HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do we have the talent to win the cup? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=718150)

KingWantsCup 12-25-2009 12:21 PM

Do we have the talent to win the cup?

I was talking to one of my teachers yesterday who is also a big Rangers fan. I asked him what he thought about the Rangers season and so on and blah blah blah, then I spoke my view on the team. I said that we have 2 elite players and a bunch of third liners and we're best off tanking this season because I find it difficult to believe we'd even make it to the second round, if we even make the playoffs.

He then told me that that's not the direction the team should go and that he thinks the team has enough talent to win it all. What do you think?

Ranger Angst 12-25-2009 12:24 PM

I think your teacher was already in holiday mode.

tjs252 12-25-2009 12:25 PM

A hot goalie can take you anywhere.

t3hg00se 12-25-2009 12:26 PM

I think this team is a long shot, but with Marian freaking Gaborik and Henrik Lundqvist, you really never know. Gaborik and Lundqvist are elite, they may not be centers, but they are our Crosby and Malkin. If at anytime both of them go hot during the playoffs, we are going to upset a lot of people. Henrik Lundqvist alone almost single handedly took out the Capitals last season, imagine we had Marian Gaborik scoring a goal every other game in that series as well, we would have downed them in 5.

My point is, it all depends on whether or not Gaborik and Lundqvist play at the top of their game, if they do, we're a tough team to beat.

js10 12-25-2009 12:30 PM

nonsense. in order to win the cup, you need to have 3 producing lines. Until that happens, dream on.

Ola 12-25-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjs252 (Post 22840602)
A hot goalie can take you anywhere.

This always apply's.

Like can we beat the Caps or Pitts if they are on fire? Its probably close to impossible.

But its definitely not even guaranteed that you have to even beat one of those teams to make it out the east.

Or you can face like Pittsburgh without both Crosby and Malkin in a ECF's or whatever -- all it takes is de facto only two injury's.

The only time you really don't have a shot is when you have a older roster that relys on skill but that don't have durability.

LyNX27 12-25-2009 12:41 PM

A lot of things would have to happen at the right time during th eplay offs and we would need Cally, Lundqvist, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Avery at least to all play hot for at the minimum 16 games :laugh:

NYR MacTruck 12-25-2009 12:49 PM

i believe in team gaborqvist

MaximusT 12-25-2009 12:50 PM

Lundqvist, Gaborik....and Kovalchuk? then yes ahah

Emptyvoid 12-25-2009 12:51 PM

And the Bipolarness of this fanbase continues. I will put this into legendary words.

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!? I just want to win a damn game.

Let's make it through the season first before we talk about how far we might go or if we even make it. Because i guarantee the second we go on a three game losing streak (which we certainly will at least one more time) then the tank threads are going to rally up again.

McDonaghisGod 12-25-2009 12:51 PM

Anyone who thinks this team is good enough to win the cup hasn't watched them play.

Nick00 12-25-2009 12:52 PM

I knew this 4 game streak would mess with people's heads.

Even if (and this is a huge hypothetical) this team somehow found consistency and continued to play a complete game like they did against Florida, made the playoffs... they would probably not make it out of the first round.
This is assuming the roster hasn't changed much after the deadline... anything can happen though.

Can't wait until we play a team like NJ or Washington, who will expose all of the flaws which have been covered up by very good goaltending.

NYRangers84 12-25-2009 12:56 PM

I think if they play like they did in the first 7 games of the season or the win streak of late then they have a good chance especially with Lundy in net, anything is possible.

ThirdEye 12-25-2009 01:01 PM

Like Ola kind of alluded to, the only way we'll win is if the opposing team(s) choke big time or are riddled with injuries

I Am Chariot 12-25-2009 01:01 PM

Hard as it might be to ponder, we have all seen teams similar to the Rangers go far given the right series of events.

1. Healthy

2. The right tweaks at the deadline

3. Hot Goalie

4. Someone steps up to have the playoffs of their lifetime

5. Better teams don't meet points 1. 2. 3. and get eliminated from the bracket, thus clearing the way for cinderella

One of the great things about Hockey is that lower seeded teams DO make **** happen in the playoffs.

Its all about not peaking to early and being red hot in June.

Could Lundqvist be that good?

Could Gaborik have a dominating playoffs?

Do the Rangers have the assets to bring in the right twaks at the deadline?

Can Chris Drury score bigtime golas in the playoffs?

lbrowne 12-25-2009 01:24 PM

You're kidding me right?

For those that think we couldn't grind our way to the final you're blind. Elite goalie, league leading and basically elite scorer along with a young scrappy core can take you a good ways.

Many teams found themselves in the conference or Stanley cup finals based on determination and blue collar effort.

Heck, look at Edmonton in 06. Took out the President Trophy wings in the first round.... then San Jose...

They didn't have an elite goalie, and they didn't have someone comparable to Gaborik.

I think with Del Zotto, Staal and Girardi they can provide young legs and energy to bring it every night on the back end.

Do I think we'll do it this year? No. My point is, teams have gone deep with less than what we have.

In The Flesh 12-25-2009 01:29 PM

06 Oilers had a ton of character guys and vets that provided excellent chemistry.

This team has none of that.

King of cool 12-25-2009 01:33 PM

Patience is a vertue, not this year, built as we are.

Block More Shots 12-25-2009 01:34 PM

Any actual fan of the team who wants to see this team tank and lose is not a true fan IMO. I want this team to succeed every season and that's exactly what I expect out of them. Despite the fact we haven't made it past the 2nd round more recently, I always feel like we have a shot at the Cup...sure, some teams are better than others, but anything can happen in the playoffs. How can some of you call yourselves Ranger fans and say you want to see your team lose? It's ridiculous.

Henrik Lundqvist and Marian Gaborik give us a legitimate chance to go far IF we make the playoffs. If both of them are playing at the top of their games, there's absolutely no question that we will make noise in the playoffs.

The Mouth 12-25-2009 02:01 PM

I am not even sure this team could win the Calder cup. We have a bunch of third liners but no good third line. Hows that for irony ?

BroadwayBlues 12-25-2009 02:06 PM

Okay we win 4 in a row and there are questions whether we're cup contenders? :banghead: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO.

This team is a first round ouster waiting to happen. To avoid that they need to get a higher seed.

nyr2k2 12-25-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mouth (Post 22841170)
I am not even sure this team could win the Calder cup. We have a bunch of third liners but no good third line. Hows that for irony ?

Mouth wins post of the year. :laugh:

As to the original question...no, not close.

Nick00 12-25-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues (Post 22841197)
Okay we win 4 in a row and there are questions whether we're cup contenders? :banghead: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO.

This team is a first round ouster waiting to happen. To avoid that they need to get a higher seed.

Seems like the most recent 3 or 4 games always set the long term expectations around here.
I wish this board could stay level-headed throughout the ups and downs and be able to keep things in perspective.

Lose 4 in a row = Draft lottery
Win 4 in a row = Stanley cup

It's a little bit scary.

McMonster 12-25-2009 02:30 PM

Hah !

Kind of Blue 12-25-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 22840573)
I was talking to one of my teachers yesterday who is also a big Rangers fan. I asked him what he thought about the Rangers season and so on and blah blah blah, then I spoke my view on the team. I said that we have 2 elite players and a bunch of third liners and we're best off tanking this season...

stopped reading there.

tell you what though... we very nearly knocked out washington last year, and we're a better team this year considering we have gaborik and a serious power play. and nobody can really argue against that. so, you never know. just get in and then we'll see.