Detroit that knows the Wings equipment manager. He said he didnt have 8Ds, only 7.5D. I said sure, in my 8's I usually have spare room. Well I got em in, (they had holmstrom stickers on the bottom of them) I tried em out and they fit like a glove, theyre the stiffest, lightest boot ive ever had and I love em. Just thought id share my good fortune.

Jarick 01-08-2010 04:42 PM

I tried on every single skate on the market in every size near mine as well as wide skates when possible before buying mine. It pays to do the homework. If they aren't comfy before baking, I don't think they're going to get a lot better afterwards.

Lososaurus 01-09-2010 12:06 AM

I have a pair of Bauer One55's and they took about 6 1-hour pickups and 6 1-hour public skates to break in. My feet were killing me after every skate during the break-in period. After the break-in period though, they fit like a glove, I can feel where they've molded to my foot and ankle and don't have any pain during or after skating.

However, I didn't say a word to the pro-shop employee who helped me, I let them work their magic. I guess the moral of the story is to trust your pro-shop guy and that the OneXX series take a while to break in, but are well worth it.

cptjeff 01-09-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lososaurus (Post 23093227)
I have a pair of Bauer One55's and they took about 6 1-hour pickups and 6 1-hour public skates to break in. My feet were killing me after every skate during the break-in period. After the break-in period though, they fit like a glove, I can feel where they've molded to my foot and ankle and don't have any pain during or after skating.

However, I didn't say a word to the pro-shop employee who helped me, I let them work their magic. I guess the moral of the story is to trust your pro-shop guy and that the OneXX series take a while to break in, but are well worth it.

Did you have them baked?